Organized Looting Gangs Becoming More Brazen in U.S. Cities

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Organized Looting Gangs Becoming More Brazen in U.S. Cities

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:34 pm

It looks like the criminal element is adroitly exploiting any pretext, i.e. police shootings, to stage organized looting forays aimed at high-end retail outlets, in major U.S. cities. The fact that they are this emboldened indicates they have little if any fear of actual consequences for their actions. This can only mean we are going to see an escalation in opportunistic mayhem, and a rapid deterioration in the economic base and quality of life in our big cities.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-mayo ... ng-for-you

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot slammed looters and rioters who descended upon the downtown area early Monday morning, calling the overnight events “an assault on our city” and telling criminals, “We are coming for you.”

Police said more than 100 people were arrested and at least 13 officers were hurt over the course of the events.

“We are waking up in shock this morning,” Lightfoot said. “These individuals engaged in what can only be described as brazen and extensive criminal looting and destruction. And to be clear, this had nothing to do with legitimate, protected First Amendment expression.”

"Car caravans” of looters made their way into Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, Gold Coast and Irving North neighborhoods and neighboring commercial districts overnight, which officials believe was spurred by a police-involved shooting in Englewood earlier in the day, said Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown.

At the scene of the South Side shooting, "tempers flared fueled by misinformation as the afternoon turned into the evening," Brown said.

absinthe beginner

Re: Organized Looting Gangs Becoming More Brazen in U.S. Cities

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 pm

'We're coming for you': Mayor Lightfoot's warning to looters who ransacked Chicago in night of 'straight-up criminality' that saw 100 arrests and 13 cops injured - as racial tensions flare nationwide on sixth anniversary of Michael Brown's death

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Mile.html

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 pm

In Chicago they are raising the draw bridges:

https://dnyuz.com/2020/08/10/chicago-ra ... -downtown/
Chicago officials raised bridges and suspended some train and bus service Monday morning after unrest and looting caused widespread damage in the city’s downtown overnight.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Sounds like the '92 kerfuffle in LA.

Back then, Gangs looted liquor stores. Caravans of vans & SUV would roll up and empty the stores in minutes.
(

I guess in Chiraq, they have upped their game. This is no time to be living in or around a "major urban area; in the US.

In Minneapolis, business are leaving at such a rate, rental trailers and large trucks are nearly impossible to find.

Eerily familiar to readers of RAH's masterpiece,. Starship Troopers.

The next 90 days (until freeze up) are going to be a roller-coaster ride.

The fall out can last decades
(https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/01/ ... ic-impact/)
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Gee......the power might be out for up to 4 days here..... :ohdear:

smh

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:49 am

So looting is now "reparations." Got it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives- ... ing-unrest

“That is reparations,” a BLM organizer said. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance"

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:43 pm

Speaking at the rally outside a police station in the South Loop where organizers said the suspected looters are in custody, organizer Ariel Atkins excused the looting — which reportedly caused at least $60 million in property damage and left 13 police officers injured — calling the theft “reparations,” NBC Chicago reported.

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a spam store, because that makes sure that person eats,” Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, said. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

“That is reparations,” Atkins added. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”
I really don't understand how anyone could say this with a straight face, and it scares the hell out of me that this person probably actually believes this bullshit. We have failed our younger generations horribly if we've given them a moral upbringing in which this is considered not just acceptable but desirable.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm

NT2C said:
I really don't understand how anyone could say this with a straight face, and it scares the hell out of me that this person probably actually believes this bullshit.
The fact that BLM hasn't disavowed and expelled this "organizer" speaks volumes.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm
NT2C said:
I really don't understand how anyone could say this with a straight face, and it scares the hell out of me that this person probably actually believes this bullshit.
The fact that BLM hasn't disavowed and expelled this "organizer" speaks volumes.
BLM has not disavowed the person but some have spoken up about these violent acts .
The funny part (perhaps not surprising part) is that there has been very little MSM covering these condemnations ... can't imagine why.

https://twitter.com/RevJJackson
Jackson said civil rights icons such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Medgar Evers would "cry together in shame" if they witnessed the actions of residents who used cars to break into storefronts, including Apple, Tesla, and Christian Dior. Jackson also shared a tweet by Pastor Tavis Grant, which stated that the looting was "beneath our dignity as people."
Still we are in a dangerous time. I remember 1968 seeing similar turmoil and violence.
However, then in the end we were united as country. I do not see that same same sense of unity now. Take care out there and when around "peaceful" protesters look for and avoid the ones wearing PPE. Especially if you are elderly, disabled or present an appearance of being weak and thus an easy target.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm

I'm two out of three but that third one will ruin your day if pushed.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Chicago BLM Organizer Defends Looting: ‘That Is Reparations’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... parations/

Ariel Atkins, a Black Lives Matter organizer who spoke at the rally, said looting is not an issue and defended the criminal practice.

