Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:53 am 

Old school hammocks (without the soc) are just as open as a tarp, if you hang the tarp a few feet above you, though.

From Ghandi's essays "The Gospel of Nonviolence": "My nonviolence does not admit of running away from danger and leaving dear ones unprotected. Between violence and cowardly flight, I can only prefer violence to cowardice. I can no more preach nonviolence to a coward than I can tempt a blind man to enjoy healthy scenes."

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 pm 

Coming from the PNW I am partial to the tent. But my question has always been "Why doesn't anyone make tents out of traditional tarp material?". I know there is that place tarptent.com or whatever. They don't really use real tarp material or whatever you want to call it. I look at this cheap tarp material and it is sooooo tough. Even a simple A frame style with a floor would be very cool. I guess then you have the moisture on the inside issue though.

I like the idea of being able to scan 360 degrees from inside a tarp. But have never found groundless shelters to be that reliable at keeping rain out. But again probably because of my experiences in the PNW hard rain.

P.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I have learned the intricities of set up in regards to going floorless in the PNW. Sure, will limit your options some, but it 's a good skill to have. Besides I always have a reflective blanket, the good kind; it's part of my 5Cs so I always have it. If backpacking and I have my tarp set-up I can use it as the floor if need be.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:04 pm 

I've used a tent and put a black plastic 8 mil sheet under it & another one over it, at times, in the Pacific NW it means you can put the tent away DRY, beats trying to dry it in the rain! Around here, you want something under you that's waterproof, generally LOL Otherwise you can wake up moister than you planned.

I think it's all a "YMMV" thing - Try your options out, sometimes one will feel better than the other options, so go for it - but, know the "gotchas", and plan for them.

I want to try a tipi out some day, but that's not exactly a easily packed and carried shelter :)

And a wikiup could be your better long-term plan when the Zombopocalypse happens.

From Ghandi's essays "The Gospel of Nonviolence": "My nonviolence does not admit of running away from danger and leaving dear ones unprotected. Between violence and cowardly flight, I can only prefer violence to cowardice. I can no more preach nonviolence to a coward than I can tempt a blind man to enjoy healthy scenes."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I own a very nice, heavy, hard to erect and tear down dome tent, but for a REAL Bug Out situation I prefer the good ol' poncho hootch for the following reasons: (Click on the photo for video.)

I also have a Basha that I really love. Here it is in a Poncho Hootch configuration:

I cut the shit out of my finger! OUCH! Lucky for me, I had my "Ultimate Altoids Tin" in my pocket!:

Finally, here's my Basha set up for a winter wind break:

Yeah I know tents are more comfortable, but they are a bitch to put up and take down, especially in the dark and they don't allow you a 360 degree view, something I think is very important. Also the tarp/poncho/Basha can be erected in numerous configurations and can serve multiple uses. Pluses and minuses for each, but in a REAL Bug Out situation, I'm going with my poncho and my Basha!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Last edited by ODA 226 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ODA226, I think ^that is one of the best posts I have seen in a long time. :D

Thanks again for your participation on this forum, it really is appreciated. 8-)

(hope you have just as much of a good time being here)

Also, your photobucket background is teh roxxorz. :lol:

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:51 am 

praharin wrote:
Just in the south? I'll remember to ask the skeeters what they're doing up here in Pennsylvania this summer... Also, the mosquito is Canada's national bird, being the largest flying creature in the whole of the nation, IIRC 8-)

I've found that the high heat and moisture in the south breeds endless blanketing swarms of small mosquitos. While the north doesn't produce quite as many in number, the cooler climate tends to let them grow to be about the size of housecats. Really it just boils down to whether you want to have a mild itch over every exposed inch of flesh or just suffer from a plum-sized bite over every 4-6 inches of skin. To each his own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

DriveInMutant wrote:
praharin wrote:
Just in the south? I'll remember to ask the skeeters what they're doing up here in Pennsylvania this summer... Also, the mosquito is Canada's national bird, being the largest flying creature in the whole of the nation, IIRC 8-)

I've found that the high heat and moisture in the south breeds endless blanketing swarms of small mosquitos. While the north doesn't produce quite as many in number, the cooler climate tends to let them grow to be about the size of housecats. Really it just boils down to whether you want to have a mild itch over every exposed inch of flesh or just suffer from a plum-sized bite over every 4-6 inches of skin. To each his own.

