It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shotgun for arond $200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 am 

I really want a shotgun but dont have a lot of money, Ive looked at walmart and the 870 is a little over my price range but the mossberg maveric is in my price range, I dont know much at all about shotguns but want one for (zombie?!!) hunting and just for fun. I have a small collection but it consists of handguns and .22 rifles. does anyone know of a good shotgun in the 200 range? im selling my weapon mounted light to fund this purchase =[ so I really cant go over the 200 mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:26 am 

A rossi shotgn. Or if yo go back in time yo can get a saiga 12 for $225.

Last edited by ArmyOfDarkness on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

And if you can't go back in time, my Saiga 12 was $599. :cry:

Just save up some more money. Pump shotguns are decades away from being able to be banned, if ever, no matter what happens in the US. Even with the extended tube, Pumps are just a long way away from becoming scarce. Now, I always say that for every firearm you buy (within reason), it's best to spend 100% as much on ammo, training, and accessories before you can say you're really "armed" with that particular gun. I'm not "armed" at all with my Saiga. I just got it, I haven't fired it, and it's not going into SHTF rotation until a LOT is done with it.

With that said, I'm a fan of the Mossbergs, moreso the 870s, and I'm REALLY enamored of the Benelli SuperNova as of late, though I don't know if there's enough zombie accoutrements available to easily make it into a SHTF gun.

Good luck, and no rush. AKs are on the chopping block, but the pump shottie is with us for the long haul.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:42 am 

I purchased a used 870 police magnum for $150. Needed some TLC but nothing to difficult to fix. Look around for used, I've purchased several used guns at discounted rates, saves money for ammo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 am 

If you want an 870 clone shottie, The H&R Pardner Pump Protector goes for under $200 new. Made by Norinco.

If you want a 500(esque) shottie, the Maverick 88 goes for under $200 new. Made by Mossberg.

Both will accept almost all accessories for the shotgun they are derived from.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:26 am 

I paid $248 for my Maverick 88 and I love it..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 am 

I have a Maverick 88 7+1 Home Defense. I put an ATI top folding stock , Mini-mag light, and a few more accessories (ATI heat shield is effective but won't stay in place). I have 300+ rounds through it with no issues. Regular cleaning keeps the gun working smooth.

Cheapest I can find an 88 is around $250 out the door.

However, have you heard of the Interstate Arms Model 372? Anyone? Is this just a rebadged Norinco 98? I'm thinking about getting a couple, but I haven't been able to find enough info to make a decision. It would fit your price range; though I can't speak to their quality. I like their price and looks. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default ... =1&sort=5a

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:12 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I paid $125 for a used Mossberg 500 with two barrels (18" and 24" I think?), cracked buttstock and a little rust on one of the barrels but works great. New plastic stock for $30 or so, and good to go.

Re: shotguns, really, buy used. You pay about half the price or less, if you shop around, and the function is the same, at least in my experience. But maybe I've been lucky.

What to buy used? I'd say 870, 500, or 590 are all solid choices, Maverick is fine, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 am 

i just saw a .20 gauge pump action charles daly at wally world for $200.00 at wally world. maybe worth checking out if your are looking for brand spanking new or check out your local pawn shops and search for a maverick 12 gauge because you can usually find them used for <$200.00..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 am 

Jeriah wrote:
I paid $125 for a used Mossberg 500 with two barrels (18" and 24" I think?), cracked buttstock and a little rust on one of the barrels but works great. New plastic stock for $30 or so, and good to go.

Re: shotguns, really, buy used. You pay about half the price or less, if you shop around, and the function is the same, at least in my experience. But maybe I've been lucky.

What to buy used? I'd say 870, 500, or 590 are all solid choices, Maverick is fine, too.

+1 Used is the way to go with shotguns. Also stick with a common platform such as the Moss. 500 or Rem. 870 so you won't have any trouble finding parts, barrels, or accessories.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 am 

Anybody have experience with the pardner protector? I managed to find one brand new for $160 and snatched it up. From what I can find its an 870 clone and will accept a lot of 870 parts, is that true? I've been real busy at work lately and haven't been out to the range in like two months so I haven't been able to shoot the pardner, but when I clean it I always do a functions check and work the shells through the action, I notice a lot of failures to feed and I have to pop the shell out with my finger. Is this just cause it hasn't been broken in, you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 am 

My brother just bought a H&R Protector and we've put it through its paces and both really like it. It prints almost as well as my Benelli Supernova tactical and feels really solid. No FTF problems.

You're right, it is an 870 clone and will accept 870 mods and parts.

It's a good, solid gun and I've recommended it to several friends.

7.62x39 (AK47), .45ACP (1911), Cherry (Pie/Cobbler)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:10 am 

It's already been said, but Pawn Shops/Gun Shops may be the place to find one used. The absolute best time to find one is just after the hunting season, especially between shotgun/rifle seasons...may people will trade in their shotguns for rifles and it usually leaves the pawn/gun shops in my area overfilling with used 870's and 500's. If you take time and take the shotgun down, which most places will let you if you ask, you'll find plenty in good condition for a fraction of the new price.

I bought a mossberg 500 for $100 used, and made it my "project" gun. It was fun and now I have beautifully-working shottie.

The Maverick 88 is like a discount Mossberg 500. Though I have never owned one, I know many who do and love em. To my knowledge, the 88 will accept most if not all M500 aftermarket parts if you want to "tac" it out.

