Murph's Personal Survival Kit (PSK)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Re: Murph's Personal Survival Kit (PSK)

Post by Murph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 am

After seeing this kit: Dragon80's E&E/Supplemental Kit
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=108304

I think I'm going to see if I can incorporate some trauma supplies I have into one of the side pockets. The AMK .3 Med Kit is nice for small stuff, but wouldn't be any good for a major hemorrhage. The bag is pretty much packed to the brim as is, but I think I might be able to shift some stuff around to make it work.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the shout out! One way to reduce some of the size is to take less used items and vaccum seal them if you have a food saver. The SOL Bivy is a great item but for emergencies so I vaccumed it flat so that it was easier to pack items with and it worked very well.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:20 am

So after rearranging things and playing Tetris with the contents I freed up a side pocket for the following: SWAT-T, USGI Dressing, QC Combat Gauze, and some duct tape. Not my ideal contents right now, but it's a start. I thought about strapping a CAT to the outside, but decided against it. I've been working on coming up with a small trauma kit to a jacket pocket or such, so once that's finished, I'll probably use the same thing here.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

carrion

Post by carrion » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Murph, good on you, I would add a metal SS cup like a sierra cup. You could hang it on the outside, good to dip a drink of water, boil water, heat a meal....etc....
Look to the future but remember the past

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Murph wrote:So after rearranging things and playing Tetris with the contents ...
Careful, that PSK is starting to evolve into a BOB. :D

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Boondock wrote:
Murph wrote:So after rearranging things and playing Tetris with the contents ...
I'm having the same issue with my kit which is similar to Murph's. lol I just have to keep telling myself that it's not the end all be all of kits..

estoteparati

Post by estoteparati » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm

nice kit....

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 am

carrion wrote:Murph, good on you, I would add a metal SS cup like a sierra cup. You could hang it on the outside, good to dip a drink of water, boil water, heat a meal....etc....
Yeah, I considered that for a while, there's some comments earlier in the thread about it. But in the end, I already have a way to purify water, and I don't have anything in the kit that would require heating to eat. So decided against it.
Boondock wrote:
Well to be honest, it kind of is a BOB to me.

I designed my PSK around the bare minimums I'd need for a couple days. Would those couple days totally suck? Yeah, without a doubt. But the one of the ideas behind it was if I really needed to get somewhere quickly on foot I'd rather have a 5 lb bag, than a 35 lb bag. The other idea was something that could cover my bases if I was out on a day hike, got injured or lost, and had to stay in place for rescue. I wouldn't want leave that up to chance with whatever I had in my pockets that day, but in a case like that, a full blown pack would be overkill.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Murph wrote:I designed my PSK around the bare minimums I'd need for a couple days. Would those couple days totally suck? Yeah, without a doubt. But the one of the ideas behind it was if I really needed to get somewhere quickly on foot I'd rather have a 5 lb bag, than a 35 lb bag.
I'm witch ya. :D

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Long over due, but here's some pictures of the minimalist trauma kit that I put in one of the side pouches:

SWAT-T, Duct-Tape, Military Dressing, QuikClot Combat Gauze

I had to reorganize things a little bit to free up that pocket, and the contents of the rest of the kit changed a little, but things are mostly the same.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Just gotta say I love this little kit, I'm going to get one the SOL bivvy's after seeing it in your kit. Had a look at them and looks like a neat little product.

One thing I'd modify is your newly added trauma gear, it's great but for a kit this size I would swap in a 4inch IZZY and leave the rest to a larger kit.

Also a swap out would be your pouch/straw combo for a Sawyer water filter and pouch. Not 100% but I think the Sawyer is smaller and should free up some space.
Just one other suggestion, how's that little compass go? Personally I like the Silva Field Compass, have a look at them. Definitely larger than what you've got, but not unmanageable.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 am

aus.templar wrote:Also a swap out would be your pouch/straw combo for a Sawyer water filter and pouch. Not 100% but I think the Sawyer is smaller and should free up some space.

Just one other suggestion, how's that little compass go? Personally I like the Silva Field Compass, have a look at them. Definitely larger than what you've got, but not unmanageable.
Hmm.. Are you talking about the Sawyer Squeeze Filter? I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm at a outdoors store.

The compass is a Silva Companion 609. It works for basic direction bearings. I wouldn't try to do any precise landnav with it though, and I doubt I'd ever be in a situation that would require that.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Yeah, you can drink straight from it or squirt it into another container.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 am

I picked up one of these bags, here is what I did with it.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=111080

If I'm hijacking your thread just let me know and I will delete it.

“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am

Murph wrote:Image

So I've been working on First Aid Kit stuff in general and I part of that is revamping this one.

On of the first things I notice with this one is that I don't have any nitrile gloves included. Any other suggestions on items to include that will fit in the small side pocket it is in?

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Murph wrote:

So I've been working on First Aid Kit stuff in general and I part of that is revamping this one.

On of the first things I notice with this one is that I don't have any nitrile gloves included. Any other suggestions on items to include that will fit in the small side pocket it is in?
Having a very similar kit and knowing its dimensions very well (if they're the same or close anyway), those pockets don't fit very much! I'm not sure what your cutting tool situation is, but for that pocket on the exterior I would put a Benchmade Rescue Hook type of thing. It would be nice to have room to put a roll of the self-adhesive tape like the Ace Self-Adhering Bandage.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:31 am

Murph wrote:

Cravat (triangular bandage) many uses, larger than your bandana, so, may not fit...

A few packets of povidone-iodine swabs - can also be used for water treatment.
Small vial of eye drops - the kind that you tear off - if you ever get something in your eye...

The Frontier Pro water filter has a pore size of about 5 microns. The Sawyer mini is smaller and does a better job. Perhaps an upgrade is in order?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Boondock wrote:Careful, that PSK is starting to evolve into a BOB. :D
Dragon80 wrote:I'm having the same issue with my kit which is similar to Murph's. lol I just have to keep telling myself that it's not the end all be all of kits..
I've been transferring a couple items around between this PSK, a day hike pack, and a small hunting kit, depending on what I was doing. But I had a realization last night... At their core, they are all the same thing. And from there I thought, why move core items around, when I should be swapping out the activity items?! Less chance of forgetting something in another bag.

So, next is going to be the fun part... I'm going to dump everything from those kits into a big pile. Pick out the core stuff and put it in a dry sack or two. Then take the activity specific items and put them in their own dry sacks. And then make sure that the core sacks along with the each of the activity sacks all fit in the small day pack I've been using.

Yes, this means I'm done with the current bag, but it taught me some valuable lessons in minimalism.

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 26, 2016 4:44 pm

Murph wrote:I'm going to dump everything ... and put it in a dry sack or two.
Well, that never happened. I bought a non-descript backpack and everything has been living in the single pocket on it. I've kept the main compartment open to put whatever extra I'd like in it. Camelbak, blanket, hammock, jacket, etc. It's been working really well, and I've been using it for both day hikes and hunting. Instead of a dry bag, things are separated into like groups and ziploc bagged.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”