Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 pm 

The more I use it, I think so. I have several SilNylon UL shelters, one of which is a 5 man 2.5 lb tipi with a 2.5 lb wood burner, which is especially great for cold weather setups, BUT, the more I use my DIY UL hammock/tarp setup, the more I am convinced that these hammock setups are the ticket for most of our bow hunter's/outdoorsman's needs. My setup has a pocket on each side and these are a must IMO, or putting your boots, cell phone, gear, etc. Some guys in Alaska that have no trees will disagree, but the rest of us that have trees, will appreciate a hammock. This UL hammock use is relatively new in the outdoor world, compared to other types of ul shelters.
Hammock/Trap setups the perfect UL shelter? I am thinking so the more I use mine.
1. Comfort. Sleeping on the ground can't compare with these, end of discussion
2. Fast setup. These setup in on a few minutes.
3. No spiders, snakes, mosquitos, or mice can get you
4. Can setup a hammock in in standing water
5. No concerns of the terrain or rocks
6. Lightweight; my entire 10X12 tarp, bugnet, stuff sack, carabiners, rope, and hammock weighs 3.5 lbs
7. Trees are everywhere in my bow hunting adventures. By bringing extra 7/64" rope, I can setup anywhere trees are 12' to 30' ft apart. If need be, I can bring more rope.
8. I can vary the pitch of the tarp and let breezes in or shut them down, depending on the outside temp. Underquilts can be added for cold weather.
9. No need of carrying a sleeping pad to keep me off of the hard ground
10. Did I mention comfort?

Here are some pics from several outings this year field testing my setup. I made everything myself.

Inside view

Some trout from today

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:00 pm 

I have been thinking of going this route myself after a few friends have fallen in love with their grand trunk hammocks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm 

I nearly ordered a Hennessy Hammock over in the 'Raq, but couldn't justify spending the money on something I didn't think I'd sleep on too much. Stupid me, wish I would have had one in A-Stan. Pop up mosquito nets and iso mats don't cut it when you're laying on rocks. Fucking Southern A-stan, you wouldn't think a goddamn desert would have so many rocks. So in short, I think hammocks are the shiznite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I absolutely love my hammock and agree with you for three season anything. However, I really can't agree for winter. Some of the folks in 007 have been working on winter hammock setups and they all come in at what a good tent with stove would weigh. At a certain point you just get diminishing returns. For winter, stove+tent. For most other seasons, hammock.

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Rush2112 wrote:
TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Almost all of ZSC :005 has switched over to hammocks. I'm one of the few who still uses a tent, but it's mostly because I'm reluctant to purchase a whole new setup right now. I'll drink the Kool-Aid eventually, since most of the guys rave about how comfortable they are, while I'm hobbling around the campsite with a wrenched back. The main drawback I do see is that you have to have it adjusted just right, otherwise you'll be up in the middle of the night playing with the straps. I've seen one or two spills in the middle of the night, which would kind of freak me out, but overall, the consensus is overwhelmingly positive.

ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:30 am 

I too am eyeing the hammock as possibly my next shelter. I have had traditional tents my whole life and recently became interested in going the tent/stove route, but for my preferred climate I don't really need something with a fire inside. The problem I think I'll end up running in to is there aren't enough trees around lol, but I figure at worst it can be a "stay on the ground mosquito shelter" with a tarp over it to shed rain.

Fortunately my accountant is not a fan of creepy crawlies so it's getting more and more likely that I'll be able to score 8)

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 am 

I converted from a ground dweller to a hanger about 4 years ago, and never looked back. I had started with an HH Asym, which is an outstanding hammock. I recently switched to a WarBonnet BlackBird, and am hoping to spend a night out in it this weekend. Once you get off the ground, you will wonder why it took so long....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 pm 

The WBBB sure has a following, they must be a great hammock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 pm 

I'm loving it. There are 2 things, however that puzzle me about them. Wouldn't snakes/spiders/manbearpig crawl up through the rope and go into it? Also, if it was pouring rain or snow and the wind changes, and you are now getting wet, wouldn't it be a bad idea to get out to adjust the tarp? maybe a bigger tarp would do the trick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 pm 

Richter, most have a bugnet integrated into the hammock, so the bug issue is moot. And, to be honest, I have never heard of a snake crawling into someones hammock, and I know a few who use them down in the jungles. Not saying it DOESNT happen, but, I havent heard of it. And, with a bugnet, it wouldnt matter, as they wouldnt be able to get in to cuddle with you.
As for the weather; Normally, when I do it, I pitch with a side into the wind. When weather shifts, especially for the worse, it usually shifts 180*. And, even if it doesnt, it will, more than likely, hit your tarp at an angle. To minimze spray, pitch the tarp steep-most people have an aftermarket tarp that, when in the hammock, provides more than edequate coverage at the head & foot. Provided it isnt raining horizontally, you would pretty much be fine. Maybe a little spray, but, with a bug net, you may not feel it at all. I have been in a few thunderstorms, and never had any issues. If its raining horizontally, you may have a whole different set of issue to deal with :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:14 pm 

Thanks old soldier, you answered quite well. My tarp is 12X10, with the 12' length my ridgeline. Many people use 10'X10' and get by just fine, by going corner to corner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 pm 

Some more pics and pitch options

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm 

hey there were no fish in that last set of pics.. :(

What have you done to combat biting insects? I ended up just throwing money at the issue and buying something.

Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm 

Are those Whoopie Sling guylines? Pretty neat.

I haven't slept on the ground in years. I camp almost exclusively in my Clark camo NX-250. Best hammock I've ever used, but pricey! Worth every penny though.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:30 pm 

I 4-season camp with my hammock setup(s), and only haul out the heated tarp tent for the most extreme days of Winter.

The learning curve for hammocks is a little steep, but no more so than tarp camping. As far as needing to adjust the hammock, that need shrinks with every trip. I can eyeball any of my hammocks and be assured that I will not need to adjust it again that hang. The tarps that do not have self tensioners installed will still need tweaking after a night.

Let me run down my seasonal setups for you, and give you some idea of what the weights really give you:
3 season rig:
Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, Crow's Nest under quilt, JRB Shenandoah top quilt (down to 40*) or Speer top quilt (down to 20*), silnylon 12x10 tarp. Total weight 5lbs 5ounces (JRB) or 5lbs 8ounces (Speer)

Winter rig:
Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, Insultex under quilt, Thinsulate over cover, Crow's Nest under quilt, JRB Winter Nest top cover, silnylon Winterhut (completely encloses hammock). Total weight 8lbs 4ounces (and I only use the 19ounces of the over cover if the temps are going to be below 0*)

If I go ultralight:
GT Nano hammock, Campmor silnylon poncho as tarp, bug head net, JRB pad, JRB Shenandoah top quilt. total weight 2lbs 3ounces.

-Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:08 am 

ok here is but one of a many part vid series showing a lot of basic hammocking tips and the series has a lot of tips for staying warm while winter hammocking. very informative and entertaining to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpB ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From a purely BOB perspective, I would think a hammock would be tactically unsound. I would rather have my feet/the rest of me on the ground in case things went south in the middle of the night.

However, from a backpacking perspective... I really really want one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:10 am 

Thorne wrote:
hey there were no fish in that last set of pics.. :(

What have you done to combat biting insects? I ended up just throwing money at the issue and buying something.

I am totally enclosed in a bug net, bugs cant get me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:11 am 

troll1000 wrote:
ok here is but one of a many part vid series showing a lot of basic hammocking tips and the series has a lot of tips for staying warm while winter hammocking. very informative and entertaining to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpB ... r_embedded
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:59 am 

Whiskey, for a bugout scenario, I have a DD hammock, but also a sleeping pad and tarp. I like the flexibility. My hiking is exclusively a hammock. HAving a hammock in my BOB in my jeep, allows me a little flexibility. The main concerns in my area, as far as natural disasters go, are hurricanes & blizzards. Hurricanes may require a bug out-blizzards are a shelter in place situation. the DD is a basic hammock-no bugnet. Its more for comfort (and, I keep it in my jeep, for naps), I think that, if I HAD to run, it would go with me, but likely not see much use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 pm 

seeing as how you can set up a hammock and tarp faster than most tents i don't see the issue with bugging out with one and using it and it's a lot easier to leave no trace with a hammock than a tent or anything else that requires you to sleep on the ground. they also make single point hammocks that only require a stout limb or something else you can hang from to hang your hammock. it's called a bat hammock btw. you can even hang on the side of a cliff if necessary. i'm thinking this might be a good zombie apocalypse sleep shelter. you can hang way up in a big tree or on the side of a cliff or tall building and the zeds can't get you and probably won't know you're there even unless you're a loud snorer.
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:22 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Quote:
I would think a hammock would be tactically unsound. I would rather have my feet/the rest of me on the ground in case things went south in the middle of the night.

Hammocks with bug nets and rain flies were used extensively by Marines in the South Pacific and grunts in VN, and pretty far forward from what I understand, though I admit I did not attend either party.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:31 pm 

Chef wrote:
Quote:
I would think a hammock would be tactically unsound. I would rather have my feet/the rest of me on the ground in case things went south in the middle of the night.

Hammocks with bug nets and rain flies were used extensively by Marines in the South Pacific and grunts in VN, and pretty far forward from what I understand, though I admit I did not attend either party.

Weren't those troops fighting in the jungle. Where the benefit of sleeping off the floor outweighs sleeping on it.

From a tactical view point the lower down you are to the ground the less easy you are to see and the better defence you have i.e. sleeping in a shell scrape.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:39 pm 

molawns wrote:
Are those Whoopie Sling guylines? Pretty neat.

I haven't slept on the ground in years. I camp almost exclusively in my Clark camo NX-250. Best hammock I've ever used, but pricey! Worth every penny though.

Yea, I have now installed amsteel whoopie slings on every tarp guy out too. Whoopies are awesome. The most lightweight, adjustable, non knot system you can use. Knots can weaken rope by 40-50% from what I have read. I use 1/8" amsteel which is rated for 2500 lbs and 7/64" which is rated for 1500 lbs. Strongest rope known to man.