They DO exist - Coleman Peak 1 frames mounting ALICE ruck

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: They DO exist - Coleman Peak 1 frames mounting ALICE ruc

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:47 pm

northernxposure wrote:
huntingohio wrote:But my alice pack was 25 bucks frame and all at a gun show.... Jus sayin

I like the hellcat type ruck is there anyway to do it without the molle belt, i dont like the .mil look if i had to bug out
Any Kelty external belt kit should work with the Peak 1 frame. Shoulder straps are a little more complicated.

NXP
I bet they'd work with the 1603/1606/1609 then, huh?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
northernxposure wrote:
huntingohio wrote:But my alice pack was 25 bucks frame and all at a gun show.... Jus sayin

I like the hellcat type ruck is there anyway to do it without the molle belt, i dont like the .mil look if i had to bug out
Any Kelty external belt kit should work with the Peak 1 frame. Shoulder straps are a little more complicated.

NXP
Well, now I'm not so sure - the old Kelty belts used the same tried and true connection system that the MOLLE belts did, treaded webbing through the curved uprights. Looks like Kelty changed their frames around a bit and are now using a wrap around style belt for the frame. In theory you could make the belt work, but I'm not sure it's a direct swap out like it once was.

http://outdooroutlet.com/product/Kelty/2.98002-04.php Here's a link to the Kelty belt, you can see that there are now "wings" that wrap around the frame uprights.

Ninja Edit - Yep, after looking at the original P1 frame it should still work - but instead of going through the smaller strap openings, you go around that frame member into the larger opening and then cinch it down.

When I get ahold of my G4 frames (ahem...), I plan to start looking at making some other options for the belts/straps.

NXP

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 pm

northernxposure wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
northernxposure wrote:

NXP
Well, now I'm not so sure - the old Kelty belts used the same tried and true connection system that the MOLLE belts did, treaded webbing through the curved uprights. Looks like Kelty changed their frames around a bit and are now using a wrap around style belt for the frame. In theory you could make the belt work, but I'm not sure it's a direct swap out like it once was.

http://outdooroutlet.com/product/Kelty/2.98002-04.php Here's a link to the Kelty belt, you can see that there are now "wings" that wrap around the frame uprights.

Ninja Edit - Yep, after looking at the original P1 frame it should still work - but instead of going through the smaller strap openings, you go around that frame member into the larger opening and then cinch it down.

When I get ahold of my G4 frames (ahem...), I plan to start looking at making some other options for the belts/straps.

NXP
Kelty looks to be less costly than the MOLLE belt as well.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Less costly? Hardly almost $30 plus S&H for the Kelty belt where a Molle belt is $10 plus S&H. Plus I think you won't get the same comfort and fit a Molle belt has IMO.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 pm

NXP
The only problem for the MR Nice frame is the cost to outfit it to the 'ole ALICE ruck, for me at least. I'm a frugal bastard I'll admit. Now, the stuff that Patrick has done to make the older MOLLE II frame base more modular is pretty impressive... and it looks like a solid idea indeed. Truth be told, I am kinda partial to the 1606 but I agree with you, the 1603 one is nothing to discount just because. In fact, it does have it's strongpoints in all comparison, and even more so when you look at the cargo panel and it's possibilities.

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing it... I was unaware there.
6-

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Interesting. I have one of those packs. I got it on clearance in the late 90's at a place called 'jumbo sports' right before the store closed. I used it for a couple of years as my main backpacking bag. I never felt like i got it to ride right. When I started dating my wife, we went to the store and picked up a kelty trekker for her. One thing that struck me was how much lighter the kelty was. I mean it was WAY lighter. I attribute part of this to the very heavy weight nylon that coleman used, and part of it to the fact that the kevlar frame itself was very heavy when compared to the aluminum kelty. It is also not nearly as rigid as a kelty frame. They played that off as a great benefit. I don't know. It tickled me to see the coleman pack mentioned in 'the complete walker iv.' One possible advanage of the kevlar coleman is that it plays nice while riding in a canoe.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 pm

6UNF1GHTER -

I'm as cheap as the day is long - I know exactly what you mean when you say you're frugal. I honestly would not have picked up an MR frame had I not: 1) tried a friends out first for fit 2) tried the competition which is still very, very good but didn't fit me as well 3) been given an unknown holiday bonus well after the holiday had past and bills were paid. It was very costly (and unfortunately when I got it the 1606 wasn't out), but like all packs and frames in that price bracket it's an investment. I've got packs that are over 15 years old, and other than being hideous and overweight they work just fine.

If I were to get one today, it'd be used for sure. Lots of good deals in the used market, but you need to be alert and patient. From a strickly budget side, I played around with Kutter's 1606 and it's a great deal for the cost of the frame. Sometimes you don't need to take a Cadillac mudding...

Skull_Hide -

Just offering options for those that don't want a MOLLE waist belt. Comfort is subjective.

NXP

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Skull_Hide wrote:Less costly? Hardly almost $30 plus S&H for the Kelty belt where a Molle belt is $10 plus S&H. Plus I think you won't get the same comfort and fit a Molle belt has IMO.
Locally, new MOLLE belts go for $38 and change. AFFES - ripping folks off for over 100 years.....

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Skull_Hide » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

That's insane! I get all my gear online, I got my Molle belt, shoulder straps enhanced and 1603 4th gen frame for all $35 with free shipping. Also have a 1606AC frame that I do enjoy now with my silnylon Alice pack with MSS carrier, its very nice 8)
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:34 am

I think what we're all trying to say here is that economy of parts varies for each of us, as does comfort.

