SNAFU's New Bug Out Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SNAFU84

SNAFU's New Bug Out Bag

Post by SNAFU84 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 pm

My original pack was the FAC Track, but I never really did anything with it, so I sold it for gear I would use more. Well, I scratched the itch again and bought the Half Track. Since i've only ever owned Eberlestock, I went back to them. So far, it's just a work in progress, i'm taking it out with me this weekend to test it out. See what I need as opposed to what I want in the pack. I haven't weighed it yet, but I believe it's about 50 odd pounds. So far, it feels really comfy walkin' around in the backyard and around the house.

Halftrack with an ESSTAC Hydration Carrier

I used MOLLE Clips to secure the straps to the PALS webbing on the top pouch of the pack. I also used more clips at the bottom of the pouch to secure to the pack. It's an easy clip on/off system. I can also stow extra clothing/gear underneath the pouch if I run out of room inside the pack.

Top pouch
-Katadyn Hiker Pro
-Garmin etrex
-Suunto Compass
-extra AA batteries and CR123 batteries for my lights
-paracord

Pack without the hydration carrier

-12 inch Ontario Tanto (used for splitting wood mainly)
-KA-BAR
-Caribiners

Right side vertical pouch

-dry sac with socks, underwear and a t-shirt
-tent fly (Ridgeway by Kelty Vuntut2)

Left side vertical pouch

-dry sac with socks, underwear and a t-shirt
-tent body (Ridgeway by Kelty Vuntut2)

Inside the pack

(from top to bottom)
-Issued bivy bag
-HSGI Mini GP Pouches for first aid (shown later)
-polypro top and bottom (bottom left of the pack)
-sea to summit medium compression sack for my sleeping bag and fleece liner

Rear of the pack

(top to bottom)
-fleece sweater
-Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Trekker (regular)

Wasit Belt

(left pouch)
-Gerber Multitool
-Surefire Helmet Light
-CR123 Batteries
-tanto folder

(right pouch)
-CR123 batteries
-Surefire 6P
-fleece toque

I have a one person tent being shipped so that will replace the two man tent I have right now. The Ridgeway was only 100 bucks so it was an impulse buy. I like the tent though and i'll be using it this weekend. Once I get the one man tent, i'll be able to free up some space in both of the vertical side pouches where I plan to keep my food. Since i'm on an excersize this weekend, I won't be needing my own food. I usually carry a mix of mountain house and military rations with a few sidekick rice pouches. I'll be replacing my issued rain gear with the 5.11 packable rain jacket. Basically, all the big bulky heavy stuff is going to be replaced by lighter and more pack friendly gear. I want to beef up my FAK so i'm going to do my best to make enough space for a larger kit but keep the stuff I already have in my pack. I'll update the thread as I progress and I should hopefully have some pictures of my gear in use by the end of the weekend. More to follow.

Gear to add;
-mess kit & KFS
-steripen
-fire kit
-pelican 1010 case survival it
-nalgene bottles or my 2 canteens(currently on my chest rig)

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Re: SNAFU's New Bug Out Bag

Post by corrsk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 pm

I'd say only carry one of those big knives to save weight.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Yes. This looks like a great start. But ditch two of the 4 knives. Assuming your multitool has a knife blade too. I'd ditch the kabar and the folder. Maybe even considering something the size of the Kabar but that's full tang to replace the big tanto your using for batoning wood. EDIT - I read that wrong. I thought it said 11 inch blade. That knife your using for batoning should be good as a one and done knife. And you've got your blade on the multitool as back up and small work.

What is your AO?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Poop paper?
Tooth brush?
Toothpaste?
My thoughts on knives have been said above.
Important documents on a flash drive or some such?
Cash?
Firearms? /protection?
Soap?
Hand sanitizer?
Can you at least throw in a Bic lighter right now?

Looks like your AO is Canada?

I'd love to get an update when you have the rest of your gear added.

This is all I have at the moment. I"m sure I"ll think of more later. I always seem to do that.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Another good place to start, Snafu, is to search for INCH bag lists. And cull what you need for your BOB. As the INCH lists will be overkill. So you know you haven't forgotten anything. BOB lists can help too.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Is a stove and fuel part of your kit? Or do you feel those are necessary?
Are you interested in carrying trapping, fishing, or hunting supplies? If this is more of an INCH, that could be useful. Though it REALLY helps to have some experience with those activities before some disaster strikes. If your BOB is more of a "house on fire, need to get out and stay some place over night" kinda bag, then please forget the suggestion of trapping, hunting, or fishing gear.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm in Ontario, Canada. Close to the city. My plan is simple. Refine my bag some more, head north to my hunting cabin.

I've added TP, my fire kit and my Pelican 1010 Case survival kit. I also added a Protractor to my navigation tools. I won't display my map, but I carry a map for my immediate location and one for my BOL.

Fire kit consists of;
-tinder sticks
-3 bic lighters
-striker
-2 containers of weather proof matches in a water tight container

I highly doubt I will ever need it, BUT IF the occasion calls for it, I have my Tactical Tailor MAV. Capable of carrying 8 rifle magazines and 4 pistol mags for my AR and my Glock or M&P 9. I'll carry an extra 200 loose rifle rounds and 100 loose pistol rounds in my pack. Any and all ammo I have left will be packed in the car in hopes of making it in one piece to my BOL, if not, i'm SOL.

I carry the 12" Ontario Tanto for batoning, and I carry the KA-BAR to go on my chest rig. If I need a small folder to cut cordage or whatever, it's just easier for me to open my folder instead of having to open up my gerber to find the knife. Gonna take some more pictures of my survival kit and fire kit.

I have a mess kit that I can use to cook with. I'm considering buying a stove, but for now, to save weight and space, i'm going to stick with cooking over a man made fire. I'll post a picture of my mess kit as well. This is my "holy crap the sky is falling and I need to get out of the city" bag. I have an Eagle Industries 3 Day pack for situations such as floods or house fires. I should probably re-name this thread from "BOB" to "INCH" because I feel as if that's the way i'm going. As far as important documentation goes, I keep it all in the same area as my firearms so it'll be easy to pick all that up as i'm grabbing my firearms. I would either be grabbing my firearms because i'm never coming home or because I want to keep them in my car and prevent them from getting damaged or stolen and used against other people during looting. Everything else can be covered by insurance.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:41 pm

Mess Kit - I keep my fire kit inside my mess kit

-tinder sticks
-3 lighters
-fire striker
-weather resistant matches in their containers

Pelican Survival Kit - Case itself has paracord tied in a lanyard

-extra cordage
-wire saw
-small multi tool
-emergency blanket
-whistle with a compass
-bic lighter wrapped in half a roll of electrical tape
-extra matches wrapped in more electrical tape
-fishing kit
-assorted hooks
-weights
-two separate lengths of fishing line (i plan on making my own fishing rod out of a large branch or something)
-assorted band-aids

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 am

How much does it weigh with the pack, pouches, baggies, sacks, emptied?
And how much does it all weigh in total?
Because just looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised if the pack & sacks weighed nearly as much as the contents.

Also, how far to you have to get to your BOL? How do you plan on getting there? What's your backup plan?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:52 am

Murph wrote:How much does it weigh with the pack, pouches, baggies, sacks, emptied?
And how much does it all weigh in total?
Because just looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised if the pack & sacks weighed nearly as much as the contents.

