Liberty45's BOAT

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

liberty45

Liberty45's BOAT

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 pm

After a lot of research and viewing Erik's B.O.A.T. and Murph's BOAT, I have decided to build my own. I would like to thank both of you as well as a few others who posted small survival tins for a wealth of information and the inspiration to build my own. This forum is a treasure trove of information and I thought I would contribute by sharing my own Bug Out Altoids Tin!

Comments and suggestions are welcome! There is still a little room left for something small but I still would like to close it without the use of paracord.

1. One (1) Trojan Non-Lubricated Condom

This can have multiple uses besides as a prophylactic. One of the most common uses is as water storage. It can also be stretched out as an emergency tourniquet. Sterile dressings, food storage and even make fire!

2. Small Container of Vasoline Impregnated Cotton Ball - Wrapped with 12lb SpiderWire Fishing Line

This was my idea as a backup fire starting aid in case it was raining or there was no dry tinder available. The small container can be found easily online. I use it to store small laptop components and thought it would be perfect for my BOAT. I took one cotton ball and a lot of vasoline and worked the vasoline deep inside the cotton ball and around the outside and stuffed it inside this container. Cleaned the rim of the container and closed it up sealing the vasoline soaked cotton ball inside. Cleaned the outside to get rid of any vasoline residue and wrapped the entire bottom portion of the container in 12lb (0.013" Diameter) SpiderWire EZ Mono. Ten to fifteen feet of fishing line to be exact. Duct taped it on there so it wouldn't unravel when putting it into the BOAT.

3. Two (2) Single Edge Razor Blades Duct Taped to top of Altoids Tin

Even though there is already a folding razor blade knife in the kit already it never hurts to have a razor blade or two in case the folding razor blade knife breaks or gets lost. Takes up very little space so I put two up there. The thin pieces of cardboard protection that is around the razor blade can be used as tinder if needed.

4. Two (2) Alcohol Prep Pads

Great for cleaning dirty germ covered hands before eating. Can be used for cleaning wounds before they get infected, although not recommended as it will cause tissue damage! But in the even there is nothing else (such as no more #5's left) this would be the next best thing to use.

5. Two (2) Iodine Prep Pads

Excellent for disinfection of a minor wound that could possibly get infected in a disaster. Also can be used to clean an area before removing a splinter, debris, etc.

6. Folding Mini Razor Blade Knife

Instead of getting a CRKT or GERBER I decided to get this low cost folding mini razor blade knife. If the blade breaks on one side I can flip it and use the other side. Very compact and cuts like a dream. All of the duct tape and fishing line in this kit was cut with this "knife".

Purchased at Harbor Freight for under $3.00.

7. BIC Mini Survival Lighter

In essence it is a BIC Mini wrapped in duct tape (approx. 10ft or so) and within the final layer is:

one (1) large sewing needle
two (2) small fish hooks
three (3) small safety pins

The sewing needle can be used to obviously sew holes or fix clothing using the fishing string or can be used to get splinters out.

The fishing hooks are to be used for fishing with the fishing string and lead sinkers.

The three small safety pins can be used for putting clothing back together, getting splinters out as well as making an improvised three prong fishing hook.

8. Number 2 Pencil

I chose to put a pencil in here instead of a Sharpie or a pen because it will not freeze in the winter if I leave the kit in my car. I have had pens that did not work in the winter and a frozen Sharpie once; both are not fun if you need to write something down.

Pencil can be sharpened by either the razor blades or the folding razor blade knife. Left the eraser on there just in case I need to erase something I wrote if paper is limited.

Although pictures do not show it -- I did sharpened the pencil before putting it in the tin.

9. Three (3) Lead Sinkers

For use with the fishing line and hooks/safety pins. Any other uses? Not sure at this point. Small and compact so they go in!

10. P-38 Can Opener

Small compact and easy to use. I keep a few cans of food at the office so if I need to open them up I will have a can opener. Also in the event of getting home or bugging out and I ONLY have this tin I can open can's I find while to my house or BOL. I really would not want to rely on this tin for bugging out!

11. Mini Razor Blade for Folding Razor Knife

A back up to the razor blade already in the Folding Razor Blade Knife.

12. Two (2) 1" x 1" Mole Skin Patches

Great for those pain in the heel blisters you may get on your feet when bugging out or getting home. Also can be used as a backup bandaid. Never can have enough mole skin!

13. Two (2) Katadyn MP-1 Micropur Tablets

Easy to use tablets to clean infected water. Finding water bottles along my route wont be hard but finding clean water might be. Using these tablets I can clean water so I can make it home without dehydrating. Very small and compact, the only downside is the time it takes for the water to be purified.

14. FireSteel Pup - 2.5" x 3/16"

This is a great firesteel for any survival tin! Fits perfectly, takes up very little room and can be used for numerous strikes and fires! I purchased 5 of them because they are cheap and very useful!

