Mrs. Woodsghost's Get Home Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Mrs. Woodsghost's Get Home Bag

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Here is the Get Home Bag I put together for my wife. However, the bag is now an Osprey Kode 22. It is not an ideal pack, but my brother decided he'd rather have the pack I started my wife's GHB in (the SwissGear pack in the gear pick). I was not going to argue, and I figured out how to rig the Kode to carry my wife's backpacking gear when not used as a GHB. The Kode is obviously billed as a winter sports bag, but can be rigged to securely carry other camping gear externally.

I'm thinking the poncho liner will also get switched out for my wife's 40* F Ozark Trail sleeping bag. It is super compact, and warmer than that poncho liner. That way she will have the option of a bag or unzipping it into a blanket.

Total weight of the bag, with water, is just under 11 lbs.

This will sit in her car, and occasionally be used for camping. It is intended for emergencies lasting 12 hours or less. In a pinch it could do for 24 hour emergencies. The idea is to use the car as shelter, particularly with an eye towards the cold, and to stick to roads or urban areas if for some reason the car needed to be abandoned. Wilderness survival is not the intended purpose of this kit, but that is not out of the question either. The intended user (my wife) is not a skilled survivalist, so the gear is hopefully simple and fairly intuitive.

Feedback is welcome.

And here is the Kode.

Contents:

Shelter:

Ozark Trail 40* bag
Fleece gloves w/nylon shell
Synthetic knit hat
BCUSA Mest Tarp
Shemagh
Bandanna
Hothands 6 & 10 hr
4x Tea candles
SOL Emergency Bivi

Food & Water

Smart Water bottle (700 ml, full) (can hopefully be used to backflush filter if needed)
x6 Nature Vally oat bars (1140 cal total)
NDuR water bottle (unused, so no worries about left over water freezing in the filter)
Metal cup (just in case we need to melt snow?)

Tools

Mora Companion
10 ft of paracord in a braclet
Lighter
Flashlight
Head band flashlight
10 zip ties
5 ft Duct Tape
Permanent Marker
Pen

First Aid

Band Aids
Tissues
Gauze pads (2x2)
Nitrile Gloves
Sunscreen
Tylonol (500 mg, x8)
Ibprofen (250 mg, x8)
Alcohol wipes

Want to add:

Cell phone battery
Car port cell phone charger
Safety Pins
Hand Sanitizer
Maps?

So that is where she is right now. Now I have to get my own bag set up here. :awesome:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Mrs. Woodsghost's Get Home Bag

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:54 pm

It's so subjective to respond...
I like it.
Perhaps redundancy with blades and fire. (one for pocket one for pack)
I like a 2x2 sheet of aluminum foil folded into a small square. Most things you wrap up in it will cook nicely in the coals of a fire. Squirrel, for instance. Grubs.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Looks great and commend you in keeping it simple. If making a kit for another person, especially someone not as into as prepping, less stuff and more simple/intuitive is key. One thing I might do is switch out the bracelet for a bundle of Paracord. I assume you have that there to go with the tarp for shelter if need be. That way she doesn't have to undo the bracelet in case she needs to use it.

Last thing would be a notebook with important info (phone numbers, addresses of important places, high level plan).

All in all great kit. Need to go through my wife's bag at home and clean it up too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 am

It should be pretty easy to add some more fire-starting stuff. Petroleum Cotton Balls, Esbit Tabs, Wet Fire Cubes, etc etc. I'd put it all in a freezer ziploc bag and label it as such.

And speaking of freezer ziploc bags, anything that could get wet, that you wouldn't want wet should be in one, or a sil-nylon dry bag, or such.

A spare pair of non-cotton socks would also be a good addition to the warm clothes you already have.

Personally for metal cups, I like ones with folding handles. The Sierra cup style is just awkward to pack efficiently in a bag.

And if you do add any maps, a compass would be a good addition.

I think you're off to a good start so far, just don't go wild with adding things. It needs to be functional, but also comfortable for your wife to carry.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Needs a multitool. Preferably one with pliers. Fleece hat for cold and compact floppy hat for sun. Protect your head!

I second a compass and a map. Running shoes (does she tend to wear practical footwear)? My wife's bag has a bit bigger blade, just I'm case she needs to keep someone at a distance (she hates firearms).

