Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Anybody care to recommend a folding stock for an 870 12Gauge? I have seen a few but am looking for advice on quality from owners of current models. The Choate Tool I had on an old Mossy 500 was ok, but not great. I would like great...

Thanks!

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:28 pm 

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear very much, if anything, good about any 870 folding stocks. That includes higher-end ones like the Knoxx/Blackhawk Cop or SpecOps folding stock, which are supposedly better than the cheaper ones from ATI/Choate/etc. but still not great. And I've been less than impressed with any of the ones that I've tried personally.

For full-time duty on a home defense, patrol, or "tactical" shotgun, my advice is to stick to a fixed stock, either traditional or with a pistol grip, depending on your preference. The folding stock might prove useful in certain limited circumstances (i.e. on a secondary breaching shotgun carried by a soldier on his/her pack), but it will be less comfortable and generally less durable than the fixed alternatives.

In addition, much like the underfolder stock on some AKs, folding shotgun stocks make it much harder to achieve a good cheek weld. And yes, there's more to using a shotgun than pointing it in the general direction of the zombie.

And while we're on the (general) subject, just say no to pistol grips (sans buttstock) on shotguns. I don't care how cool it looks, or what they do in the movies. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:24 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I am totally with you on the whole Pistol grip... How are you supposed to control it? The reason I want a folder is so this particular unit can more easily be carried in a vehicle when traveling. I have a couple of nice Brownings for hunting and such.

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm 

In that case, I'd check into the Knoxx folders. Just don't expect miracles... At best, I'd say it would merely suck less. :D

Or, you might look into one of the adjustable/collapsible shotgun stocks, such as the various M4-style stocks. Again, Knoxx makes a nice one. I'm not generally a fan of M4-style stocks on shotguns, but in the fully collapsed position it may be compact enough for your needs. You could then extend it to the proper length when you employ it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:46 pm 

I don't know much about the folders but I have a Knoxx Spec Ops collapsible stock on one of my 870s and I really like it. It includes a recoil reducing system that works pretty well.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I have the Knoxx folder on my 870, works fine. The stock its self can sting a bit if you don't hold the shotgun as tight as you should, but I got it at cost so didn't mind not getting the M4 style collapsible.

Overall I like it and have no intentions of switching it out anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 am 

I have one of the cheap ATI top folders on my 870 clone. It works pretty well actually. I bought it for the same reason - s I could have a more compact setup for the trunk/bug-out kit.

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:07 am 

Also have a look at the old steel folders from Remington from the 70´s/80´s or so. They look mighty sturdy to me and you can still alter them if you need a shorter LOP. The sturdiness comes with a little more weight of course... have a look at the joints before buying one, they shouldn´t be too loose/worn out..!

(Not my shotgun, stolen from AR15.com for visualisation, http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=307441)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOp ... 56,165.htm
That is the one I have btw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 am 

I almost never recommend a folder but the Blackhawk/Knox is the best of the bunch. I almost always prefer a youth size Houge to anything else. Almost as easy to wield and much more comfortable.

Oneswunk wrote:
Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.

tarzan wrote:
Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.

Tommy Tran wrote:
Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 am 

Quote:
The reason I want a folder is so this particular unit can more easily be carried in a vehicle when traveling.

As much as i personally like a fixed stock on everything, a choate Youth won´t do the job there i think, unless it´s an SBS.... (Or strictly a trunk monkey not for use inside the car) Yeah, it´s not the be all end all solution for a shotgun but a good compromise when it comes to crammed confinments like inside a car. (where the fixed stock is useless anyway because in like 90% of situations you won´t be able to put the stock into your shoulder anyway, given that SD inside the car is an option. If it´s not a worry for the OP, or a trunk gun like mentioned before, More Power to the fixed stock!!)

On the other hand, you `mericuns drive cars like Battleships, so maybe you have more room to deploy full size shotguns... :lol:

Since it´s not the only shotgun the OP has, i think it´s ok to have one shotgun for car duty. I wouldn´t recommend a folder if it was the only shotgun though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm 

The ols style Remington top folders are about the best option for compact transport.

My brother has one (I want one too), and it keeps the gun short and slim.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:45 pm 

Yeah, I have one with the Remington original steel top-folder, and it's the only one I actually like. It's almost 50 years old and it works GREAT, it belonged to an uncle, then my father, and now me. How many folder stocks can you find with that sort of track record?

Of course, it has 'law enforcement only' stamped on it (which means nothing) and is a bear to find (which does) so good luck...

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:52 pm 

anybody try the top folder put out by choate? looks similar to the old style remington stocks and is said to be steel construction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 am 

FYI. With the Butler Creek side folding stock, when cocking the shotgun the forearm hits the buttpad with the stock is folded. It does not prevent you from cycling the action but it does rub.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 am 

@Hazardous Toys: You could try the shorter LE forends if this annoys you, they won´t rub.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 am 

Shorter LE forearms. Thanks for the heads up. I had not considered that. I was thinking of maybe getting one of those "LEO" metal over-folders. Not that the rubbing bothers me so much but short stroking could result from feeling that first bump of hitting the stock in a moment of panic with a zombie trying to nibble on my tender bits. Folding is basically for storage or transportation anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:16 pm 

here´s a link to the Speedfeed LE Forend: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=30705/sku/870_LE_Forend

Remington makes one too: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=10162/Product/FOREND__SYNTHETIC__POLICE

You could also shorten the sporting forend with a hacksaw and smooth out the edges with some sandpaper, there´s a vid on youtube of a guy who did that with a wood sporting forend.

Maybe the solution is as simple as cycle the gun with enough force to make shure you don´t short stroke it or bump into the folding stock. The gun should withstand some brute cycling just fine, don´t worry...! :mrgreen: