Keychain Flashlight Needed - picky specifics

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

designerchick

Keychain Flashlight Needed - picky specifics

Post by designerchick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Hoping someone can help me replace my beloved Energizer High Tech LED Keychain light that finally bit the dust. Unfortunately they've changed it so I can't get another one.

Needs:
  • Click button on/off - not twist, and not hold. This is what they changed on the Energizer - you have to continually squeeze it now for the light to stay on, and that's very impractical.
  • Small and light - ideally 3.5" length max, and slimmer is better.
  • I prefer replaceable battery, but would consider rechargeable.
  • Doesn't have to be super-bright - 15-20 lumens is fine. Brighter is ok, but not required. I keep a more powerful light in my pack, but this is just for a quick, convenient, "need to find the keyhole in the dark" kind of thing.
  • Cheap - the Engergizer one was less than $10. That may not be possible now, but I'd like to stay around $20 or less if at all possible.
There are a million of them on Amazon, but it's hard to wade through reviews to figure out if they're trustworthy. I'd rather hear recommendations from people who use them every day and will be honest about their performance. Thank you!

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Keychain Flashlight Needed - picky specifics

Post by yossarian » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 pm

I had at one point an ASP Sapphire and a Photon Micro-light. I really liked both and they served well for a long time until they just succumbed to the abuse of being a keychain light. Both of them were 10+ years ago so they have probably made changes to them. I've had decent luck with Photon knockoffs on Amazon and you can get a dozen for a few dollars. I really wanted to like the Nitecore Tube and lots of others do. Mine just stopped working after serving very light duty.

Good info here if you haven't seen it.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=118684&p=2686078&h ... t#p2686078
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

I cannot praise the quality of this particular brand more than to say they are freaking awesome. I keep one of these on me at all times and have gifted a dozen or more of them to friends over the past two years. At 3.5" it meets your spec, it works best with rechargeable batteries but can also run on disposables, albeit at reduced brightness (still more than exceeds your requirements though). If you prefer slimmer then they also make a AAA version that is slimmer, shorter, and not quite as bright as the AA 2.0 version but is still a damn nice piece of kit that does all that you require and more.

Just for shits & giggles, I pulled the one I carry in my sweats (my "uniform" when I'm around the house) and took a picture of how it's stood up to the abuse of banging around in a pocket with a spare mag for mt LCPII, another flashlight, a Buck 055 knife, a nail clipper, and various and sundry tools, parts, and car keys I might stick in there with it since October of 2017 when I bought it. (The LCPII is in the other pocket and nothing goes in with it because I carry Condition 1 in a pocket holster.)

Also, there's this torture test of it:

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Thank you both very much! I'll check these out.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Good info here if you haven't seen it.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=118684&p=2686078&h ... t#p2686078
Thank you! I had read that thread last year sometime and for some reason I couldn't locate it.

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-Micr ... 3JZ08?th=1

I like mine, I carry it everyday and have had it for years. I use a rechargeable ( eneloop ) AAA in it.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlights-Flas ... ms?ie=UTF8

For cost and size ,more than decent brightness. All of mine have lasted at least couple years.( usually end up gifting them out ) I have bought dozens of these and gifted to kids, grandkids, friends and coworkers. works best with 14500 battery. Was my edc for years. Still keep at least one in truck, gun bag, GHB. Is and has been since we first got the first ones my wife's edc ( she keeps one in a coat and one on her pants pocket and one of those is from the first batch at least four years ago Cheap, reliable , stashable .
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Flashlights-Flas ... ms?ie=UTF8

For cost and size ,more than decent brightness. All of mine have lasted at least couple years.( usually end up gifting them out ) I have bought dozens of these and gifted to kids, grandkids, friends and coworkers. works best with 14500 battery. Was my edc for years. Still keep at least one in truck, gun bag, GHB. Is and has been since we first got the first ones my wife's edc ( she keeps one in a coat and one on her pants pocket and one of those is from the first batch at least four years ago Cheap, reliable , stashable .
Those are pretty good flashlights. Like you, I've given away dozens of them over the years. I was getting them for less than a dollar on eBay a few years ago. As you say, they work great with a 14500 battery (I keep one set up that way in the pocket of my work pants) and will use a regular AA without a whimper. They're just a bit big and clunky though and exceeded her 3.5" size limit (they're 3.7") as well as being anything but slim.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Just for shits & giggles, I bought one of the Lumintop AAA lights so I could do a direct comparison between it and its larger cousin the AA Tool 2.0

AAA Tool on the top, AA Tool 2.0 on the bottom, pretty standard house key (to a place I don't own anymore) in the middle for size comparison.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm

I have a Nitecore Tube of which I'm very fond. Actually, I have two; one on my keychain, one in my EDC bag. Click on, but firm enough I've never had it turn on by accident.

It also has the peculiar, though dubiously useful, characteristic of acting like a power outage light. That is, if you turn it on then plug it in, it will turn off; if the power goes out, it turns back on. I assume that's just a side-effect of the board design and not an intended characteristic, but it amuses me a bit.

They have several other similar lights, with which I am not personally familiar. I'm kinda interested in the Thumb, though, as it's tilting head and clip could make for a nice EDC multi-use light (clip to hats, head bands, shirts or shirt pockets, carry, etc).

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:26 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm
I have a Nitecore Tube of which I'm very fond. Actually, I have two; one on my keychain, one in my EDC bag. Click on, but firm enough I've never had it turn on by accident.

It also has the peculiar, though dubiously useful, characteristic of acting like a power outage light. That is, if you turn it on then plug it in, it will turn off; if the power goes out, it turns back on. I assume that's just a side-effect of the board design and not an intended characteristic, but it amuses me a bit.

They have several other similar lights, with which I am not personally familiar. I'm kinda interested in the Thumb, though, as it's tilting head and clip could make for a nice EDC multi-use light (clip to hats, head bands, shirts or shirt pockets, carry, etc).
My wife got me a Quiqlite Pro in white/blue one year and I liked it so much the following year she got me the QuiqkliteX in white/white. Next year (this is at the Washington, D.C. Police Week Expo for LEOs) I'm hoping she gets me a QuiqliteX2. :awesome:

Scally_EDC

Post by Scally_EDC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Maybe a couple weeks too late on this, but the Rovyvon A1 is a killer little light that hits most of your needs (& well beyond). It's a rechargeable via micro sub, but otherwise everything you laid out...the A1 runs a couple bucks more than what you mentioned you want to spend, but you can find it online around $25.

FerFAL

Post by FerFAL » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 am

I have a Thrunite Ti, very tiny, AAA titanium LED. Its a good way to go :wink:

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 am

Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain