My BOB Post, Pic Heavy! (UPDATED 29MAR20)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Was This post useful to you? Did you Learn something new?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 476

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: My Loooong Azzzzzz BOB Post!

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Great to see this thread open.

What is the deal with:
Solio, Solar Panel, TAD Gear Edition, iPOD/Cell Phone Adapters, Black. (Holds Charge Also.)
Like the way it spreads out and hangs on the pack. Can it do other things beyond the cell phone? Also can any of your solar recharging systems recharge those AAA/AA batteries in the field? If they do have you considered Low Self Discharge Pre-charged batteries?
Last edited by Woods Walker on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Well hot damn Mags. That's quite a supply depot you got there. Probably feels good to know that you have the option to load up and head out according to your needs, no matter what the scenario (outside of some asshole dividing by zero, but no one can prepare for that.) The tent is a little overboard for me, but your needs are much different from my own (desert dweller here.) Been wanting to pickup a Kifaru Zulu, plus add-on kit, for awhile now; but no one wanted to buy my CZ this past weekend. So I'm stuck for now.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Molon Labe

Kifaru updated their whole pack line this week so I think the Zulu and Pointman have longer stays now for more comfort. New lumbar pad too.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Molon Labe

Kifaru updated there whole pack line this week so I think the Zulu and Pointman have longer stays now for more comfort. New lumbar pad too.
Oh really now? 8)
BRB
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I've been thinking about one of those solio chargers since the first time I saw one...

J
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Solio has a new model out called the Magnesium edition. It's supposed to have a better cell in it and a more rugged case. It uses interchangeable tips made by iGo and last time I checked the tips are available from Radio Shack. There's pretty much a tip for any electronic device out there. I've had one for almost a year and I've used it to charge my iPod, PSP, and my Palm Pilot. I haven't tried it on my iPhone yet though. I got it primarily to use in my BOB and while travelling. I haven't properly tested it's solar charging abilities yet, however. School and work have kept me indoors way too much and it just hasn't been necessary.

The Solio can be charged by any home electrical outlet and comes with a variety of tips for different outlets worldwide. The coolest thing to me is that it will hold it's charge for about a year. I recently purchased an Energizer battery charger that works through a USB connection. Hopefully this will allow me to charge my AA and AAA batteris via the Solio. My goal is to keep any device that requires batteries in my Bob or EDC supplied by rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. This unfortunately knocks the CR123 batteries out of the lineup but I have a Nitecore light that is awesome and runs on AA's.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Hanuman110

Is that the single AA Nitecore with piston switch? If so how do you like it? I am still on the fence with them.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Re: My Long But Worth Reading BOB Post/List!

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 am

WW, Hanuman covered it pretty well. I have different plug in tips that power my various devices. I like that it is not only a solar charger but that it has an internal battery that will hold a full charge for a long time. I don't have the magnesium model. Mine was bought before that was avail. I have the flat black TAD gear edition.

As I said it'll fully charge my cell twice before I need to recharge the Solio. I store/pack mine in an Otter Box, 8000 TAD Edition. "Crush Proof," waterproof and big enough to hold the charger, cig adapter, cable, and several different tips. I rigged some tan shock cord and two tan cord locks through my Solio's pivot hole, along with tan Grimlocks on my Kifaru Packs. That way I can securely open and hang the Solio on my pack haveing it stable enough to charge while I move out. Secret is that it opens up to 3 panels. Two of them are thin solar panels only. The bottom panel is thicker and way heavier since it holds the internal battery as well. Open and mount the Solio so that the heavy battery compartment panel is hanging down. Tighten up the cord locks and your ready to rock on while the Solio charges itself!

Solio leaning on black Otter Case. Cables lying in front.

Another shot of the Otter Box, 8000 series case. TAD Edition is flat black.

Examples of international outlet adapters and a tip or two.

Left to right; 2 thin solar panels only, and third is the heavy panel with battery compartment.

Solar panel hanging at the bottom is the heavy one with batt compartment. It'll stay oriented this way while on the move. Tighten the cord lock closest to the solio up against it. Then tighten the other cord lock so that there is no play in the shock cord. This leaves no wiggle room for the Solio and keeps it flat and secure, charging while on the move.

Don't see why it would/could not recharge batteries. Just need the right "tip" adapter.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:58 am

Could I get a little more info on your sleeping bags . I have looked at the Softie bags and the Wiggy's bags , but have yet to decide . A bit more info on your preferences would be great .

