Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm 

Ok so I am now into hammock camping like most here, and have been brainstorming ideas for a rain fly. I am going to build a couple of my own hammocks before spring for the boys and they need a fly each. I was browsing through Sportsman Guide magazine and spotted these shelters that appeared to be more of a rain fly than anything. So I decided to get two and try them out. SG states that these are in “used, in very good shape”. When mine arrived I would say they are in like new and do not appear to have been used. This is how mine arrived. They still had that new smell to them and not the musty smell like old ponchos. Yes the material seems to be about the same thickness from what I can tell and remember of an USGI poncho if not a bit thicker.

I think the materials and webbing used along with the sewing construction are top notch. This photo depicts that…

At first I was quite skeptical about the DPM ( disruptive pattern material), however I think it will be usable. I wonder if I could Krylon in some black & green. However the color is kind of natural and will be nice on those hot summer days to keep the absorbed heat down.

I guess being only four years old is not that bad, if you count the cost it is an inexpensive option by all means. A new Hennessy fly is around $60 or so for the hex.

Unfortunately these are not your lightweight by any means. Each one weighs 2 1/2lbs. My rough measurements are approximately 8 ½’X7’. What does surprise me is the amount of grommets and tie offs the shelter has. I tried with my 28mm lens to get the whole width into the frame from across the porch but was unable to do so.

Here I laid the shelter/tarp over the railing and covering my kid’s bike. You can see the amount of light the material and colors allows to pass through. I must also mention on the center of the shelter and the top and bottom edges the nylon webbing is continuous from end to end. The only place webbing is not present is from those edges back towards the center.

The seams are sealed and taped; hopefully this photo shows you just that. This saves the aggravation of having to do so later.

The four corners of the tarp/shelter have these reinforced loops embedded into the webbing. You can use the loop or the grommet in either case it is a strong connection.

On the sides of the tarp you can see these loops that are nicely positioned on the center exterior edge. This provides you with an alternative method for securing the side if need be.

About 1/3 and 2/3’s on the top webbing you have the loops, which would allow you to hang or mount the shelter in odd ways.

Also on the outer edges where you find a grommet you also have a section of webbing that covers the grommet. I am not sure what purpose this serves. It does however provide another tie off point if the grommet is in use.

The ridgeline webbing that runs from end to end also has these types of handles. Even though on the ridgeline there are no grommets.

I have yet to experiment with these shelters but for $40 a pair, I feel that having a 100% waterproof shelter or tarp if chosen is a nice option to have. I think these will really shine over the homemade hammocks I have planned.

Last edited by aa1pr on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am 

THanks for the post.

re: The handles on the shelter = field expedient litter.

I wish the US would add the webing and handles on the US poncho, but now that ponchos are 'old school' it is likely a moot point.

Quite the deal tho.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:09 am 

I have been wanting one of these since I worked with the territorial forces in the 90's. I am going to pick a set up in a couple weeks!!!

TacAir, they have a tiny rollup litter that they use now-I have been out since 2004, I dont think they even issue ponchos anymore, sadly. Maybe still to the groundpounders, because most times that was our ONLY shelter. But, I really dont know if thats part of the issue gear anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:31 am 

oldsoldier wrote:
I have been wanting one of these since I worked with the territorial forces in the 90's. I am going to pick a set up in a couple weeks!!!

TacAir, they have a tiny rollup litter that they use now-I have been out since 2004, I dont think they even issue ponchos anymore, sadly. Maybe still to the groundpounders, because most times that was our ONLY shelter. But, I really dont know if thats part of the issue gear anymore.

TacAir - When I placed my order for 2 they only had 20 left, so you may want to hurry.

oldsoldier - Thanks for the info on the shelter handles as now it makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am 

A good bit of gear. Good catch and good write-up.
They're now sold out. SG claims they'd have it on backorder for late March, with a limit of one per customer.

Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am 

oldsoldier wrote:

They (Non-USMC, and that's another story) have ponchos and everyone has access to the (NSN 8415-01-384-1310) Ecotat system -- used by a limited number of folks.
ACU poncho (NSN 8405-01-547-2555) and these can be had as "surplus".

As for the litter - I was thinking of the poncho as a field expedient litter...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Looks like a durable tarp. I like the camo as well.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

Damn, sportsmans's guide is out of them. This would have been a great upgrade from the tarpish thing I current have in my bob. Cammo would be good for my area to. Anyone got a line on more of these? The few on E-bay are all in England and cost too much.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm 

I have the same "basher" in the Green DPM, one of the best bits of kit I have. If I remember correctly they stoped issuing the ponch when they issued Gor-tex suites and a dedicated basher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

so is this a tarp?

looks to be very well made. nice piece of gear! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:15 pm 

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
so is this a tarp?

looks to be very well made. nice piece of gear! :)

Its really a shelter of sorts. I intend on using it as a tarp for yet to be hammock project.

