Mag Pouch Survival Kit Contest- We have a Winner!!!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Pick a Winner!

Troll1000
2%
shrimpwd
2%
mheimdallson
3%
Necrodamus
4%
somberbear
4%
leadpulaski
2%
Murph
6%
deeds
2%
Veritas
3%
ODA 226
28%
Cameodtj
1%
ironraven
3%
northernexposure
4%
Zenophon
2%
argyre
4%
Paragon
20%
DesertEm
1%
2now
1%
colorsafe
7%
smiffy
3%

Total votes: 193

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Mag Pouch Survival Kit Contest- We have a Winner!!!

Post by elkhills » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Been talking with 6UNF1GHTER, seems the small ammo type pouch based kits have become popular lately.

Would there be any interest in a little friendly competition? Once we've declared a winner in the Poor Man's BoB Contest, of course... *cough* Darkside! */cough*

Maybe the winner will win some valuable ZS related prize like a T-Shirt or patch (?), but more importantly- bragging rights!"
Last edited by elkhills on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Re: Mag Pouch Survival Kit Contest?

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 am

Good to see this come up here, as I feel it deserves some attention.
There are many threads here on ZS about BOAT kits, and belt kits... possibly enough to make someone's head spin. The idea of a small PSK
(personal survival kit) has many branches, but the main root I think is the ability to have a small yet functional piece of kit that is not as bloated as a backpack not small as an altoids tin.

For all of you that have not seen this link, I encourage you to check it out:
HERE

It's all readily available stuff, and most of us might just have it kicking around in our gear stashes. (you know who you are)
A smaller pouch, and a tin or vessel to boil and cook in... the rest is up to your imagination!

What say you all?

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 am

I love it, as long as there is a standard size agreed upon for the pouch itself (I'm not a military guy, so have no idea of the dimensions of an ammo pouch).
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 am

We are talking about the old Green 3 mag pouches right? Alice was her name?

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:27 am

Klenzer:
Well, that was one thing that Elk and myself had not thought about.... honestly.
Not being a military man either, but familiar with surplus gear, I agree that maybe there should be a protocol or standard set for it.

Off the top of my head, I suppose a bandoleer could be classified as a mag pouch... albeit with multiple mags.
(which would not count for obvious reasons)

Hmmmm....
Yes, clarification should be worked out just so we don't get lost in the semantics of it all.
I'll see if I can pull some dimensions ASAP.
Last edited by 6UNF1GHTER on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

6UNF1GHTER

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 am

doubleohseven wrote:We are talking about the old Green 3 mag pouches right? Alice was her name?
Well, see my above post... we didn't work that out and just kinda jumped the gun on it. :P
Right now, it's just a suggestion phase. And yes, Alice will be included... me hopes.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am

Well in that case, can I use the grenade pouches too =P

Oguruma

Post by Oguruma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 am

Can I use a SAW pouch? That's an ammo pouch, right? :D

EDIT: After this contest, I vote for a knife sheath survival kit contest.

6UNF1GHTER

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 am

Saw pouches, frag pouches... M9 pouches...
why not? I think they are all fine candidates myself.

We need to make a list.... anyone down for it?

Oguruma

Post by Oguruma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:28 am

6UNF1GHTER wrote:Saw pouches, frag pouches... M9 pouches...
why not? I think they are all fine candidates myself.

We need to make a list.... anyone down for it?
Sure, how long do I have to assemble it? I am trying to build a small pouch like this myself, but I am still searching online for a few of the items.

What are the terms? Does it need to include everything you would want to survive? Or is it assuming that you atleast have a knife and multi tool on you?

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 am

elkhills wrote: Once we've declared a winner in the Poor Man's BoB Contest, of course... *cough* Darkside! */cough*

Maybe the winner will win some valuable ZS related prize like a T-Shirt or patch (?), but more importantly- bragging rights!"
Darkside is absolutely winning the most PMBOB Threads award!! LOL :lol: I might be interested but been kind of tight on time the last 10-14 days.

I think a bandoleer contest would be great as it is much easier to conceal under a shirt\jacket and is something you can grab and go.

+1 on the knife sheath kit too!
Last edited by Hachiman on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:22 am

I'll play. What mag pouch sizes will be acceptable? I think I have a old ALICE 3 Mag, but it might have been traded away. 90% of my stuff is MOLLE these days.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 am

Im interested...
Just pulled out a pouch and measured...
ALICE AR 3 mag pouch:
7 x 4 x 3

So are there any requirements on what the pouch has to achieve?

StorminMormon

Post by StorminMormon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm in. So are those all the rules? A 7x4x3 pouch?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm in too - I have a spare mag pouch laying around as well as some spare "survival gear" to shove in it.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Oguruma

Post by Oguruma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:07 pm

This wasnt my idea, but I think we should limit it to a pouch designed for 3 M4/AK47 mags at the largest. It would be kind of unfair if someone used a SAW pouch and somebody used a standard mag pouch. I could probably fit a USGI poncho into a SAW pouch if not more....

