Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:Hey everybody, I've got a question/situation and I don't know precisely what to do about it.

For the last 13 years I have been a runner/jogger/marathoner etc. I have been essentially injury free during that time (occasional shin splints). My right heel/foot is very sore almost causing me to limp. My older brother diagnosed me with Plantar Fasciitis (he isn't a doctor, but he is a seasoned IronMan athlete). He listed the symptoms and everything fits except I can't understand why I only have it in my right foot and not my left.

Anyway the various running/exercising forums all have different opinions on how to treat. So I turn to this forum for informed opinions.

I'm kind of freaking out because I have taken it easy for a couple of weeks and I'm up 9 lbs! But it hurts to run so I guess I'll have to augment with more strength training.
Plantar fasciitis sucks. I've had it to varying degrees in both feet (sometimes together, sometimes not). There's lots of information on the web about the condition, most treatments are probably going to be a combination of some of the following:

1. Decrease the amount of running you do. Not what you want to hear, but guaranteed to help. Maybe swim or use a rowing machine for cardio for a few weeks? If by 'take it easy' you mean you're only running 40 miles a week, that's probably not easy enough.. :wink:
2. Stretching. Use a band or towel (or a curb) to stretch your foot before and after exercise, as well as before you go to bed and before you get out of bed. Hit the Googles for techniques, but it's basically a calf stretch, which also stretches out the plantar fascia. Stretch each foot 10 times for about 10 seconds per stretch.
3. Ice your feet after exercise. Helps with inflammation. You can freeze a water bottle and roll the bottom of your feet across it, this serves a dual purpose of stretching and icing. Actually feel pretty good, IMO.\
4. Use tennis balls or another object to roll out the bottoms of your feet.
5. Orthotics or surgery in extreme cases. I don't have any experience with either of these options.
6. Alleve to help with inflammation.

I've personally used all of the above techniques (minus the surgery and orthotics), and they all work to a greater or lesser degree. Using them in combination is best. I consider plantar fasciitis something that I am going to have to live with, but can manage, kind of like arthritis I suppose. Sometimes my feet won't hurt at all for a few weeks, sometimes I'm damn near hobbling. If it's really interfering with your life, you should probably see a doctor or physical therapist about it instead of trying to manage it on your own.

Good luck!
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Ice your feet after exercise. Helps with inflammation. You can freeze a water bottle and roll the bottom of your feet across it, this serves a dual purpose of stretching and icing. Actually feel pretty good, IMO.\
Great idea - thanks for your input.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm

the_alias wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:Or you all can quit being weenies and do pushups on dumb bells and do alternating rows after each push up :rofl: very good for core.

I've been doing poorly with the work schedule fluctuating and having a pretty girl at home that I like spending time with. Going to the gym next two mornings and doing a good bike ride on Sunday.
Only weenies make excuses for their lack of training ;) !!
:lol: Fair point.

Hit the gym pretty hard this morning and was saddened by my ability. Nothing like sucking at something to motivate me to get back at it. Told the GF to kick my ass out of bed in the mornings and make me go. I was doing one of my standard cross fitty types, and had an embarrassing time of the 3 reps of 10 pullups part. :vmad: :vmad: Not cool. It's on like Donkey Kong.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

Ran 2 miles to the gym (10min miles), worked out for half hour, walk/sprint/walk/sprinted home, 10.5 min miles on the way back. Weighed in right at target weight (200) for 5th week in a row.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Well now that I'm put of the Army I'm getting back in shape. Quit smoking and on my second week of the cornerstone program at our local crossfit.

As long as I can stick with it with work and school ill be good to go shortly.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:27 am

Posted this over in the "other" fitness thread but here goes.
My buddy/coach opened up his gym in Columbia. It's AWESOME>. Kettle bell workout area, big open area with mats, large bay doors, archery range. Pics to follow.

Anyway, he has a big kettle bell area and a couple leg machines. I kicked a kettle bell work out and did some chin ups and single leg squats. After years of not doing chin ups I churned out 3 sets of 5. I did single leg squats on the order of 3 sets of 5 on each leg.

Then I worked on with a young guy on his jab. He was choo-chooing, not fully extending his arm, no foot pivoting and zero circling. Fixed all that. I <3 boxing.

I'm now able, without anyone bitchin' at us, to hold weapons classes. Stay tuned, first up: Defensive Tomahawk.

ETA: Funny story. There were a bunch of adults sitting around watching the kids class. I asked the coach why more people weren't working out and just sitting around. He says "Some people unwind after work. We kick the crap out of each other and lift heavy things to unwind." Yeah, true dat was my reply.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Chris@MTCT wrote:Well now that I'm put of the Army I'm getting back in shape. Quit smoking and on my second week of the cornerstone program at our local crossfit.

As long as I can stick with it with work and school ill be good to go shortly.

