Preps for a Contested Election in November

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
quazi

Re: Preps for a Contested Election in November

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm

I was already quite concerned about the upcoming election, but the news of Ruth Bader Ginsburg passing has me pretty freaked. I'm going to give it a few days to think about it, but I might switch from my current path of slow-and-steady when it comes to preps to acquiring some things and learning some skills more rapidly. (Not in a way that would be financially irresponsible, of course.)

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I don't think RBGs death will have much effect. I think things which will happen were planned well before now. People might use her death as a "cause Du Jure" but the groups doing the things have been planning and recruiting for a while. Nothing is secret. They are being pretty open because they are trying to get attention. And like Raptor said, they are directly saying they will kick off their activities whether they get what they want or don't. He pointed at one source. I saw another. It is coming from their own mouths, not the insinuations of opposition groups.

I think the skills and gear acquisition is wise.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm
I don't think RBGs death will have much effect. I think things which will happen were planned well before now. People might use her death as a "cause Du Jure" but the groups doing the things have been planning and recruiting for a while. Nothing is secret. They are being pretty open because they are trying to get attention. And like Raptor said, they are directly saying they will kick off their activities whether they get what they want or don't. He pointed at one source. I saw another. It is coming from their own mouths, not the insinuations of opposition groups.

I think the skills and gear acquisition is wise.
It just makes the election all the more consequential in the eyes of extremists on both sides. Regardless of where you stand, this jacks people's emotions to eleven. Prepare accordingly.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:48 pm

All the preppers on YT are coming out w/pre-election this-that-OMC videos. This one is from City Prepping and seems to be the most sensible one I've viewed, so far.

At the moment, my view is: ...it doesn't matter who loses the election, there's going to be trouble in the streets...

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:16 pm

That is a good video. And commendably apolitical.

One thing I'd add regarding City Prepper's suggestion that Election Day might not be a bad time to get away from your urban home for a few days: have enough food, clothing and other supplies (including a cash reserve) to last you for at least double the time you plan on being away. If there is civil unrest in your home area, it's possible you might not be able to return home when you had planned to do so.

Edited: inserted a critical "not". Didn't mean to suggest City Prepper was saying Election Day is a bad time to get away from your urban home for a few days. He was saying exactly the opposite.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CG

Post by CG » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:58 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:16 pm

One thing I'd add regarding City Prepper's suggestion that Election Day might be a bad time to get away from your urban home for a few days: have enough food, clothing and other supplies (including a cash reserve) to last you for at least double the time you plan on being away. If there is civil unrest in your home area, it's possible you might not be able to return home when you had planned to do so.
And make sure that you have whatever you would need to start up in a new area should your house burn down or things be too hot around it for you to feel comfortable returning.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:25 pm

I have noticed an increase in the open and blatant calls for immediate violence in the MSM and social media over the SCOTUS replacement. Be aware and be careful I suspect my assumption of less violence in Sept/ Oct pre-election by the entities behind the current violence was optimistic.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:27 pm

CG wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:58 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:16 pm

One thing I'd add regarding City Prepper's suggestion that Election Day might be a bad time to get away from your urban home for a few days: have enough food, clothing and other supplies (including a cash reserve) to last you for at least double the time you plan on being away. If there is civil unrest in your home area, it's possible you might not be able to return home when you had planned to do so.
And make sure that you have whatever you would need to start up in a new area should your house burn down or things be too hot around it for you to feel comfortable returning.
This is a :awesome: time to review all of your insurance coverages.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:23 am

raptor2 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:25 pm
I have noticed an increase in the open and blatant calls for immediate violence in the MSM and social media over the SCOTUS replacement. Be aware and be careful I suspect my assumption of less violence in Sept/ Oct pre-election by the entities behind the current violence was optimistic.
Yep.
Tony D Tiger

M813

Post by M813 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:50 am

One thing I'd add regarding City Prepper's suggestion that Election Day might not be a bad time to get away from your urban home for a few days: have enough food, clothing and other supplies (including a cash reserve) to last you for at least double the time you plan on being away.
I just completed a 10 day cruise in my boat with no stops in civilized areas (mainly due to covid). This was good practice for my upcoming "Election Day Vacation."

No issues at all with stocking enough food. No problem with enough solar power and now with temperatures dropping, refrigeration will draw even less power. I did crack a fitting on one of my water tanks which caused a loss of some fresh water but I have multiple independent tanks and rain catchment so it was barely an inconvenience.

I should have brought my fishing gear and continued to practice fishing in different locales.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:16 pm

In City Prepping's video, he suggested that people be prepared to spend up to 11 weeks in their homes. This would be quite the stretch, even for us. I know I don't have 11 weeks of meds on hand. There is USPS, but if it's not safe for people to go out, how would it be safe for the mail?

M813

Post by M813 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:16 pm
In City Prepping's video, he suggested that people be prepared to spend up to 11 weeks in their homes. This would be quite the stretch, even for us. I know I don't have 11 weeks of meds on hand. There is USPS, but if it's not safe for people to go out, how would it be safe for the mail?
I'm also curious as to why the author says "11 weeks." It seems arbitrary.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:03 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

The recent calls for violence include a person holding a national office. This person indicated that even a complete win in NOV by their group would not be adequate and that a violent suppression/liquidation of any opponents is necessary to make things fair.

You should plan on more street violence much like this. There are lessons to be learned from this video of thugs attacking a peaceful person whom they do not like.

