Wiggy's Sleeping Bag and FTRSS Review (Pic Heavy) (Updated)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Wiggy's Sleeping Bag and FTRSS Review (Pic Heavy) (Updated)

Post by thelight » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Updates at the bottom of this post.
Overview:
Wiggy's makes a line of top notch synthetic sleeping bags right here in the good old US of A. They carry a lifetime warranty, keep their warranty even after machine washing, and don't appear to loose their loft when compressed. All bags come with a compression sack and Lamilite pillow. A particularly nice feature is that you can combine two bags into the Flexible Temperature Range Sleep System, or FTRSS.

Wiggy's uses an insulation called Lamilite. Lamilite is their proprietary blend of "a 5.5 denier continuous filament fiber which has been coated with a silicone finish". It has been reported by many users to provide considerable warmth when wet, however it is heavier than some other synthetics available and doesn't compress as well.

Overbag:
The Overbag is a +35 degrees F rated mummy style bag. It is available in four sizes; 33 inches wide in the torso and 82 inches long (regular regular) (weight 2 lbs.), 36 inches wide and 82 inches long (regular wide body) (weight 2 lbs.), 33 inches wide and 92 inches long (long regular) (weight 2 lbs.), and 36 inches wide and 92 inches long (long wide body) (weight 3 lbs.). Please note the larger size for the Overbag, so it will fit comfortably over any of the other bags when the FTRSS is created. Also note that a larger roomier bag is necessary for warm weather use.
Price is $190 (Additional 20% discount as of 2/2/09)
Available in Black, Purple, Olive Drab, and Blue. Mine is Black.

Super Light:
The Super Light is a 0 degree F rated mummy style bag. It is available in four sizes; 31 inches wide in the torso and 80 inches long (regular regular) (weight is 4 lbs.), 34 inches wide and 80 inches long (regular wide body) (weight is 4 lbs.), 31 inches wide and 90 inches long (long regular) (weight 4 lbs.), and 34 inches wide and 90 inches long (long wide body) (weight 5 lbs.).

When the Overbag is added to the Super Light the temperature rating becomes -40 degrees F. When both bags are combined you have the Super Light FTRSS.

The Super Lt. has proven to be our most popular bag, both with the Armed Forces and Civilian markets.
Price is $218.00 (Additional 20% discount as of 2/2/09)
Available in Purple, Black, and Olive Drab. Mine is Olive Drab

Photos:

My core bag, a Wiggy's Super Light. Laid out in all its wrinkled glory.

Wiggy's. Made in the USA.

Overbag, over the core bag.

The two bags nested, but not attached.

Showing the Overbag's draft tube.

Starting the zippering process. You can see how beefy the zippers are here.

The two bags are now joined and I'm trying to give a semblance of scale. That's a LMF Spork in my hand.

FTRSS Laid out. It's Beefy.

That's me holding up the bag. I'm 6'6" tall, 250 lbs, and about 2' broad at the shoulders. The door behind me is a standard height door. I was trying to hold the bag off the floor and failing. These bags in Large/Wide are Huge!

FTRSS all Packed up into one compression sack. No, it's not very tiny.

Comments on the system:
What can I say? I like the system so far and recommend it to anyone who needs a single good bag or a great sleep system. Packing the FTRSS can be challenging as it's actually two sleeping bags, but if you're going cold weather camping this is a lifesaver. I've used the Overbag extensively during this past summer. It works as both a blanket and a sleeping bag with only one real downside: The extra zippers inside can get annoying. I've only had a chance to test the Super Light a few times and never down to 0. It is a very comfortable bag and definitely kept me extra toasty down to 20 which is the coldest I've gone out with it.
I'm going to test the FTRSS during the NNY09WCT this year in the Adirondacks. Last year I used a cheap zero bag inside another zero bag and still needed a blanket.

