Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recycling and your BOB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 pm 

So I have been quite poor for a while now and been wanting to make a few changes to my BOB. Just one problem no money :S

So Ive been looking around the house and trying to figure out what things I could repurpose for my BOB. Running a little low on ideas so I was wondering what do you guys reuse for your BOB? I know there will be plenty of "Well #$@! why didnt I think of that!" ideas from you guys. I need to buy a new SD card for the camera, but pictures will be up soon of the items I reuse for my BOB.

Obviously there are the Heineken can cooking setups along with hobo stoves/pop-can burners. One night I noticed that the Easy Mac singles microwave ready meals came with a little plastic tub with a thin foam like covering [cause its !@#!$@!@! hot when it comes out.... new microwave it was way more powerfull then my last and i put it in to long :S] if you shove it right down on the top of your LARGE Heineken cooking set up. TADA you have a little bowl to eat out of now. Also helps keep some of the contents inside from getting loose or keep small bugs out of your cooking pot.

Second thing I have been saving have been the little plastic mesh bags that come with the giant elephant garlic I buy, small tomatoes and even some nuts. They are awesome for keeping a few small items together and they hardly weigh anything. I look for other fruits and vegi's that come with bigger mesh bags so I can use them to stuff some larger items in them. Might be great for when you are out collecting berries or greens on the trail. You can just twist the bags so they stay folded up and out of the way in your pocket. I have also used them for washing my bore snakes. Helps keep the tail of it wrapped around things in the washer [learned the hard way]

Venom Energy drink bottles! I drink this evil stuff all the time. Really because I am collecting all the bottles. These things ROCK! they are the thickest aluminum bottles I have ever seen in the cold drinks case! I have even made a soup can size hobo stove along with a smaller Red Bull burner and used them to boil water in this bottle. It beats paying $15 in some cases for the aluminum water bottles you see everywhere, Sure they hold less, but if you just need a quick swig of something every once in a while they are great.

Newest item I have used has been the little 3oz bottles I collect from a friend that is addicted to 5 Hour Energy. I use them for holding the alcohol I use in my burners :D I have even put some sunscreen in them and carried them in my pocket, a lot smaller then the big ass bottles :P Shampoo/liquid soap, just about anything you would see in a little travel size bottle but a lot thicker and a little more durable I think.

OH, Almost forgot, the THICK THICK resealable bags that beef jerky, or even trail mix comes in from some of the big box stores. I have been saving them to be able to dump trash/dirty socks and other smelly things into! To me, using them is the same reason why someone will pick a .5mil+ garbage bag for it being more heavy duty then a thin wimpy .2mil bag. Dont have to worry about those thin sandwich bags tearing anymore, just another step up above a freezer bag. Obviously the freezer bag has one main advantage over them....You can see through them :P

Just a few ideas that have been running around my head for a while and Thought I would post about it to see what else you guys can come up with :D

Oh yeah, let us not forget about the Altoids tin ;)

-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 pm 

small plastic containers:
vitamin bottles
mini M&Ms containers

Altoids tins

Bicycle intertubes (for making ranger bands)

dryer lint (fire starting)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm 

I love making my own kit! Right now im working on making a nesting mini stove. As well going to make some char cloth here in a day or two.

I need to find the two cans I need for my stove though. If I make it right it should nest perfectly over my nalgene and cup system.

Pill bottles work great for keeping small things dry ( I always keep old pill bottles. I always find a use for them. One his holding my desk together right now!). Specifically tinder and fire starting gear.

as well im going to be making an alcohol stove soon as well.

Those jerky bags if big enough you can use them as improvised homemade MRE bags. I could be wrong though.

Altoids tins are awesome. They are great to have. I bought a mini altoids tin a week ago just for the tin. Im going to poke a hole in the top and use it to make char cloth and will keep it on hand to make more if needed. Usually if I find something that works well for what I want it to do I will keep it for the future.

There was a japanese beer that I drank last summer that came in a REALLY thick aluminum or steel can. Im sure there are some uses for that but I wont know till i get my hands on one again.

Edit: It was a Sapporo Beer can. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... canada.jpg Really heavy duty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 pm 

Film Canister got for free from the photo shop

$#!% never though the Mini M&M or 5Hour bottles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:12 pm 

Tanker505 wrote:
Film Canister got for free from the photo shop

$#!% never though the Mini M&M or 5Hour bottles

I plan on using the 5 hour bottles for carrying what small amounts of liquid I will need to make some campfire foods on my next kayak trip. I just recently thought about how handy they will be =) I never thought of a film canister though.

As well something else that is nice. PVC It makes good storage for crap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 pm 

Great ideas in here!

I also am a fan of the heavy duty beef jerky type bags for stuff. To the guy above, yes they make fantastic "MRE bags". When packing for a trip I use them to organize my food contents, like have all the ingredients for an entire dinner in one, all my extra snack bars and drink mixes in another. Plus it gives me an excuse to get beef jerky...Win/Win for sure!