Also, how far to you have to get to your BOL? How do you plan on getting there? What's your backup plan?
Right now it all weighs between 50-60lbs. As stated earlier, i'm still phasing out some of the heavy and bulky stuff for lighter items, so I will be cutting down the weight as time goes on. The furthest i've ever walked with a pack that heavy is about 20km. If I walk a steady pace and take breaks every hour, i'm go to go. As stated, my plan is to drive to my primary BOL. It's about a 4 hour drive. I plan on bugging in and using up all the resources I have at home and when I absolutely have to bug out, then I will follow my vehicle bug out plan. If I were to break down half way to my BOL, I have no issues walking the rest of the way. I can hunt and fish along the way and use my emergency rations if I need them. My GF would be taking my Eagle bag with everything she would need, but wouldn't be filled with half as much stuff as mine. She'd take my .22 and some ammo. I would have a couple other friends meeting us at the BOL and once we all got there, we would decide whether or not to stay or punch out further in the bush to our hunting site which is about another 80km from out primary BOL. It's hard to get to which is why I like the location. I've traveled to the location many times with my grandfather so I know the area well.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 am

What Murph was saying is that your pack and pouches might weigh quite a bit. If you dumped the contents of all the pouches and the bag itself, and weigh just the carrying gear and pouches, that alone would stack up a lot of weight. I was thinking the same thing. You have a lot of pouches and webbing and the materials are very heavy duty. That all adds a ton of weight. You could knock off 1, maybe 2 kg just by getting rid of some pouches and certainly by going with a lighter material. The way I see it, finding ways to lighten things up will result in your carrying more food. I would certainly carry more if I could.

Now, I use the ALICE system because it is cheap and durable. I do have a fondness for durable packs.

Just wondering, do you have utensils for your mess kit? Or means of washing or cleaning it?

Since this is heading towards an INCH bag, do you have a gun cleaning kit? Knife sharpener?

Cooking over a fire is my primary plan for now, but I"m becoming more convinced that I need to be capable of cooking and sleeping without a fire. While it is unlike I"ll need my own bag and gear any time in my life, if I do need it, being low profile is making more and more sense to me, and I'm learning to do it.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Yeah, i've got my KFS (Knife Fork Spoon) set for eating which is also kept inside my mess kit, just not pictured. I have two gun cleaning kits. One I use at home which is far from packable and one that fits in a Eagle Industries Horizontal GP Pouch.

Now that the meat of my gear has been acquired, i'm going to start putting together all the small items such as TP, dish cleaning supplies, ablutions kit etc etc. The pouches i'm currently using to keep all my loose items together do add weight, I know what you're talkin' about but for now it's all I have until I head back to MEC or SAIL for more lightweight gear.

My main goal right now is to drop weight/space and be able to carry more food and medical supplies, possibly even more spare ammo if need be. Ammo carriage isn't a priority for me at this current time as I highly doubt there will be a situation I come across where I need to bugout ready to fight, hopefully. I only started building my pack again about a month ago so i've still got a long way to go. Once I get out this weekend i'll have a better idea of what I can add/subtract from my pack.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:41 pm

SNAFU84 wrote:Yeah, i've got my KFS (Knife Fork Spoon) set for eating which is also kept inside my mess kit, just not pictured. I have two gun cleaning kits. One I use at home which is far from packable and one that fits in a Eagle Industries Horizontal GP Pouch.

Now that the meat of my gear has been acquired, i'm going to start putting together all the small items such as TP, dish cleaning supplies, ablutions kit etc etc. The pouches i'm currently using to keep all my loose items together do add weight, I know what you're talkin' about but for now it's all I have until I head back to MEC or SAIL for more lightweight gear.

My main goal right now is to drop weight/space and be able to carry more food and medical supplies, possibly even more spare ammo if need be. Ammo carriage isn't a priority for me at this current time as I highly doubt there will be a situation I come across where I need to bugout ready to fight, hopefully. I only started building my pack again about a month ago so i've still got a long way to go. Once I get out this weekend i'll have a better idea of what I can add/subtract from my pack.

It looks like your at the point of needing to not only look at what you need - but what you need to buy in lighter weights. This is a normal thing. We start buying "what we can afford" and then once it's all added up realize it's to heavy. The lighter you go the more it costs. But the old adage applies here "buy once, cry once". Start looking at your high weight items - backpack, sleep system, tent/shelter, metal items (firearms, ammo, knives, mess kit etc.). And try to find alternatives that are going to cut your weight. You can't just go out and buy whatever is the most heavy duty life time items. Again, they'll add up to more than you can comfortably carry.

