Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:01 pm 

My family is preparing to buy our first firearms, and while I've been finding most everything I wanted to know with relative ease, I can't find any information about laws on locking up firearms in Pennsylvania. My apologies in advance if this is an extremely stupid question.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:16 pm 

My Google Fu indicates PA has no special laws concerning firearms storage.

I'd call these guys and ask just to be sure.

Pennsylvania State Police
Firearm’s Division
1800 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg PA 17110
Telephone: (717) 783-5598

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:30 pm 

According to the enemy, firearms are not required to be locked up in PA. You'll likely want to confirm that with your local law enforcement types.

As a minimum, however, I'd suggest a secure storage container, such as a stack-on cabinet.

BethDeath wrote:
Ack no! I mean yes but no! Yes to the gun no to the pink. :)

RIP HK33K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm 

Rus is correct - there are no rules on firearm storage. But be smart about it - if you have kids around, keeping them locked up when they're not on you is smart. No kids - fewer worries.

Make sure you get some training though - especially if you're going to get a permit to carry.

If you're in/near Pittsburgh, I had several good courses through Anthony Arms in West Mifflin. Highly recommend them.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll give as much non-lawyer help as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:34 pm 

Welcome to the list.

And with sage advice such as this:

cybrus wrote:
No kids - fewer worries.

I think we'll get along fine :D

BethDeath wrote:
Ack no! I mean yes but no! Yes to the gun no to the pink. :)

RIP HK33K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 pm 

if you go to anthony's for classes remember not to buy anything there [one of the most expensive in the area] and don't patronize they're "gunsmith" as he is little more than a screw turner. i know the best gunsmith in the area and can refer you if you want.

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:43 pm 

Note, there is one law regarding lockups in PA. When you buy a firearm, the dealer must sell you a triggerlock, either included in the price of the gun, or for a small additional fee.

However, most small-time places "forget" this law. Not a biggie. They run about $10 at any decent sporting goods store.

As it has been said to me, welcome to the fold. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:17 pm 

CommonHighrise wrote:
Note, there is one law regarding lockups in PA. When you buy a firearm, the dealer must sell you a triggerlock, either included in the price of the gun, or for a small additional fee.

Much like anything else thats mandated by our overlords in the gubmint, the PA trigger lock is the most useless piece of shit I have ever seen. Its actually not a trigger lock, but a normal lock with a long "leash". Its barely good enough to keep my stinky socks and shoes from getting stolen at the gym.

Other than that, there are no laws regarding securing firearms in your house, just common sense. Out of reach of children, ect.

Be careful in the big cities though, I came to find out (the easy way), that my 12 year old air-rifle was completely and utterly illegal, yet my .308 semi assault rifle was fine.

Government.... figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 pm 

in pa the local and county governments are prohibited from enacting firearm laws or ordinances, but air rifles aren't considered "guns" legally and so may be regulated. philly resents the fact that the state government outranks them and keeps trying to overthrow state authority by attempting to violate these rules.

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:19 am 

Rus wrote:
Welcome to the list.
Thanks!

mpi wrote:
if you go to anthony's for classes remember not to buy anything there [one of the most expensive in the area] and don't patronize they're "gunsmith" as he is little more than a screw turner.
Agreed - definitely better places to buy. I haven't dealt with their smith so I can't comment on that. But the guys that teach classes there are decent and not too pricey. If anyone knows of a better place for classes, I'm all ears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 am 

Stack-On cabin ates are made in the USA too Get one with a regular key the round alarm style keyed ones that they sold at walmart, were easy to pick with a bic pen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 am 

Stack-On cabinets are made in the USA too Get one with a regular key the round alarm style keyed ones that they sold at walmart, were easy to pick with a bic pen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:52 pm 

the standard ones are also ridiculously easy to pick. the stack on cabinets are good for light security, kids, etc but aren't a replacement for a safe. you can often finde decent gun safes on sale at local big box's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 pm 

mpi wrote:
philly resents the fact that the state government outranks them and keeps trying to overthrow state authority by attempting to violate these rules.

I haven't heard of any recent attempts to over ride the state gun laws, but with a new mayor about to come in (and one that seems the type), we'll see what happens. Either way, Philly is part of the state and must abide by what Harrisburg says.