More information on the FireSteel Pup

15. Non-Latex Waterproof Bandaid

Good for the little boo boo's OR if you are not careful with the two razor blades or the folding razor blade knife. Very thin and fits perfectly in the kit.

More Pictures

Updated: 05-08-2010
Last edited by liberty45 on Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Liberty45's BOAT

Post by Rednex » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Only thing i come up with is the razor blade's taped to the tin cant be used in the knife. Maybe tape a few of the little knife blades in there too.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Rednex wrote:Only thing i come up with is the razor blade's taped to the tin cant be used in the knife. Maybe tape a few of the little knife blades in there too.
The razor blades can be used as a small cutting device but really not a knife. Maybe cardboard, paper, cloth, etc. But no major cutting (ie. wood, branches, etc.)

I was thinking about removing one of the razor blades and putting one or two of the small folding razor knife blades up there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Nice I liked how to used that dish for the cotton ball and the fishing line. I have two of them I got in a multi-pack of things and I had no idea what to use them for.

Nice work!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Murph wrote:Nice I liked how to used that dish for the cotton ball and the fishing line. I have two of them I got in a multi-pack of things and I had no idea what to use them for.

Nice work!
Thanks! I order DC Jack's from a company for laptop repair and they always send them in these little containers. I have a ton of them so I decided to use it for something since it fits in the tin.

Glad you like it!

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Yall just gave me an idea with the little container's.

They also look a lot like the little things some ear plug's come in like these.

Linky http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200259074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Kip

Post by Kip » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Why not keep the pencil sharp? it will save wear and tear on your razors. THANK YOU for giving me one of those "why didn't i think of that?" moments with hiding some fish hooks and sewing needles inside a duct tape wrap. I know what i'll be doing with some of those extra hooks i have around the house now. :D

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Rednex wrote:Yall just gave me an idea with the little container's.

They also look a lot like the little things some ear plug's come in like these.

Linky http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200259074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're very welcome Rednex. The company that made the small container in my BOAT is Lacons. Their containers range in size and have a lot of various uses.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm

Kip wrote:Why not keep the pencil sharp? it will save wear and tear on your razors.
I was afraid the tip would break in the container that is why I did not pre-sharpen it.
Kip wrote:THANK YOU for giving me one of those "why didn't i think of that?" moments with hiding some fish hooks and sewing needles inside a duct tape wrap. I know what i'll be doing with some of those extra hooks i have around the house now. :D
You're welcome. The idea was not mine originally. MosinMe deserves the credit but I am glad you can use it.

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Nice job--and excellent pix!

Did the moleskin come in the two separate pieces? I would suggest (if possible) packing the one long piece that can be cut as needed (or used on a large cut/blister).

Consider replacing (or add) at least one of your small safety pins with the largest size safety pin.

Why wait until you need to write (and don't have an easy-to-use sharpener) to sharpen your pencil?

A non-alcohol wound-cleaning pad would be less destructive to damaged tissue.

I look forward to watching the evolution of your BOAT.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 pm

If you sharpen the pencile you can use a pen cap to protect it ?

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 pm

prepper7 wrote:Nice job--and excellent pix!
Thank you.
prepper7 wrote:Did the moleskin come in the two separate pieces? I would suggest (if possible) packing the one long piece that can be cut as needed (or used on a large cut/blister).
I could add a larger piece, but most of my blisters are under 1" x 1". Longer one would be a good addition though.
prepper7 wrote:Consider replacing (or add) at least one of your small safety pins with the largest size safety pin.
What would be the added benefit of a larger safety pin?
prepper7 wrote:Why wait until you need to write (and don't have an easy-to-use sharpener) to sharpen your pencil?
Good point, pencil to be sharpened!
prepper7 wrote:A non-alcohol wound-cleaning pad would be less destructive to damaged tissue.
Very true. Although alcohol pads are very effective and not only just for cleaning wounds. They can be used to clean hands or the face to decontaminate.
prepper7 wrote:I look forward to watching the evolution of your BOAT.
I look forward to evolving my BOAT. Thanks for your suggestions!

2now

Post by 2now » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:41 am

Alcohol pads also light very easily and burn well.

What about cotton balls full of neosporin, do those light as easily?
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

zephyrkyuubi
Favorite Zombie Movies: um all of them, except house of the dead 2.I love ROTLD, DOTD, RE, 28 days later, shaun of the dead, evil dead, army of darkness. How could I forget Planet Terror

Post by zephyrkyuubi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 am

Rednex wrote:If you sharpen the pencile you can use a pen cap to protect it ?

Or if you have some small plastic tubing(the clear stuff for fish tank bubblers), you could cut a small piece and put it over the sharpened end.