Your backpack for instance. It probably weighs in around 10lbs. You should probably be looking for something that comes in the 5lb range. And probably something with less pockets. A traditional internal frame pack would fit that bill. And you can still find them in muted colors. Camo will cost you a lot more in a 5lb pack. Same goes for shelter. Your going to want that bombproof 10lb tent. But you "need" that 5lb durable tent that will work.

Because your loadout looks more like an INCH bag. Your going to have to make sacrifices in weight. That doesn't mean sacrifices in how well a piece of equipment will hold up. You'll just have to spend a little more on it. Troll the forums. Check out backpackinglight.com for more weight saving ideas. You'll be surprised with what you can get away with. Check out aluminum or titanium cook kits. Lighter weight knifes. Lighter weight firearms and ammo.

The best advice I can give you is to start making a list of everything you need and the weight associated with it. Don't buy anything until you've got that weight down to something manageable. Explore ALL of your options in each category. Perhaps even bring the question up on here in a new thread "I need a 5lb 2 man tent that will last me in this AO". And discuss the possibilities at length.

It takes a long time to put an INCH bag together. Here is my complete list for you to cull from. Not suggestion you get my gear. Just might give you a place to start from. I started with heavy duty military gear only to do what your doing - trading a lot of it out for lighter weight gear that will still get the job done. It may even spark something you've forgotten. It's ever evolving. And many items I have since culled. But you get the general idea. I split this up between backpack, chestrig and fannypack:

FOOD:
1lb Beef jerky
6-9 Mountain House Meals – As many as will fit comfortably.
24pk - Peach iced tea
/Fruit punch Crystal Lite
2 bags - Garlic salt and Johnnys seasoning
1lb Instant coffee
Splenda
Dried creamer
Dried squid for bait and eating
40pk - Trader Joe's Black Mango Tea

SHELTER:
Kelty Cosmic Down 0F sleeping bag
Poncho usgi
Klymit skeleton coyote x-frame pad or Big Agnes full size pad.
Marmot Trailight 2P tent
Emergency Thermal Blanket

COMMUNICATION:
CountyComm am/fm shortwave radio that runs 150 hours on one AA. http://countycomm.com/gp4light.html
2 - Midland GXT1050VP4 2 way camo frs/gmrs radios - headsets for both - runs off rechargable AA's.
2 emergency whistle Fox 40

HYGEINE/HEALTH/WELFARE:
Small Powder
Baking soda in film canister - as backup Toothpaste and acid med (I have acid reflux - BADLY)
1 toothbrush
Bug spray deet
Bag of tobacco and rolling papers and as many packs of cigarettes as I can carry. (I know. Terrible.)
Nail clippers
5 Zip lock freezer bags
1 Roll toilet paper
1 Bottle camp soap Dr. Bronners

FIRE:
1 4x4 ziplock with dryer lint and vaseline balls
2 Packs Waterproof Matches
3 Bic Lighters
2 fire steel - misch steel
1 zippo lighter

TOOLS:
Lexan full size fork and spoon
Czech Mess kit (Only outside container. Ditched the interior pot for weight savings.)
Wetstone http://www.ragweedforge.com/SharpeningCatalog.html
Handcuff key
Fishing gear - 50lb test braided line, hooks, small & medium diamond jigs, dried squid
12 speed hooks
1 Casio waterproof wristwatch - with compass, thermometer, etc.
1 Watch cover
1 pair of small EMT shears
1 Large sewing needle
12 AA NIMH rechargable batteries
Instapark 10 5w solar charger
21" Sven saw
Small compact binos
Duct tape - heavy weight and light weight for making bandages. (How much is to much? I have an inch of heavy weight wrapped around a credit card. And about 1/2 inch of lightweight wrapped around a credit card.)
Pad of paper waterproof
Carpenters pencil
Leatherman Multi-tool
P51 can opener
200ft 550 Paracord
300ft(?) 50lb test braided fishing line.
6 Plastic Zip Ties
6 Ranger Bands
1 Sharpie

TRAPPING:
12 - Professional grade snares.
3 - Conibear traps.
100ft Snare wire.
3 - Foothold traps.