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a spam store, because that makes sure that person eats,” the BLM organizer said. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

“That is reparations,” she continued, justifying the criminal action and contending that businesses will be fine because they “have insurance.”

“Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance,” Atkins said.

A special media post for the rally echoed Atkins’ position, encouraging supporters to come out and “support the people arrested last night for protesting another police shooting & taking reparations from corporations.”

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:12 pm

If organizers start being held legally and criminally liable for damages caused during "protests" they orchestrated, I suspect we'd see better self-policing on the part of participants.

https://www.bet.com/news/national/2020/ ... onies.html

Social media is coming to the aid of Tianna Arata, a California-based Black Lives Matter organizer, who was arrested after a protest last month and is now facing some serious charges.

Arata was arrested by the San Luis Obispo police department on July 21 after she organized a protest that allegedly resulted in vandalism. The hashtag #FreeTianna has since gone viral.

According to a statement released by authorities, the SLOPD police chief contacted the 20-year-old before the protest to ensure it would be peaceful. That protest ended up turning into a march of about 300, police say, that blocked Highway 101 and stopped traffic for nearly an hour.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Chicago BLM Organizer Defends Looting: ‘That Is Reparations’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... parations/

Ariel Atkins, a Black Lives Matter organizer who spoke at the rally, said looting is not an issue and defended the criminal practice.

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a spam store, because that makes sure that person eats,” the BLM organizer said. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

“That is reparations,” she continued, justifying the criminal action and contending that businesses will be fine because they “have insurance.”

“Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance,” Atkins said.

A special media post for the rally echoed Atkins’ position, encouraging supporters to come out and “support the people arrested last night for protesting another police shooting & taking reparations from corporations.”
This woman is going to get people killed with her idiotic statements.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Retailers are starting to pull out of Manhattan rather than deal with the constant threat of theft and looting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/nyre ... tores.html

Any link between the growing breakdown of public security in NYC and soaring firearms sales is purely incidental, I'm sure.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/08/10/nyc- ... e-handgun/

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Did you mean to link a different article? That one's about reduced foot traffic and tourism causing issues, not riots and looting.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Boskone said: Did you mean to link a different article? That one's about reduced foot traffic and tourism causing issues, not riots and looting.
It's the New York Times. Of course they're not going to say why retailers are REALLY pulling out.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:43 pm
Speaking at the rally outside a police station in the South Loop where organizers said the suspected looters are in custody, organizer Ariel Atkins excused the looting — which reportedly caused at least $60 million in property damage and left 13 police officers injured — calling the theft “reparations,” NBC Chicago reported.

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a spam store, because that makes sure that person eats,” Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, said. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

“That is reparations,” Atkins added. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”
I really don't understand how anyone could say this with a straight face, and it scares the hell out of me that this person probably actually believes this bullshit. We have failed our younger generations horribly if we've given them a moral upbringing in which this is considered not just acceptable but desirable.
The first time I quit FB about 2 years ago was because I was seeing young people I know posting things in this general vein. They were also advocating for not calling police for property crime, shaming those who do cooperate with police investigating property crime, and accusing anyone that disagreed of supporting state sponsored murder.

The people I personally saw heading down that path were all white upper middle class kids that had experienced very little real challenge in their lives.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:45 pm
The people I personally saw heading down that path were all white upper middle class kids that had experienced very little real challenge in their lives.
Years ago I opined that if people didn't have enough challenge in their lives to keep themselves busy, they'd find something to fill the gap. I think that sorta thing is easy because it doesn't require any sort of logical context, and thought terminating cliches are simple and evocative.

We live in a world of 30-second Tiktok videos, sound bytes, and "leaders" with more support staff than an army. Short, simple, and emotional is seen as superior to context.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:29 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:49 am
So looting is now "reparations." Got it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives- ... ing-unrest

“That is reparations,” a BLM organizer said. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance"
I've been hearing that soundbite all over. It's usually *NOT* wise to use DF to retain/protect property, but this is coming to a middle.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 pm

From the above article.
Atkins had no sympathy for the businesses damaged in the spree, which included a small convenience store likely to go out of business after being looted twice in months.

“The fact that anybody gives a s–t about these businesses over what is happening in this city right now and the pain that people are in and the suffering that is taking place, I don’t care,” she admitted.
Bear in mind during your preparations that while the above people do not " gives a s–t about" about the people they steal from, injure, main or kill; if you respond lawfully to them during such acts of"protest" to protect yourself, it is highly likely that the PTB will come down on you like a ton of bricks. Regardless of whether or not your response was lawful. Plan accordingly.
Duco Ergo Sum

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm

I think this link is wrong, as for me it opened "Little David 914mm T21 Mortar Test, 1945 WW2 Video Footage".

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:32 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
I think this link is wrong, as for me it opened "Little David 914mm T21 Mortar Test, 1945 WW2 Video Footage".
Oops... Fixed

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:42 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
You have to admit that would be one hell of a way to tell rioters to back off, though.

Return to “Civil Disorder”