National Geographic makes it easy to print any USGS Topo map.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

National Geographic makes it easy to print any USGS Topo map.

Post by moab » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 am

"The folks at National Geographic just did a solid favor for all the adventurous outdoor photographers out there. They put every US Geological Survey (USGS) topographical map from across the United States on one easy-to-navigate site and made them easy to print out at home."

https://petapixel.com/2016/08/06/nat-ge ... ical-maps/
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone

Re: National Geographic makes it easy to print any USGS Topo map.

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 pm

I must be doing it wrong... I went to the NatGeo site and tried to get a printable quad of the area around the property I'm buying in Idaho. Never did figure out how to get the PDF to open. :ohdear:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 pm
I must be doing it wrong... I went to the NatGeo site and tried to get a printable quad of the area around the property I'm buying in Idaho. Never did figure out how to get the PDF to open. :ohdear:
You're kidding ? You with all your puter savy and ignorant ole me popped them open first time? :shock: Did you click on the little red thing? Maybe a pop up blocker on ? They're going to revoke your mod 00 license to ban status :awesome:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 pm
NT2C wrote:
You're kidding ? You with all your puter savy and ignorant ole me popped them open first time? :shock: Did you click on the little red thing? Maybe a pop up blocker on ? They're going to revoke your mod 00 license to ban status :awesome:
It's very likely all the blocks I have on my browser. I'll try it again later from a laptop I have no blocks on (and can wipe & re-image quickly when needed) that I use for "risky clicks".

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Mine did not require a pop up in windows 10 and chrome browser. Just a new tab. But I have a .pdf extension that opens .pdf's in a browser window.

What a cool thing. This is important enough for me to spend money on a new printer that will print in color. My stupid Canon printer has never printed color very well. I think I'm going to get a Brother this time.

What's the best solution for laminating these? I have a small laminator for cards and things of that size. But not 8.5x11. I wonder if you can print out legal size?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:04 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 pm
Mine did not require a pop up in windows 10 and chrome browser. Just a new tab. But I have a .pdf extension that opens .pdf's in a browser window.

What a cool thing. This is important enough for me to spend money on a new printer that will print in color. My stupid Canon printer has never printed color very well. I think I'm going to get a Brother this time.

What's the best solution for laminating these? I have a small laminator for cards and things of that size. But not 8.5x11. I wonder if you can print out legal size?
Harbor Freight used to sell an inexpensive sheet laminator that used pouches. Either that or get one on Amazon complete with 50 pouches for under $50

As for printers, I cannot say enough good things about the Xerox Work Centre 6027 laser printer I bought a year and a half ago. I paid a little bit more than that for mine ($225 from Tiger Direct B2B) and it's been just great. I stopped buying the genuine Xerox toners for it last year and started buying the LD brand from Amazon and can't tell the difference, except in the price (about 1/4 the Xerox price).

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:01 am

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Staples and other office supply stores usually do laminating but with 5 sheets NT2C's solution is probably in the same price range as what you'd get charged at a store plus you can laminate much more than 5 sheets.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:17 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 pm
flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 pm
NT2C wrote:
It's very likely all the blocks I have on my browser. I'll try it again later from a laptop I have no blocks on (and can wipe & re-image quickly when needed) that I use for "risky clicks".
I think you could use Hyper-V; IIRC, thought I'd have to check, I think there's an option to basically not save changes when a VM is shut down.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Pro tip

Take the maps you want on a thumb drive (.pdf) to a local printing shot that does D size architectural drawing prints. Check the Yellow pages, many places that sell large printers, will print out your maps as well. You can have these printed in Tyvek!

Also - most REI stores have a custom map printing service for a very good price point.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:56 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 pm
Pro tip

Take the maps you want on a thumb drive (.pdf) to a local printing shot that does D size architectural drawing prints. Check the Yellow pages, many places that sell large printers, will print out your maps as well. You can have these printed in Tyvek!

Also - most REI stores have a custom map printing service for a very good price point.
ありがとう

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 pm

TacAir wrote:
Pro tip

My brother in law owns an architectural printing company. Are you saying they probably offer Tyvek? Or you have to take your own Tyvek? Or? Tyvek would be light years better than laminated.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:57 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 pm
TacAir wrote:
Pro tip

My brother in law owns an architectural printing company. Are you saying they probably offer Tyvek? Or you have to take your own Tyvek? Or? Tyvek would be light years better than laminated.
They do locally. As far as your AO - ask. You may be surprised.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:02 pm

DIY Tyvek sheet for maps Amazon, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Tyvek-55g ... 237&sr=8-9

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:17 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:02 pm
DIY Tyvek sheet for maps Amazon, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Tyvek-55g ... 237&sr=8-9

That ones not coated for inkjet. This one is. Very cool. Thanks for posting this!

https://www.amazon.com/Coated-Tyvek-8-3 ... 374&sr=8-2

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:02 pm

And some nice weatherproof "paper" for laser printers.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:45 pm

So, just for shits and giggles, I printed out the quad for my current location. Yeah, it's about 35 years out of date. For example, the subdivision my property borders on is entirely missing, and it was built in 1999. The shopping area a mile away that was built in 1975 is only half there (it was expanded sometime in the 80s).

moab

Post by moab » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:15 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:45 pm
So, just for shits and giggles, I printed out the quad for my current location. Yeah, it's about 35 years out of date. For example, the subdivision my property borders on is entirely missing, and it was built in 1999. The shopping area a mile away that was built in 1975 is only half there (it was expanded sometime in the 80s).
It's a USGS map. They're all out of date. There are very few topo maps being made these days. If any at all. There value is in the terrain features they show. Not property lines. That's what google maps is for.

I remember before Google bought the company that did all the satellite and aerial photography. I don't recall its name. But you could buy the service for like $50 a month. We used it at my Private Investigation firm for analyzing surveillance locations. It was like space age technology at the time. We were so impressed. Now Google maps updates it's photography on a fairly regular schedule in some areas. I recall seeing wildfires in some imagery from them recently.

Actually I do remember during one of the Gulf wars looking at the pre Google Maps service and they showed things burning in the desert. I don't recall where or what it was. But between that an CNN's live feed. My second in command (A former Navy Commander. That had been the guy in charge of driving the USS Missouri IIRC. Don't recall what you call the guy that drives the boat. Navigator? He was forced out during the Clinton administration.) watched with me at our offices. AT the time the tech was so far beyond anything we'd seen before. It felt like a war room. LOL! I remember running between our offices watching different computer monitors.

With satellite and aerial photography what it is today. Topo maps don't have a lot of investment value. a lot of the USGS maps are even older than you say. My father worked off of them for the Forest Service back in the 60's and 70's. I think a lot of those were pre or post WWII. Around that time. And probably still in use today. Topo maps are still valuable though for navigating in the woods. It's hard to plan a route without them. Even on GPS devices. I think a lot of those are just uploaded old topo maps.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not planning on using a topo map to view property lines, I know that's not what it's for. They should still be updated now and then, say every decade or so, because terrain features do change for a lot of reasons. Rivers flood and change their paths, land and mudslides happen, earthquakes happen, volcanos erupt, and development happens.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”