WEAPONS:
(Haven't decided on how much of each ammo to take exactly. It's going to depend on weight.)
Broken shell extractor
Gas port reamer
Glock 357 with holster
AK74
3 AK mags
200rds 5.45
50 rounds 357
ESEE 5 survival knife/kydex sheath
Tactical rifle sling
Headlamp Ultrafire UF-H2 B Head light - runs 11 hours on one AA.
Foam ear plugs
Gun cleaning kit

PACK & HARNESS:
HPG conceal carry chest pouch. (Contains handgun/ammo/gps/flashlight/maps)
Gregory Z65 backpack
1 Multicam fanny pack as EDC (Contains multiples of fire/water/cordiage/fak/fishing kit/poncho/headlamp/emergency blanket/snare wire/mora knife)
Misc. Silnylon pouches to keep clothing and sleeping bag dry

WATER:
Nalgene with aluminum canteen cup
Platypus water bag 2L (This is only for backup. Only used in emergency should I lose other water containers.)
Camelback water 3L
Water Purification Tablets

ELECTRICAL:
3 micro photon II lights
12 AA Rechargeable Batteries
1 Fenix E21 flashlight - doubles as weapon light
2 Extra bulbs for flashlights
Samsung Galaxy S4 cellphone, 64gb micro SD card, and extra battery

CLOTHING:
1 pair Columbia hiking pants.
(Would gladly trade these for something lightweight in multicam.)
1 pair Columbia hiking shorts. (Would gladly trade these for something lightweight in multicam.)
1 synthetic Columbia hiking shirts.
(Would gladly trade these for something lightweight in multicam.)
1 Multicam Propper hunting shirt
1 Polarfleece Columbia jacket (Would gladly trade this for something in multicam or camo.)
Gen II ECWCS jacket multicam
1 Super lightweight down jacket with hood. This thing is a heater. Maybe weighs 8oz? Very packable.
Merrel Moab Ventilator boots or McRae sage green waterproof combat boots.
Mosquito hood
Sythetic baseball cap.
5.11 fleece cap
Perscription sunglasses.
Perscription glasses.
1 Bottom and Top Merino wool base layer.
1 set of Gloves leather tactical shooting style
4 Pairs of Wool Socks
4 pairs of lightweight synthetic socks
1 multicam neck gaitor
1 OD Green shamagh (doubles as towel)

NAVIGATION:
2 Compasses - Suunto and Silva
3 button compasses
Topographical Map
The map should include;

• Daily Traveled Work Route; your normal route to work

• Primary Alternate Roads (paved); your alternate vehicle travel route

• Secondary Roads (gravel or dirt); a back-up vehicle travel route

• TOPO map MGRS/UTM for compass or GPS use (terrain and waterways); a planned foot travel route

• Train Tracks (bridges across the rivers); for alternate foot travel
• River and Streams (covert); for foot travel

• Water Crossing Plans(boat and bridge locations); alternate ways to cross the water

• Water Drainage Canals (easier foot travel); for foot travel
• Storm Water Drainage Systems (covert travel); for foot travel

• Bus and Taxi Schedules; alternate travel
• Cache and Hold-up Locations; your preplanned locations

• Possible Supply Locations; hardware, outdoor and gun stores

Streetwise waterproof maps of Los Angeles, CA, OR & WA
Handheld GPS Garmin Etrex 20

BOOKS:
US ARMY Special Forces Medical Handbook (may ditch this for weight and just keep it on the thumbdrive)

WALLET:
Emergency cash (One to two grand.) Stashed throughout pack and self. Small bills.
Credit cards
ID
Insurance card
Important numbers - phones, addresses etc.
State and Federal licenses
Bank account numbers
Medication list

