Inexpensive military surplus gear

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wolverine_173

Inexpensive military surplus gear

Post by wolverine_173 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

I recently picked up some Military Surplus gear that I am really impressed with and its fairly inexpensive so I thought I would share.

Austrian M65 Parka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG6QpdLegpM

Wool Gaiters and swiss mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cz-xFK2hs

German Flecktarn Parka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9T3sE64I8Q

Swiss Overpants and Austrian BDU Pants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COPiy6r9iFA

woodsghost

Re: Inexpensive military surplus gear

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

I have actually been thinking about a face mask and gaiters. Especially gaiters. Thanks for sharing!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

motman241

Post by motman241 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Where did you find all these great deals?

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 am

swisslink.com

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:36 pm

did the review so people can get an idea for sizes. that always keeps me from buying foreign military gear. I recommend buying one size larger.

And swisslink has good prices on shipping. I got 2 parkas 5 pants mask and gaiters for 12 bucks shipping

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 pm

I've dealt with Swisslink before and been very pleased. The great thing about a lot of the surplus gear is the selling price usually has very little to do with the actual worth of the product but rather what the reseller wants to make on their lot purchase. Dare I bring up the Swedish cook set that I was buying four for $20 a few years ago from Sportsman's Guide now look at them on eBay they're like $60 or $70 If I was a smart guy I would've been buying them to resell instead of just to collect and stock kits with. What about those vinyl Swiss Alpineflage ponchos Sportsman's Guide had them five for $15 a few years ago now the supplies kind of drying up. You can still find them around but now they're like two for $10 bucks which is still a fantastic deal if you haven't bought a few of them jump on it. Centerfire systems is where I last saw them.

Swisslink has some of those Yugoslavian canteen kits. If you're looking for a basic Bush craft canteen kit it looks like is a pretty decent set up for the price.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

madoka

Post by madoka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:51 am

111t wrote:Dare I bring up the Swedish cook set that I was buying four for $20 a few years ago from Sportsman's Guide now look at them on eBay they're like $60 or $70 If I was a smart guy I would've been buying them to resell instead of just to collect and stock kits with.
:shock:

Just paid $100 for a mine! :gonk:

111t

Post by 111t » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 am

madoka wrote:
111t wrote:Dare I bring up the Swedish cook set that I was buying four for $20 a few years ago from Sportsman's Guide now look at them on eBay they're like $60 or $70 If I was a smart guy I would've been buying them to resell instead of just to collect and stock kits with.
:shock:

Just paid $100 for a mine! :gonk:
:gonk:
It was actually 4 complete sets in like new condition plus 4 extra burners, 4 extra windscreens and 4 extra fuel bottles. I bought 2 or 3 kits of them. I gave a bunch of them away as gifts. Now I have to call all those friends and family and tell them that the stove I gave them is suddenly worth a lot of money and to take care with it.

The thing is... (And I don't want to offend you or anyone else that loves these cooksets) ...

I just don't think they're worth that much. They're nice to be sure. They're very robustly built. They transition well to use over a fire when you run out of fuel.

Partially my opinion is based on the fact that I paid $5 for mine but it's also based on the plethora of other options on the market today. The fact that they were cheap was an important feature to me.

For years I recommended that ledmark kit in my signature. You to get it for $20 and use it as is or you could upgrade and for a total cost of about $30-$35 you'd have a really nice kit. I actually got some of mine from Swisslink. Sadly it is no longer available. I did pick up a couple meta-50 sets from Swisslink recently. The pot set windscreens work with the Swedish burner so you might consider getting one of those as well they're slightly more efficient. They're not as good at transitioning to wood fire though.

Since the leadmark kit became unavailable I've been recommending the msr seagull pot and a liberty Mountain Westwind stove plus an aluminum windscreen. You can put that together for around $50 and it transitions very well to a fire. If you want to upgrade that I would consider instead of the liberty Mountain West Wind set, going with a clik stand stove with a built-in windscreen and a seagull pot.

The Seagull pots are also known as the msr stowaway series.

I used one of my Swedish sets just the other day...

http://youtu.be/Wjart7IgLNk
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”