Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 pm 

I just purchased a new rifle with a synth stock. It didn't come with sling swivel studs.

Is it as simple as drilling a pilot hole and installing them, or is this something a gunsmith should handle?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm 

It really depends... there's synthetic stocks and there's synthetic stocks... you know? Any more information on the stock in question?

The Gray Man: Or How To Be Invisible:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

SeaTea1967 wrote:
Is it as simple as drilling a pilot hole and installing them, or is this something a gunsmith should handle?

Generally speaking, yes. I must echo the request for more information though before you start drilling.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:13 pm 

ista_hota wrote:
It really depends... there's synthetic stocks and there's synthetic stocks... you know? Any more information on the stock in question?

It's a brand new Remington 597.

Looks just like this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 am 

SeaTea1967 wrote:
ista_hota wrote:

It's a brand new Remington 597.

Looks just like this one.

Say, that's nice. Did you get it with the scope, or iron sights? I've been meaning to pick up a .22, and was happy to see they still make the Speedmaster 552. My dad's, that he purchased back in 1968 or so, is still going strong.

Do you prefer the magazine to a tube fed model?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 am 

jdavidboyd wrote:
Say, that's nice. Did you get it with the scope, or iron sights?
Do you prefer the magazine to a tube fed model?

Yeah, I did some research and it was between the Remington and the 10/22. Nothing against the 10/22, but I got a good deal on the Remington, so I bit ($179 new with scope and covers - compared to $195 for a comparable 10/22 plus $25 for shipping plus $20 for FFL transfer fee = $240).

The Remington came with a surprisingly nice variable-power scope. It's light as hell and felt fantastic in my hands compared to the comparable Savage entry, which felt awkward.

I definitely prefer a magazine to the tube feed. I could stick a bunch of mags in a pouch and be ready for faster-reloading. There are 30-round mags available for it... which is cool! It looks more like a serious weapon with a big ol' banana-shaped clip sticking out the bottom.

I have to thank everyone in the "Going 22 all the way" thread which made me decide to get it. I'm quite happy with my purchase. I'll post pics when I get a chance this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 am 

I've never handled one, but if it's the same material as the stock on the 710 you shouldn't have a problem just doing them yourself if you have some basic knowledge. I was more poking for info to find out whether it was a hollow plastic deal like one finds on, for example, the Mossberg 720.

If it is hollow and you are worried about whether the stock will hold up to the weight, you can beef it up with heat resistant modelling putty inside the stock around the area you're going to install the swivel, that way you can put the screw into the stock and the putty bed for added stability - but be careful on the fore-end with doing this if you have a free floating barrel.

All in all, if you have an incling of what you're doing and any experience tinkering with synthetic stocks, or building model airplanes etc for that matter, you shouldn't have a problem. But if you're nervous about it, it really wont cost that much to have a gunsmith do it for you, it's not like you're having the thing rechambered or SBR'd.

The Gray Man: Or How To Be Invisible:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am 

SeaTea1967 wrote:
Is it as simple as drilling a pilot hole and installing them

That's how I did my 597. You're going to like it. They had some problems with the earlier magazines, but seem to have gotten that all sorted out now, and mine is a tack driver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:23 pm 

you can drill in synth, but unless you want to tap it, i would recomend epoxy.

or you could drill a small hole, then depending on your type of swivel studs you could screw in on because wood screws hold real well in poly.

And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm 

I put a sling on my Remy 870, ensure your drillbit is smaller than the threads, but a bit larger than the shank, mark where you want your swivel nut to go.

1. Drill in about 1/2 or a bit longer than the shank of the swivel nut that will screw in the stock
2. Get a long nail that will fit in the hole of the swivel nut and screw in
3. Back out the swivel nut and either put epoxy or a small drop on the threads with long set superglue gell
4. Screw back in quickly, let set for a few hours
5. Clean off any white overflow residue of the superglue around the swivel nut on the stock (hint, 5 min epoxy mixed well is cleaner than superglue gel)

As long as you go slow and don't wallow the bit the swivel nut piece will go right in the stock and then be bonded inside with the superglue gel or epoxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:18 pm 

yakmastermax wrote:
you can drill in synth, but unless you want to tap it, i would recomend epoxy.

Now that you mention it, I think I did put a drop of epoxy on the threads. Hard to remember. I got mine when they first came out, maybe 1999 or 2000?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 pm 

Would there be a problem with the hollow kind? I have a Mossberg 802 that I want to put a sling on...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 pm 

I put some cheap Uncle Mikes swivels in a 597 about a month ago, they put little plastic pillars in the thing, just center a small drill bit in there and go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 pm 

Oh yeah, I have one of the Remington 30 round mags, it's more reliable than the shitball 1st generation plastic mags it came with (perhaps 1 or 2 jams per mag) but the thing will absolutely slaughter your thumb when loading it. I've never used the Eagle 30 rounders, so I've no idea if they're better or worse.