Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm 

TDW586 wrote:
sotik wrote:
My problem with this whole, "Adding more weight is asking for trouble." Theory going around is that I am 190 pounds, I once weighed 300+ pounds. I use to carry, everyday an extra 100+ pounds of fat on my body everyday. Why would it be silly to assume I could put on a pack weighing 80lbs and hoof it through the woods? I mean I use to hoof around 100 plus pounds of fat. There are people who weigh 400+ pounds, I think if they were to drop their weight down to high 100's low 200's that a 80lb pack would be nothing to them.

I mean correct me if I am wrong, and I know that body fat is being evenly distributed around the body, but 100 pounds is 100 pounds fat or bug out bag I fail to see how it could be any more worse then a 100lbs of fat.

Does "100 pounds of fat" sound like a good thing to you? Not saying you "can't", saying you shouldn't if you don't have to.

No I will agree that being 100 pounds over weight isn't good for you. It is unhealthy and will cause problems later on down the road. Fact when I lost that weight I felt so much better then before. However I was able to hike for hours on end through the woods weighing 300+ pounds, a 80lb pack back isn't going to/shouldn't slow me down that much, and with practice other people should be able to do it too.

I will admit though, I do have bad knees, whether it be from the fact I am tall with long ass legs (that's my brothers problem we are the same height he has never been as big as I was and he has bad knees) or the fact I carried all that weight around so long.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm 

ODA 226 wrote:
TAB wrote:
I'm not saying you didn't, but I can't imagine RUNNING with 60 lbs on my back. I've carried that much comfortably at a nice slowish walk, but...running?

Trust me...Been there, done that...averaged 10 minute miles with 60 pounds+ LBE and weapon. Anyone who has served in an Active Duty SF Group has done this too.

I'm 6', 215 lbs, and mostly muscle. I thought I was tough but you are making me think I'm a wimp. But then again, I've never been military, AND my definition of running means that I am outdistancing whatever is trying to catch up with me.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:14 pm 

There must be tons of knee injuries in the SF. I have a friend in the Marine SF and he is no more than 150 pounds. He is a pretty serious runner, but how he could carry 60 pounds for 12 miles at 10min/mile is beyond me. I think his normal pace is 6:30 for 10 miles, but 60 pounds is a significant proportion of his body weight. I will say that, my limited experience, running with 50 pounds is significantly different from running with 80 pounds. At 80 pounds I kind of shuffle when I try to hustle, and it ain't for no 12 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

roscoe wrote:
There must be tons of knee injuries in the SF.

Yes there are many knee injuries. And ankle injuries and back injuries. I've been lucky enough to have all of the former AND had to have my shoulder rebuilt last year.

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

TAB wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
TAB wrote:
I'm not saying you didn't, but I can't imagine RUNNING with 60 lbs on my back. I've carried that much comfortably at a nice slowish walk, but...running?

Trust me...Been there, done that...averaged 10 minute miles with 60 pounds+ LBE and weapon. Anyone who has served in an Active Duty SF Group has done this too.

I'm 6', 215 lbs, and mostly muscle. I thought I was tough but you are making me think I'm a wimp. But then again, I've never been military, AND my definition of running means that I am outdistancing whatever is trying to catch up with me.
:lol:

The only person you need to best is yourself. The simple fact is the heavier the pack the more work required to move it and the greater the chance of injury. It doesn't matter the level of fitness or military pedigree of others. All that matters is what works for you.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:50 pm 

Not as intense as what the SF guys do, but this is a good motivator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_Infantryman_Badge

"Forced road march: complete a 12-mile road march, carrying M4 and 35 lb. load + extra gear for a total of up to 70 lbs, within three hours"

Ruck marches are one of those things that you REALLY need to build yourself up to, and even when you do...you're still at high risk for injury. Great work out though!

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/
Check out my bob: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49972

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 pm 

I absolutely love ruck marches. I absolutely hate the cold though. Soooooo I'll be waiting til the weather warms up a bit, but once it does, I'll be hitting the trails around my house, just because I can.

But since I haven't done one in three months, I'll be starting small again, and then building up to heavier weights and longer distances.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 pm 

Woods Walker wrote:
The only person you need to best is yourself. It doesn't matter the level of fitness or military pedigree of others. All that matters is what works for you.

Right on WW.
Yet there are some "experts" that say 30# is too much to carry and on another site a 18 y/o guy says he ran 300 meters with 10# bag, barely made it, too heavy.
YMMV

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.