COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CG

Re: COVID-19 Chat Thread

Post by CG » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:29 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 am
CG wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 am
I know someone who was tested, got a negative result, and was told there's a 30% chance it's a false negative.

Anybody finding good numbers on the actual accuracy of the rapid testing?
Very, if done right, but doing it right is hard.

The swabs have to be jammed way on up the nose or down the throat, which most people find--to use the term doctors and such seem to prefer--"uncomfortable". Self-administered swabs are therefore considerably less reliable because people don't stick 'em in far enough, and I'd hazard that swabs administered by trained by non-medical personnel (who may be averse to causing discomfort in patients, even if ultimately for their benefit) are probably similarly less reliable.

From what I understand, false positives are actually more common than negatives. I suppose that would be an artifact of the sinuses doing what they're supposed to, and capturing the virus before it's fully inhaled. So a person would have some viral material in their nose without being actually infected.
I said that getting the COVID test was on par with a piece of pepper up the nose. I’m guessing that means they didn’t go far enough.

New opportunity for mystery shoppers!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:11 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

IAmOne
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Outside

Post by IAmOne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 am

If I had any confidence at all that a year was going to put a dent in this thing, I'd take it.
It's not. We're talking a lead time of years in suppressing this virus via vaccine or drug treatment, that's when one is available.

I'm 50. I just don't have that time to spare.
Insert here a quote, Hemingway or Orwell, maybe Atwood that will really, really irritate someone.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:54 am

Rain delay on some wood cutting planned for today, so working on a new and improved longer-lasting nasal spray formula. Test #1:

2 ml of 10% PVP-I
3 ml of glycerin
25 ml of distilled water

Was reading that chlorhexidine solutions have better substantivity in oral/nasal fluids than povidone iodine and would be a better choice, if chlorhexidine was effective at inactivating Sars-Cov-2. But it seems povidone iodine (PVP-I) has better antiviral activity against Sars-Cov-2 than chlorhexidine does, or that seems to be the scientific consensus for now anyway. The addition of glycerin to the nasal spray is my attempt to make it more viscous so it might 'stick' better in the sinus cavity and be longer lasting. Looking for the better of both worlds basically, more antiviral activity of PVP-I and longer lasting like chlorhexidine. FWIW, many, but not all, of the PVP-I solutions I've bought do contain glycerin as one of the ingredients.

Anecdotal observations: I expected the solution to be thicker, but it's not overly so. While I wouldn't call the original "PVP-I in water" formula harsh or caustic, the addition of the glycerin does make it noticeably more soothing in the nose. The sweet taste of the glycerin is preferable in the back of the throat to the straight PVP-I taste too, kids would likely find it more appealing. And for about an hour after application, I would occasionally taste the sweetness again which I assume is it draining into the throat from the nasal cavity, which seems promising that it might have the desired 'longer lasting' effect. But is it really "better"?, who the hell knows...

I may try increasing the amount of glycerin in the next batch just to see if it's noticeably different in some way.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:07 am

CrossCut wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:54 am
Rain delay on some wood cutting planned for today, so working on a new and improved longer-lasting nasal spray formula. Test #1:

2 ml of 10% PVP-I
3 ml of glycerin
25 ml of distilled water

Was reading that chlorhexidine solutions have better substantivity in oral/nasal fluids than povidone iodine and would be a better choice, if chlorhexidine was effective at inactivating Sars-Cov-2. But it seems povidone iodine (PVP-I) has better antiviral activity against Sars-Cov-2 than chlorhexidine does, or that seems to be the scientific consensus for now anyway. The addition of glycerin to the nasal spray is my attempt to make it more viscous so it might 'stick' better in the sinus cavity and be longer lasting. Looking for the better of both worlds basically, more antiviral activity of PVP-I and longer lasting like chlorhexidine. FWIW, many, but not all, of the PVP-I solutions I've bought do contain glycerin as one of the ingredients.

Anecdotal observations: I expected the solution to be thicker, but it's not overly so. While I wouldn't call the original "PVP-I in water" formula harsh or caustic, the addition of the glycerin does make it noticeably more soothing in the nose. The sweet taste of the glycerin is preferable in the back of the throat to the straight PVP-I taste too, kids would likely find it more appealing. And for about an hour after application, I would occasionally taste the sweetness again which I assume is it draining into the throat from the nasal cavity, which seems promising that it might have the desired 'longer lasting' effect. But is it really "better"?, who the hell knows...

I may try increasing the amount of glycerin in the next batch just to see if it's noticeably different in some way.
Thank you for posting this CC :D

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:18 pm

I saw this article and it reminded me of the elderly and sick being euthanized in NOLA hospitals during Katrina. I learned from horror never allow a sick or elderly person that yo care about to remain in a hospital during a disaster.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 81576.html
Staff responding to the survey revealed the use of blanket do not attempt resuscitation (DNAR) decisions by GPs, hospitals and NHS managers.

One nurse said: “We were asked to change the status of all our residents to do not resuscitate and not for escalation to hospital. We refused.”