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

I'll put 50 on WW.
I hunt therfore I am

elkhills

Post by elkhills » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:00 pm

:D

Forgot to put "FEELER THREAD" in the header, but my intention for this post was to 1) feel out interest, and if moving forward 2) establish the rules.

This doesn't have to be my contest- it's our contest. Lets all decide together!

I think the 3 Rd. ALICE Pouch could be used as the benchmark. Thats a cheap, easy to find anywhere standard item. Mine measures 7.5 x 4 x 3. But if anyone wants to use something different but similarly sized that should be okay. I think a 100 Rd. SAW Pouch is pretty close to those dimensions, for example. Maybe a limit of 9 x 5 x 4?

As far as expectations of the kits, I say build it to support one person in varied climate/AO for 3 days. 72 hours is generally how long "they" say a person can expect to be rescued or receive assistance.

I don't think there's any big hurry for a time frame. Some folks may need to order stuff, maybe 6-8 weeks from officially posting the rules?
wyominglostandfound wrote:I'll put 50 on WW.
Yes. As our Bug Out Gear leader, WW will be required to participate. :wink:

Oguruma

Post by Oguruma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 pm

elkhills wrote::D

Forgot to put "FEELER THREAD" in the header, but my intention for this post was to 1) feel out interest, and if moving forward 2) establish the rules.

This doesn't have to be my contest- it's our contest. Lets all decide together!

I think the 3 Rd. ALICE Pouch could be used as the benchmark. Thats a cheap, easy to find anywhere standard item. Mine measures 7.5 x 4 x 3. But if anyone wants to use something different but similarly sized that should be okay. I think a 100 Rd. SAW Pouch is pretty close to those dimensions, for example. Maybe a limit of 9 x 5 x 4?

As far as expectations of the kits, I say build it to support one person in varied climate/AO for 3 days. 72 hours is generally how long "they" say a person can expect to be rescued or receive assistance.

I don't think there's any big hurry for a time frame. Some folks may need to order stuff, maybe 6-8 weeks from officially posting the rules?
wyominglostandfound wrote:I'll put 50 on WW.
Yes. As our Bug Out Gear leader, WW will be required to participate. :wink:
Sounds good to me. I think I might just use my small IFAK pouch I was issued and have laying around so I don't have to tear apart my LBE. Also, did we come to a conclusion of any assumptions we make when making this kit? I.E. we already have a knife/multi-tool on us?

StorminMormon

Post by StorminMormon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Also, did we come to a conclusion of any assumptions we make when making this kit? I.E. we already have a knife/multi-tool on us?
I was thinking the same thing. My feeling is that it should be "you have nothing, but what is in the pack". Having said that, you would have to wonder "what am I wearing". I mean, you're not naked. So...I don't know - it's a tough call. I think I would be wearing clothing that matches the general climate I'm in.

Also, are we "judging" these kits on shear volume of items? Or do we score points for ingenuity? Either way - I'm excited. I think we should set the rule on the size of the pack first. I don't have any of the packs that have been mentioned so far, so I'll have to get one. We can figure out the other rules over the next few days.

Sorry - not trying to be too opinionated - just offering my suggestions. :)

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:42 pm

USGI vs. SAW Pouch

Basically twice the size.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

elkhills

Post by elkhills » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Murph wrote:USGI vs. SAW Pouch

Basically twice the size.
YIKES!!! :shock:

Thats the 200 rounder, yes? If you cut in in half (100 Rds.) they're pretty close.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 pm

elkhills wrote:Been talking with 6UNF1GHTER, seems the small ammo type pouch based kits have become popular lately.

Would there be any interest in a little friendly competition? Once we've declared a winner in the Poor Man's BoB Contest, of course... *cough* Darkside! */cough*

:oops: *blushing*...thanks bro!

im in, and i would need to buy some sort of surplus mag pouch, or maybe not..... maybe it should not be limited to mag pouches, but "A" bag or pouch with a limit on the size. that way we could get creative in the bag/pouch we choose, but are limited to the size ( so we cant fill a crazy size mag pouch will all kinds of crap )

i dont know if there needs to be an amount spent limit on this one, i say spend as much, or as little as you need to on this one...leave the money out of the rules?

just my ideas. :D

StorminMormon

Post by StorminMormon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Yea, I don't think money spent should be a limitation. I mean, if you want to put a $150 item in there that could be replaced by a $15 item - it's all up to you. Again, I'm curious as to what criteria everyone is considering will be the determining factors for a winning pouch. Should we come up with criteria? Most practical? Most original? Are we all going to vote or is there some sort of judging panel?

Return to “Bug Out Gear”