These are a multi use piece of gear...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm 

I have the HM Supplies version of this basha in DPM. The only differnece is that there are male and female "push the dot" poppers on all the edges which are really useful for connecting two shelters together. I've used the shelter before with the edges poppered to eachother to create a sort of tunnel shelter which works well also.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:49 am 

I bought one today from ebay for 15 dollar, brand new. Looking forward to 'play' with it. :D
I hope it can have some heavy rain and wind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:30 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

DracoNL wrote:
I bought one today from ebay for 15 dollar, brand new. Looking forward to 'play' with it. :D
I hope it can have some heavy rain and wind.

From my experiances, it can.

However, as I'm a lowley Ocdt. can someone with more knowledge tell me if there's a difference between our DPM and Desert Bashas? I've only got a DPM one, and it's bloody good.

A Few Bungee's, some Tent Pegs and a Bashapole (if you arn't on exercises, then you'll be able to cut a stick, don't need a bashapole), and you've got a shelter for nearly anywhere.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm 

As far as I know not a lot mate, few minor changes round the edges, as I dont think they intend you to join two of them togeather.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 am 

I have received the package. Looks and feels fantastic, very nice product! I wil put it on my boat real soon, than I will see how strong it is and if it can take some heavy wind and rain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:04 am 

Sportsmans Guide is taking backorders on these. i ordered one and they say they are expected March 28.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=772943

Last edited by Icemancometh on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 am 

Icemancometh wrote:
Sportsmans Guide is taking backorders on these. i ordered one and they say they are expected March 28.

Got a link? I tried to eBay one but the shipping is killer.

EDIT: Found it. Its not showing up on searches but if you go in manually to the camping section of the surplus section you can find it.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Last edited by Kommander on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:26 am 

Good review! Image

That apart, its 'Basha', not Basher! Image

Whomever printed the tag on that item needs to go back to school, here's a bit more info'. Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basha_%28tarpaulin%29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm 

AeroNautiCal wrote:
Good review! Image

That apart, its 'Basha', not Basher! Image

Whomever printed the tag on that item needs to go back to school, here's a bit more info'. Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basha_%28tarpaulin%29

I made the modification in the title :) Thanks good to know

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm 

My BASHER (BASHA) arrived today. It is dated 2004 and appears to have been used very little. I would say it is much better than "very good" condition. This pleases me greatly as I am not usually impressed with SG's surplus gear. Definitly a good buy for $17.97. Thanks to the OP for the heads up. I plan to set it up this w/e.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've had a pair of these in DPM since the 90's. Singly I find them a touch small for a tarp shelter (I like my gear AND me covered), but the two snapped together has heaps of room.

Back when I was in the NZCF we used them as litters/stretchers quite a few times. Snap the long edges together, shove two saplings through it, and hey presto an injured person carrier. IIRC the heaviset person we had on one was around the 90kg mark (200~lbs).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just got mine in the mail today. Sportsmans guide must have filled that backorder way faster than expected. I'm really pleased with it, especially for the price. I would say the material is somewhere between a USGI poncho and ripstop nylon - lightweight but not flimsy. I like the sealed seams as well. While I wouldn't consider this to be ultralight, it packs down well and appears to weigh less than a USGI poncho. I like the handles for a field expedient litter, but I'm thinking about cutting them off to shave some weight. Awesome feature for military multipurpose use, but not necessary for my purposes.

Get High Speed so Zombies can't catch ya! TAD, TAG, and Kifaru 4 sale! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104048

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 pm 

omega_man wrote:
Just got mine in the mail today. Sportsmans guide must have filled that backorder way faster than expected. I'm really pleased with it, especially for the price. I would say the material is somewhere between a USGI poncho and ripstop nylon - lightweight but not flimsy. I like the sealed seams as well. While I wouldn't consider this to be ultralight, it packs down well and appears to weigh less than a USGI poncho. I like the handles for a field expedient litter, but I'm thinking about cutting them off to shave some weight. Awesome feature for military multipurpose use, but not necessary for my purposes.

Omega_man, thanks for the head's up.
Just contacted SG - they say they are in stock now. I placed an order, and they are not on backorder, will ship post haste.
I do blame you for the two extra Moras I ordered "just because I was placing an order anyway." :)

Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.