Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So, does any of you put grip tape on your weapons?

I have been practicing with my handgun more and more lately. I noticed that my grip starts to suffer after several repeated shots. Therefore, the end result suffers as well. I tried Hogue slip-on rubber grips, however, it made the gun feel only slightly grippier, but way larger, and I did not like it.

Then, while researching this issue, I came upon Travis Haley pro-tip where he talks about grip-taping all his handguns. So, I decided to try it. However, everything I saw on line done by other people looked like shit. I wanted mine to give me practical advantage that I wanted and still look somewhat OK.

So, that is what I did. I purchased Skateboard Grip Tape. Right of the bat, I did not like it. It was too much like sand paper and looked the part. I searched for alternatives, and went to Home Depot. In their Paints department I found 3M Grip Tape. It looked and felt much better. Kind of feels like rubberized sand paper.

To create templates for my die-cuts I used trace paper, and #2 pencil to get a perfect outline. Then, I cut out the templates from the trace paper.

Then, I traced the shape onto the back of the grip tape.

Once I was done, I carefully cut the shapes out.

The, I peeled of the backing and placed the die-cut on the grip. I used the left over backing to over the edges. Don't use your bare fingers to do that.

And this is what I ended up with. Success! It feels and looks pretty good!

I like it so much, that I added some grip tape to my AR mags.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

yes, on my sweet skateboard.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Think that looks damn nice.

My interest would be does the grip grab or would it cause faster wear and tear on covering garments?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am 

That looks nice. I wonder how it wears over time?

I have gangstered up forward grips on some AR's. This is to hold activation switches and so forth. Looks like crap but works just fine. I normally use a tennis racket sleeve instead of tape. A tennis racket is designed to see a lot of handling and seems to hold together just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well, I am curious about that as well. Though, it does not fell nearly as abrasive as skateboard tape. Being this is my range gun, it resides in the holster on my war belt. Thus, it does not come in contact with any garments.

I am more curious how it handles abuse, sweat, and occasional oil drops. On the other hand, skate boarders and construction workers abuse this product a lot more by stepping on it and rubbing against it with their footwear. Time will show. But from what I've seen, application of grip tape on a weapon is pretty much a common practice.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Yeah I use it

I'm the dumbass on the right, you can kind of see it on my AR grip.

I didn't do it as fancy as you; on both weapons I just go around the back of the grip and sides, leaving the front open. I used to have it on my carry sig, but it scwatched up my wittle sides too bad :lol: and got some stippled rosewood instead. Tape will snag on some fabrics of shirts more than others (I dunno what it is, but this one mountain hardware shirt I have sticks like glue to it).

Anyway, I recommend 3m grip tape. My hands get sweaty sometimes, and the tape helps a lot.

I want a pic of Crypto skitching behind Braxton's SaudiCool BMW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm 

I use it on the top of all my pistols. My G19 doesn't have any on the sides, but as soon as I get a G17, that same stuff is going on the sides and the top. It is cheap and it works.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm 

Quote:
My interest would be does the grip grab or would it cause faster wear and tear on covering garments?

Yeah, it does. But when you need that gun, being able to hang on to it becomes exceptionally important. That's why I don't really care that I'm tearing holes in cover garments every few years. Same thing with pocket clips and pockets. Don't care that I tear up the edges of my pockets because carrying a light and a knife is far more important to me than pants are.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 pm 

Get to a cycle shed, they will have grip tape for racing handle bars. Self adhering and sweat resistant, you can buy it by the meter. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

For tactical shit, I wear gloves, and haven't ever had a problem keeping hold of my weapons. Factory A2 grip and fore end (or MOE) on my AR; factory hard plastic on my Sig. Have some Hogue grips for the Sig around here somewhere; they worked too.

For CCW...I'll let you know when I live in any one of the other 49 states. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 pm 

Jeriah wrote:
For tactical shit, I wear gloves, and haven't ever had a problem keeping hold of my weapons. Factory A2 grip and fore end (or MOE) on my AR; factory hard plastic on my Sig. Have some Hogue grips for the Sig around here somewhere; they worked too.

Gloves are deceptive. Don't trust in their retention factor. If its not in your hand, your skin, you cannot be sure its in your possession.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

PackLemming wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

Gloves are deceptive. Don't trust in their retention factor. If its not in your hand, your skin, you cannot be sure its in your possession.

Gloves are required wear for everyone in theater. Smart too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:55 pm 

Blacksmith wrote:
PackLemming wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

Due to mis use of finger prints and alleging war crimes with planted evidence no doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 am 

PackLemming wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
PackLemming wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

Due to mis use of finger prints and alleging war crimes with planted evidence no doubt.

...or, you know, so people don't burn or cut their hands on stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:17 am 

Quote:

Now how would it look if I leave fingerprints behind when planting WMDs? Kind of defeats the purpose of going to the trouble of disabling my RFID chip does it not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 am 

Blacksmith wrote:
Quote:

Now how would it look if I leave fingerprints behind when planting WMDs? Kind of defeats the purpose of going to the trouble of disabling my RFID chip does it not?

I KNEW IT!!!!!

in other news, I wonder if 3M makes colored grip tape?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

sigboy40 wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:
Quote:

I KNEW IT!!!!!

This thread got weird, fast.

Quote:
in other news, I wonder if 3M makes colored grip tape?

http://shop.ccs.com/product/model:11136 ... origin=pla

Other colors available. Not 3M but hey...if it works...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 pm 
BANNED

It sucks balls.

I shoot my pistols predominantly bare-handed. I have rather gruff hands, and grip tape still sucks to shoot bare handed. Tears my skin up. Hurts quickly. Shooting will be worse with a flinch or pained hands than with simply fatigued hands.

I would only use grip tape if I was wearing gloves, and for any important pistol duty, I'm not gonna be. I'd stipple the frame before I used something as coarse as grip tape.

When I used grip tape for that short time, my clothing always got caught on it. It'd stick to it like glue. Printed horribly, and when I twisted and turned, crouched or knelt, the shirt just made it painfully obvious that "HEY, DUDE HAS A GUN RIGHT THERE. EVERYONE LOOK. GUN UNDER THE SHIRT. IT'S A GUN," so it was a major turn off.

Oh, and good luck with grip tape rubbing against that pasty soft love handle under your shirt.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 pm 

JTNieman wrote:

Oh, and good luck with grip tape rubbing against that pasty soft love handle under your shirt.

Please stop watching me......I'm attached to my pasty soft love handles...

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:19 pm 

On the 4th gen glock I find it plenty grippy. I do put some on the sides though where my left thumb goes, and where my right index finger goes (when not on trigger). Really helped when I was getting started to make sure my hands were in the same place everytime and also to show new shooters where their hands should be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 pm 

I had grip tape on my duty sidearm, but had taken it off after awhile. I wouldn't mind so much had a my uniform shirts be full length sleeves. My arm kept rubbing on the taped panel and it was getting to be irksome as i have a tendency to rest my arm on the holster when standing still and when walking my swinging arm brushes over the gun grip. Tape helped a bit on the the range though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 am 

Just go ahead and take the soldering iron/ wood burner/ dremal to it and be done with it. I'm getting a better dremal next month and Im going to clean up the lines on my 17 and 19 a bit.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

When not running an RTF2, yes, I use grip tape.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dave_M wrote:
When not running an RTF2, yes, I use grip tape.

Same here.

My hands have oil or grease on them most of the day, I use grip tape on all my office guns.

MOD wrote:
The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Quote:
Official warning for posting a picture of himself, wearing a unicorn mask, while being blown by two naked women. You can't technically see any Parts, but it's pretty obvious what's going on.