Organized Looting Gangs Becoming More Brazen in U.S. Cities

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
boskone

Re: Organized Looting Gangs Becoming More Brazen in U.S. Cities

Post by boskone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:42 pm
boskone wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
I think this link is wrong, as for me it opened "Little David 914mm T21 Mortar Test, 1945 WW2 Video Footage".
You have to admit that would be one hell of a way to tell rioters to back off, though.
Reminds me of a joke in a gaming video. Dude had gotten shot by a teammate earlier, and was piloting an A-10 in-game. So he warned them "Your guns go pew pew. My gun goes BRRRRRRRRRT.".

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

Looks like voicing support for looting is getting grassroots backlash.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/chicago-l ... blm-rally/
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:41 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

Finally! It's their homes & businesses at stake.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:40 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:41 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

Finally! It's their homes & businesses at stake.
Easy to be in favor of sanctuary for wolves, until they show up on your doorstep.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm

How does a guy with an extensive rap sheet get a job with a private security firm?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/accused-port ... -rap-sheet

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm
How does a guy with an extensive rap sheet get a job with a private security firm?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/accused-port ... -rap-sheet
Arrests do not count the same as convictions, and he only has low-level misdemeanor convictions, mostly driving convictions that don't usually count at all.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 am

And... things just got a little close to home. There's a flyer circulating on social media that popped up in the Reddit sub for my area with a debate about it being "real" or not:

https://i.redd.it/61273yhu8tk51.jpg

I pointed out that it really didn't matter. If there are enough people who see it and believe it to be real then the outcome will be the same. Oh, that park mentioned on the flyer is about 2, maybe 2.5 miles from my house. And, of course, my wife wants to visit her chiropractor that day and will be driving right past it at the exact time it's supposed to start. I'm doing my best to dissuade her from such a foolish act but if she absolutely insists I'll drive her since she's refused to get a CHP.

Current Weather in My AO

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Well, I must say - that poster certainly looks...inflammatory.

And yet the minions that run that site allow it to stay up?

How odd.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm

TacAir wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:24 pm

How odd.
It's also on FB and Twitter from what I understand. No idea why it's allowed to stay up (well, I do have ideas but this isn't the place to discuss them).

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:21 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm
TacAir wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:24 pm

How odd.
It's also on FB and Twitter from what I understand. No idea why it's allowed to stay up (well, I do have ideas but this isn't the place to discuss them).
Maybe it's because some people are shitbirds? :clownshoes:

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:18 pm

...and in Seattle there is this:

Record Number of Seattle Cops Leave Force in September
Link with politics in title
Thirty-nine officers left the force last month—more than twice the number of retirements or resignations in any month on record.

...the Seattle City Council have both called for massive police budget cuts following months of protests, though they have sparred over the exact amount. In August, the council passed a budget that would cut up to 100 police jobs, leading to Chief Carmen Best's resignation.

Seattle, which is left with just over 1,200 officers, now has one of the lowest ratios of cops to citizens of major U.S. cities, with 65 officers per 100,000 residents.
Hmm I cannot imagine why more LEOs have not left. Doings some quick math by Dec 1 they should hit their reduction target.

BTW for perspective, NOLA with a population of ~ 390,000 (vs Seattle with a population of ~ 787,000 about 2x NOLA) has about 1,200 officers.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 pm

I saw a lot of snooty remarks like "I wonder why they're leaving?", usually with either implications or outright statements that they're somehow trying to flee some unstated punishment.

I guess it says something about viewpoints that my first thought was "The smart ones are getting out before the pay or position cuts hit". My only question is if there's a skew towards senior personnel; I know in a lot of companies senior (higher-pay) personnel go on the block first, and so those personnel will start job-hunting when cuts are on the horizon or jump on any decent severance package.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:36 am

boskone wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 pm
I saw a lot of snooty remarks like "I wonder why they're leaving?", usually with either implications or outright statements that they're somehow trying to flee some unstated punishment.

I guess it says something about viewpoints that my first thought was "The smart ones are getting out before the pay or position cuts hit". My only question is if there's a skew towards senior personnel; I know in a lot of companies senior (higher-pay) personnel go on the block first, and so those personnel will start job-hunting when cuts are on the horizon or jump on any decent severance package.
I got one of those tshirts, except mine was no-notice. And once you get the boot, it is damn hard to land another compressible slot.

The "Why did he/she get cut? is bad enough, add in being over 50 and it is nearly impossible to land another decent gig. I finally landed in the gig economy, even then, good $ was hard to find, even here in AK.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TheUnpossibleRalph

Post by TheUnpossibleRalph » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:00 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm
The people I personally saw heading down that path were all white upper middle class kids that had experienced very little real challenge in their lives.
Years ago I opined that if people didn't have enough challenge in their lives to keep themselves busy, they'd find something to fill the gap. I think that sorta thing is easy because it doesn't require any sort of logical context, and thought terminating cliches are simple and evocative.

We live in a world of 30-second Tiktok videos, sound bytes, and "leaders" with more support staff than an army. Short, simple, and emotional is seen as superior to context.
This is what happens when you aren't spending your days procuring food, chopping firewood, raising livestock, fighting off predators, etc. Idle hands are the devil's plaything especially for your mind. Back in the day the people who did that were fairly wealthy people who could do things like philosophy or smoking opium in dens or creating pseudoscience like phrenology or homeopathy.

This is the internet version of people who believe in homeopathy, it's misinformation and emotions being egged on by an echo chamber. Except this probably is going to kill even more people.

Return to “Civil Disorder”