AWESOME! 48%  48%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Hoppy wrote:
jamoni wrote:
scottiej wrote:
just throwing it out there.... how about a 12ga single-shot over .357 lever action?

I can see a ton of problems with that.
1. Top eject is out, and side eject would have to be perfectly sideways.
2. Sights: you're going to have to put them on the shotty barrel. That would be real hard to make work.
3. Weight: lots of it.
4. shotty action: How are you going to load and eject?

Just seems like too much trouble. The beauty of the break action combo is that it's one simple action for both barrels.

stack magazine fed lever action ( See Winchester 1895)
Single shot shotgun barrel underneath with trapdoor loading.

BAM. solution :lol:

I'll get right on it! :wink:

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03 am 

Do you have any plans for this drawn up? Can we get some pics of what you have so far? I'm having trouble visualizing this weapon in my head. It sounds like a really great idea for a woods gun, and I'm looking forward to following this thread.

Good idea! :idea:

Valarius wrote:
War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength. Cake is Pie.

SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

This only bigger.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:22 pm 

...Well? :D

Valarius wrote:

SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm 

doesn't savage make one?????

I know they make .357 over a 20 guage.I have owned one.

the 24 series has some great combo's.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/1

-br-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:35 pm 

Sounds like a great idea to me.

But I'm well known for my idea of trying to figure out a way to make a sight that will work well with both barrels of a .22LR/.44Mag or .22LR/.30-30 combo rifle. I'm thinking a flip up sight like the peep/v-combo that some of the M6s have, just at different heights.

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:18 pm 

My dad has an over-under combo in .22 magnum and 20 gauge. That is a very nice combo. He can hunt anything in the area with two versatile loadings. He uses the shotgun more of course but it's nice to have that extra range and accuracy of the .22 mag.

Actually it would be nice if they made these guns in a variety of calibres. Some combination of pistol and shotgun loads. Does make the mind wander over the possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

DryGrain wrote:
...Well? :D

My bad, I thought I'd posted this. Basically, I don't have the gear to do this right: I need a proper mill.
Also, I'm focusing all my free time on getting my bike up and running, so no work on the gun.
I've decided I'll probably just end up making a .357 single shot, either break action or falling block. But not till the damn bike is running.

squinty wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 am 

Jeriah wrote:
Awesome, but would be even MORE awesome as a centerfire cartridge, carbine version of a LeMat, with a .357 revolver over a single 12 gauge barrel. As long as I'm dreaming.

HAH! I've said that exact same thing on this board.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm 

How about just an old O/U or S/S 12g and a barrel insert?

Its simple and cheap. Works. And is reversible.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... ts&spell=1

If I was limited to one or two firearms this would be a good option to add that extra caliber to fill a void in ability/range.

Like a high caliber rifle insert for long range hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm 

Cape Guns, yes they are a great idea. I prefer drillings, adds even more versatility. When I win the lottery I am going to have a custom set of drillings made in 410x410x22mag and 12x12x30-06. The short chamber inserts for centerfire pistol cartridges in SxS work okay but you do not get very good accuracy unless you hand load a load. They make full length centerfire rifle inserts for SxS but since the barrels are regulated for shotshells to make them work effectively you need to handload. I have seen folks with custom rimefire barrel inserts for their sharps that have great accuracy but you are working off excellent sights.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 pm 

You have to go with the combo of a long barreled saiga 12 converted to bullpup with a 16"barreled pistol under it.

Depending on the presure rating of the Saiga you could buy and reload 3" brass 12 gauge shells. Giving you semi-automatic near 700 nitro express ballistics, with a high powered revolver to back it up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Georgewelds wrote:
You have to go with the combo of a long barreled saiga 12 converted to bullpup with a 16"barreled pistol under it.

Depending on the presure rating of the Saiga you could buy and reload 3" brass 12 gauge shells. Giving you semi-automatic near 700 nitro express ballistics, with a high powered revolver to back it up.

Oh.

squinty wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:15 pm 

If the mags will fit a 3 inch shell.

Otherwise, why?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm 

Why not?
The Saiga 12 should be able to accept 3" shells. It would just be a matter of getting the seated bullet length to the right size.

Idealy you would want to make an over length, over strength reciever to accept 4" shotgun brass.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:48 am 

jamoni wrote:
Georgewelds wrote:

Oh.

:lol:

I don't think you understand, Jamoni. You HAVE to. Or it won't work. That guy said so.

Valarius wrote:

SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:17 am 

Here's an idea that may simplify the project, although it may change the design too much. How about making a single-shot shotgun, with a removable barrel, and a single-shot .357 barrel you can swap? I think Rossi makes ss rifles with a .22 barrel and a shotgun barrel. This would be the same, only with a heavier-hitting bullet. Not quite the combo gun you envisioned, but still a handy pack-along firearm.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 am 

how about a 20mm/.50bmg combo?

Saiga 12: 12g check

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Packin' Heat wrote:
how about a 20mm/.50bmg combo?

Maybe a drilling, with 20mm, .50 BMG, and a 40mm grenade launcher?
Anyway, I've gotten a design started for the .357 barrel, doing it as a blowback single shot. Why? Because that simplifies receiver design (a tube), extraction (no extractor) bolt design (big chunk of steel), and the only downside is that it will be heavy as hell. The only real concern I have is the dual nature of the .38/.357. I'm concerned that if I make the bolt heavy enough to handle .357, it won't cycle with .38, but If I make it light enough for .38 that .357 will blow back too fast and vent gas into the action. I'll probably settle for making it heavy and having poor ejection with the .38s.

squinty wrote: