A little different - Survival kit in odd package

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey, kids!

I've had one of the New England Firearms Survivor model Handi-Rifles for a bunch of years now, and finally got around to building a kit around it, as it has multiple storage compartments built into the stock and fore-end and grip. If you don't know the gun, it's a single shot, with a shotgun break style action, hammer that you manually cock. No safety. very simple.

Since the total storage volume is between 32 and 35 cubic inches, and nothing thicker than an inch, the kit can't be too extensive. But I decided that if I can put certain items on the outside of the gun and have it either not adversely impact its use, or else improve it, that was okay. (I have a "no dangling" rule...)
Think "trunk (or aircraft) gun with integral survival kit".

I ended up putting this together, inspired by the MagPouch Kit competition last spring. Had the chance to show it to Zoltan, Misubi, and ZapThyCat at a gathering during the summer. Finally getting around to posting it now.

Tell me what you think, suggestions, ask me questions....
(Someone may end up moving this to Firearms, if it offends anyone here, but this post is primarily about fitting the basics into an unusual but useful container.)

NEF Survivor Handi-Rifle, .308 cal., bull barrel, scope

20 rounds of .308 on sling

Stock wrapped with 40 feet of paracord
Becker Necker in sheath, slid under the paracord on stock.
(You can see the hilt of the knife protruding from the paracord, along the stock just above the thumbhole.)
Also slid under the paracord wrap:
2 x Emergen-C packets (Electrolytes and C)
2 square feet of heavy duty aluminum foil
10 feet of duct tape on a pair of business cards
(The two inward facing surfaces of the cards have ID and contact info)
Slid between the two cards are:
a Fresnel lens card (fire or close-ups) and
two $20's, protecting the lens (or C-notes, depending on how flush I'm feeling.)

Tekna Splash (1 x CR123 lithium) in handgrip, w/ LED replacement bulb
(or Gerber Infinity - AA, which I have acquired since I took the pics)
Princeton Pilot LED light and strap clip (uses 2 x 2016's), on rifle sling.

In foreguard:

orange BIC lighter, full size
2 x Esbit fuel blocks
Scout Firesteel and striker
P-38 can opener
Multitool mini, Gerber Vise
1 quart Emergency water bag
flat orange whistle
neck cord for whistle

In Buttcap:

Spare batteries - 2016's (4)
Quarters (4)
a length of self-adhering elastic bandage, red
Pair of orange foam hearing protectors (and fishing floats!)

In stock:
Esbit emergency stove (flatpack)
flat folding stainless steel cup
Aqua Pure 1 liter water bag
Signal mirror
small yellow cord loop (placed to allow extraction of stock contents)
emergency space blanket (or AMK heat sheet - have one, haven't tried to fit it in)
toilet paper, small amount, (sturdy)
short length of cleaning rod (for clearing stuck brass - sometimes happens with some surplus ammo)

Fishing kit in small plastic tube (no pic):
8 x split shot, various sizes, in Plastic vial (can be used as a bobber)
2 x larger split shot
2 x #4 pre-snelled hooks
2 x #6 pre-snelled hooks
2 x #8 pre-snelled hooks
2 x #4 hooks
2 x #6 hooks
2 x #8 hooks
assortment of small swivels and snaps
3 flies, assorted
2 orange foam spare hearing protectors (can be used as bobbers)

Altoids tin, containing:
20mm button compass
10 feet of Stainless Steel Wire
Pair of nesting split rings (general purpose and for snares)
30 feet of 40 lb test monofilament
2 x 12 inch Stainless steel fishing leaders with snaps and swivels
(fishing, snares, etc.)
4 x safety pins
1 x paperclips
6 Katadyn Water purification tablets
Micro-awl with 2 heavy duty awl needles
(Awl cross bar is a large cotter pin,can be used for other things)
two other needles, 1 straight, 1 curved on
card with several yards of heavy and very heavy duty thread