I use a Zulu , so interior space is at a premium , I am typically more concerned with how small things pack down than weight . ( though weight is always a concern of course)
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice pics of the Solio Mags. I just missed getting the TAD edition and had to not-so-patiently wait for them to get the Magnesium edition. I'm about to order their new Recon pouch to keep it in, but that Otterbox is sweet.
Woods Walker wrote:Hanuman110

Is that the single AA Nitecore with piston switch? If so how do you like it? I am still on the fence with them.
WW, I"m not familiar with the term piston switch, but it has the tail cap switch with multiple settings(low power, full power, strobe, SOS). It is the single AA model but I bought the second battery extension tube for it. I bought it from TAD while they carried them and misplaced it in my then gf's car. After franticly searching for the missing light, I ordered another one from TAD and sure enough my gf cam bouncing through my department at the hospital we work at a few days later and said she found it the day before. lol I use it almost nightly while walking my dog. I haven't tried it with rechargeable batteries yet, but the Energizer lithiums work well in it.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Hanuman110 wrote:Nice pics of the Solio Mags. I just missed getting the TAD edition and had to not-so-patiently wait for them to get the Magnesium edition. I'm about to order their new Recon pouch to keep it in, but that Otterbox is sweet.
Woods Walker wrote:Hanuman110

WW, I"m not familiar with the term piston switch, but it has the tail cap switch with multiple settings(low power, full power, strobe, SOS). It is the single AA model but I bought the second battery extension tube for it. I bought it from TAD while they carried them and misplaced it in my then gf's car. After franticly searching for the missing light, I ordered another one from TAD and sure enough my gf cam bouncing through my department at the hospital we work at a few days later and said she found it the day before. lol I use it almost nightly while walking my dog. I haven't tried it with rechargeable batteries yet, but the Energizer lithiums work well in it.
I was thinking you might have the Nitecore D10. I am thinking about the R2 LED one.

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 3 lumen low is what has my interest just like my H50 2.6 lumen low. Runs forever and I can get by in camp with just a little light.

As for solar power I use my foldup charger:

Here are the LSD NiMH batteries:

They come pre charged and will hold that charge for over a year. Also can be recharged 1000 times. None of the downsides of NiMH batteries will all of the upside aka longer runtimes under heavy loads like high output flashlights/headlamps and GPS and will not leak. These are the batteries I mostly use but agree that lithiums are the best thing going. I keep a good stock of them on hand and pack some in my BOB and camping gear too. The fold up charger is 2.8 oz and can recharge my phone using the 2xAA Energize cell phone recharger. This is what I mostly use in the field. The cell phone and sometimes for fun the GPS however like my compass more. Old school......

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Could I get a little more info on your sleeping bags . I have looked at the Softie bags and the Wiggy's bags , but have yet to decide . A bit more info on your preferences would be great .

I use a Zulu , so interior space is at a premium , I am typically more concerned with how small things pack down than weight . ( though weight is always a concern of course)
Wiggy gear packs down like an angry black bear so if space is limited consider something else or maybe get a POD for the bottom.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 am

Mk Ultra, I used my tan Merlin on deployment unzipped as a blanket. While the fabric was very luxurious to the touch I wish I'd still had my Wiggy's Desert Bag. The Wiggy's was warmer, more rectangular in shape vs mummy and unzipped into a square shaped "comforter." Several years ago while in the field during summer I got too cold in my Hennessy with just my OD Merlin. A buddy gave me the Patrol Bag, (green one), from his MSS. It saved the night being warmer and I slept like a baby. The Merlins feel great, are light and pack small but I don't recommend them for your BOB. They are better than nothing but unless you get a super deal............ no, not even a great deal. I got the Snugpak OD fleece liner for my Merlins to help with the lousy temp rating. The liner really added wieght and bulk. The liner didn't have a zipper either! Nothing better than unzipping your bag, peeling it back and instead of rolling in you have to do the "mud skipper" (WW's coined phrase) crawl just to get in. You already know how well other fabrics slide against sueded fleece! Aghh!

Tan Merlin with OD sueded fleece liner;

The Wiggy's FTRSS Overbag is IMHO far superior to the Merlins! If you NEED a cold weather bag and pack space is at a premium I agree with WW, get yourself a Kifaru POD. It'll open up a lot of space inside your pack, for more cold weather gear, fuel, food, and clothing. The POD becomes an integral extension of your pack. You will not look like a hobo with shit hanging off all over your pack, or that you made the wrong pack decision or, even worse, like Linus dragging your woobie behind you down the trail. (Not that you ever would!) You won't get the dreaded "hamstring slap" or "bum bump" as you move out with the bag bouncing off the back of your legs either.