Mosquitoes are one of the few creatures I would want extinct; those buggers not only give some people like myself allergic reactions, but I've read studies that certain blood types attract more mosquitoes than others, which really sucks!

Although on second thought there might be all sorts of terrible food-chain/ecosystem consequences if that were to happen.

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

tookieblueeyes wrote:
My dad's old hunting buddy used to like to pitch a tarp...
One night he pitched his tarp and snuggled in for the night...
When he rolled over in the middle of the night...
He rolled over a Eastern Diamondback Rattle Snake...
It bit him...
He barely lived...
But he lived...
In agony...

I have also had a friend wake up to a scorpion bite when one crawled into his sleeping bag in the middle of the night when He was out sleeping under a tarp...

*** snip ***

...Neither is a tent always gooing to be the best option, and so is neither will the tarp always be the best option either, but it is a matter of personal preference and it is a matter of terrain and your own personal fears (like mine are repeating the rattle snake or scorpion incidences personally).

re: Snakes, Scorpians, Giant Spiders, Bugs and Tarps... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91805&p=2039946&hilit=Tarp+Bug#p2039946 :D

^The whole thread actually. :wink:

-

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
tookieblueeyes wrote:
It bit him...
He barely lived...
But he lived...
In agony...

I have also had a friend wake up to a scorpion bite when one crawled into his sleeping bag in the middle of the night when He was out sleeping under a tarp...

*** snip ***

...Neither is a tent always gooing to be the best option, and so is neither will the tarp always be the best option either, but it is a matter of personal preference and it is a matter of terrain and your own personal fears (like mine are repeating the rattle snake or scorpion incidences personally).

re: Snakes, Scorpians, Giant Spiders, Bugs and Tarps... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91805&p=2039946&hilit=Tarp+Bug#p2039946 :D

-

-

And just as I was getting over my phobia of insects! :cry:

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

derf26 wrote:
tookieblueeyes wrote:
It bit him...
He barely lived...
But he lived...
In agony...

*** snip ***

-

And just as I was getting over my phobia of insects! :cry:

Yeah, I went overboard on page two. :lol:

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The insect issue is a big one in the negative column for me with tarping...in the ADKs, for a couple months of the year, the bugs would eat you alive, and then the rest of the year I can live with tarp as shelter...I've never gone camping in Utah without a scorpion or snake being under or in my sleep-setup at some point of the trip, so I like a tub floor and zippers or sleeping off of the ground...I know they're not going to kill me, but they freak me out a bit, and are avoidable by tent or hammock...

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:14 pm 

ODA 226 wrote:
I own a very nice, heavy, hard to erect and tear down dome tent, but for a REAL Bug Out situation I prefer the good ol' poncho hootch for the following reasons: (Click on the photo for video.)

I also have a Basha that I really love. Here it is in a Poncho Hootch configuration:

I cut the shit out of my finger! OUCH! Lucky for me, I had my "Ultimate Altoids Tin" in my pocket!:

Finally, here's my Basha set up for a winter wind break:

Yeah I know tents are more comfortable, but they are a bitch to put up and take down, especially in the dark and they don't allow you a 360 degree view, something I think is very important. Also the tarp/poncho/Basha can be erected in numerous configurations and can serve multiple uses. Pluses and minuses for each, but in a REAL Bug Out situation, I'm going with my poncho and my Basha!

It should be noted that those are videos ODA posted not just photos. Click on them. I was amazed. I don't know why they don't have play buttons on them like if you posted a youtube video. But they are great videos. He took some time making them and posting them. Photobucket should change something more than that one thin line below them to denote that they are actually vids and not photos.