First Aid (also in same Altoids tin):
1 x triple antibiotic packet
1 x Betadine swab packet
2 x Vicodin pain meds in plastic vial
2 x Motrin packets (each holds 2 x 200 mg ibuprofen tablets)
2 x Loperimide capsules (Immodium equiv. - for diarrhea, etc.)
2 x Pepto-Bismol tablets
4 x Benadryl tablets in small plastic vial (also fishing float!)
2 x fabric knuckle bandages
1 x 2x2 gauze pad
1 large adhesive bandage (2x4)
6 Steri-strip closure strips
1 x 3 in strip of moleskin

Note:
The "flat folding stainless steel cup" may no longer be available.
i certainly have not beenable to findit. Superb piece of design.
One of my favorite possessions, had it since I was probably 10 (around 1965 - L.L. Bean), when my dad got these for himself and my brother and I, for use when hunting or walking in the woods. Sits flat in your pocket. Pop it out, grab the opposite edges of the two very carefully cut sheets of flexible stainless steel. Pull them apart and the two rivets slide in the two slots and then SNAP, you have a beautiful and extremely effective cup, which doesn't leak, and is well suited to scooping up a drink of water from any stream (back when you could get a drink from a stream without fear - due to either ignorance or fewer people polluting the watershed).
It will also fit on the Esbit Emergency stove and allow you to boil VERY small amounts of water. Just remember to pick it up with the Gerber Vise mini-multitool!

I have had this thing for 45 years. It has a traveled everywhere with me, been used extensively, and still looks like it just came out of the box.
Gotta love good quality stainless.

Mag Pouch Kit Contest Entry - French Press based: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p1275085
NEF/H&R Survivor Handi-Rifle survival kit: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=72375

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: A little different - Survival kit in odd package

Post by Dogan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

You're awesome.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Really nice kit you've got there!

Well thought out and very tightly packed! :D

Do you run the paracord through the knife sheath to keep it secure or sick with friction?

Edit in case someone is interested.
The cup is an old "Bob Lane" drinking cup. I think the company was also named afer him but you can probaböy google it.
Last edited by Sealegs on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

Gristle McThornBody

Post by Gristle McThornBody » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

:shock: Wow. "BOB? Naw, I got my rifle. I'm good. :D "
Luthifer wrote:
davidt1 wrote: I like to carry my things discreetly. I don't want to look like an electrician or someone like that.
I have often feared being mistaken for an electrician. Sometimes, people ask me to rewire their breaker panels FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Very slick.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Bravo! Well done sir, I love it.

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Actually, I secured the paracord, but left a length loose, and use that to secure the actual knife IN the sheath.
Tucked under the cord, the sheath isn't going anywhere (until you end up using the cord...), but I worried about the knife - the Becker clicks in there pretty snugly, but if you were walkign through the woods with this slung, it would be very easy for a stray branch to drag the knife out and with it's black finish, it could be very tough to find after that...

I also have the cord running through the split ring on the end of the flashlight I tuck up inside the pistol grip.

I figured this was an okay minimum kit as it has:
two blades (if you count the one in the Gerber)
two lights
two ways to treat water
two water containers
two ways to start fire (three if you count the Fresnel lens)
two ways to feed yourself (snares and fishing), even after you run out of ammo
And a smattering of tools, conveniences, and first aid.

The single shelter warmth item makes me a little twitchy, but it is VERY space constrained.
And anytime I'd be out walking in the woods with this rifle, I'd be (over-)dressed for the conditions.

I should have stuffed a few petroleum jelly cotton balls in - but they are messy. Didn't think of it, until now.
Shaved Esbit works pretty well.