A gallon freezer bag can be used to carry water but takes up no space empty (or a collapsible water bag). A garbage bag can similarly do a lot to keep folks or gear dry, but pack into nothing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 am

I like it!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Awesome kit. Like always WW. Well thought out and appointed.

A few thoughts:

I agree about more fire. And obviously keeping it simple for her with lighters. But I think they should be spread out. Like one in her pack, one in her jacket, one to just put in her pocket and one in her fanny or waist pack. Which brings me to my next suggestion.

A fanny or waist pack. I'm gonna come about this opinion from a different angle. As the many tragedies that could befall a woman alone on the road at night - fly thru my head. I like more and more the idea of her carrying two sets of essentials - fire, light, water etc. etc. One in her pack and one in a fanny or waist pack or even a chest pack. This way if she has to ditch her load and run. She can do that without complete loss of lifesaving essentials. Hate to be so blunt about it. But being a woman on the roads at night is just a sad reality I don't wish to even think about. But you have to plan for it.

I even have my kits broken out in the same way. And I'm a big dude. An Ex-Marine. I still have a plan for running. lol. Ditch my pack and I still have my fannypack and chestrig. Ditch my chest rig and I still have my fanny pack. Or visa versa. Or if I lose it. Or if I drop it in a river. Or if I don't have time to pick it up again and take it with me.

Maybe a Sawyer mini? Or Squeeze? Can't hurt. Or even just some water purification tablets? I like the ultralight approach you've taken here though. And sacrifices have to be made. I just wonder if you might start training with her a bit or taking her with you on all those most excellent hikes (Ok. Maybe just the dry ones. LOL!) you do. And maybe thinking more along the 5C's or whatever you want to call it route? The smart bottle is highly effective as an ultralight item. Just wondering how important it might be in your locale to change it out for a SS bottle she can boil in.

I know the 550 bracelet was probably thrown in cause you had it on hand. And if you're like me you have boxes of stuff "on hand". lol! But some separate strands of 550 would be good too. A 100ft or so in her pack. Same in her fanny pack. Etc. Or bankline. Some water purification, extra blade (like leatherman in the fannypack and main blade in the pack or on her belt), trying to remember all the 5c's. But you get what I mean. Two sets. One smaller in her fanny pack or chest rig. And one in her pack.

I really like that you put a sleeping bag in. That's smart. Nothing compares to it. Even a tarp and a woobie or wool blanket. Is not as good as a simple sleeping bag and a tarp.

I would swap out a wool watch cap for the synthetic one. I have one that is lined with Goretex. Kills two birds with one stone. No bill to keep the rain off your face. But better than just a synthetic.

I'd add a mountain house or equivalent meal. Just to have a hot meal with you. And it weighs next to not much. She could split it up into three meals easily.

Gauze pads and the duct tape are all kinds of awesome. You can make any bandage with that. Really no need for the bandaids. But they weigh nothing and are quicker for small stuff. Good call on this one.

I know it's only a 1-3 day bag(?). But you might throw in some single use triple antibiotic creams. And maybe a pain pill or two. Just in case of larger injury.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Car port cell phone charger". But you might consider one of those bad ass cell phone battery back ups like you've been testing. (I know. I know. She can't have all your toys! :)

NDuR water bottle - I just saw this. I think it's a water filter right? So scratch what I said about the Sawyer mini.

Lastly, I'd consider a USGI bivy. You've got the tarp and the sleeping bag. But we both know in a driving rain or even one that floods the ground - your sleeping bag is going to get wet. A USGI Bivy weighs what? 2lbs at most? It's an iffy thing for the weight. But gold in my opinion. I'd even consider it over the tarp in certain situations. It just seems a little more fail safe with a sort of untrained person in the woods or by side of the road. They may not have the knowledge to pick the best camp site. And they most certainly will get wet in the rain. And drying out a sleeping bag is no easy feat.

I agree with the map and compass. If she can be taught how to use it. Otherwise a simple gps or phone gps app device would be good. Something simple she can turn on and just see where she's at and where she needs to go. Maybe a phone app would be better for this. She's probably familiar with Google maps. I know your thinking normal disaster here and not PAW. So it does make sense. Just don't go all Garmin on her. Or her eyes will roll back in her head. lol. Mine did the first few months of operating one.

