USGI Jerry can nozzles?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

USGI Jerry can nozzles?

Post by moab » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:24 am

I see that Scepter makes one for $25. Does anyone else know of another brand or source for them? Looking for a better deal or a better product or both. How handy are these? Or is it a waste of money?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: USGI Jerry can nozzles?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:55 pm

Looks like a pain for gas but useful for water...

Can't help ya, other than saying my local harbor freight had a bunch of jerry can stuff not long ago, if I remember. Might be worth checking out.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 am

I think this would be better suited in Bug Out Gear... moving
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:33 am

I thought you were talking about something else that uses a more colorful metaphor.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Nobody huh? I'm surprised. I'm going to look for a cheaper nozzle. But they look great for water. It's a bitch to tip a 5 gallon water can over and get water out without splashing it everywhere.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:30 pm
Nobody huh? I'm surprised. I'm going to look for a cheaper nozzle. But they look great for water. It's a bitch to tip a 5 gallon water can over and get water out without splashing it everywhere.
I imagine a funnel, like for the kitchen or the car oil, would be cheaper and would work.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Found the one above for half price. I'm happy. http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonline ... ater-cans/

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by PsycoBob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I usually just tap the pour fitting for a stub of brass pipe and a ball valve. If it's for hand washing, I use a toilet shutoff valve, for a smaller stream.

There are tripod holders meant for inverting fuel cans to feed Arctic stoves, I've bought and sold then at shows for the water cans.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 pm

I just ended up with a couple dozen new old stock poly jerry cans. After looking at spouts on the interwebs, i reverted to my typical cheapness and made some.
The inside of the neck is a standard 2 inch pipe thread. A pvc threaded reducer from 2in male to 3/4 female was 3 bucks, a 3/4 male to 3/4 barbed fitting was 1.09 amd a 10 ft roll of clear fuel safe hose was 12 bucks. So for the price of 2 spouts on amazon I built 5 spouts and had enough cash left over to fill a can for testing.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 pm
I just ended up with a couple dozen new old stock poly jerry cans. After looking at spouts on the interwebs, i reverted to my typical cheapness and made some.
The inside of the neck is a standard 2 inch pipe thread. A pvc threaded reducer from 2in male to 3/4 female was 3 bucks, a 3/4 male to 3/4 barbed fitting was 1.09 amd a 10 ft roll of clear fuel safe hose was 12 bucks. So for the price of 2 spouts on amazon I built 5 spouts and had enough cash left over to fill a can for testing.
Caution, PVC pipe isn't fuel safe and can deteriorate from fuel exposure, can create a static charge when fuel flows through it, and gets brittle at low temperatures or from extended exposure to sunlight. (That last is why when PVC DWV stacks vent through a roof the national code requires they be painted.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:22 am

Absolutely correct- for continuous use pvc is terrible. For intermittent use it is less of a concern. Paint is a good idea regarding the uv degradation, although far less if a concern than in years past. I recently oversaw 7000 feet of 8inch sdr 40 going in the ground. There was a slight delay so the pipe layed strung on the surface for just over 19 months. Upon resuming we sent several samples for testing. Pipe was fine. The uv degradation rate of current pipe is far better than in older formulations. The national code is like a bad habit- slow to change and hard to kick.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”