I'm glad so many options are being thrown out here. Good stuff, gents! Good stuff!

I had no idea there were civ parts that would fit MOLLE/ALICE, or vice versa...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

Skull_Hide wrote:That's insane! I get all my gear online, I got my Molle belt, shoulder straps enhanced and 1603 4th gen frame for all $35 with free shipping. Also have a 1606AC frame that I do enjoy now with my silnylon Alice pack with MSS carrier, its very nice 8)
I live "Overseas" in Alaska. Don't believe I'm overseas? Ask UPS, best deal is usually 2nd day air and a 5 USD item will cost 35 USD to ship.

What? USPS? Ya, most businesses that use UPS are locked into UPS, not allowed under contract to ship via the PO. Ah-hem, or so I have been told by said companies...

}Blatent plug alert{ Gunny Surplus will ship via USPS and only charges actual cost. How cool is that?

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

NXP-
Thanks for your input bro! Since I'm still using the DEI 16 series frames (03/06) and am not looking to upgrade to the MR anytime in the near future, if I do, I'll be looking used for sure. Since you've mentioned Kutter's ruck... what are your thoughts on it? I have a similar system on my medium ALICE and I'm fairly happy with it so far, but I don't have much to compare it to other than the 1603/1606 based rucks... and my civvy packs. Just wondering what you think about the NICE frame versus the MOLLE.

Tac-
Is it wrong if I say that UPS should include a free "travel sized" bottle of personal lubricant for every item delivered outside the lower 48?

Skull_Hide-
I'm guessing that your silnylon ALICE is the one that is on the DIY coating thread floating around in here? I've been following that a bit, ya ought to post that beast up here on the boards!

6-

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Skull_Hide » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 pm

You bet is it :D Where shall I post it, or start I new thread. I can take a few more pictures and get it up by tomorrow evening.

Sig 1911-22LR pistol

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 pm

6UNF1GHTER -

Kutter was nice enough to let me molest his 16xx based frame as well as the 1609 twin spar frame for DEI's own light pack setup.

As a system they work very good - even the little 1609 frame would be a great addition to your standard floppy "backpack" style bag that doesnt have any provisions for an internal frame. The only real bummer about the 1609 is that it needs to have the two channels sewn into the pack at the top for the spars to fit into (or at the very least some way to hold the spars apart at the top of the pack through webbing or whatever). That limits the flexability of that system to purpose made packs.

The 1606/03 on the other hand are great refinements of the standard GI flex-frame. Lots of adapation possible from a cost reasonable (especially on the used/surplus market) external frame.

That said -

The DEI externals will never be a NICE frame on many levels - the NICE frame has carbon fiber stays not plastic, the NICE frame was purposely designed for rediculous loads and has a much stiffer frame panel because of it, the Futura yoke and waist belt were designed for comfort/load handling of that frame so it works as a system with no "one size fits all" components. While the NICE frame can use ALICE, and dimensionally it was designed dimensionally to meet that requirement originally, it is a much different product than the current issue MOLLE frame. It's a top end frame for a reason, and the quality/capability shows it.

Is it really necessary for an occational weekend trip but mostly left in the closet waiting for Doomsday? No - not in my opinion. But neither are Kifaru packs, and many other packs on the market. That's money that could be spent better with more "real life" preps than "what if" preps. If you've got the money to blow, or just want a kick ass pack system that will likely outlive you - get one.

Skull_Hide -

When I think of silnylon, usually it's 1.1oz ripstop not 500D. :lol: I've got to see that one...

NXP

6UNF1GHTER

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

NXP-
While I'd like to quote (for truth of course) a majority of what you said in those last responses... I'll just put that knowledge into the grey matter bank.
Seriously, thanks brother!
6UNF1GHTER wrote: Skull_Hide-
I'm guessing that your silnylon ALICE is the one that is on the DIY coating thread floating around in here? I've been following that a bit, ya ought to post that beast up here on the boards!
6-
Skull_Hide wrote:You bet is it :D Where shall I post it, or start I new thread. I can take a few more pictures and get it up by tomorrow evening.
Skull-Hide-
Gotcha, hell, I've no advice as to whether you should start a new thread.. or build off the older ones. It's your call, but IMHO I'd start a new one for the sake of explaining what ya did to coat the pack and everything. There is plenty of discussion here on the old ALICE, and I'd like to see the details on that mod/pack.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

Skull, give us a new thread!

I'll never justify the expense of those high-dollar ruck systems, and I'd feel bad when I broke them :lol:

Since I like to spread my preps out in a standardized manner, anyway, DEI is totally my speed.

I just wish the 1609 had been used in the ILBE assault pack, it works great over an armor-mounted camelback...

Finch
Favorite Zombie Movies: GAR's Dawn of the Dead

Post by Finch » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 am

6UNF1GHTER wrote:Tac-
I've used that olde Coleman frame, back in my BSoA days... and I'd always liked it somewhat.. even though it was a little large for a 12 year old like me back then. :) Now, some 3 decades later... I'm still somewhat in the idea of "searching for the perfect ruck" meh. And, I'm still workin' on perfecting my own combo based on the ALICE.
man that brings back memories

we had several of these as loaner backpacks,
AR/590/9mm/EOTech/GLOCK/Scooter Hater/Pie/Blue wire/pro-bayonet/The NRA/.50 beo>.458 SOCOM

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Skull_Hide » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 am

It is here!
BOOM

:D

Sig 1911-22LR pistol

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:59 am

gets me thinking........
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Return to “Bug Out Gear”