Good Luck

It feels like an orgasm in the hand

So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:24 am 

The H&R shotguns are good, solid, (and as far as i can tell) reliable. I bought a pardner 12ga pump at a pawn shop for $100 last year, cut the barrel back to 18 1/2", and got a youth stock for it. I have taken it out to the range several times, it has fired everything from #8 shot to 000 buck to slugs, no problem.

Would I prefer a 590? Yea, kinda. But the H&R is doing everything I need it to, and I dont freak out when i see another scratch on it. 8)

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am 

Walmart and other "big" retailers often have specials where one gets a 28" barrel (usually with a modified choke) and also a shorter barrel (usually cyl. bore). These aren't terribly expensive. Remington often offers 30 dollar rebates on their 870s.

Depending on your weapon light, you might find someone in your area that will trade you a used shotgun straight across for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:27 am 

Throwing in with the "buy used" crowd. 870s age really, really well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:03 pm 

OK im sold on the 870 Ill try to pick one up once my light sells (I cant believe someone on here uses a minimag for a weapon light.....eek is all I can say to that.

Also I wanted to know if I can shoot saboted slugs out of a smoothbore? and can I shoot shot out of a rifled barrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:14 pm 

If you're looking for a shotgun under $200 then a new Mossberg 500 or Mossberg Maverick would be a decent choice. For the price they just can't really be beat. With my 'User Guns' (field and hunting guns that are going to see a lot of use and maybe even a little abuse) most times I'd rather go with a slightly less expensive option that has a really good reputation for reliability. I'd freak out if my $1100 shotgun got scratched (if I owned an $1100 shotgun that is, $6-700's about where I draw the line on shotguns).

Used Shotguns
Another option besides the Mossberg 500 or Maverickwould also be to find a Remington 870, Ithaca 37 or a Benelli Nova or Supernova on the used market (gun forums, classified ads, guns of america or gun broker, from friends and family, at mom and pop gun stores and at pawn shops) as I've seen a shit load of them available at that price range. Just make sure that you know what to look for when buying a used gun.

Buying A Used Shotgun Guide By Chuck Hawks

My picks in order of what to buy would probably be a...
  • Remington 870 (just because it's easy to clean and disassemble and I have the most trigger time with them/Plus I'd be willing to bet that it's THE most popular shotgun in the world which means that parts are ridiculously easy to get for it).
  • Benelli Nova or Supernova (light, handy and practically impervious to bad weather/might have to add $25 to $50 though as $200's kind of low on a Benelli).
  • Mossberg 500 or Mossberg Maverick (reliable and there are a ton of parts and accessories for them since in my mind it would rank in at number two numbers wise right behind the Remington 870).
  • Ithaca 37 (with it's bottom eject and bottom feed it's a great shotgun for lefties and there are a lot of them out there.

"Cynicism is my armor, sarcasm my sword and apathy my shield."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 pm 

At risk of sounding like a bandwagon guy, I'd also look into the used 870 market. Even if the gun you find has some decrepit stocks, you can always swap them out. My own is a police model, though only chambered in 2 3/4, with the original 'law enforcement only' folder stock. It belonged to my uncle, then my father, then me, and was not treated properly for most of it. It had feed issues and the finish on the wooden handguard was GONE.

I put on a choate tube extender, a synthetic pump grip, and stoned the shell latch back into spec. No problems since, and that was a beater gun. If you can find a used but loved one you'd do great.

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 pm 

pardner pump defender=197$
maverick 88=239$
basic 870 express=375$
stoeger P-350 defense w/pistol grip stock=429$

or just cruze the local pawn shops, this time of year everybody has unloaded their moss 500's for holiday cash.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:41 pm 

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:
If you want an 870 clone shottie, The H&R Pardner Pump Protector goes for under $200 new. Made by Norinco. If you want a 500(esque) shottie, the Maverick 88 goes for under $200 new. Made by Mossberg.
My thoughts exactly. The Norinco clone is also sold under Interstate Arms Co. (IAC) and Hawk Industries labels... often factory equipped with ghost-ring sights and other goodies. Also, the only real functional difference between the Mossberg and the Maverick is safety placement. The 500 has a receiver tang safety while the 88 has a trigger guard safety. It's usually only an issue if you install a pistol grip.
MrMendigo wrote:
However, have you heard of the Interstate Arms Model 372? Anyone? Is this just a rebadged Norinco 98?
While the 372 is made by Norinco, it is actually a clone of the Ithaca 37 action. It's a neat design (bottom eject) and they're relatively uncommon when compared to the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 designs. I've heard (but cannot confirm) that the interior fit & finish can be a bit rough on some examples.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:49 pm 

Watch for SALES. I picked up my 870 on sale with Remington rebates for $217 brand new at Academy. Not sure if you live near an Academy but look for specials, sales, deals, and check Remingtons website for their rebates.

I'm here to generally help you out but I do have the power to make your day shit. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. Comply with my simple and straight forward requests and everything goes smoothly...don't and it doesn't go smoothly. Thats it.

That sounds about right, ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm 

you can get a number or used shotguns for 150-175. a few new ones for 200.

any of the major brands

Remington
Winchester
Mossberg

will serve you well

and some of the minor brands were made bye the major brands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:19 am 

Up in my neck of the woods we have Dick's Sporting Goods, which is a chain. My wife picked up a brand new Mossberg 500 Superbantam 20 gauge pump for $230, using a coupon. They often have sales, and their regular prices are hard to beat. Even their regular prices on 500's are under $300.