SnowPeak GigaPower w/ Piezo Igniter Review

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 pm

SnowPeak GigaPower w/ Piezo Igniter
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/backpack ... -100a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Available:
http://www.rei.com/product/643058/snow- ... with-piezo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specs:
Dimensions: 3.6 x 2.0 x 1.8 inches
Average boil time: 4 min. 16 sec.
Piezo electric ignition

So, I'm not going to lie, I was looking for something to replace my Brunton Raptor. (Raptor review here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=64380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I still wanted something that would be compact for backpacking, run on iso-butane, and have a piezo igniter. After a some research, and hands on evaluation, I decided to purchase the GigaPower. I'm happy I did. First thing that caught my eye as I opened the box is that it came with a nice plastic case. I feel like it would do a good job protecting the stove in the bottom of a pack. Setup was easy. The legs fold out easy, but they have enough resistance that they don't flop all over the place. I hope that is the case the length of it's life. It's a sturdy stove, and feel like it could take a drop and still work. So far I'm really pleased with this stove, and it'll be accompanying me on a backpacking trip in the near future.

Nice blue flames when I set it to about a medium burner setting.

A cup and a half of water boiled in about 4 minutes on a medium burner setting in a GSI Stainless Cup.

You might have also noticed something in the pictures. It's a MSR Universal Canister Stand. Which is very sturdy, and can be used with tent pegs to absolutely nail it in place.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/st ... nd/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rei.com/product/814692/msr-u ... ster-stand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Re: SnowPeak GigaPower w/ Piezo Igniter Review

Post by EricinVirginia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm also noticing that you're using the Jetboil fuel cannisters. Nice. It's good to see some cross-compatibility in these products. I assume you'll be bringing this on the August hike?

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 pm

EricinMaryland wrote:I'm also noticing that you're using the Jetboil fuel cannisters. Nice. It's good to see some cross-compatibility in these products. I assume you'll be bringing this on the August hike?
Yup, you'll get to see it in person.

Most of the iso-butane canisters are compatible. MSR, JetBoil, Coleman, etc.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 pm

I have the same stove and it works great, but it can be a little tippy. I had taken to using the larger 8oz type canister instead of the 100g canister, when weight wasn't an issue. The larger fuel can makes the unit much more stable, but it's heavier. I'll have to go down to REI and check out that MSR stand.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:42 pm

sexy stove! i like the pot stands better than my pocket rocket. they look much more stable.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Picked up the MSR stand after trying it out in the store. It's impressive! It really adds a lot of stability to the stove, which is its only weak point IMHO. Thanks for posting about it - I didn't know it existed.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:53 pm

I will once again voice my support for the little windscreen that slips on over the pot stand/burner.

These stoves work great in the kitchen, but like any stove wind becomes a problem, for like ten bucks and 2 oz, you can get really good wind protection (plus it reflects heat up, I get a decrease in boil time with mine even when there is no wind).

http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/accessor ... p-008.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks fro the great review, I had initially wanted to get one of the GigaPaower stoves but went with the Brunton Raptor which in itself is a great little stove. I do have the Snowpeak GigaPower lantern which I highly recommend and would make a nice matching lantern for the GigaPower stove.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Apollo-11 wrote:Picked up the MSR stand after trying it out in the store. It's impressive! It really adds a lot of stability to the stove, which is its only weak point IMHO. Thanks for posting about it - I didn't know it existed.
Yeah, I just happen to notice it in the store one day... I was originally thinking about getting JetBoil's stand, but this MSR's is much better after comparing them in the store.

Woods Walker
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Good review Murph. I look forward to seeing the stove on some dirt. :)

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

uneekwahn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead

Post by uneekwahn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:39 am

What is the material you have on the handles of the GSI cup?

Cheers,

Jason.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 am

Woods Walker wrote:Good review Murph. I look forward to seeing the stove on some dirt. :)
Thanks! I've got a overnight backpacking trip planned that's coming up in a couple weekends. It'll get nice and dirty then.
uneekwahn wrote:What is the material you have on the handles of the GSI cup?
Cheers, Jason.
It's the outer part of some tan paracord. I just took the handles off and slipped it on. I mentioned that and some other tricks in this thread:
Quick Survival Trick Picture Thread
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=79957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

uneekwahn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead

Post by uneekwahn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Many thanks for that.

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 am

I'm in California for work and didn't have my gear so I bought this stove with the Snow Peak starter kit. Really like the stove and the starter kit.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Yeah, I've heard good things about the starter kit. Glad to hear it's working for ya.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Apollo-11 wrote:I have the same stove and it works great, but it can be a little tippy. I had taken to using the larger 8oz type canister instead of the 100g canister, when weight wasn't an issue. The larger fuel can makes the unit much more stable, but it's heavier. I'll have to go down to REI and check out that MSR stand.
That's exactly what I did on my 3-week trip.

Also, after getting bored of waiting for things to get hot outdoors, I switched to cooking in the tent vestibule. The stove isn't flarey, so it's as safe as cooking in tents with gas ever is.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

v3rs3

Post by v3rs3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the review. I'm debating on buying the Snowpeak starter kit or getting a MSR pocket rocket.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm

v3rs3 wrote:Thanks for the review. I'm debating on buying the Snowpeak starter kit or getting a MSR pocket rocket.
I got to try the MSR Pocket Rocket hands on a few times, and I don't like how the "arms" can't go level. I felt like stuff was always going to slip and fall off of it. Extra ten bucks or so saved me the hassle.

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Nice review. Snow peak makes nice stuff. I think one of the main reasons for the plastic case is that folks generally try to nest all of their cook gear inside the mess kit and some sort of case is required to protect non-stick coatings. The pocket rocket has a similar case. The optimus crux has a clever nylon pouch that protects the stove inside of the 8oz can's hollow bottom while protecting the pot coating from both the stove and the fuel can's bottom lip.

I'm really interested in the MSR stand though... it looks very nice.

So I was at an outdoor store in the adirondacks last week and i got to see one of those big primus cans for the first time (15.9oz?) They were almost as big as a tailgaiter propane can! Crazy.

I took a photo for you gents, but i have to grab my sd adapter from upstairs... and its too hot here to move...
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:00 am

Woods Walker wrote:Good review Murph. I look forward to seeing the stove on some dirt. :)

In the dirt! :D

Okay, so here's my review of it post trip. I am completely pleased with how well it preformed during it's initial field trial. Everything worked exactly as expected, which made my cooking experience totally easy. I don't expect to be replacing this stove anytime soon. *two thumbs up*

111t

Post by 111t » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 pm

-Like ^^^^^
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”