- issue army goggles
- Poncho liner
- maglite x2
- Cold steel SRK

The only good zombie is a dead zombie

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:33 pm 

Cool :) custom or stock, LED or conventional Maglights? Is a small one taped to a bigger one or something? I can't quite make it out in the pics...

Your emergency blanket, is it one of the thin mylar-type ones? If so, I've got one of those but I think the consensus on here seems to be to ditch it in favour of a "Heatsheet".

Any wet wipes?

Nice kit! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:59 pm 

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:49 pm 

Good start. I would definately add water.

"The only thing harder than preparing ahead of time is having to explain why you didn’t" - Gabe Suarez

What part of "Shall Not Infringe" do you not understand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:00 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Nexy wrote:
Cool :) custom or stock, LED or conventional Maglights? Is a small one taped to a bigger one or something? I can't quite make it out in the pics...

Your emergency blanket, is it one of the thin mylar-type ones? If so, I've got one of those but I think the consensus on here seems to be to ditch it in favour of a "Heatsheet".

Any wet wipes?

Nice kit! :D

I am looking at his tarp/blanket and it is the same one I have. OD on one side and silver on the other. It works much like a mylar type but also as a tarp and ground cloth. Super strong. A very good item.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:50 pm 

Is that a bokken or a sword? either way nice touch! ;) and maybe a pocket knife of sorts? Im sure you got one just pictured

Post subject: Re: MY working BOB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:46 pm 

Quote:
- M-16 pouch survival kit
- Fire starting kit in Specops BDU organizer
- 3 homemade MREs

Details please. That will allow a more complete evaluation.

Quote:
- insect head net

No bug dope? More effective than the headnet alone.

Quote:
- Emergency space blanket tarp

These are good, the only reason I might suggest a heatsheet over a mylared tarp is for bulk and mass.

Quote:
- Extra Clothes

What do you have?

Quote:
- maglite x2

LED conversions? Spare batteries?

Decent start, but there might be a lot to be done. I can't really give it a decent review without knowing what is in the items I asked for clarification on.

You need more of a FAK than just two trauma dressings.

I'd like to see some more water, and the ability to boil more than a pint. Water filter? Chemical purification?

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:38 am 

I'd cut my toenails. :lol:

Seriously, it doesnt look too bad. More water or filtering setup, maybe a multi-tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:37 pm 

If those maglites are not LED versions, either upgrade or get some new lights, basic maglites suck in a huge way. Bulbs dont last long, and they drain batteries in a hurry, and are not very bright.
Get a headlamp in there. Headlamps are usually more useful than a hand held flashlight for in camp work, and walking trails. Make sure its LED.

Get some spare batteries, lithiums are best. Expensive, but worth it for a BOB. Lithiums last much longer, weigh less, dont leak, and have twice the shelf life.

Sword in a BOB? I would trade it out for something more useful, like a kukri or an axe. If keeping the sword, at least get some phone cord on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm 

First,

Woodwalker, what brand of emergency blanket do you use? I'd like to check it out.

Second,

By "working" does this mean you've tried it out for an overnight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm 

fixitman wrote:
Sword in a BOB? I would trade it out for something more useful, like a kukri or an axe. If keeping the sword, at least get some phone cord on it.

I gathered from the first bit of the post that it was just thrown into the picture for fun, and not actually part of the BOB. If it is a BOB item, phone cord is a must.

I'd be curious to hear more about these home made MRE's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

JCD wrote:
First,

Woodwalker, what brand of emergency blanket do you use? I'd like to check it out.

Second,

By "working" does this mean you've tried it out for an overnight?

This is the one I use.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame. ... 5.ctx=8358

It can be purchased at Dick’s, EMS or REI and all over the web. Here are the stats.

MPI SPACE® BRAND ALL WEATHER™ THERMAL BLANKET
Heavy duty, compact plastic lined foil 84'' x 60'' blanket will reflect and help retain over 80% of radiated body heat, providing warmth and protection, even in sub zero temperatures. Similar to the Army's Casualty Blanket, this is excellent for emergency use, camping, hunting and viewing sporting events. One in the car for winter travel could save a life! Waterproof, light-weight, and durable.