FIRST AID KIT:

1 quickclot or celox (i bought the celox it was cheaper)
1 Roll of Kerlix
1 credit card of 3 inch duct tape
1 israeli bandage
1 Kravat/Triangular bandage
1 small EMT-sheers
2 burn-jel
6 month prescription meds
1 Bug Spray
2-5x5 Mole Skin
10 Cough Drops
Triple antibiotic cream
100 Benadryl
100 Imodium AD
100 800mg ibuprofen (for use and trade)
100+ prescription pain reliever (for use and trade)
600 antibiotics (for use and trade)
1 camp tweezers
100 pill metamucil
2 large safety pins
3 Suture kits

8GB THUMB DRIVE:

-copies of id, med records, prescriptions, photos, survival guides, vital documents, cash, check books, backup files, insurance documents, birth certificate, passport, etc. If we had to leave the house and never return, this is a starting place to get our business going again and access our financial accounts. The envelope on the outside is a card that has a list of other things to grab on the way out. This includes the backup hard drives. pictures, favorite web sites, email addresses, addresses, phone number list, and scanned copies of personal documents. Document copies included are; house deed, vehicle titles, gun receipts, birth certificate, ID etc..

Important Documents Inventory:
Birth Certificates
Drivers License/Permit
Weapons Registration
Hunting/Fishing License
Concealed Carry Permit
Car Registration
Car Insurance
Medical Insurance
Military ID/ID Tags
Credit Cards
Training Certificates
Bank Information
Marriage License
Marriage Certificate
Social Security Cards
Military Orders
In Case of Emergency Contacts

I've also begun collecting every kind of military or free information on the net (pdf's) concerning everything survival and self sustained living.

Encrypted with Truecrypt

I've also begun collecting every kind of military or free information on the net (pdf's) concerning everything survival and self sustained living.

Encrypted with Truecrypt

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks moab! There's a lot of stuff in there I never considered. Most of the stuff I have right now came from idea's from other posts on here. As time progresses i'm sure my bag will too.

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:18 pm

SNAFU84 wrote:Thanks moab! There's a lot of stuff in there I never considered. Most of the stuff I have right now came from idea's from other posts on here. As time progresses i'm sure my bag will too.
If that's the case, you weren't reading the right posts...

Try here: Hall of Fame
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=89

Specifically: How to set up a 3 day pack
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 89&t=53448
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

moab

Post by moab » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Murph wrote:
SNAFU84 wrote:Thanks moab! There's a lot of stuff in there I never considered. Most of the stuff I have right now came from idea's from other posts on here. As time progresses i'm sure my bag will too.
If that's the case, you weren't reading the right posts...

Try here: Hall of Fame
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=89

Specifically: How to set up a 3 day pack
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 89&t=53448
Actually that last link is how to set up a "3 season day pack". Not how to set up a 3 day pack. But it's a hell of a read though. Also check out ODA's INCH bag post. He's got a long comprehensive list of everything you might want in an INCH pack. Or culled down a BOB. I always find it easier to start with a complete list of everything you "might" take. So I don't miss anything. Then culling it to my own needs.

But yes, by all means, check out the hall of fame. Especially for individual items that your trying to decide upon i.e. - tents, sleeping bags etc. etc. Additional advice is to use Google to search the ZS forums. It's much more accurate than the internal search function on the site.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:36 pm

As promised, some pictures of the tent. When I go to an area I know i'll be static for a couple days, I will definitely bring my tent, but for times when i'm gonna be on the move i'll most likely go with the 1 man tent or a tarp setup. Due to the fact that it was raining and went down to about -5 Celsius where I was during the night, I decided not to sleep in it because I wasn't 100% sure of it's resistance to water, so I just set my sleep system up in the back of the truck. My Neoair Trekker was comfy as comfy can be. I'm a side sleeper and usually get sore hips or shoulders when I sleep in the field, but this mattress kept me comfy. 100% better than the issued air mattress I normally use in the field. My sleep system worked really well at night. Sleeping bag was a Broadstone Microlite with a temperature rating of +7 degrees Celsius and a Broadstone Fleece Liner. If I slept inside of my bivy bag and not on top of it, it may have kept the heat in a bit better. As winter approaches, I am definitely swapping that sleep system out for a cold weather setup. If it got any colder I would have had to layer up on my clothing inside my bag, which I don't like doing. I wasn't really roughin' it this weekend, so I brought along my Eagle 3-Day pack with a pillow and a ground sheet just incase.

