BOB/INCH Bag resources

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

welpro222

BOB/INCH Bag resources

Post by welpro222 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Being a new member here, I would like to start a new topic on BOB/INCH bags. I believe we need a good topic on people explaining more about there bags themselves, not just what they have in them. We need a good resource for Bug Out Bag opinions.

1. Why did you choose the bag?

2. Is it what you thought it would be?

3. Is it comfortable with an average loadout (40-50lbs) or with a heavy loadout (whatever you can carry)

4. Would you sell it to try a different pack? If so, what pack?

5. Any thing else you would like add to help fellow preppers on there decision.

Also please list your height and weight so people can get a better idea of how it might fit on them.
Last edited by welpro222 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UPDATED List of Bags:
Mystery Ranch SATL
Kifaru ZXR G2
Kifaru AG2 w/ AG frame
Kifaru AG1
Kifaru Pointman G2
Kifaru EMR II w/ 26 Duplex Frame (on order coming soon)
USMC FILBE Assault Pack
Tactical Tailor Assault Pack
Blackhawk STOMP 2 Pack (Medical Pack)
LBT Medical Pack
Blackwater Assault Pack
Blackhawk Hydrastorm
Camelbak Motherlode
REI XT85

Das Sheep

Re: BOB/INCH Bag resources

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

1. Why did you choose the bag? I wen't with an ILBE. I have bought lots of bags and I still like my ILBE. I use it for camping sometimes (though I do rotate between other bags). I find it comfortable. Though I have body armor, I probably would not bug out on foot in it because its heavy, so the issues with the ILBE and armor are a non issue for me.

2. Is it what you thought it would be? Yep.

3. Is it comfortable with an average loadout (40-50lbs) or with a heavy loadout (whatever you can carry)? I think it is. I have done treadmill tests for lots of my bags, and they are generally all pretty decent at about 3mph. I have massively cut down my bags weight after my first 10 mile treadmill test(Bag, rifle, camel back full of water). Its about 45 pounds right now without water or fighting gear. A situation where I might need to 'bug out', to me, is one where you have to leave home on foot to avoid dying in a WROL situation, so moving fast and not getting tons of blisters is important. For me, based off my own experiences, I can not carry a very heavy bag very far (very far being like 30-45 miles) with any sort of speed and be in any sort of shape to resist. I am not sure such a scenario will ever come up, but if it is fun to think about and does give you an excuses to do some fun work outs with the bag on.

4. Would you sell it and get another one. Sell it? Nah. I may get another bag at some point, but that's mostly because I like buying bags. Its like an addiction. I have a bunch.

5. Any thing else you would like add to help fellow preppers on there decision. I think the ILBE is a great bag, and in its surplus $45-$100 price range its pretty unbeatable. There are some other bags I would really like to try but they are like $300+.

Also please list your height and weight so people can get a better idea of how it might fit on them. I am about 180lbs and 5'11" I am in fairly good shape and run ~6 miles 3-5 times a week. Sometimes further if I am running out doors instead of on la treadmill.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Good topic. I recently switched from using either a large ALICE or a Spec Ops THE pack to a GoLite Jam 50 ultralight pack. I've used it for backpacking, day hikes and camping.

I'm older and my body's busted up. As a result, I trimmed my kit and no longer needed a heavy pack. There's nothing too fancy about the Jam. One large inner pocket and a smaller one outside, with enough sleeves tucked throughout for hydration, the dinky stuff, etc. And it was on sale.
So far, yes. I've backpacked or hiked with it and used it camping. Nicely fits everything I need for a three-day outing.
3. Is it comfortable with an average loadout (40-50lbs) or with a heavy loadout (whatever you can carry)
The max load for the Jam 50 is about 30-35 lbs. Fine, as I don't carry more than 30 lbs total pack weight anymore.
4. Would you sell it and get another one.
I'll use this one until it falls apart. When that happens, I might try the ULA Circuit pack.
Check out it in more detail: http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx
Also please list your height and weight so people can get a better idea of how it might fit on them.
I'm 6'2" tall and weigh about 180 lbs. I've got broad shoulders and this was a bit of an issue, as is with most GoLite packs. I needed to get the largest size and it still took a few weeks of adjusting before the shoulder straps didn't feel tight.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm

I will mention 2 different bags.

a used ILBE

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab

Both it was about large carry capability, mine is an INCH not a 72 hr BOB

ILBE, was a compromise due to not having the money at the time for Mystery Ranch or others, but wanting to have a large capacity bag in case I did need it. Not the biggest fan of top loaders so liked the side zips the ILBE had to allow for side entrance.

Crew Cab, finally was able to afford it, and loved the modular load cells, as well as the adaptability of going from a day pack to large heavy load carrier

ILBE, I wasn't expecting much other than it being durable and able to handle lots of gear. It definitely was more than expected. For used Mil surplus these are pretty great packs.

MR Crew Cab, it met and surpassed my expectations. These are great packs. The pack is amazing in it's ability to change to fit different needs. The NICE frame also is great especially since it can be used with multi different packs from MR.

ILBE, no problem with 50lbs. I took mine up to 90lbs. While heavy, and something I would not want to hump all the time it was doable. I actually pack a lot of food into my INCH so know that a lot of the weight will drop quickly as I eat through the food. I would regularly hike my wooded back yard and bike trails in my neighborhood to make sure I was conditioned to carry such a heavy pack. By the end of using the ILBE as my INCH I probably brought it down to 80 lbs as I refined it's contents.

Crew Cab, no problem with 50 lbs. The NICE frame is an extremely comfy harness system. I have taken the pack up to 80-85 lbs and while very doable I wanted to lower the weight if possible. I have slowly worked the pack down to 68 lbs just for the ability to move faster and burn less calories on the move.

4. Would you sell it and get another one.
Well not sure why I would sell a pack then turn around and get another of the same one, I would just keep the pack and not go through the selling part. But I am guessing your meaning is would I buy it all over again.

ILBE, I have kept my ILBE even after getting a replacement for it. So I guess the answer would be yes, since I don't even want to sell it while I could, it is a great pack.

Crew Cab, definitely. A great pack, but don't sell the NICE frame you will need that for your next MR pack :wink:

*edit to add, LOL I just figured out the question was would I sell the current pack and get a different one. hahaha. No wonder I was confused. Nope I would not give up either pack. As mentioned even after replacing the ILBE with the Crew Cab I have held onto that pack. I do plan to eventually pick up other NICE Frame packs from MR but I would not sell off the Crew Cab to do so.

ILBE is a great step up from an ALICE pack for the budget minded INCH pack builder. ILBE's are getting lower priced and more affordable. Even if you don't need one now, keep an eye out for good deals and grab one up for an emergency back up pack or family member's pack. Something worth checking out if thinking or have an ILBE is the ZS thread ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame* http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=102898

Crew Cab is higher priced but about 1/2 that price is the price of the NICE frame, which the frame is an investment in other MR packs that use the same frame system. The Crew Cab it self is amazing adaptable pack. The ability to have load cells, gives the ability to have multi different load outs prepped and ready for different emergencies. You could have a warm or cold weather load, or hazardous chemical gear, or urban, or rural loads set up. This makes the pack easy to quickly exchange gear. As well the load cells allow you to easily get to gear quickly and separate it out in different bags. The CC is like the Transformer of packs, it is more than meets the eye.

I am 5'9" aprox 165 lbs
Both packs are adjustable. However, the MR NICE frame does come in 3 different sizes for both waist belt and yoke as well as custom XS and XL. There is an adjustability range for each of those.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm

welpro222 wrote:Being a new member here, I would like to start a new topic on BOB/INCH bags. I believe we need a good topic on people explaining more about there bags themselves, not just what they have in them. We need a good resource for Bug Out Bag opinions.

Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100

I chose the bag because a very trusted friend of mine has experience with them and we got a great deal on them.

The pack is actually better than I thought it would be though it is different than the American counterparts I've owned previously. It doesn't have traditional molle and instead has different attachment points on the exterior which are still useful for items like sleeping pad, tools, etc,. and also has side pockets that come in VERY handy for things like an IFAK or even external mounting of a rifle.

With 40-50lbs it's excellent! I've had up to 65lbs in it without expanding to it's 100L configuration and it felt great. At the end of a weekend, I hiked out 5 miles at around 4mph and didn't feel fatigued at all.

4. Would you sell it to try a different pack? If so, what pack?
The only thing I could go with over this is a NICE Frame MR pack of some sort. Honestly I'd rather have both and not sell this one.

I'm VERY impressed with the overall build quality and comfort of the Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100. I don't like the PLCE (side pouch) design but it is still my favorite internal frame pack I've ever used. The amount of adjustment is very nice and the amount of padding in the right areas makes this an easy pack to carry. It also comes with a very nice rainfly with terrible drawstring in it. If you're interested in picking one up, Grey Ghost Gear has them now, so wait for one of their killer sales to grab one super cheap.

I'm 6'3" 170lbs with proportionate upper torso/leg length. I'm confident this pack could work for you at up to 6'5"-6'6" tall without issue.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

kel

Post by kel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 am

I visit this site almost daily and have spent 100's of hours reading the posts. Great stuff by the way. After knocking around the woods, deserts, jungles, and every where else for some 40 years it's amazing what you can pickup from the posters on this site. Great bunch of people. I haven't posted much because most of what I would post has already been covered to a pretty good extent. But I thought I would offer my two on the OP post.

Today I have half a dozen packs....all milsurp, a couple of large ALICE, a Molly II,and several ILBE, I like all them for different reasons and applications. I've owned older cilvilan gear in the past, and still have some old worn out rucks, but I have no experience with the newer stuff. That being said my "go to" is the ILBE. If SHTF and I was forced to BO my situation would be INCH.
I favor the ILBE because it is affordable, rugged, comfortable, large, and is quite modular. I pack heavy and it carries great. I'm not knocking other gear, and there looks to be some great stuff out there from what I can see. I just like the ILBE ruck as it is every thing I wanted it to be and more, as are all my milsurp packs. I just prefer the ILBE over all of them. I wouldn't consider getting rid of any of them, as I use most of them for different situations and loadouts. They are all packed to some extent as I will be taking family with me.