Good job on both counts. 3.5 years since I quit and it's still tough. Wait till you get the dreams where you smoke and you wake up feeling super guilty :vmad:

I found crossfit addictive and just a bunch of fun. I like competition, especially against myself!

Jealous as hell RG! I want that gym
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

New gym!
Archery
Kettle bell ZONE!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

get yo chin up bar and some bumper weights and git it
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 am

Ran a little 1 mile loop in my neighborhood 8:53 on the mile time. This is probably the first time I have ran any distance since October.

sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok, I'm not big on endorsing miracle food or anything, but I've been eating this stuff for a year and a half and thought I'd share a positive review.

http://www.pureformulas.com/raw-meal-ch ... Kb77R.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(dunno that site, linking just so you all can read the info. I buy it at work with coupons and shit)

I don't like special diets (but I'm also not a dietician or in many ways very smart). I eat a lot of all kinds of food, but I know I'm deficient in general of some vitamins and minerals. I used to do muscle milk when I was working out all the time, but always had a nagging feeling that I was eating a bunch of bad chemicals. I started looking for alternatives and found this stuff.

It is more of a meal replacement according to the label, and I also do half portions (1 scoop not two, in almond milk) because 2 scoops is like drinking concrete and I don't need that much protein.

Anywho, it's got good shit in it, it is made from plants and seeds and stuff and not a bunch of unnatural chems. You all can read for yourself the nutritional facts and compare to whatever else. I like it because I feel better after a workout with a glass of it, and I feel like it's not garbage. Um, drink it quick because even with one scoop it gets thick fast. I prefer the choc and coffee flavors, but the chai is ok. Vanilla is vanilla. You get yourself two half used ones of choc and chai and then mix the two and you've got a party. They also make just a straight protein powder supplement if that is your thing.

/eta
I should note I'm not interested personally in building a lot of mass/body building. I'm a person that trains for general fitness and to be toned/not chubby. I do strength training and cardio and just aim for 'healthy and functioning' and being able to pick up shit and carry it when I need to. :)
Team Beards&Irons 2013

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:03 pm

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=5212#more-5212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crossfit mini-story from MSW (a generally interesting website for firearms stuff)

I've been better and hitting the gym at least 3 times a week. Usual is a half hour of weights or crossfitting and half an hour on an elyptical on ass whooping setting and/or some rowing machine.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

Still havent had a smoke since the first week of August. Hitting the gym at least 3x a week and thinking about going on a run this morning.

Oh and Im under 200lbs now for the first time in 3+ years.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Great job man, especially on the smoking. I haven't had a single one; I think April will be 3 years? 4?

I still have the dreams where I smoke and wake up feeling guilty. I don't really think about having any while awake though, even at high stress. The first year or so sucks the most, but stick with it.

I've been sick for a week and haven't hit the gym in as long. I'm also not doing well in general on the food intake part of the equation and it is showing. Getting motivated to work on that a bit. Going to be more veg oriented in Dec and I'll be going vegan for January. In February work gives us a physical (voluntary). Based on results I can get up to 30% off from purchases. 20% is standard, and the extra 10% over a year makes a difference. I got burned by 1 point on my cholesterol this year. No cholesterol for a month should fix that shit right up.

Me going meatless is a stretch, me going no half and half in my coffee is going to be pretty unbelievable :crazy:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Hanzo

Post by Hanzo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:55 pm

I skimmed through this thread and its good to see people making fitness a priority. I would like to mention something that took me a long time to learn and that's this "Don't workout for today workout for next year". You're not gonna be as strong or as fast as you want to be ever because it's never enough. But slow and study wins the race in fitness. Set yearlong goals, accomplish them, repeat. Here are a few points with keeping in mind the concept of working out for next year.

1. Rest - make sure you have down time and off days to recover. This isn't you being lazy. Your body needs to recover to rebuild itself.
2. Listen to your body - This isn't a license to be a punk or ditch workouts, but if you're truly hurt try to work around the injury or take sometime off.
3. Not every workout has to kill you - I love a killer workout. I like to sweat and feel like a beat after I'm done, but I don't do that everyday. I schedule my workouts to have push days (hard days), normal days, and off days. This schedule is flexible (to a degree) if I'm hurt, but I WILL get the work in somehow.
4. Eat right - Just ask yourself "is this good for me" before you shove something in your face. If the answer is yes eat it, if no put it back. You won't get super lean this way but you will drop some weight if you don't already do this.
5. Eat enough - don't expect to sustain a good workout or workout routine eating 500 calories a day. This is not a license to shove your face whenever you feel like it. Figure your calories using a calorie calculator and stay close.
6. Have a plan - Find a work out routine you like and do it. With a plan you'll be able to track your progress and improve the area you need to in a logical way. BUT not having a plan and working out is better than having a plan and not working out.