I'm 6' tall. The Ridgeway tent was able to hold me with ample head/foot space and enough room to store my Halftrack and my 3-Day pack with lots of extra room to store even more gear if I really wanted to. Setup was easy but tear down was a pain in the nuts because of the wind. When I get bored later on in the week, i'm going to set it up in the backyard and soak it with the hose to see how well it can resist water. I would rather find out it sucks when i'm in my backyard than find out when it's O'Dark Stupid and i'm floating away from my biv site, lol.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:53 pm

Sounds great! Hope it works out for ya man.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:28 am

A few updates and additions.

I decided to move my trauma kit into the top pouch and move my FAK into a more compact pouch. My original FAK container was too bulky. I'll list the contents of each in a new post after the update. I currently keep my FAK on the right side vertical pouch on my pack at the top and my tent body is stored underneath that still. I moved the pouch containing my Nav tools, katadyn hiker pro and my pelican survival kit with some extra cordage into the left side vertical pouch of the pack at the top above my tent fly. I also added an extra 200 feet of cordage and stored it on the outside of the pack, stuffed into the small external pouch at the bottom and secured with the horizontal straps of the side pouches.

Reconfigured the inside of the pack. I've got 3 days worth of socks, t-shirts and underwear in one dry sac and a secondary uniform/outer layer of clothing in the other dry sac. Located on top of that is my Air mattress and behind that is 1 full day of military rations. Not really a huge change, but I feel it's much more organized than my previous configuration.

At the time of my original post, all I had were my military rations. I had 6 full days of meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. It added way too much weight to my pack so i've started switching over to the freeze dried meals. I'm still deciding whether or not to buy Mountain House meals for my supper entree or if I should cheap out and buy some more of the Lipton side kick pasta dishes. I'm leaning more towards the Mountain House meals. For breakfast, i've kept the military ration packs and added 1 flameless heater pouch for each ration. I'm not a morning person, so being able to just toss a meal in the heater pack and have it heat up while I break camp would be much easier. I'll be adding extra goodies such as kool-aid mix, sugar, clif bars/energy bars, fruit snacks, hot chocolate mix, tea bags and such. I'll also be adding small cans of ham, chicken and tuna to add to my pasta meals, 1 can per meal. I'll vacuum seal 1 full days worth of rations together to keep it easier and all together. Each vacuum pouch will contain;

Breakfast entree w/ heater pack
Lunch entree w/ luncheon meat
Supper entree
2 packets of soup mix
1 pack of noodles
2 packs of fruit snacks
4 packs of kool-aid w/ sugar packets
2 energy bars/cereal bars
1 hot chocolate mix
1 tea bag
chewing gum

I'll also have a few coffee filters to use for pre-filtering water.

Right now i'm almost finished completing 4 full days of meals using this method with 1 extra full days worth of MRE's. So a total of 5 days. It will weigh a bit more than packing all my MRE's, but I will be getting a lot more food this way. Only draw back is these meals require water to prepare. So I will have to carry a 3L water bladder and 2 nalgene bottles and possibly 2 roll up nalgene bottles I can store inside my pack if I don't need them.