Lastly, a signaling device beyond the mirror (I think I saw that on your list). Maybe even a couple round flare gun. They are super lightweight. And if she's lost in a normal disaster could save her life. And help those looking for her - greatly.

But I see what your trying to do here. Something ultralight weight. That can be thrown in the car and forgotten about. That she can use in a pinch. Not a BOB by any stretch of the imagination. It's a great base you've got even without any additions.

Keep us updated as you add and subtract to it. Looks like an excellent bag.

P.

PS - I almost forgot. A set of synthetic or merino wool top and bottom. Takes hardly any room. and can add that last bit of heat retention that cold nights can suck out of you. Or even cold days.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Moab hit a lot of points I would but substitute his suggestion of the USGI bivy and go with the USMC improved bivy. I found mine on ebay for $55, has a bugnet built in, and is a LOT lighter.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Delsaw wrote:...One thing I might do is switch out the bracelet for a bundle of Paracord....

Last thing would be a notebook with important info (phone numbers, addresses of important places, high level plan).
Thanks! And will do.
Murph wrote:It should be pretty easy to add some more fire-starting stuff. ....

And speaking of freezer ziploc bags, ....

A spare pair of non-cotton socks ...

Personally for metal cups, I like ones with folding handles. ....
Good points. I'm not sure why she would need so much more in the way of fire starting materials. Especially if she (or I) would stick to the vehicle. A lighter and tea candles can do a lot to get a fire going.

Love the idea of zip lock bags and socks. The metal cup fits in the pack flatter than the other kind.
roscoe wrote:Needs a multitool. ....

Running shoes....

Bags.....
Been thinking about a multi-tool. Looking for a decent one in the $10-$15 range. Let me know if you have suggestions. I"m also trying to talk her into putting her worn out Keens boots in the car. Also, been thinking some bags would be a good idea.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm

moab wrote:Awesome kit. Like always WW. Well thought out and appointed.

I"m WG ;) Just as long as you know which "Woods" you are talking with :mrgreen:

A few thoughts:

....Fanny pack & MORE fire....

I'll see what she thinks about a fanny pack. I know she really wants one for work. I should just order her one. Maybe two. For late Christmas presents. I'll chat with her on it.

As the many tragedies that could befall a woman alone on the road at night .....

I'd be most comfortable if she stayed with the car and kept things locked. And I"d be much more comfortable if she got into concealed carry. But my wishes are not laws. I'll take my victories and slowly push deeper (at least she likes shooting small bore rifles!)

Maybe a Sawyer mini? Or Squeeze? Can't hurt. Or even just some water purification tablets?

I was going to go with tablets, but came across the NDuR bottles really cheap. Their chemical filtration sold me.

I know the 550 bracelet was probably thrown in cause you had it on hand....

You nailed it. And I know I need to switch out for something else. Bank line is what I"ll substitute. But honestly, I don't see her using the tarp or the rope. Especially if she shelters in the car. The tarp and rope are simply for REALLY unusual situations.

I would swap out a wool watch cap for the synthetic one. I have one that is lined with Goretex.

The synthetic is there because 1) we have it and 2) it will dry faster than wool. But I like the idea of wool & Gortex. I"ll keep my eyes peeled for one.

I'd add a mountain house or equivalent meal. Just to have a hot meal with you. And it weighs next to not much. She could split it up into three meals easily.

I like the idea. The pack is only 22 liters, I believe. Anyway it is small and currently packed to capacity. I'll check with her though.

I know it's only a 1-3 day bag(?). But you might throw in some single use triple antibiotic creams. And maybe a pain pill or two. Just in case of larger injury.

.5 to 1.5 day pack. It does have pain pills.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Car port cell phone charger".

I mean one of those phone chargers you plug into your cigarette lighter in your car. I just don't know the fancy words :)

Lastly, I'd consider a USGI bivy.

Not sure that will happen. Again, the intent is to shelter in the car and not stray from it as rescuers (most likely AAA) will find the car before they will find a person. Also the pack is done up to capacity. I could attach it externally, but then why not attach a sleeping pad and other gear as well?

I agree with the map and compass. If she can be taught how to use it.

That is an open question at this point. While her mom is part homing pigeon, part blood hound, her dad....is not. And she takes after her dad. Also she does not have a smart phone, so no GPS apps. We did have a Garmin, but her car was broken into a few weeks ago and it was stolen. We can replace it, but that is her best bet for establishing location.