I clicked on them to see your background. Mine is now changed. Had no idea you could do that. Very cool! Much better on the eyes. Thanks for that tip!

I can't imagine my 1-2 man dome tent taking as much time as that set up. Mine goes up in about 5 minutes. Although I have not timed myself. I would think hanging all those guide lines would make putting up a tarp hooch just as time consuming as putting up my tent. I do, however, prefer a tarp for field of view. It certainly beats the tent in that category. I could see using it in the summer months in the PNW. But then again why not just go tarp/tentless altogether? Then again it's the PNW. Wait a minute if you don't like the weather. Right? ;)

To the poster about the tipi's. Don't forget Wyoming Lost and Found (or whatever their called) and Golite. Those tipi's look like they would go up in minutes. And are extremely lightweight. If I decide to do much deep winter camping in snow. I think I'd pick one up. PRetty expensive. But they seem well worth the money. Hell if I could afford it I'd swap out my one man tent for one. I think WLF or golite make one that is 3lbs. But again, a lot of money to save a couple lbs.

Great post again ODA. I like your use of the back wall to block wind and reflect the fire. I prefer the use of your poncho as a ground cover too.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:41 pm 

Quote:
Although I have not timed myself. I would think hanging all those guide lines would make putting up a tarp hooch just as time consuming as putting up my tent.

We got taught to pack bungees instead of lines because they take less time and there is no excess cord. The lines are more lightweight however, and if you don't mind taking a bit of extra time setting up are probably a better option.

*Edit - I guess I should have watched the video before adding my 2 penneth worth :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:08 pm 

ODA did a great job on those videos he posted in favor of the tarp or poncho and it is very persuasive but I still have the phobia of snakes, wolf spiders and scorpions to contend with so I am still sticking by the tent or hammock alternative.

Great job ODA, loved the videos!

No need to be a dick, it's just an opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

tookieblueeyes wrote:
ODA did a great job on those videos he posted in favor of the tarp or poncho and it is very persuasive but I still have the phobia of snakes, wolf spiders and scorpions to contend with so I am still sticking by the tent or hammock alternative.

Bug netting my dear. Bug netting.

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

tookieblueeyes wrote:

-

tarp and bug netting is a tent, but with more pieces to lose or rip or coordinate... :wink:

J

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Jamie wrote:
tookieblueeyes wrote:

-

tarp and bug netting is a tent, but with more pieces to lose or rip or coordinate... :wink:

J

:lol: While this true, 1 x tarp, 1 x bivvy and some bug netting is a lot less to hump for me than my tent and fits in my EDC Truck bag.

When my daughter comes with I have to bring the tent though.

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:25 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I prefer hanging from trees but when tarp camping during bug season a bug bivy works just fine. The bug netting must be away from your skin. This is something some gear makers don't seem to understand.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Woods Walker wrote:
I prefer hanging from trees but when tarp camping during bug season a bug bivy works just fine. The bug netting must be away from your skin. This is something some gear makers don't seem to understand.

I hang mine when I hang the tarp, keeps out snakes too.

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 pm 

tookieblueeyes wrote:

-

:| But the snakes and bugs can still SEE me and I can still SEE them :|
I am going by the out of sight, out of mind theory
:lol:

Jamie wrote:
J

Yeah, good point... good point.

No need to be a dick, it's just an opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:12 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

tookieblueeyes wrote:
tookieblueeyes wrote:

-

:| But the snakes and bugs can still SEE me and I can still SEE them :|
I am going by the out of sight, out of mind theory
:lol:

Jamie wrote:
J

Yeah, good point... good point.

Oh what's that... :mrgreen:

To keep things on track as I am guilty of off topic posting, well sorta anyways one pro of a tarp is fast setup. It doesn't take much to setup a tarp even on 3-4 foot snow base for a day camp. Even less to break it down.

Poncho lean-to.

Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Poncho flying A-frame. :)

8x10 tarp flying A-frame setup fast for a storm shelter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm 

versatility, size and weight. I love my tarp setup in the winter. Not sure I would stack my dry fire wood in a 1 man tent ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next