It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:37 am 

I'm looking for opinions, thoughts, help on what BCG I should put into the SBR I'm building. It'll be going into an LMT 10.5" upper, and would like to continue with LMT parts, but I'm open to putting any quality BCG (MPI, properly staked, etc). Is there any difference in what BCG to run in an SBR over a standard length barrel?

Also, LMT states that their enhanced BCGs are for 14.5" or longer barrels... does anyone know why this is?

Thanks all!

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:
Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.
Read: I'm not your doctor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:36 am 

I run the LMT kit.

That said, avoid their "enhanced" BCG all together. Too many reported issues, as far as I've seen.

For your 10"/10.5" SBR, you want LMT's "standard" 5.56mm F/A BCG - part # L7D3. The F/A bolt carrier is heavier than the "sporter" version and aids reliability.

But you'll also need a buffer and recoil-spring combination of correct weight. That's where some SBR owners have had to experiment to see what specific set-up makes their gun run hiccup-free. For mine, an H-2 buff and ISMI recoil spring have worked best.

8)

MOLON LABE
It's a Spartan thing ... You wouldn't understand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:51 am 

My preference is for LMT or BCM. I own both. In my 10.5" LMT, I have a stock LMT M16 F/A BCG, and it's never disappointed me.

Of the two, the BCM is a bit nicer overall. Personally, I would get on the waiting list for one of them. Bravo Company will email you when they're back in stock, and you had better be prepared to go to their website very quickly and order one as they will sell out in a matter of hours if not minutes. :D

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

In the meantime, I would shop around and you might get lucky and find an LMT BCG. Either will work fine, and it never hurts to have a spare.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:33 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Civilian Scout wrote:
My preference is for LMT or BCM. I own both. In my 10.5" LMT, I have a stock LMT M16 F/A BCG, and it's never disappointed me.

Of the two, the BCM is a bit nicer overall. Personally, I would get on the waiting list for one of them. Bravo Company will email you when they're back in stock, and you had better be prepared to go to their website very quickly and order one as they will sell out in a matter of hours if not minutes. :D

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

In the meantime, I would shop around and you might get lucky and find an LMT BCG. Either will work fine, and it never hurts to have a spare.

I've been on that list for a spare bolt for over a month. :(

Quote:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 am 

phil_in_cs wrote:
Civilian Scout wrote:

Young manufacturing has a 3-4 week wait list for their BCG's. I picked up a coupple and I can send one your way if you want it.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 am 

phil_in_cs wrote:
Civilian Scout wrote:

I was on it for almost three months before I got my last one! :)

Worth the wait though...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:01 pm 

steppenwolf wrote:
But you'll also need a buffer and recoil-spring combination of correct weight. That's where some SBR owners have had to experiment to see what specific set-up makes their gun run hiccup-free. For mine, an H-2 buff and ISMI recoil spring have worked best.

That pic is almost exactly how I'm trying to set up my SBR :) But I have an ACE SOCOM M4 stock waiting to be installed instead.

I was looking at LaRue's buffer spring... http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=126 ... that should do the trick with the F/A BCG, yeah? Bravo Company has an H2 for sale for 30 bucks... good deal? Legit? http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H2-Carbi ... e%20h2.htm

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to grab a BCM or LMT F/A whenever one (or both) pops up. Put myself on the waiting list for both.

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:
Gana has reached immortal status. He is the greatest poster in the history of ZS. I bow before him, knowing still I am not worthy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:04 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I run LMT F/A BCG's in my carbines

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:37 pm 

I had no idea that BCGs are is such demand/short supply. Sucks building my first AR/SBR in this political & buying climate. Wish I had done this last year :(

Glad to know that the LMT F/A is a good choice. I wasn't sure how it would work with in semi-auto, but I like the idea of a strengthened BCG made for full-auto running in a S/A rifle.

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

GanaEMT wrote:
I had no idea that BCGs are is such demand/short supply. Sucks building my first AR/SBR in this political & buying climate. Wish I had done this last year :(

Glad to know that the LMT F/A is a good choice. I wasn't sure how it would work with in semi-auto, but I like the idea of a strengthened BCG made for full-auto running in a S/A rifle.

It's not really the strength but the weight of the carrier. A F/A BCG has more mass on it. Here's a comparison of the two below:

The system was designed around a heavier bolt carrier. More mass = more inertia = more consistent cycling.

If you have a Colt lower with a pinned sear block it won't be able to run a F/A carrier but that's about the only one.

Civilian Scout wrote:

Last edited by Dave_M on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm 

EDIT: DavePAL's right: it's the heavier weight of the M16 F/A bolt carrier that enhances reliability in semis. And, like him, I run LMT F/A BCGs in all my carbines. Never had a problem.

Gana: LT's "Super Duty" recoil spring should be fine for your set-up, but on the H-2, I got mine so long ago I forgot what it cost. I honestly couldn't tell you if $30 is a deal or not. :?

Maybe DavePal or someone else knows ... FWIW, Bravo Co does seem to have competitive pricing on AR component parts.

8)

MOLON LABE
It's a Spartan thing ... You wouldn't understand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:42 pm 

Thanks for clearing up the weight/strength difference. I'll be running an LMT lower as well, so no issues there with the F/A carrier.

Steppenwolf-- 30 bucks isn't exactly breaking the ol' bank account (that $1089 for the LMT CQB MRP upper put a nice dent in it though. Happy Rainer Arms doesn't price gouge), so I might as well just order it.
I was mainly curious if there's one company over another that makes them better, but if an H-2 is an H-2, then it doesn't matter.

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

steppenwolf wrote:
Gana: LT's "Super Duty" recoil spring should be fine for your set-up, but on the H-2, I got mine so long ago I forgot what it cost. I honestly couldn't tell you if $30 is a deal or not. :?

Maybe DavePal or someone else knows ... FWIW, Bravo Co does seem to have competitive pricing on AR component parts.

8)

~$30 is what they go for where I shop (Bravo, Rainier, G&R). Maybe a buck or two difference but all of them are just under $30

Civilian Scout wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:23 am 

Wow, there really isn't shit out there for BCGs.

... anyone have one they want to sell me? I'll accept a little bit of "sell for profit" margin in the price 8)

NREMT-Paramedic
Doc Simon wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm 

Quote:
Wow, there really isn't shit out there for BCGs.

I've got an ar build tabled right now-just waiting for a bcg. I probably should go on somebody's waiting list but that drives me crazy. I just keep holding out hope that I will find one in stock somewhere.

Last year, I anticipated a gun craze to some degree...I had no idea that spare parts would be next to impossible to find.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:08 pm 

I am also waiting on that magical e-mail from Bravo Company that says they have a BCG in stock.

I'm currently using a LMT semi BCG in my 16" mid-length and it has been flawless with all ammo. I am hoping to pick up the FA version and a H-buffer for my new rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm 

BCM....good luck. getting their BCGs is like winning powerball. you better have push email on your mobile device or you aren't getting one is basically how it works

LMT....have fun waiting. pay now, receive parts in several months, if you're lucky

Noveske....not available right now, who knows when they'll be back.

LaRue...not available due to shenanigans

Colt, FN....ha!!! :lol: tell me how that works out for you

even the Smith Enterprises, Young Manufacturing, RRA, DPMS stuff is hard to get.

i feel your pain. i can't get a simple midlength gas tube for the life of me right now.