Next topic will have to be cooking. Currently, the only method i'm equipped to use is boiling water in a mess kit over a fire. My plan is to put the MSR pocket rocket on my christmas wishlist. I was thinking of askin' for a jetboil, but it's way too bulky and the MSR is much more affordable/packable. If I find out I don't like the pocket rocket, oh well, it'll be my backup cook tool and i'll spring for a jetboil. I've also asked for the MSR trail lite duo cookset. So i'll use the MSR to bring the water and meals to a boil in the pot, then place/hang it over the fire to simmer. Save fuel this way since i'll only need to use it to boil water once a day for the lunch entree which is the pasta sidekicks. For the soups, noodles and supper entree I can boil the water over the fire.

Obviously, the way my pack is packed, I won't be able to store all this food and cookware. So I decided to pick up a Tactical Tailor Removable Operator pack and attach it to the top of my pack. This is great for me cuz I can store my water bladder, my food and cookware and have the use of a day pack for foraging and what not without having to lug around my main pack. I haven't bothered to weigh it yet since i'm still not complete but I filled up my canteens, bladder and filled the empty spaces with other gear to compensate for the weight and walked around for a bit with it. For the half hour I had it on in the back yard, up the stairs, around the house, I was surprised at how comfy it was. It wasn't like walking on clouds or anything, but it seems to be well centered/balanced and I don't have to hunch over to compensate for the added weight of the food/extra gear. Once spring hits, i'll test this setup cuz I should have everything I plan on getting by then. I'll stay away from a winter bugout for now cuz i'd rather find out the hard way this doesn't work when it's warm rather than freezing. For my winter kit, i'll definitely need to ditch the MRE's. I find they freeze easy and in the winter time, i'll have plenty of snow to purify and cook with.

While waiting for the Operator Pack to arrive, I was worried it would stick out too much and add too much rearward pull on the pack but the connection system and shallowness of the pack help reduce that. The day pack fits snug. It doesn't shift from side to side or up and down so long and you sinch it nice and tight. I recently picked up another surefire battery carrier so i've got 2 of them totalling 12 batteries stored in my grenade pouches and an extra 8 CR123's in another battery case. I've purposely kept all my lights CR123 compatible to make it easier and to keep from having to carry 3-4 different types of batteries. My radios and GPS take AA batteries so i've narrowed my batteries down to 2 types.

Most recent purchase was the Princeton Tec Remix Pro. It's a pricey headlamp, but it has multiple illumination modes, takes CR123's and comes with the MOLLE/helmet/NVG connection adapter. I'll also be using this in the field for work, so it's not like I just dropped 70 bucks on something thats going to collect dust inside my pack.

First aid module next.
Last edited by SNAFU84 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SNAFU84

Post by SNAFU84 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:37 am

First Aid: Standard (items marked with a "*" indicate a future buy)
-Assorted Bandaids (large, medium, small)
-Assorted Gauze Pads (large, medium, small)
-x2 Gauze Rolls (white)
-Tweezers
-Scissors
-Neosporin
-Hydrogen Peroxide * (currently in my car kit)
-Moleskin
-Foot Powder (currently in my car kit)
-After Bite
-60 Zantac
-60 Robaxaset
-100 Tylenol
-Immodium *
-x4 Triangle Bandages * (currently in my car kit)
-SAM Splint *
-x2 Tensor Bandage
-Medical Gloves
-50 Cough Drops *

-this used to all be stored in a larger red first aid pouch. i decided to move it all over to a smaller pouch with pull straps and water resistant liners.
-i'll consider other over the counter medications to add at a later date and upon any recommendations.

First Aid: Trauma
-x2 ACS Chest Seal
-x1 4" Izzy Bandage w/ Mobile Pad
-x1 6" Izzy Bandage
-x1 6" Izzy Bandage w/ Mobile Pad
-x4 H&H Gauze
-x4 Quikclot Sponge
-x2 CAT Tourniquet
-Trauma Shears
-x2 Kerlix Rolls'
-x2 Gauze Rolls (brown)
-x2 Gauze Rolls (white)
-Medical Gloves

-The top right medical supplies in the ziplock bag is my small hiking booboo kit. It's got bandaids, gauze pads, mole skin, gauze rolls, gloves etc etc)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”