I really like both the Mil Issue MSS and the Wiggy's FTRSS "systems" (Wiggy's way superior to the MSS! IMHO best there is currently.) for people getting into this stuff or that are ready to try winter camping. They are good solid systems, both are synthetic, fool proof, and both systems give you options for year round use. Lotta bang for the buck. CON, niether of the pack down small......but they're both a lot of bag.

If this wasn't what you needed lemme know.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:55 am

Mags , that was quite helpful . Thanks :D

I have been considering the MSS , so I will give it a closer look due to your recommendation .

Of course , I want it all , small , lightweight and warm , but , usually I am willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for pack space and weight . A modular system is probably the way to go .

I will have to look at the POD . I pretty much refuse to hang things from the bottom of my pack because of the "butt-slap" , but if the POD eliminates that issue , it may be the trick . :D

Mags

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:12 pm

MK, the black intermediate bag is like a sausage casing although manageable, but the green patrol bag (overbag) that you'll prolly use more year round is nice and big. Plenty o' room for side sleeping or pulling a leg up. When I got my Wiggy's Ultima Thule FTRSS I got the wide version. I likes mo' room in the winter. I do not think the MSS is available in any "sizes." Mil equipment, one size fits all to the 90%.

I may have a BRAND NEW 3 piece system I could let go of............................I'll check that MSS review thread to see what prices people are getting and let you know. :D

And it's hamstring-slap or bum-bump not butt slap! I don't care what you do at home! :o :wink: :lol: :D

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:25 pm

I just wanted to chime in with some love for the Kifaru Pods...I don't have a kifaru pack, but I bought a set of the pods, and love them...they work incredibly well with all of my packs, and let you work a modular system of packing/camping/BOBing incredibly easily...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Mags wrote:I may have a BRAND NEW 3 piece system I could let go of............................I'll check that MSS review thread to see what prices people are getting and let you know. :D
Awesome , send me a PM :D

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:23 pm

nfa wrote:I've been thinking about one of those solio chargers since right before I saw the price...
fixed (for me)
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

Mags

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 am

Over 1,200 looks only 29 votes, hmmmm...................(This part quoted below was meant to be a joke. I saw a lot of looks but not many votes. It'll help me figure out what people here want in threads and posts. Apparently a lot less rambling. Always looking to improve.......)
Last edited by Mags on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 am

Mags wrote:Over 1,200 looks only 29 votes, hmmmm...................Was going to ask about stickying this thread since feedback has been great but only 29 votes?
Skim reading a thread by clicking on it and then not voting, maybe they didn't feel they were properly qualified to vote having not read it properly or w.e. Don't be disheartened!

And sticky this? Things don't get stickied often around here. Sorry mate but I can't say I've found it that useful... I mean its interesting and quite enjoyable but it isn't a how to or anything like Gunny's Building your BOB. Its a list of stuff you own with some pretty cool pictures. I've struggled to take much away from this..what I have (but already know) is.
Kifaru once again is touted as being very good gear.
Trying stuff out for yourself is the best way of learning.

I think the solar energy stuff is great though, thanks for showing that off :)

Don't get me wrong man I enjoyed the post and the cool pics of your setups I just don't think this is sticky materia,l though you no doubt have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share with the rest of us!
Thanks
Man is a beast of prey

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:09 am

What an amazing post! I got a ton of info and ideas from it.

Thanks!
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

Mags

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Mk Ultra, PM inbound......

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 am

Love those Combat Tents, Mine's woodland.
Using the lightweight pitching option without the tent body is a slick setup.
The blackout rain-fly is pure stealth.

Great read/post.
END THE FED

Mags

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Added pictures of most of the clothing items listed, I think. The Patagonia DAS Parka and Micro Puff Pants are like wearing a light Polarguard 3D sleeping bag! Warm and cozy while not being so thick that you can't move like Ralphie's lil' brother, Randy in "A Christmas Story."

WW, I really like that fold-up solar panel! Do you have to be careful packing it? I mean to guard against breakage. I will be looking into the rechargables to replace my current batteries. I like the idea of swapping them out of the devices. Charged set goes in, depleted set charges via solar charger. Reminds me of long exercises with only two uniforms. Wearing my "dry" one while the wet ones "dry" on my ruck. I'd have power until either the batteries or my panel wouldn't take a charge. I'm sure that would be a while. Right?

I try and keep all of my electronic items limited to CR123, AAA, AA. Easier on the wallet when picking them up at Sam's. I really like that my Solio holds an internal charge that'll juice up my cell twice from dead before it needs any sun at all. Although for those rechargeable AA's this Silva like yours is badazz!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”