Test Results: (added Feb 27, 2009)
It didn't get nearly as cold on this years winter trip, only around 0. I wish I had thought to take the FTRSS apart and just use the 0 bag for the trip. Ah well, maybe later this month... Here are my observations:
  • The Wiggy's FTRSS did not cut it by itself in a Hennessey Hammock. The insulation got severely compacted underneath me and my backside started to get cold after 10 minutes. This was what I expected to happen, but it was worth doing and knowing. In order to use this setup to bug out, you'll need the Hennessey winter kit to add more insulation under you.
  • Night one was spent on a bed made of two wool blankets and a Z-lite from Thermarest. I was completely comfortable temperature wise with no cold spots. In fact, I was overheating a bit.
  • Night two was spent on an Exped DownMat... I had the best night sleep of my camping career that night. The FTRSS was nice and toasty (again almost too warm) and the DownMat provided incredible comfort and insulation. Many thanks to WoodsWalker for suggesting this thing. It's amazing.
My one complaint on the system is how the hood draws closed. It takes a bit of messing around to get the hoods to draw closed properly and sometimes the overbag's hood gets lost. Not a big deal once you get the hang of it, though. Always keep the overbag's hood slightly drawn. Once you're in for the night, pull the inner bag drawstring first, then finish closing the overbag up.

Finally, there's one feature I forgot to mention on all Wiggy's bags. If you need to get out of the bag in a hurry, just give the zipper a yank upwards. It unlocks the zipper and you can get out of your bag in less than two seconds. Takes a bit of practice but it works very well.
Last edited by thelight on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Re: Wiggy's Sleeping Bag and FTRSS Review (Pic Heavy)

Post by aa1pr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Very nice system. I am only 5'11 and 225 but I also find that most commercial bags are just too snug in the shoulder area. I will look into this bag maybe next month but defintely before summer approaches.

Asininity

Post by Asininity » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:08 pm

That is one very nice bag! I'm interested. That little thing puts some of my sleeping bags to shame [and I have eight sleeping bags?]

Thank you very much good sir for the review.
Never Point A Gun At Something You're Not Prepared To Destroy! - IDPA

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 pm

outoforder2day wrote:FTRSS all Packed up into one compression sack. No, it's not very tiny.
One thing I've learned about modular sleep systems: they are NOT small, I don't care who's you buy. However, they do offer tha advantage of being prepared no matter the temperature. A modular system is the way to go for an INCH. Wiggy's seems to be the way to go when you have the $$.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:15 pm

How small does the Super Light by itself pack down ?
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

kapple

Post by kapple » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Note for people in/around/traveling through western Colorado - the Wiggy's factory is in Grand Junction, CO, and picking up directly at the factory is about half list price.

I have several Wiggy's bags, and they are pretty good stuff. Built like a tank, heavy duty and heavy to carry. Very warm, and they stay warm when they're wet.

If you do pick up at the factory, be prepared to meet Jerry Wiguto(sp?), Wiggy himself - and depending on his mood/meds that day, you will either be his best friend, and he'll knock another 10% off the price, or you will be a worthless worm who doesn't deserve to own his products. But the ladies running the front office keep him fairly well insulated from the public when he's in that mood.

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Great review. I have a wiggys bag. I used on this trip http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=40339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I only used the 0 degree bag with a bivy bag. I actually called wiggys and they told me unless it was snow/raining hard not to use the bivy bag. The only reason I used the bivy was because we slept on pine boughs and not mats and I did not want to get pitch on the bag. It was 25 out and we were in a shelter, I was more than warm. Some people don't like the fact it won't compress into a nalgene bottle and doesn't weigh 2 lbs. But I love the system.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 am

kapple wrote:Note for people in/around/traveling through western Colorado - the Wiggy's factory is in Grand Junction, CO, and picking up directly at the factory is about half list price.
Oh really. Next time I need a sleeping bag, I'm guessing a trip over the hill might be needed :P
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 pm

For the record I think you are clinical for wanting to try this out, but if t works, I'll take credit and say it was all my idea. :twisted: Are you gonna bury it with snow as part of the experiment?

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Nice review.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Nice review.
Thanks WW.

I've updated the original post with the results of the winter trip. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post here or drop me a PM.
-D
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Re: Wiggy's Sleeping Bag and FTRSS Review (Pic Heavy) (Updated)

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Well done!

Your right, it doesn't matter what super duper bag you use in a hammock. Once the insulation underneath is compressed it's all over. I have had much success by placing one of my pads in the hammock under my bag. I'm a warm sleeper and this set up gets me well into Dec-Jan round here.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”