Another added: “All residents with suspected or confirmed Covid-19 were automatically made DNAR and given emergency health-care plans to stay in the home.”
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:48 pm

LG looks to be releasing a powered face mask--like a mini powered respirator--with HEPA filters...but it's got ear loops (which seem like they'd be actively painful after a while). I don't see a lot of people picking it up for COVID reasons. Some, sure, probably mostly in Asia where facemasks are far more commonly worn anyway.

But if/when someone makes head straps for it I think it'd have potential for a workshop mask. There are times my dust mask is just too muggy for comfort, but I don't have enough need for a full-up powered respirator...something that's like $100-150 and in the middle would be nice.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:08 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:48 pm
LG looks to be releasing a powered face mask--like a mini powered respirator--with HEPA filters...but it's got ear loops (which seem like they'd be actively painful after a while). I don't see a lot of people picking it up for COVID reasons. Some, sure, probably mostly in Asia where facemasks are far more commonly worn anyway.

But if/when someone makes head straps for it I think it'd have potential for a workshop mask. There are times my dust mask is just too muggy for comfort, but I don't have enough need for a full-up powered respirator...something that's like $100-150 and in the middle would be nice.
Link please?

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:08 am
boskone wrote:

Link please?
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08 ... ffortless/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 am

boskone wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:08 am
boskone wrote:

Link please?
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08 ... ffortless/
I *HAVE* to have one of those! :clap:

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm

A briefing by Dr John Campbell, essentially commenting that the studies saying hydroxychloroquine does not work, were using too high of a dose, that studies of low dose use show significant positive effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzXHnUViro

He provides links to a number of studies.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:22 pm

fred.greek wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm
A briefing by Dr John Campbell, essentially commenting that the studies saying hydroxychloroquine does not work, were using too high of a dose, that studies of low dose use show significant positive effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzXHnUViro

He provides links to a number of studies.
I think Dr. Campbell is an RN, not a Physician.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:53 am

An interesting study by the CDC. In it they said only 6% of the deaths in the study listed COVID as the sole source of death. Clearly this statement applies to the studied deaths and is not meant to be a blanket statement. However it is clear that comorbidity issues are a key in COVID fatalities.

There is a link that shows that people with diabetes, liver, heart and kidney disease show up in a large % of the deaths stats. Health people who simply died from contracting COVID were rare in the studied database. The study does support the common sense logic that unhealthy people are more likely to die from COVID than healthy people.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... orbidities
Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups. For data on comorbidities
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:49 pm

An additional study on COVID mortality done in NOLA. It is only 287 people so it may or may not statistically significant. That said the conclusions are similar to others. People who contract COVID and have 3 of these 5 symptoms are at much higher risk than healthy people.

1. High fasting blood sugar (diabetes/pre-diabetes)
2. High Blood pressure
3. High triglycerides
4. Low HDL
5. BMI greater than 30.

So if you are still afraid of COVID, one prep you may want to consider is to attempt to address three of these items. It may likely increase your survival chances if you are infected with COVID.

It would note that losing weight is good for raising your HDL and may have a positive impact on high blood pressure. Thus 5 seems to a critical path for success.

A link to the study:
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/conte ... 4.full.pdf
“I could identify a patient that would do poorly from this just by standing at the edge of the room,” said Denson, assistant professor of medicine and pulmonary and critical care medicine physician at Tulane University School of Medicine.

This week, that pattern was quantified in a study published in the journal Diabetes Care. By looking at patients during the one-week peak of coronavirus in New Orleans, Denson found that the overlap of certain conditions, known as metabolic syndrome, could predict a “lethal outcome,” Denson said.

Metabolic syndrome is a combination of at least three of five conditions: high fasting blood sugar, which indicates diabetes or pre-diabetes; high blood pressure; high triglycerides, a type of fat found in the blood; low HDL, the “good” cholesterol; and obesity, defined as a body-mass index of 30 or above.

According to the study, when a patient had diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity, they were 3.4 times as likely to die in the hospital than a patient without metabolic syndrome.

Researchers looked at data from 287 people who needed treatment for coronavirus at University Medical Center and Tulane Medical Center from March 30 to April 5.

They divided the patients into two groups — those who had metabolic syndrome and those who did not. Almost all of the study subjects — 85% — were Black, and the average age was 61.

Just over half of hospitalized patients with metabolic syndrome required intensive care, compared with about 1 in 4 without it. When it came to ventilator usage, half of metabolic syndrome patients needed one compared with only about 1 out of 5 without it. The fatality rate was much higher as well: 26% of metabolic syndrome patients died compared with 10% of those without it.

When patients had just one of the conditions, mortality risk was not increased. But having obesity or diabetes was associated with increased risk of ICU admission and the need for a ventilator.

It’s still not clear why the coronavirus hits people with these conditions harder.

“For typical respiratory viruses, usually when I have someone with the flu or another coronavirus, people who get it and get really sick are from all walks of life,” said Denson. He said the increased risk may be related to the level of inflammation caused by excess fat cells.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:09 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:49 pm
An additional study on COVID mortality done in NOLA. It is only 287 people so it may or may not statistically significant. That said the conclusions are similar to others. People who contract COVID and have 3 of these 5 symptoms are at much higher risk than healthy people.