If you haven't looked into milsurp gear you need to. It doesn't fit with everybody, and may not fit with you, or your BO situation. But take a hard look at it.

Well there's my two cents. When I get time I will organize my photos of my gear and post it with explainations of what I carry and why.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I use a Crux AK57. Lightweight, but very durable and almost waterproof. Disadvantage: The price.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php ... &product=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 pm

I keep my BOB in a 60L dry bag (sea to summit big river) and move it between several external frames as I test them. If I had to leave today, it would be strapped to a Kifaru duplex frame. I like it better then most externals because the back is flat, instead of curving around the wearer and thus is easier to attach cargo to. and the belt is the comfiest to date for me.

I've tested it to 70lbs on flat ground and am as happy as I have been with any pack more or less, but I tend to think a kifaru belt on just about any pack does almost the same thing (ILBE for example).

Part of me would rather have a large internal frame pack, but I just can't find one I'm in love with so for now it's the duplex. for backpacking I use a granite gear crown VC and love it, but I wouldn't want to depend on it long-term. I have the large REI internal frame that looks like an Osprey pack (XT 85 I think?) and might make more sense on paper for a BOB (comfy, huge, light, tough enough, handy pockets) but I'm just not in love with it.

my recommendations;

Load monster: Kifaru duplex
internal frame pack: Osprey or REI
on a budget: ILBE
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm

I started out with the ACU Molle Large Rucksack. It's bombproof. Carries a HUGE load. And can be found for only $50-$80. But is 10lbs and is a hideous camo color not suited for my intended AO (although you can find it now in multicam for about $80). I then decided to cut weight and move to a better camo pattern. So I switched to a 5lb. Gregory Z65 (in a tan color) with a multicam pack cover. That worked well. But when it came to getting all of my winter/cold weather gear in there it fell short a bit. I'm also a big guy at 6'3". So all of my gear is larger in one aspect or another.

Camo is very important to me. Partly due to my intended AO - woods of the PNW. And being an ex-Marine in a sniper and surveillance platoon. I know the importance of camo. For me (and I know many will differ on this) it's either one camo pattern or none at all. If you wear multiple camo patterns your always going to be wearing something that doesn't fit in with your environment. And thus why wear camo at all if your always going to be standing out in your environment. I chose multicam. As it fit my AO. And you can find just about anything you need in that pattern. Which can't be said for to many other good camo patterns. Even civilian ones. You might find clothes in that pattern but you won't find the pack and all your pouches and web gear etc. etc. in that one pattern. But with multicam you can do that. You can do that with older Woodland gear - but it's older gear. And you can do that with ACU gear but the pattern sucks. Multicam is the best of both worlds for me.

So then I purchased both the Eberlestock Dragonfly and the Arteryx Khyber 80. Both in multicam. I picked up the dragonfly because it expands into a massive meat hauler for hunting. But in the end it was another 10lb pack. And I could cut 5lbs with an equally comfortable Khyber 80 from Arcteryx. With enough room to fit all my winter gear. Here's a long review of that pack that I did a few weeks back:

http://knockdowndragout.org/2014/01/18/ ... icam-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the end it's really a choice of how much room you need, how much weight your willing carry pack wise, and what color is acceptable for your AO. And most important is it fitted to your size torso. To many people don't realize you need to get fitted for a pack. I suspect many of those carrying the Alice don't realize it doesn't really fit them that well. Because it's not adjustable and comes in a medium size only. Meaning a lot of folks that are larger than a medium are carrying all their weight needlessly on their shoulders. Instead of comfortably on their hips. Same goes for any other pack too. You've got to get fitted and adhere to that size in order to insure pack comfort. Which in the long haul really matters. Or your going to bash yourself physically for no reason.

Lastly, is cost. Many of us can't afford packs like this. I would suggest getting fitted and looking at the ILBE. I don't know it's size ratings. But it appears to be the best or at least parts of the best of both worlds. It's a decent camo pattern, it's heavy but doable, and it has all the bells and whistles of a modern pack - and it's CHEAP. If I was on a limited budget I would look into the Molle large rucksack in multicam or the ILBE. Both seem to be bombproof packs that will get the job done. Just be ready to carry an extra 5lbs. That might be better suited for ammo, water or food.

There is an old adage that applies here though. "Buy once, cry once". I've learned this the hard way. You get in a hurry to get out there with your latest gear. And so you start buying "what you can afford at the moment". When you'll be far better served by waiting, saving up, and getting the gear that you know your going to be happy with. Unless your a real deal hound. And can turn around and sell your old stuff at a profit or equal to what you paid for it. Your going to be disappointed and out more money than if you just bought what was the best gear in the first place.

I hope this helps even one person shopping for a pack. Or any other gear for that matter.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”