I save the long, open plastic bags that loaves of bread comes in. They'll roll up nice and small in your kit, they come in very handy for foraging, and for making field-expedint gaiters if you need em.
Bunch of other stuff too...I mean it's a plastic bag, let your imagination go wild...

Will probably think of more, but that's what came to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm 

Stormrider wrote:
Great ideas in here!

I also am a fan of the heavy duty beef jerky type bags for stuff. To the guy above, yes they make fantastic "MRE bags". When packing for a trip I use them to organize my food contents, like have all the ingredients for an entire dinner in one, all my extra snack bars and drink mixes in another. Plus it gives me an excuse to get beef jerky...Win/Win for sure!

I save the long, open plastic bags that loaves of bread comes in. They'll roll up nice and small in your kit, they come in very handy for foraging, and for making field-expedint gaiters if you need em.
Bunch of other stuff too...I mean it's a plastic bag, let your imagination go wild...

What kind of stuff do you make your home MREs with? I was browsing the walmart tonight and was trying to get some Ideas. As well I realized that Spam is expensive. The email kind is free but the food kind is like 3 bucks a can.

Edit: Also Cigar tubes. The metal kind. Im sure they would be good for something. Just have not thought of anything yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

-Tin foil can be used and packed easily in a BOB.
-Bleach can be used to purify water
-Those extra twistie ties from garbage bags can be useful
- I bought a military 3 oz hand sanitizer bottle and re-use it be filling it from a large bulk bottle under my sink.

Tulta munille!! Image

offcamber's INCH Bag thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 pm 

Have a misfit spoon?
Accidently steal one from work or school or a resturant!?
NEVER FEAR!

Take a file to that bitch. Make yourself a nice spork.

( Ive done this )

Also ChapStick tubes are great. I gut them and use them for small things. Such as for my B.O.A.T I use them for my hooks and split shot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Never thought of gutting a chapstick tube, great idea, thanks!

Tulta munille!! Image

offcamber's INCH Bag thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:06 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

all great ideas here. any small bottle has a use....cans, bags, small tins, its all good for something. if you have read my posts, then you know im a fan of using recycled stuff...great post OP! :D

one of my latest creations was a solar charger capable of charging AA's for my MPSK. the solar panel came from a damaged/old address sign ( the kind you put in your yard and is shaped like a rock )

this is a stove i designed and built just for my MPSK. it uses a buddy burner for the stove ( tuna fish can, cardboard, and you can use old candles for the wax ) the wind screen is a tamatoe can, and the pot is a heineken keg can.

here is a hobo wood burning stove i made from a 1lb coffee can, the pot was purchased for the thrift store.

you can even make a sterno burner with junk cans, and some screen...

here a medicine bottle is used to store fuel for my alcohol stove...( all recycled stuff except for the cup ) the grill is the fan screen from a computer.

here i have a small fire kit in an old medicine bottle...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

jaxathon...great idea with the spoon. im putting together a new mess kit for my BOB and i though about doing the same thing with some dollar store spoons! i like the way you think. :D

ETA... props for posting up photos! :D

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i would also like to add something to this....

building you own gear, and using recycled materials help you learn a very important skill that we ALL need, and thats IMPROVISING!

i am always looking at things and asking myslef while looking at garbage/old stuff...what can i use that for?...what can i build out of that?

if you can improvise using old/unused things you will have that much of a better chance at survival, no matter what situation you will find yourself in :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:57 am 

Wow, Really love the cut down Heineken can!

Didnt get the memory card I wanted at the store [was going to upgrade in size] So I dont have any pics to post right now but I will in the morning :D

I will also have to show off the little fishing kit I made and the container I put it in, It was this protein drink bottle. its freaking awesome :)

I also collected some 90 day supply pill bottles for my mess kit, I keep rice and cuscus in it. I showed them off a little at the ZS:014 mock bug out back in November :) Hold about 1 cup of stuff in them each :D

One other thing I can add that I forgot about, is the older style Crystal Light plastic container They are almost 3" across and can be anywhere from 4-6" in height depending on what size you get. They are great for putting little items in. I keep the bandaids at the house in them, since I have a problem with the sink dripping in the batroom cubbard I normally keep them in [they would always get soggy from the moisture]

Pics will be up soon I promise!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 am 

I love this thread so much!

Can someone post more stoves please? Im really looking for more Ideas on design. Right now I am replicateing a J. Falk Design. The problem is finding the right parts.

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
jaxathon...great idea with the spoon. im putting together a new mess kit for my BOB and i though about doing the same thing with some dollar store spoons! i like the way you think. :D

ETA... props for posting up photos! :D

After many years of family things and whatnot I have ended up with a great deal of misfit silverware.

I will warn you ahead of time though. When you do cut them you will notice a metal taste for a while. I never used that spork extensively since I lost it after my first use but It was useable.