I grew up in snow country, so i do not mess around on the exposure issue.
Mag Pouch Kit Contest Entry - French Press based: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p1275085
NEF/H&R Survivor Handi-Rifle survival kit: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=72375

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 pm

No kiddong, I often wish they'd sell mylar blankets in x8 sizes and tipi shapes. That would go a long way towards making me feel better! :lol:

I'm pretty paranoid about knife dropage as well. Maybe run a fastening knot through the lanyard hole. Would make a really long lanyard if you were in a hurry though!
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:54 pm

The item I most want to add to this is either an insert barrel in .22lr, or a chamber adapter insert in .32 ACP (or the one in .32 short Colt, long, or H&R) (from MCACE in Alaska), because, post-.308, a squirrel (or similar) is not really gonna be much good to eat.

Of course, around here, if I went after a raccoon, I might WANT the .308 rather than the .22...

But one of those 6, 10, or 14" barrels inserts that allowed the rifle to shoot .22lr would be handy.
I'd then have to add on some elastic to the skinny parts of the shoulder strap, to hold a bunch of .22 rounds.
Problem with the chamber adapter is that it requires Loc-Tite to install, and a broken shell extractor to remove.
So the insert barrel is a more flexible choice.

Of course, i could go nuts and send the rifle back to H&R and have them fit it with an additional barrel in, say, 12 gauge, and then get barrel inserts in .22lr and maybe some larger caliber....

hangfire

Post by hangfire » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Dude! I always wondered exactly how much stuff you could pack into one of those NEF stocks.

Nicely done.
"PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF".
George Orwell

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Actually, a lot of people find that the stock is too skinny for shooting. It's flat sided and I think it matches the width of the action, which is quite slim. Hence the stock is about 1.25 to 1.5 inches across. Much improved with the paracord and stuff on it.

I've considered making a custom replacement that was slightly thicker, from carbon fiber and resin, vacuum bagged, to be able to hold a bit more stuff, but I think that one of the good things about this rifle is that it can be stuffed just about anywhere, especially skinny spots (under or behind vehicle seats, etc.)

Easier without the big scope, which is why I'm considering getting an alternative barrel for it. And one with iron sights. Or the shotgun barrel.

Prior to making this kit, I was checking for just ammo storage and the fore-end furniture can hold 12 .308 rounds, or 27 .223 rounds.

SoCalDep

Post by SoCalDep » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 pm

That is soooo cool. I've wanted a .223 handi-rifle for some time...You're tempting me to break my budget!!!

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 pm

They are really inexpensive.

Or were. I picked this up used at a store in Idaho about 7-8 years ago for about $200 - 250, with the scope.

Been very happy with it. Robust.

georgehumphreys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (maybe not zombies but close enough!)

Post by georgehumphreys » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:25 am

Amazing the amount of stuff you got in there. As to someones suggestion that the knife might slip out, I've found that liquid electrical tape works quite well to put a non-stick,or silent surface on things. I've used it on knives, flashlites and even seen it used on a 10/22.
Sometimes when you cry, no one see's your tears
Sometimes when when you are worried, no one see's your pain
Sometimes when you are happy, no one see's you smile
But, fart just one time.......

Tolerance and diversity, make me want to vomit!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

BigHoss
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead! Not the remake.

Post by BigHoss » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 am

Very nice!
Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up!

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:40 am

Couldn't you fashion some kind of slabs (maybe w. a cheek rest?) and screw them on to the stock. Might even add more space if you made them out of some polymer.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 am

argyre wrote:Actually, I secured the paracord, but left a length loose, and use that to secure the actual knife IN the sheath.
Tucked under the cord, the sheath isn't going anywhere (until you end up using the cord...), but I worried about the knife - the Becker clicks in there pretty snugly, but if you were walkign through the woods with this slung, it would be very easy for a stray branch to drag the knife out and with it's black finish, it could be very tough to find after that...

I also have the cord running through the split ring on the end of the flashlight I tuck up inside the pistol grip.

