Glow in the dark paracord.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Glow in the dark paracord.

Post by moab » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am

My son went to the beach the other night with friends. And I let him take my Jeep. 2 hours in he calls and says he was carrying the keys in shirt pocket. And they fell out in surf/sand on the beach. And it's now dark. It was Saturday night. And he was much to far away for AAA to do anything about it. And a midnite call to a mobile locksmith was going to be expensive. Luckily and hour and half later they found the keys in the seaweed. Luck. Pure luck.

It reminded me of the glow in the dark paracord I have on my garage key. No real reason for it. Just that it's a single key. And I didn't want to lose it. I also have a small hank on my firesteels. Basically anything I don't want lost I use a small hank. It doesn't glow without light on it first. So it stays relatively camouflaged until you hit it with a flashlight.

Then I thought. What if I'd put a small hank of glow in the dark paracord to my car keys. If they ever got lost. Just shine a flashlight across the area that you lost them in. And the paracord lights up like a green glowing signal in the night. EVen a small piece of it glows enough that you could see it from pretty far away. You couldn't miss it in the dark.

Here's 7 meters of it for a buck twenty nine. That covers a lot of car keys, house keys, knives, firesteels etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/550Lb-Paracord ... SwPMJc-Hnt
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Glow in the dark paracord.

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Not a bad idea, another, though (though more expensive) is a tile. The GF has memory issues from a TBI when she was 9, so she has tiles on everything, water bottle, purse, keys, car, her crew bags, etc. They are expensive and do require power and a mobile device to use. but they have helped her thousands of times.

This would be good for me because I hate having extra stuff on my keys. In fact I cannot wait to sell my car because having two big key fobs is driving me bonkers.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm
This would be good for me because I hate having extra stuff on my keys. In fact I cannot wait to sell my car because having two big key fobs is driving me bonkers.
I believe we're just a few years away from dispensing with car keys altogether; it'll all be done through our phones. That way, if we lose our phone we'll be even more thoroughly screwed than we are when that happens now.

The other thing I thought of (besides the fact that Moab's idea of glow in the dark paracord is a great one) is it's telling; the way his son lost the keys in the first place.

I mean this in a sincerely non-judgmental way, but it's just the sort of thing a younger person has to do at least once in life in order to learn (the hard way) that one doesn't put something heavy and valuable in their shirt pocket. Especially if they're going to go romping around in the sand. Nothing like being royally inconvenienced in order to fully appreciate the consequences of a mistake like that. God knows I certainly did things similar when I was younger. Except back then, we didn't have cell phones to call for help. :shock:

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 pm

in lieu of "Glow in the dark" I"ve considered Tritium or something similar.
lemme find the linky for a product I've looked at a few times. it's advertised as "camping night light" etc. pricewise it falls between "glow in the dark" and Tritium stuff...

ETA: "Paqlite" is the brand I was thinking about. Seems to fall in between the cheap glow and the pricey Tritium stuff....
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm just going to mention that if you hit any "glow-in-the-dark" item (anything "hi-viz" too but even more so) with a laser pointer (blue is best) it lights up like a flare going off. Something to keep in mind when searching for such things at night or in the dark.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:59 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm
I mean this in a sincerely non-judgmental way, but it's just the sort of thing a younger person has to do at least once in life in order to learn (the hard way) that one doesn't put something heavy and valuable in their shirt pocket. Especially if they're going to go romping around in the sand. Nothing like being royally inconvenienced in order to fully appreciate the consequences of a mistake like that. God knows I certainly did things similar when I was younger. Except back then, we didn't have cell phones to call for help. :shock:
This. Exactly!!!! LOL! His mother went off on him about carrying stuff in his breast pocket. He got really lucky he found them. The next day of course I went and had extra keys made for everything. So next time at worse it will be a drive to him with a new set of keys.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 am

I got a glow in the dark stick (for lack of a better term) on my key ring for exactly that reason.
I also have a reflective / glow in the dark tape on the back of my cell phone also.

I have loosing the things I need.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

emclean wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 am
I got a glow in the dark stick (for lack of a better term) on my key ring for exactly that reason.
I also have a reflective / glow in the dark tape on the back of my cell phone also.

I have loosing the things I need.
Not advocating for this product. Just a funny coincidence that it popped up in my inbox the same day as your post.

TEC Accessories Tritium Glow Fob
https://drop.com/buy/tec-accessories-is ... eId=993433

Return to “Bug Out Gear”