ALL WEATHER BLANKET FEATURES:
• ASTROLAR® reinforcing fabric provides up to 50% more tear and puncture resistance.
• Grommeted corners for making improvised shelter.
• Reflective metal surface make this the "ideal outdoor safety blanket", for personal protection, shelters, ground covers, boating, hiking, sight visibility.
• Radar reflector.
SPECS:
• Material: Four ply laminate of clear polyethylene film, a precise vacuum deposition of pure aluminum, a special reinforcing fabric and a layer of colored polyethylene film.
• Waterproof
• Size: 84 X 60 inches / 2.14 x 1.52m.
• Weight: 10 oz.
• Color: Olive Drab to Silver
• Made in USA.
• MPI Outdoors Part Number # 8325
Shipping Weight: 0.87 lb / 0.39 kg

It is one of the most useful gear items I camp with. It does so many things so well. It is one of the strongest survival blankets around. The darn thing is so strong that I once used one for a ground cloth and it took two years of hard core camping before I tossed it. They come in a few colors but tend to go with OD. Thinking for my daypack red could be better. Maybe next trip to EMS? The quality of the blanket is amazing considering the cheap price. The edges are sewn. The grommets are even reinforced. Loops are better but considering the cheap price I can’t really bitch. Makes for a super strong ER tarp. Not the biggest tarp (5x7) but far better than nothing. Makes for a reflective survival blanket. Once used it for this purpose after I packed a marginal bag for a -5 degree night. Worked ok as the bag was only rated for 32 and I even got a few hours of sleep. But just a few. :( The blanket makes for a nice ground cloth as it can be staked down. Packs down small and is very light weight considering the extreme durability. Not as light as a Mylar blanket but I get so much multi purpose for only 10 oz. Made in the USA makes me happy. Quality gear at a very reasonable price. I guess there is hope. One big pro of this blanket is a scout fire can be burned near the thing and the silver underside reflects the heat. Being cheaper than my Sil tarps the worry factor is much lower. The other Mylar blankets are just too weak and without grommets nearly impossible to set up as a Lean-too or flying A-frame near a fire. Once had a little scout fire under an A-frame made from this blanket. Worked good and only got a few spark holes. Had that been a 75 dollar Sil tarp I would have been pissed off. Note to anyone reading this care should be taken if you bring a fire near or under any tarp etc. A very workable option but some basic Bushcraft skills are required.

I do pack some cheap Mylar blankets.. I am betting the HeatSheet is much better than those however I am fielding 5 packs. The INCH, 72-hour, Daypack, Camping pack and mini-BOB. I just don’t want to spend 6 bucks per pack to replace a gear item that I don’t really need but have anyway do to the low cost and near zero weight and pack size. I guess if maybe one day at EMS I would purchase the Heatsheet if it was right there. But to order the thing on-line is more trouble than I am willing to do for the upgrade.

Currently I only have one MPI blanket. A big downside to having so many packs it that each one must get duplicates or equivalent items within the standard possibilities pouch. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is a sure way to NOT have an essential item inside the pack being fielded. So it gets expensive. This means that gear upgrades or additions take some time to work it’s way though the whole semi crazy system.

Here is an interesting use the MPI blanket. As doors for a heated tarp shelter. I set up a 10x10 tarp as a ground A-frame. Added a stove jack and two MPI blankets for the doors. Worked out well. Both blankets got used up over the years. One to cat piss :x and the other was just worn out as a ground cloth.

On the topic of Guerrilla509's BOB I don't think he is going to pack that wooden sword. It was just put in the photo as he said.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:10 pm 

Thank you. I take all of your suggestions seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 pm 

Looks like you got everything covered but I'm curious what's in the Home made MRE's? The FAK and the M-16 survival kit. Ant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:55 pm 

squirrley wrote:
fixitman wrote:

I gathered from the first bit of the post that it was just thrown into the picture for fun, and not actually part of the BOB. If it is a BOB item, phone cord is a must.

I'd be curious to hear more about these home made MRE's.

just dried tuna ,power bars, tea, choclate milk mix napkins matches just basic stuff i threw in