Edit- Awesome BOAT, btw. :)
“Good government is no substitute for self-government”~ Mahatma Ghandi

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:33 am

:D looks great :D
i'm now inspired to get motivevated to build my own.

i've have started a few times, but got distracted every time and never finished
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:47 am

liberty45 wrote:
prepper7 wrote:Consider replacing (or add) at least one of your small safety pins with the largest size safety pin.
They are much longer and will bridge larger gaps; you will be able to "sew" more fabric together (clothing and gear repair, splinting, bandaging). They are stronger and won't bend or break easilyunder heavy load/use (pinning a sleeve to the shirt as an improvised sling, using it as a biner...).
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:08 am

2now wrote:Alcohol pads also light very easily and burn well.

What about cotton balls full of neosporin, do those light as easily?
Yes alcohol pads burn very well. Also another reason I put them in there! =)

Not sure about Neosporin but I can give it a try. I forget if there is an adequate amount of petroleum jelly in there or not.
zephyrkyuubi wrote:
Rednex wrote:If you sharpen the pencile you can use a pen cap to protect it ?
Or if you have some small plastic tubing(the clear stuff for fish tank bubblers), you could cut a small piece and put it over the sharpened end.

Edit- Awesome BOAT, btw. :)
Thanks for the tip on protecting the pencil tip! I will have to give that a try.

Glad you like the BOAT!
mega-hertz wrote::D looks great :D
i'm now inspired to get motivevated to build my own.

i've have started a few times, but got distracted every time and never finished
I am glad I could motivate you! PM with your link once you get it posted, look forward to see it!
prepper7 wrote:
liberty45 wrote:
They are much longer and will bridge larger gaps; you will be able to "sew" more fabric together (clothing and gear repair, splinting, bandaging). They are stronger and won't bend or break easilyunder heavy load/use (pinning a sleeve to the shirt as an improvised sling, using it as a biner...).
Good point. I can always add a larger safety pin without putting it under the lighter. There is plenty of room in my BOAT for small items like another safety pin.

Thanks again prepper7.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:37 am

Nice BOAT.
My first thought on seeing the pencil was "sharpen it in advance," but then I figured you had left it unsharpened for a reason - as a good way to ensure a little emergency pile of tinder shavings when TSHTF and you needed to sharpen it. (Fake-edit: I now understand it's about the tip getting broken.)

Anyway, it got me thinking, so I just now went out, sharpened a normal yellow #2 pencil with a razor blade and fooled around (not trying THAT hard) with the pile of shavings. The shavings looked like good, thin tinder and formed a nice stack, where there would be plenty of oxygen.
I could not light them with my flint and steel. I added a few threads from a Vaseline/cotton tinder ball, and that started up right away with the flint, but the shavings didn't catch all that well. A few shavings caught, but they didn't light each other. I then torched the pile of shavings with a lighter. Again, the ones directly exposed to the flame caught, but the pile did not get going.
So, my tinder idea for the pencil wasn't so hot - maybe the wood gets some kind of treatment when the pencil is being made that changes the equation. Perhaps there are some fancy "organic" Gucci pencils out there that would do better!

I admire the minimalism in your BOAT, and the self-discipline that goes along with it. There's all sorts of things I'd want to recommend including, but I'm one of those who has to stand on his tin and weld it shut, to get it to close.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:36 pm

prepper7 wrote: A non-alcohol wound-cleaning pad would be less destructive to damaged tissue.
Yeah, but battle scars are cool. :wink:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:13 pm

The problem I see here is...

You have 3 separate ways to cut things, and no one of them is really advantageous over the other.

You have water purification tablets, but nothing to put water in. So why do you have them?

How are you going to navigate?
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Just was looking at another post about candles ,and thought maybe put one in a boat? They are the spent ammo caseing candles NFA made heres linky
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 39&t=46919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also i might look into a Photon micro light ( tiny keychain flashlight )

I do see if i include the candle and flashlight and a condom its turning into a bigger boat might need help closing it?

72commando

Post by 72commando » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Throw a non-lubricated condom in there....for....uh.....water transportation!

*ahem* :D

"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." - Elon Musk

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 pm

BobtheBreaker wrote: You have water purification tablets, but nothing to put water in. So why do you have them?
You have to think outside the Tin, Bob. How often do you see trash laying around... Plastic bottles, coffee can, soda can, etc. While not exactly ideal, it sure beats going thristy.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Murph wrote:
BobtheBreaker wrote: You have water purification tablets, but nothing to put water in. So why do you have them?
You have to think outside the Tin, Bob. How often do you see trash laying around... Plastic bottles, coffee can, soda can, etc. While not exactly ideal, it sure beats going thristy.
Not often enough to avoid having to go thirsty...
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Return to “Bug Out Gear”