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:
Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:58 pm 

philly has been threatening to pass and enforce gun legislation if the state does not pas the legislation they want. checkout the forum at pafoa.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:42 pm 

All the info given has been invaluable. Quick info just to clear some things up: There are kids in my house (my siblings), but they're the smartest kids of their age I've ever met, and know exactly when we mean business. I'm asking about the gun laws not because I'm looking to finagle the minimum amount of money/effort into this, but just so I don't end up in trouble.

We live in a very quiet town (as in, either families with kids or old people, and a firestation two blocks away), so I'm not really too paranoid about finding the most criminal-evasive gun safe, but I'll keep those suggestions in mind.

One last thing: Are the prices on this page accurate to what I'll end up paying? I just want to get a handle on how much we'd be initially spending.

[Edit]I'm also look for longarm safety courses; would a hunter safety course be the right choice? Reccomendations there are more than welcome.[/Edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

cybrus wrote:

Make sure you get some training though - especially if you're going to get a permit to carry.

On this note, a good website for reference is http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Be sure to check them out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 am 

Grace wrote:
[Edit]I'm also look for longarm safety courses; would a hunter safety course be the right choice? Reccomendations there are more than welcome.[/Edit]

It depends, what do you want to learn. Hunter safety is generally about how to carry the gun in the field with some info on safe storage. There isn't much, if any, marksmanship training.

The NRA also offers both "Basic Pistol" and "Basic Rifle" classes. The pistol classes seem to be easier to find (at least in my area).

To find a class go to the NRA site at www.nra.org and look for "Training opportunities." They'll have a list of classes by state.

You'll also want to ask around at the local ranges as not all instructors list their classes on the NRA website. (I usually don't list mine, for instance).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 pm 

Howdy, Grace. Just to add my opinion and experience...The wife and I bought 2 of these and keep them by the bed. We have a toddler running amok, so we keep them locked when he is up. From a liability standpoint, I would urge you to get *something* to secure your weapon when not in use. Your siblings may be the bestest, brightest sort in the world, but if you can't vouch for EVERY one of their friends.....

The safe I linked was cheaper than what we paid, but we didn't spend money on shipping. If you are close to Cabelas, they have them in stock for about $99.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 pm 

since you list western pa as your location, i would be willing to help you with any questions you might have online or in person if you want and you are close to pgh. i have been a rifle and pistol instructor in the past and have assisted many new folks into the world of guns and shooting over the years.

if you would like to talk about any of this you can pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:31 pm 

Trebor wrote:
The NRA also offers both "Basic Pistol" and "Basic Rifle" classes. The pistol classes seem to be easier to find (at least in my area).

To find a class go to the NRA site at www.nra.org and look for "Training opportunities." They'll have a list of classes by state.

You'll also want to ask around at the local ranges as not all instructors list their classes on the NRA website. (I usually don't list mine, for instance).

"Basic Rifle" sounds like exactly what I'm looking for; I'll do some searching around there.

MrUgly wrote:
Howdy, Grace. Just to add my opinion and experience...The wife and I bought 2 of these and keep them by the bed. We have a toddler running amok, so we keep them locked when he is up. From a liability standpoint, I would urge you to get *something* to secure your weapon when not in use. Your siblings may be the bestest, brightest sort in the world, but if you can't vouch for EVERY one of their friends.....

The safe I linked was cheaper than what we paid, but we didn't spend money on shipping. If you are close to Cabelas, they have them in stock for about $99.00

Trust me, I've definitely taken into consideration friends of the family, and a gun safe will be bought before a gun, so no need to persuade me.

mpi wrote:
since you list western pa as your location, i would be willing to help you with any questions you might have online or in person if you want and you are close to pgh. i have been a rifle and pistol instructor in the past and have assisted many new folks into the world of guns and shooting over the years.

if you would like to talk about any of this you can pm me.

I'll definitely PM you if I have any questions, thanks for the offer, it's very much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:17 pm 

Here's the handbook for "Basic Rifle" for sale by itself for $7.

http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.a ... EF%2013180

The Basics of Rifle Shooting

Description This handbook on rifle shooting is one in a series of NRA publications on the basics of shooting. It is the student text for the Basic Rifle Shooting Course and includes such topics as rifle parts and how they work, ammunition, using your rifle safely, taking care of your rifle, the fundamentals of rifle shooting, firing your first shots, rifle shooting positions, marksmanship skills, buying a rifle, and sharing the enjoyment of shooting.

The best way to learn would be to take the class. But, if you can't find a class in your area, the book by itself would be useful still.