My EDC for your review.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeffcee

My EDC for your review.

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:43 am

Hey folks,
I'd appreciate any comments or advice on my EDC. This stuff is rarely more then 20 feet from me and lives in my laptop bag.

This is my sling. There are many like it but this one is mine. Mostly for entertainment.

Headlamp and spare batteries

Tools - Cheapo Multi tool, $5 in dimes, knife sharpener, Sonic screwdriver (appears to be a flashlight), Micro screwdriver set. The doan bar, mini flashlight and SAK are normally in my pocket if the bag isn't with me.

Multi tool spread out

Weather Protection- Im in Southern California, so sun is the primary concern. Hat, sunscreen and a shemagh

Hygene kit- wetnaps, tissue, floss.

emergency blanket and a couple contractor bags

Back up Platy bag (1 liter) and my beloved folding cup. Im thinking of adding a a Paracord Lanyard to the Platy.

My cook kit and food - gi cup and stove, bag o' food ( emergan-C, instant coffee packs, 2 instant oatmeal, cliff and granola bars.) Bad ass Badtz Maru spoon from Yogurtland. Be jealous.

all together

Electrician Gloves

Sharpie and postit

FAK is crushproof container I got for free from an online offer. Totally worth the deluge of spam that followed.

FAK Contents (please let me know if you think Im missing something here)

FAK Meds

BOAT

BOAT contents- snare wire, survival saw, tiny little knife, beeswax candles, Matches, waterbag, safety pin, 3 feet of paracord, some med stuff.

BOAT meds - Some have expired guess its time to clear these out. Im considering moving the first aid stuff from here to my FAK

water bottle- Nalgene Oasis 1 quart

That all fits in my laptop bag.
the REI Quantum messenger

So what do you think? Additions? Subtractions?
Last edited by Jeffcee on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

LittleQuick

Re: My EDC for your review.

Post by LittleQuick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Where do your extra batteries sit?
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 pm

You need a better multi-tool, homeboy. I've seen more than one of those (great neck, Fury, whatever brand they slap on them that day before they send them out) fold like a pair of socks when the pliers are used for anything serious.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey fellas,
LQ: they pretty much roll around in the bottom of the bag until the head lamp needs 'em. I may need a better system for that.

Travis: I hear you. The toughest duty they have seen so far is pulling the folding cup away from a fire when i tried to boil water in it ( it worked), but yeah, the saw on it is a joke. I count on my SAK for most duty. Im thinking a leatherman might be a nice replacement and Im open to suggestions on that one.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:26 pm

You EDC a stove... that's pretty dedicated.

I think your EDC had a greatly different purpose to my EDC so I'll simply recommend a real multitool and an IZZY
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Aus: Yes, I am hardcore :) the stove and cup doubles as a lunchbox inside my bag. I can throw a sandwich in there without it getting smushed.

Message received about the Multitool. I just found a great thread on here thats helping with the research.

At the risk of sounding stupid, whats an IZZY?

Thanks for the input.
Last edited by Jeffcee on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Jeffcee wrote:Hey fellas,
LQ: they pretty much roll around in the bottom of the bag until the head lamp needs 'em. I may need a better system for that.

Travis: I hear you. The toughest duty they have seen so far is pulling the folding cup away from a fire when i tried to boil water in it ( it worked), but yeah, the saw on it is a joke. I count on my SAK for most duty. Im thinking a leatherman might be a nice replacement and Im open to suggestions on that one.
For cheap and light, Ziploc will do you good. Paint the outside a bright color, and you'll never lose your extra bats in the dark. My old Petzl keeps an extra headlamp light on the back of it. Step-Father has one with extra light + batteries. Those are little beasts for sure.
Head over to the Multitool thread for some suggestions on what fits you. You'll see everyone scream, "Wave!" and "Spirit X" but figure out what is best for you. You may or may not need something that big. But you look like a Victorinox Spirit guy. They're relatively the same, but look around for what works for you.
Hygiene, why only floss? Get a toothbrush, use your shit multitool saw and cut that thing in half.
Why are you putting a lanyard on your platy? For ease of carry? Cause that's smart, I like that.
Check this place out for refills: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but you can always go to Walgreens and join their dealio and get awesome discounts on stupid medical stuff. Seriously, never thought I'd grow up to get so many band aids. I've been giving them out for the past couple months.

What does your bag look like?
And what do you think you should improve on?

Ninja edit: Izzy - Israeli Bandage

Samurai Edit: http://www.chinookmed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Israeli First Aid Dressing, they come in 4inch and 6inch flavours, and a 12inch abdominal dressing. But the 4inch should suffice for an EDC.

Basically it's a combination-trauma dressing that combines a blood sponge with a compression bandage with an easy to use closure, all in a tidy little vacuum sealed package.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 am

Fellas! Great info!

Ill look into the izzy. If I can get some training on it, It'll likely endup in the bag.

LQ:
Love the battery solution! doing it!

Honestly, I lost the toothbrush. no Idea where I put it. Sad too. Its been in my family for generations. Guess its time for a new one.

as far as the Platy: I'm thinking of punching eyelets in the upper corners and running some paracord through it to wear across the torso when full. If it doesn't work I'll be out 8 bucks and soaked from the ribs down.

Ill check out the Spirit. Thanks for the tips!

This is the bag I rock. Its the REI Quantum messenger (AKA The greyest bag ever) I do wish there were PALS on the side. Other then that, Im a fan.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 am

Just ordered the Izzy. those things are only $6!

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 am

Well worth it, I've got a heap of various sized Izzys in different kits and what not. I've also got one that I've designated as my training one. Every month or so I practice applying it to various body parts using one or two hands, right and left handed.
Last edited by aus.templar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

Aus, exactly! I don't want any gear I cant use when it matters! Skillz!

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm

I dig your bag, for MOLLE you can always purchase a panel or do it yourself. Practice, and then achieve your perfect bag.
Your Platy idea is awesome, I love it. Very simple. Another thing you COULD technically do is get a small stuff sack that has some eyelets or something in it already, some even have straps. Use it to hold your platy, and then also have the option to compress other things. -shrug-

I know I gave you the cheapo way to hold batteries but these days I use delrin safes, I love them, but I have yet to do a hard core review on them, but soon! I lost my flashlight with only one battery,

I'm ordering one today probably so review will be coming up.
If you want to order one pick them up soon, they'll probably be gone for good.
http://countycomm.com/batterylockeraaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I DO NOT SUGGEST LOOKING ALL OVER THE COUNTYCOMM WEBSITE YOU WILL LOSE MONEY.
Lol, I spend over 100$ EVERYTIME I LOOK THERE. I am literally filling up the shopping cart again. You have been warned.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Go to a dollar tree and stcok up on meds...$1 a bottle for your basics. Put 2-4 of each in a small bag. Always have benadryl...ALWAYS. Few things suck worse than having an allergic reaction to something and having nothing around to mitigate it.

Get a small fixed blade, or at the least, a dedicated folder.

Water purification tablets?

Throw a mini bic (or two) in your BOAT/Bag. I wouldn't rely on carb-board matches in an emergency.

That's all i could think of right now. But, for starters, looks fairly well thought out.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Moleskin? If you plan on doing a lot of walking, you're probably going to want something for blisters.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

When I see cheap multitools, I think about 127 hours... *shudders*

Looking like a good kit otherwise though. I carry work gloves with me everyday as well.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

A better multi-tool might be something to think about.

Pepto-to-go is something Pepto Bismol came out with that just kicks ass in my FAK. It handles upset stomach, indigestion, diarrhea and other yucky illnesses

Super Glue! I am a big fan of super glue! It works for all the things you can imagine, and it has a place in your FAK since it is great for sealing up cuts and wounds.

Other than those 3 ideas that's really all I can see that you might want to look into for your own EDC, otherwise if it fits you, go for it! :wink:
Learning is an ongoing process.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Things I would add.

At least one or two bic or mini bics. So small, cheap and durable its almost ridiculous not to have one on you. I buy them buy the big pack and toss one in random little pockets and crannies with my gear. The only firestarting gear I think I saw in your pack was the magnesium bar.