Anyway just my two cents. If someone already mentioned all this sorry.
-Okonkwo stood looking at the dead man. He knew that Umuofia would not go to war. He knew because they had let the other messengers escape. They had broken into tumult instead of action. He discerned fright in that tumult. He heard voices asking: 'Why did he do it?'
Chinua Achebe

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 am

Good recommendations Hanzo!

It's a new year and this seems to be the time people try and make new goals to get off their ass.

I've started back at my Krav and crossfit gym. Couldn't be happier and it feels like going home. Also I'm sore as shit and am having a hard time getting down the stairs to walk the dog :lol:

Made it through Dec as a vegetarian without issue. Eggs and cheese feel like cheating.

I'm now 7 days into vegan. I've decided not to go complete moron and have still eaten mayo and a pancake that had some egg in it. I've cut out all the dairy and am finding solutions to get around any animal stuff. It's going to be a long month but I'm building character :lol:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XlH7as17tc#t=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of a long vid but I laughed quite a bit. Rick Taylor probably developed the program.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:28 am

Forgot about this awesome TLO thread.

Anyway, took my chin ups from 5 per set to 7 per set after years of trying to break a mystical barrier. Anyway, got 21 out in 3 sets.

Did the Army APFT and scored a 236. 47 pushups, 48 situps, and my 2 mile run was 16:23. I can't run. :gonk:

Total 236 and I'm "In Compliance" for weight. In other words I'm over weight but my 19.5" neck saves may ass.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:New gym!
Archery
Kettle bell ZONE!
Always glad to see a new fitness facility open, but my god that looks like a group of people just rolling around doing "giggle-fits" on that very soft & comfy mat, not individualized hard-core training. Maybe it's a new type of rolly-polly training that caters to young metrosexuals and bored housewifes? ... Another PlanetFitness? :lol:
I like the archery range, though. Cool. 8-)

ZHT-1A

Post by ZHT-1A » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Ok, here is what I did in Afghanistan (for those of you who never deployed or been to the field for extended periods of time, you become a PT freak, alcoholic if available, or find religion).
Run a 5k.
Power walk the same 5k.
Then Ammo Box PT! Get two .30cal ammo boxes, fill them with sand. Then, WHILE WALKING, do a series of arm exercises with the ammo boxes (shoulder shrugs, curls, over head lifts etc). Once you feel the burn, do another half dozen or so (whatever you can do). Then do a set number of pushups (your capability) on top of the ammo boxes, breaking the plane. After the first ones, alternate with some kind of ab workout (crunches, hello dollies, leg lifts etc).

Alternate, get a weight bar, and carry it at port arms, and work in other exercises into your routine.
Trying to survive the American Zombie Consumerism Culture.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 am

steppenwolf wrote:
Always glad to see a new fitness facility open, but my god that looks like a group of people just rolling around doing "giggle-fits" on that very soft & comfy mat, not individualized hard-core training. Maybe it's a new type of rolly-polly training that caters to young metrosexuals and bored housewifes? ... Another PlanetFitness? :lol:
I like the archery range, though. Cool. 8-)
Ha! Missed this one. Ummm, before you judge those pictures are of a 7-10 yo martial arts class. Give it a rest. The girl you see leading the class is the 4 time state champ of SC for her division in grappling.

The mat is for MMA. Sorry, I'm not kick boxing and grappling on a concrete floor and neither is anyone else that wants to train for any length of time.

The school is Team 1 Martial Arts & Fitness at 535 Clemson Rd, Columbia, SC 29229 (803) 462-3488, facebook: https://www.facebook.com/t1mafit.net . I tell you what, any time you want to stop by and say I'm a metrosexual or tell the owner he caters to rolly polly work outs and bored house wives, feel free. Seriously, the lesson will be brief and free. If you opt for speaking to the owner, let me know when and I'll bring my popcorn. Or since your so hardcore you can workout with me then attend one of my full contact boxing classes, see ya there. Really, anytime bro. :clownshoes:

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:41 pm

http://monderno.com/training/stop-fooling-yourself/

I haven't been keeping up with a routine like I should :vmad:
I can do better
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:37 am

Simple one I did this morning:
5 Rounds of:
400 meter run
10 Renegade Manmakers w/ 2 x 25 lb DB's
10 Pull-ups

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Awesome thread - I got hooked in by the post Doc did back on page one about the USMC PFT. I can see why he was suggesting that the first class pass is the better goal - I decided to give it a go just to see how awful I was now so I could appreciate improvement - and I got a comfortable second class pass for my age. :shock: I've been working out this summer but nothing exceptional, ya'll would run me into the ground so fast.

So, now I've got a new goal of upping my score about 26 points, and working up to doing pull-ups. Has re-inspired my working out.

All your fault, Doc! :P Thanks!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Return to “Training”