And on that note; the bag and stuff in it needs to not break the bank if it gets stolen.

Lastly, a signaling device beyond the mirror (I think I saw that on your list). Maybe even a couple round flare gun. They are super lightweight. And if she's lost in a normal disaster could save her life. And help those looking for her - greatly.

I could add a mirror. But then, in that type of a situation, she could probably just rip off the rear view or pieces of the side mirror. I do hope she will use the car as a resource if things are that dire. I do have one lying around, so we might just add it anyway.

PS - I almost forgot. A set of synthetic or merino wool top and bottom. Takes hardly any room. and can add that last bit of heat retention that cold nights can suck out of you. Or even cold days.

I really like that idea. She only recently consented to letting me get her some synthetic base layers. I"ll have to ask if she would use them. Also, the bag's capacity has been reached. But I have an idea that might allow them to be stored.
Thanks Moab! As always :) Great ideas!

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Overall, a good looking kit for the intended purposes. I'd have to ask a couple of questions about it, specifically:

--That paracord bracelet--does she know how to take it apart? Seems like a stupid thing to ask, but some of the braiding techniques they use to make those are an absolute pain in the ass to take apart, especially if you're cold...

--Car port cell phone charger? Are you just talking about a standard car charger for her phone? Or is this some other type of gadget?

Some stuff that might be worth adding in would be (IMO):

--ziploc freezer bags, awesome frugal way to keep stuff dry
--extra socks ("hands feet neck and balls, extra socks warms them all")
--maybe a small tube of neosporin or anti-bacterial cream into the first aid kit?
--hand sanitizer
--a compass; does she know how to use it already, or is she willing to learn? If yes to either, then I'd toss it in...otherwise, not really worth the weight/space
--a map; again, does she know how to use it already, or is she willing to learn?
--some comfy extra shoes (depending on what she normally wears...maybe toss in an older pair, use it as an excuse to for her to get new ones if she's hesitant but likes shopping)
--maybe some kind of marker for the car (orange surveyor's tape, bicycle flag, or something similar) to make it easier/faster for rescuers to spot it

How does that bag fit/ride? I've been considering it as a possibility for a day-hiking bag for a friend who's just getting into hiking...
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:52 pm

WG I did have you confused with WW! LMAO!!!

You said something in that long well thought out response to my response about the bag being kind of disposable. And I get more of your meaning now. Maybe it's more of a stick with the car but survive the night with type of bag(?). And if that's the case. It would be interesting to see what you could hide in the car from criminals but that would still be useful in a breakdown or stuck situation.

With this in mind. You might get away with simply not putting everything in the bag. If you bought an old MSS and just kept the intermediate bag in the trunk in an old trash bag. I doubt anyone would touch it. I'd also beef up on roadside assistance type stuff. Road flares, orange reflectors, cig plug tire inflator, recharge jump battery thing (see my nomenclature isn't always that great either). A shovel, a bag of sand. Maybe a shitty old axe that looks like junk but that has a good edge? Think rusty tools. Not new stuff. Extra water for the vehicle and her. Some ductape (like full size rolls), baling wire etc. things for easy car repairs. Even if she can't use it maybe someone stopping to help can. Some basic tools. Again all of this stuff could be cheap old ass garage sale stuff. The rustier the better. Just sharpened and oiled up.

Then concentrate on what she might leave with. You might even consider a cheap Alice without a frame. (Meaning something you won't mind losing. Cheap.) That way it's old enough to maybe not get stolen. And you have the room to put the few more things you were thinking of putting in it.

Lastly, if you can save your gps money and get her even a small older smart phone (I think a Samsung Galaxy S4 can be had for under a hundred bucks - assuming you've already got service. But maybe you don't.) you'd be surprised what she could quickly learn to do with it. That might save her life someday if she were separated from the vehicle for a night or two. There's really easy to use mapping software on every android phone. There's texting for when phone service might be to bad for a phone call but maybe not bad enough for text. Weather apps. Survival apps. The list goes on and on. But even the basics on a smart phone could save her life. But I get if that's just not in the cards right now. I get it. Believe me. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Wraith6761 wrote:
--Car port cell phone charger? Are you just talking about a standard car charger for her phone? Or is this some other type of gadget?