A small dedicated one handed folding knife. Doesn't have to be something big/intimidating or expensive. But something that will forever live in your pocket so you don't need to dig around for when you need it and don't need two hands to open. I even find a box cutter/utility knife to be handier than a pocket knife for a lot what I tend to use a knife for in an urban enviroment. Which are things like opening plastic packages, breaking down cardboard, stripping wires, sharpening pencils, cutting threads, cutting tape, etc.

Why dimes instead of quarters if you don't mind me asking? I just tend to see more "quarters only" machines around.

I am not a huge fan of those wire survival saws. Seems to be about a 50/50 chance of one breaking. YMMV. Have you used it yet?

A sharpie is great. But I'd throw a regular ball point and a carpenters pencil in there as well. Sometimes you just need to do something like sign a credit card reciept, and the cashier doesn't have a pen.

I wear contacts, so I carry fluid on me. But I've had friends get something nasty in their eye before and use my salene as an eye flush. I always carry some in my pack now. Just something to think about.

A small sewing kit can be handy. So can krazy glue.

Just a few suggestions, youre already better set off than most people!
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 am

Jeffcee wrote:Hey fellas,

I'm partial to the Gerber multi-tools myself, particularly the newer ones with the handles that won't pinch the shit out of your hand when you use the pliers. SOG's Powerlocks are good, too.
Just me, but I'd steer clear of the CRKT ZillaTool, unless you only need a pair of pliers, knife and screwdriver in a package twice the size of other multitools.
Lots of guys like Leatherman's various tools, and the advantage I'll concede to some Leatherman models is that you can access the knife blade and tools without opening the pliers, which is how the older/traditional leathermans are, as well as the Gerbers I like.

Pretty much just stick with something nice from a well-known maker, and you'll be fine.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Wheres the gaffer/duct/100mph/gorilla tape hiding??

Sewing kits can be as simple as a cut-down tube from a biro with needles inside and thread wrapped around the outside (thats what I carry)

As I've said in another thread, if you're likely to use your multitool a lot buy a decent one (mines a SOG Powerlock 62 for example).... However if you just want something to chuck in the BoB/GHB/EDCbag then don't blow a pay-check on it, something like a LM Sidekick would be ideal (and a lot better then a cheap POS that is more likely to fail at a critical time)

A dedicated knife as well as your multi-pick would be useful. A locker of some kind, one-handed opening if you can find one you like, as someone else suggested a 'boxcutter' type knife is looks less Crazy-Survivalist. There are in-expensive folding Stanleys out there.......Hang on while I find a link
Here you go
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-Sheffi ... lity+knife

Salt..... You can manage just fine without sugar but lack of salt will make you cramp, feel crap and (possibly) die.

I'll offer you this as my take on the EDC (both Bag and Pocket Carry) http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1946920
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Post by DriveInMutant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm

I may have overlooked it, but maybe consider a small roll of tape. Electric or Duct/Gorilla wrapped onto a card.
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

LQ: not doing me favors by sending me to that countycomm site. Whole lot of "want" going on there. My wallet hates you.

Angel: Good tip on the benedril and lighters. Id like a fixed blade in there. My options, without buying one, are: a cold steel bushman, a cold steel true flight, and an old japanese widdler thats about 2 inches long. the first two options seem like too much knife for this bag (even though the Trueflight is pretty flat). also Im not sure what constitutes a concealed weapon.
I hate the way purification tabs taste, but Ill through a few in. yech.

Towanda: Moleskin has been added. Can't believe I forgot that. Thanks!

Soworbeyegib: Dimes because Ill never spend them unless I have no other choice. I got the saw as a gift and have used them before. they suck, but I look at it as a heavy duty snare also. its my laptop bag, so there is office stuff like pens that I didn't photograph also. The Saline and sewing kit are great Ideas! Thanks!

Tookie: Pepto is a good tip. Ill pick that up with a little tube of super glue. thanks

Travis: thanks for the info!

Forge: You have no Idea how much gaffer tape I have. Cant believe I forgot that also! Thanks for that link!

Drive: Two votes for tape! thanks!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”