I figured this was an okay minimum kit as it has:
two blades (if you count the one in the Gerber)
two lights
two ways to treat water
two water containers
two ways to start fire (three if you count the Fresnel lens)
two ways to feed yourself (snares and fishing), even after you run out of ammo
And a smattering of tools, conveniences, and first aid.

The single shelter warmth item makes me a little twitchy, but it is VERY space constrained.
And anytime I'd be out walking in the woods with this rifle, I'd be (over-)dressed for the conditions.

I should have stuffed a few petroleum jelly cotton balls in - but they are messy. Didn't think of it, until now.
Shaved Esbit works pretty well.

I grew up in snow country, so i do not mess around on the exposure issue.

I WANT THAT CUP! i have been looking for one for years. Does any one know where they are?

Have you made a debris hut or a lean-to? you can get em built fast with a little practice and if you do it right they can offer a lot of protection. Pine trees help.

Love the Kit!

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:45 am

There's one on ebay now ;D Let the bidding begin!

Though if we were smart about it we'd have Elkhills photograph his w. a ruler next to it. Vectorize it and send the prints to a laser engraving place. I bet you could get good numbers/feet of sheet on those. And that patent is 100% expired. Probably why no-one makes them.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 am

I'm impressed. :mrgreen:
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:20 am

extreme win.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

argyre

Post by argyre » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 am

SeaLegs,
Didn't know ElkHills has one as well...
(thanks for the note - I had searched a bit, a while back, but did not remember the "Bob Lane" name.)

But rather than photographing mine, I could probably slap it down on my scanner (maybe include a ruler ;) ), throw it into Illustrator and vectorize it, from each side.

I am NOT willing to take it apart.

Maybe I need to get a run of these made, with the ZS logo etched on one side...
Have to find a source for really good quality stainless.

Of course, if I vectorize it, then i can scale it, and make a one big enough to boil a liter of water in... fab a flat folding stand to support it and you have a "flat pack" pot.
Who here hasn't wanted one of those?

Argyre

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 am

argyre wrote:SeaLegs,
Didn't know ElkHills has one as well...
(thanks for the note - I had searched a bit, a while back, but did not remember the "Bob Lane" name.)

But rather than photographing mine, I could probably slap it down on my scanner (maybe include a ruler ;) ), throw it into Illustrator and vectorize it, from each side.

I am NOT willing to take it apart.

Maybe I need to get a run of these made, with the ZS logo etched on one side...
Have to find a source for really good quality stainless.

Of course, if I vectorize it, then i can scale it, and make a one big enough to boil a liter of water in... fab a flat folding stand to support it and you have a "flat pack" pot.
Who here hasn't wanted one of those?

Argyre
Yes! Do this and I'll buy 4. Careful with the ZS logo though.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

argyre

Post by argyre » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hey, I am a BIG believer in intellectual property rights.

I would never use the ZS logo without going through the proper channels.
I assume that those channels exist, as I hear tell of ZS logoed Nalgenes and the like.

First off, i'll have to see about actually making some of these, after checking to ensure that the patent on the cup is no longer in force. I mean, I've had mine for a lot more than the 17 years they run, so it seems safe...

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

argyre wrote:Hey, I am a BIG believer in intellectual property rights.

I would never use the ZS logo without going through the proper channels.
I assume that those channels exist, as I hear tell of ZS logoed Nalgenes and the like.

First off, i'll have to see about actually making some of these, after checking to ensure that the patent on the cup is no longer in force. I mean, I've had mine for a lot more than the 17 years they run, so it seems safe...
:lol: Never mind I found the patent. Blueprints and all.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3087640.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Issued in '63.

Will probably help in vectorizing it, maybe we can rebuilt in in lightwave or a similar CAD environ. Will have to read through it to see if there are some tricks to the thickness of the sheet metal or whatnot.

I'll probably print mine with the three crowns of the Swedish army and a "A Tribute to Bob Lane" text inunder.

Edit, mybad, I wrote Elkhills instead of argyre. :(
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj

Return to “Bug Out Gear”