A Diamond (Brand) In the Rough:A Review o/t USMC Combat Tent

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BigSal

A Diamond (Brand) In the Rough:A Review o/t USMC Combat Tent

Post by BigSal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:34 pm

So I had the kids this weekend and decided to take them out to McCroskey State Park for some car camping and R&R. Because I rarely go car-camping I thought it would be a great time to test out my VERY HEAVY (Approx. 9lb!) USMC Diamond Brand Combat Tent.

The Combat tent was originally built by two manufacturers (Eureka and Diamond). Both tents are nearly identical. You can do a search for the Eureka brand and find positive reviews all day long on Google, but as of yet there have been only a handful of reviews on the Diamond Brand. The general consensus is that The Eureka is a better build, indeed the tent fetches about $25-$75 more on eBay. Well, having seen both (and owned one) I am here to tell you that the consensus is wrong. The Diamond Brand has just as much awesomeness as its Eureka-ian brother.
I purchased my Combat Tent on eBay for $99. They can occasionally be had for as low as $75, but thats a rare find. Prices tent to be in the $75-$125 range.
Here is a picture of the tent, poles, fly and repair kit inside its camo-carry case. My case was in used/repaired condition, but the rest of the tent was in used/excellent shape with no repairs or rips so to speak of.

Here are some pics of the stakes and repair kit and their tan carry bags.

Notice the instructions sewn onto the top of the bag. This was so the Marines could figure out the complex dome tent configuration...

Here is are some pictures of the tent sans the FLY system (from several angles)

Here is a picture of the Tent with FLY system (from several angles).

Notice the heavy duty connection straps that connect the fly to the tent.

Check out the vestibule area:

The tent worked well for the car-camp-orama, but its far to heavy to bring on a lightweight hike (at least for me, because I am a weakling). It kept cool and dry despite heavy dew the following morning. The sunset in McCtoskey State Park was unique at capturing the majesty and kickassery of the combat tent.
All in all, considering the military paid $500+ for these, $99 is a steal. It comfortably will hold one adult and two children or two adults with gear in the vestibule area and gear loft (I will update with pictures of the gear loft at a later date).

Jaddra
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Resident Evil" & "Taking Chance"

Re: A Diamond (Brand) In the Rough:A Review o/t USMC Combat Tent

Post by Jaddra » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Excellent review ... I was considering getting one myself, so I spend some time browsing all the comments i could find on the net. I am wondering if your rain fly is the reversible (1 woodland/1 sand) and how do you find the space inside the tent. How are you going to rate the:
a) build 0-10
b) inside 0-10
c) outside 0-10
d) overall 0-10

Thank you again for the detailed review and I like the pictures :)
"Stay Frosty!"

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah for that price it is a steal. It was used?? That would be my only worry in trying to pick one up.
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

BigSal

Re: A Diamond (Brand) In the Rough:A Review o/t USMC Combat

Post by BigSal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks guys for the great comments!

Jaddra:>
a: 9
b: 8 (interior could have been bigger if a wider "X" was used in the framing)
c: 10 (The Fly does reverse to a Tan/Sand color)
d: 9

Nyiangelo:>There are a glut of the diamond and Eureka brand used for sale due to recent government surplus auctions (where they are purchased in lots of 100 or so for around 20-60 each). Mine was used, and its difficult to find new diamond brand units for some reason. The Eureka brand Combat Tents Sell for about $225 in New In Box condition on eBay. This is still a steal considering they were purchased by Uncle Sam for over $500.

My advice, is contact the seller and ask questions before bidding on a used unit. That way you are assured to get an awesome unit.
:arrow:
Last edited by BigSal on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Any idea how it does in high wind? Are there guy line tie-outs?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

BigSal

Post by BigSal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Squirrley wrote:Any idea how it does in high wind? Are there guy line tie-outs?
Yup, the rainfly features high wind guy-out points for staking down the tent. The place we stayed at is relatively windy, being on a high ridgeline.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Awesome. Wanna loan me a hundred bucks or so, and a sherpa? :D :lol:
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm

The only wind that moved our USMC tents was the exhaust from a harrier jet. We were tumbling down the side of a runway, getting hit with all our gear. Good times, good times.

BigSal

Post by BigSal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:19 am

Squirrley wrote:Awesome. Wanna loan me a hundred bucks or so, and a sherpa? :D :lol:
USMCSergeant wrote:The only wind that moved our USMC tents was the exhaust from a harrier jet. We were tumbling down the side of a runway, getting hit with all our gear. Good times, good times.

Its funny you guys brought that up because this Sherpa carries two Harriers in his pack:

Arch

Post by Arch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

BigSal wrote: Image
That ^^^ looks a lot like my INCH Kit :!:
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:26 am

Wow, a tent with a muted/camo cover. Awesome! It's a bit frustrating how many good tents there are out there designed to scream, "LOOK AT MY AWESOME TENT!"

I think I found the guy on ebay you bought your tent from BigSal. Decided to pick one up for my frame pack.

BigSal

Post by BigSal » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:37 pm

EricinMaryland wrote:Wow, a tent with a muted/camo cover. Awesome! It's a bit frustrating how many good tents there are out there designed to scream, "LOOK AT MY AWESOME TENT!"

I think I found the guy on ebay you bought your tent from BigSal. Decided to pick one up for my frame pack.
Nice dude! Post pics when you get it!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”