Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:14 pm 

I was driving along today and spotted these on the side of the road in one of those yard sales. I got them for $10, not sure if it was a waste of money or not yet...I already have 2 pairs (newer models). So what really do I need these for? These are made by C.A Lund from Prescott, WI & have the ol' US markings. Both serial numbers are the same surprisingly enough or maybe it is the model number. Oh yeah they have 1945 engraved on both of them.
The rawhide lacing/webbing is in pretty bad shape in the major foot bed area. The binding is located in the wrong spot, for starters. The wooden frame appears to be oak or ash from my guessimate, more oak. I do not see or have yet to find any cracks or things to worry me about support issues with the frames. The toe & tail webbing seems to be ok, but will replace as a safety factor.

I am not sure if I should invest in getting these relaced or I thought about updatiing the old technology with new materials like the decking on my more modern snowshoes ?? I was thinking about some nylon or canvas webbing for the center foot support strap and possibly one of those cheap instep crampon for a modern day approach to old school thinking. For the decking material I was thinking possibly some very heavy & stiff PVC like material.

Here are my modern ones for FYI:

Or I was thinking the plastic material from say an antifreze jug with holes punched out along the edges and tied off to the frame with paracord ?
Sort of like this model:

I think if I can improve upon the material used in the decking regardless of the frame these should last quite a while possibly.

has anyone attempted this or did it differently? If so please let me know or if you have any ideas please do tell.

If not I guess they will decorate the barn wall. :twisted:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 pm 

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions other than scrapping them ???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

since i was born and raised in FL i know NOTHING about snow shoes, but could they be relaced with 550?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:12 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I say go hit the library and find out how they were made and do a restoration. That way you learn it if SHTF, but you also have a very nice peice of history. Plus with the pairs you already have it's not like you owuld need them short of the others being damaged. Working with rawhide isn't that hard once you learn how. I might reinforce the wood in some fashion if you planned to actually use them more than just to show they work still.

Image Image