How does that bag fit/ride? I've been considering it as a possibility for a day-hiking bag for a friend who's just getting into hiking...
Yes.

Love the suggestions. Especially the surveyor's tape. More accident supplies.

I"ll get back to you on the fit/ride. Let me get a few miles with it. I'll try to get some before the end of the week. But I"ll say just putting it on and wearing it around the house the bag seems really nice and the fit/ride is great for both me and my wife. I have a shorter trunk size and she has a longer trunk size, so we are pretty close.
moab wrote:WG I did have you confused with WW! LMAO!!!
It would be interesting to see what you could hide in the car from criminals but that would still be useful in a breakdown or stuck situation.
Lastly, if you can save your gps money and get her even a small older smart phone......
Great ideas! I really love that one about stashing stuff that criminals would overlook.

You are not the first to confuse me with WW. And I"ve been confused with another member here too :D Both were high compliments!

We do not have the type of plan that would accept another smart phone. I"ve been thinking about switching phones and giving her the smart phone. Whenever we start having kids I"m going to really want her to have the smart phone. I keep trying to talk her into a smart phone and talk her into letting me downgrade, but she likes what she has and likes that I have what I have. So I dunno.

2now

Post by 2now » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Some thoughts on you wife's GHB.
I always seem to suggest a repair kit, needle and thread at a minimum, and I do so again here.
If she does not like CCW, get a small can of pepper spray.

[assume she might not have her normal purse/wallet]
Cash
ATM or credit card
backup ID

I have had great luck with some of the straight canteen/cup combinations, cutting the top of the canteen, and flipping it over and putting it back into the cup. Then you have a sturdy container that keeps your fragile and small things organized, for the space of your metal cup.

For the FAK:
Caffeine tablets
benydryl
neosporin soaked cotton balls in small Ziploc bag
[in case walking]
moleskin
an ace bandage

But then more importantly what is your wife really good at? What sort of tool could you put in her bag that would let her; get stuff done, be more valuable to others, take care of herself or others? For example my wife is an organizer and she likes spiral student type notebooks. She uses them to get stuff done. If she needed to get home and she had a good notebook and pen, I expect she would use it to work a 6 way deal involving food shelter and transport for a bunch of people, that would include her getting driven home, warm and fed. I have not idea how she would do it. I could not do it. But I know what tools she uses best and try to make sure my wife has the things that let her do what she is good at.
I helped someone with a BoB once that was not very familiar with an axe or saw, but gardened avidly and was used to cutting mid sized branches with ratcheting garden shears. So we put a good set of garden shears in her BoB to cut wood for a small fire.
What would help your wife use skills she already has and do what she does best?
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I like the idea of preparing a GHB for someone who hasn't built one on their own; it's what I have done for my wife, too. Your kit is concise, easy-to-use, and pretty straightforward. It also caught my attention, since I make use of many of the same items.

A couple of thoughts, in no particular priority:

1.) Multi-tool. Resist the temptation to cheap out on this. I added a Swisstool that served me for years; doing so paved the way for me to buy a Gerber Diesel for myself...you know...as a replacement.

2.) First aid . The kit looks good, the one I prefer is this:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/med ... ght-9.html
It's small, has some common and not so common supplies, and is not so expensive that your wife will be reluctant to use it.

3.) List of bag contents. I put my wife's GHB together in front of her, so she had an idea of what I was putting in there and why. If Mrs. Woodsghost is anything like my wife, she may think that she is never going to need a GHB. When and if she does need it, a list of contents could help.

Again, thanks for sharing this. You're moving in the right direction, and you have given us all food for thought!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

2now wrote: ....If she does not like CCW, get a small can of pepper spray.

.....[assume she might not have her normal purse/wallet]

....For the FAK:

....But then more importantly what is your wife really good at?
Good ideas! And I have been thinking of what skills she would need tools for. I"m still thinking, but I should start talking with her about it. I appricate the rest of what you have to say.

echo83 wrote:
1.) Multi-tool.
2.) First aid .

3.) List of bag contents.
I"m thinking she needs a multi-tool. Just wanting to find something decent in the $10-$15 range.

The contents list is a super idea! I have shown her the pictures of what is in there, but I'm thinking we should unpack it, go over each of the items, go over primary and alternate uses, and have her pack it. But a contents list would still be super useful. Even I have to look at the pic to remember it all.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”