If you know how to do it safely I would suggest home electro plateing on it. Or if you know someone that will do it for free for you.

On another note. Hard drive platters make AWESOME signal mirrors. If I have really old computer hardware I tear them down for useful parts such as the magnets, Copper, Aluminum and other metal parts.

offcamber wrote:
Never thought of gutting a chapstick tube, great idea, thanks!

What I do with mine is take out the plunger for the chapstick after its run out or out of date and then pop the twist cap off. Snip off the spinny thing and then gorrilla glue the cap back on, making sure the glue goes around the entire twist end on the inside to keep water out. you can probably use hot glue instead. I would reccomend not using these tubes to house things that need to stay dry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:04 pm 

jaxathon wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
Great ideas in here!

What kind of stuff do you make your home MREs with? I was browsing the walmart tonight and was trying to get some Ideas. As well I realized that Spam is expensive. The email kind is free but the food kind is like 3 bucks a can.

Edit: Also Cigar tubes. The metal kind. Im sure they would be good for something. Just have not thought of anything yet.

Well, not really MRE's usually, most of my camp meals require cooking. Say for instance spaghetti, I'll have some hommade dehydrated sauce, spices and noodles, dehydrated mushrooms and onions all in one bag to make cooking quick and easy.

Though I have made MREs before, it varies depending on what I have on hand.They make SPAM in retort pouches, it's like .88 cents a pouch, one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 pm 

Stormrider wrote:
jaxathon wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
Great ideas in here!

Well, not really MRE's usually, most of my camp meals require cooking. Say for instance spaghetti, I'll have some hommade dehydrated sauce, spices and noodles, dehydrated mushrooms and onions all in one bag to make cooking quick and easy.

Though I have made MREs before, it varies depending on what I have on hand.They make SPAM in retort pouches, it's like .88 cents a pouch, one of my favorites.

oh I did not see those. I will have to take a trip out and look again. Was going to buy some Ramen anyway. Ramen is good food to take with. if you dont use the flavor pack. Packed full of sodium....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I bought a couple cans of shoe polish from the dollar store for containers, It's only a buck, and the containers are water resistant (not water proof) and are nearly impossible to open without twisting the release. I think that's the only thing I've recycled that hasn't been posted already.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm 

BullOnParade wrote:
I bought a couple cans of shoe polish from the dollar store for containers, It's only a buck, and the containers are water resistant (not water proof) and are nearly impossible to open without twisting the release. I think that's the only thing I've recycled that hasn't been posted already.

What did you ultimately use them for? Im pretty curious on this.

100th post too =D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

jaxathon wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:

100th post too =D

i dont know what BOP used them for, but i know one guy that uses them to make and store his char cloth, and it also stores his flint rock and arrow head for his bushcraft fire kit.

they will have another hundered uses to store all kinds of small crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:50 pm 

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
jaxathon wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:

100th post too =D

i dont know what BOP used them for, but i know one guy that uses them to make and store his char cloth, and it also stores his flint rock and arrow head for his bushcraft fire kit.

they will have another hundered uses to store all kinds of small crap.

Interesting.. To think that I just threw one of those out a few months ago. Now im kicking myself in the ass for it. I made a small stove tonight. it preformed pretty well. Had to stoke it a few times. It was made out of a normal green bean sized steel can. I did not get any water to boil because I had other things I needed to get done but I have a few pics and a short video. I will upload them and post them. =)

Edit:

Pics are uploaded. The video was too dark due to me doing this too late in the evening. I will do it again some time soon.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173 ... 1268529669
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173 ... 1268529669
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173 ... 1268529670

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 pm 

Here is a quick post of what I was talking about in the first post. Ended up just using the phone to take pictures.

The black mesh bag opens up to almost the size of a plastic bag you get from the food store. I am thinking now it would make a good net for catching little fish :D

All the differnt containers, the big perscription bottles that hold about 1cup of stuff, the 5hr energy bottles i am going to re label for fuel and the Crystal Light containers. I am trying to work on a little survival kit based off the taller oblong shaped one. Fit a heavy duty garbage bag in it and other little items you find in the bare essential survival kits.

The EasyMac Microwavable singles cup! and the Venom energy drink bottle. its like 16.9 ounces. Later on I will make another kit for it to be able to boil water, last one I made I gave to a friend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 pm 

I usually dont keep mesh bags due to getting very poor quality ones when I shop. I am going to snag a venom energy drink for the can. Why the hell would they make the can so beefy? Thats absolutely insane. Is it stainless? If so I hope its not lined.

Still trying to think of a good use for metal cigar tubes. Since I have a pile of them here. Perhaps I should use them to carry my bugout cigars? LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 pm 

Well the bags are not really intended for a stuff sack really. just a way to keep loose items together, my use for them anyways.

The venom bottle is maid of alum. its not that thick all the way through, just SUPER freaking thick at the top, It does take a kung fu grip to be able to put a dent in it tho!