You will note that there is a "non-participant" videoing the whole episode in the hope that the target will resist and the video footage used to spin the narrative as the victim as the aggressor. In that case you can be sure that the victim would face prosecution.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1307397954655776769

They will attack in force and by ambush.
They will have backup and you can count on being out numbered.
This like any ambush has a kill Zone. You must escape the KZ as soon as possible

The best way to deal with these tactics is situational awareness and avoidance.
Duco Ergo Sum

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

M813 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
11ish weeks from Nov 4th to Jan 20th?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

That would make sense.

However, in 2016 the Jan date was actually the trigger point for violence at that time.

In the case of a truly contested election with no adjudicated winner by that date, the Jan date triggers the departure of the POTUS and VPOTUS and the assumption of the duties by first the Speaker of the House; then if unable or unwilling then the President Pro Tem of the Senate. Whoever that may be on that date. If the existing office holders are not officially in that capacity their successors will take the office.

I can honestly see 11 weeks of turmoil as a possible. If the above happens, 11 weeks is IMO likely to be optimistic.

My comment about 30 days is a minimum.
Duco Ergo Sum

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Agreed, I certainly don't think ant issues are going to magically go away after 11 weeks... :D
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm

One of the things I hope are being realistically considered and plans drawn up to prevent, is mob attacks against election ballot counting locations and polling places. I think such attacks are a distinct possibility as the more doubt and turmoil that can be sown the less likely it is all going to be resolved by that January deadline, giving the Speaker of the House a clear path into office. If that happens then hang onto your hats boys and girls, we're headed for the cliff.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:00 pm
One of the things I hope are being realistically considered and plans drawn up to prevent, is mob attacks against election ballot counting locations and polling places. I think such attacks are a distinct possibility as the more doubt and turmoil that can be sown the less likely it is all going to be resolved by that January deadline,...Snip
Here is the thing...if done right; they do not even have to attack the counting stations...they only need to give the impression that it was done successfully.

Appearance is reality in today's world.
Duco Ergo Sum

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm
M813 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
You are correct Sir :mrgreen:

Election to Inauguration. No way the VA will front me a 3 month supply. I can get the cheap ones, but...... :(

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:45 am

11 weeks may not see an end to troubles, but it's a reasonable amount of time to be able to adapt and there will likely be windows within that 11 weeks to be able to resupply.

Any number that anyone could give for emergency savings or preparations for bugging in or bugging out are going to be pretty arbitrary. 11 weeks seems a pretty reasonable target for people new to prepping to aspire to. If most of the population was that well prepared, we would all be better off.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:45 am
11 weeks may not see an end to troubles, but it's a reasonable amount of time to be able to adapt and there will likely be windows within that 11 weeks to be able to resupply.

Any number that anyone could give for emergency savings or preparations for bugging in or bugging out are going to be pretty arbitrary. 11 weeks seems a pretty reasonable target for people new to prepping to aspire to. If most of the population was that well prepared, we would all be better off.
QFT! +1

Preps should not be viewed as an assumption of problem solved. They should be viewed as a means of buying time and providing options while you adapt, adjust and hopefully carry on.

...and yes if only 51% of the population were as prepared as the average ZS'er then there would be very few problems in the US today.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Even Wall Street is openly saying they expect a contested election.
And it seems that this week, almost every strategist on Wall Street has weighed in with some commentary on how the election might impact markets and what scenarios investors need to be prepared for.

And this rush of commentary has had a surprising and widespread theme emerge: November 3 might not be the day on which we gain clarity about who will be the next U.S. president.

“A contested election has become the baseline,” JPMorgan strategist John Normand wrote in a note to clients published this week.

... snip... Normand and his team do not expect election night to present a clear winner.
Source: Note politics at these links.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-str ... 09295.html

Meanwhile factions the US house of representatives are preparing for the election to be decided in the House of Representatives.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN26J2A6

Then we are starting to see more news stories about voter fraud. This issue will IMO one of the key areas for disputes. It sure seems there is not even attempts anymore to hide the fact that it occurs.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/29/political ... n-ballots/

https://news.yahoo.com/project-veritas- ... 18391.html

With these things in mind the question of what preparations should you take?

When there is this level of expectation IMO the likely hood of the event not occurring is much lower. So plan on a contested election.
I suspect that even an unlikely landslide for either faction will not satisfy the other side since all are prepared to contest election results.

The question then remains how long and what impact will it have on day to day activity.
The violent people will of course act violently. To me that is a given.

The real question is to what extent will the violent people affect the transportation and communication system.
This article (note contains nothing but politics and hence only linked here without the title) describes the so called "secret plans" for violence.

Again I am not assuming everything I read here is true but I am noting it for planning purposes.

Plan accordingly...others are.
Duco Ergo Sum

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 pm

related

If their are "communications disruptions" your debit/credit cards will be of little use.

Consider keeping one months worth of spending in cash (readily available) .

Contact your bank/lending institution and inquire about the possibility of suspending payments for a month or two - should that become necessary. Better to know ahead of time.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:05 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 pm
related

If their are "communications disruptions" your debit/credit cards will be of little use.

Consider keeping one months worth of spending in cash (readily available) .

Contact your bank/lending institution and inquire about the possibility of suspending payments for a month or two - should that become necessary. Better to know ahead of time.
yikes

Return to “Civil Disorder”