1. High fasting blood sugar (diabetes/pre-diabetes)
2. High Blood pressure
3. High triglycerides
4. Low HDL
5. BMI greater than 30.

So if you are still afraid of COVID, one prep you may want to consider is to attempt to address three of these items. It may likely increase your survival chances if you are infected with COVID.

It would note that losing weight is good for raising your HDL and may have a positive impact on high blood pressure. Thus 5 seems to a critical path for success.
Well, sheeit... I'm like those dentists that recommend Trident... 4 out 5. :ohdear:

Ah, well, so far the immortality spell seems to be working fine except for that ominous creaking and cracking...could just be my knees though...

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Related to 'fat'

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200 ... hreat.aspx (doctor reviewed article - ie, seems legit)

Could a simple drug, that has been on the market for decades, be used to treat COVID-19? A research team led by Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HU)'s Professor Yaakov Nahmias says that early research looks promising; their findings appear in this week's Cell Press' Sneak Peak.

Over the last three-months, Nahmias and Dr. Benjamin tenOever at New York's Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai have focused on the ways in which the SARS-CoV-2 (aka, the coronavirus that's causing our current pandemic) changes patients' lungs in order to reproduce itself.

Their major finding? This virus prevents the routine burning of carbohydrates. As a result, large amounts of fat accumulate inside lung cells, a condition the virus needs in order to reproduce.

full article at link.
interesting research, to say the least.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm
Related to 'fat'

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200 ... hreat.aspx (doctor reviewed article - ie, seems legit)

Could a simple drug, that has been on the market for decades, be used to treat COVID-19? A research team led by Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HU)'s Professor Yaakov Nahmias says that early research looks promising; their findings appear in this week's Cell Press' Sneak Peak.

Over the last three-months, Nahmias and Dr. Benjamin tenOever at New York's Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai have focused on the ways in which the SARS-CoV-2 (aka, the coronavirus that's causing our current pandemic) changes patients' lungs in order to reproduce itself.

Their major finding? This virus prevents the routine burning of carbohydrates. As a result, large amounts of fat accumulate inside lung cells, a condition the virus needs in order to reproduce.

full article at link.
interesting research, to say the least.
Okay, my inner young-teen is inundating me with "fat lung" boob jokes. Let's all just keep those inner teens under lockdown, okay? :lol:

Current Weather in My AO

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:03 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:53 am
An interesting study by the CDC. In it they said only 6% of the deaths in the study listed COVID as the sole source of death. Clearly this statement applies to the studied deaths and is not meant to be a blanket statement. However it is clear that comorbidity issues are a key in COVID fatalities.

There is a link that shows that people with diabetes, liver, heart and kidney disease show up in a large % of the deaths stats. Health people who simply died from contracting COVID were rare in the studied database. The study does support the common sense logic that unhealthy people are more likely to die from COVID than healthy people.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... orbidities
Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups. For data on comorbidities
Worth digging into that table 3. They're counting things like "pneumonia", "respiratory distress" and "respiratory failure" as comorbidities. All caused by covid.

Going to go out on a limb and say those 6% are doctors that didnt fill out the form all the way...

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:40 am

Confucius wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:03 pm

Worth digging into that table 3. They're counting things like "pneumonia", "respiratory distress" and "respiratory failure" as comorbidities. All caused by covid.

Going to go out on a limb and say those 6% are doctors that didnt fill out the form all the way...
I think that is a pretty strong limb.
The one thing that COVID has made very clear to me is that basic record keeping in the medical world does not meet the standards set in financial world. You add that to .gov's lack of data collection ability and you get garbage stats that we seem to have today.
Duco Ergo Sum

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm

My brother tipped me off to this. It cleanly ties together everything I've read on this.

Easier to read.
https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercom ... cb8eba9d63

A little more technical.
https://elifesciences.org/articles/59177
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:43 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm
My brother tipped me off to this. It cleanly ties together everything I've read on this.

Easier to read.
https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercom ... cb8eba9d63

A little more technical.
https://elifesciences.org/articles/59177
tl;dr: it's probably a vascular disease, rather than a respiratory one. Other coronavirus cause respiratory ailments, and that matches many of the observable symptoms of COVID-19. However, there are a lot of weird symptoms (heart damage, loss of taste/scent, etc). After some supercomputer time, this looks much more likely.

If so it explains almost all the pathology, explains why ventilators have been relatively unsuccessful, and means some existing drugs may help treatment. (Note: not preventatives nor prophylactics, because they're nothing to fuck around with; but may help people who are well on their way down shit creek.)

Also why women are less likely to die; the genes which typically regular the relevant systems are on the X-chromosome, so women tend to get a double-dose compared to guys.

Good link, RoneKiln.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am

Current Weather in My AO

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 pm

A group of bio researchers I know was discussing this a couple of days ago when various outlets first started repeating it. Their take away is they think the story is actually referring to one of the early mutations that has been the dominant strain for months now. However, so little info is available in the mainstream news like the Fox link above that they're not really sure. No one knows of any recent research showing a new strain though.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Is a new round of panic-buying coming up as COVID resurges?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... kouts.html

Return to “All Things Pandemic”