Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:10 pm 

Here's my story:
My fiancee is a damn good shot. She is not afraid of guns and she loves shooting. We have guns in the house including one on her night stand. I have had a CCW permit for years and I carry everyday. I say all if this to paint the picture that she is used to guns, good with guns, and not at all afraid of guns. Truth be told she's a better shot than I am.
My problem is she refuses to CARRY a gun.
Her reasons are:
1. she doesn't want to change to way she dresses. She will never wear a belt so a hip holster is out. She never carries a purse, so that's out as well. (Her phone case holds her DL and debit card)
2. She doesn't want to lug around a heavy gun, but she hates shooting little mouse guns like the LCP. She says the mouse guns are to small to hold onto.
Her favorite gun to shoot is my EDC a Bersa Thunder. 380 double stack. It is a good fit in her hand with low recoil to keep the sights on target.

Sooo.. I need a way for her to carry a mid size gun that is so unobtrusive and comfortable that she will carry every day.
Ideas and thoughts?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashbang_Holster/Welcome.html

Bra holster.....she doesn't have to change a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

CC only makes sense if the person is sufficiently invested in the concept that they want carry every day. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

I know that sounds obvious, but it's like getting someone to quit smoking. Until they want to, all the logic and reasoning in the world won't make a whit of difference.

With that out of the way, I have to ask: why is it so important to you that your GF carry? I'm not judging. I'm just asking you to explain your thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:35 pm 

We looked at those. Let's just say she's not built for that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:

With that out of the way, I have to ask: why is it so important to you that your GF carry? I'm not judging. I'm just asking you to explain your thoughts on this.

For the same reason it is important that she wears a seatbelt. I pray she never needs it, but I want her safe just in case.

Besides, its not just me. She WANTS to carry. She just wants to carry in a way she likes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

check out this ladies vids, she goes through a ton of options you might find suitable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=watch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 pm 

Does she wear the skinny girl jeans, or could she jam a pistol down them in the AIWB position? If they're too tight, it's going to look like when Mac dates Carmen on Always Sunny -

I'm going to go ahead and guess that she's not going to be interested in a fanny pack, which is the only other option I can think of. She wants to carry a mid sized gun, but not on a belt holster and not in her purse. Sounds like she wants a car without those pesky wheels, ya know? I don't like dressing around my gun sometimes either, but it's important to me, so I do it. Crypto (if memory serves) didn't like dressing around his gun, so he got a smaller gun.

Bottom line, she has to commit to carrying the gun she wants and possibly change up the wardrobe a tad, or be okay with a smaller gun and keep wearing the clothes she likes. That's just kind of the way it works; carrying a gun comes with consequences and annoyances.

She could also just get a bigger purse.

DannusMaximus wrote:
Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Short answer? There's nothing you can do. Long answer? You can't make her carry. You can ask, but the more you ask, the more problems it will cause.

let me rephrase that. She says she doesn't want to carry because _____. Have you considered the she might just not want to carry a gun? This sounds to my practiced ear like the "I have a headache" of CCW.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:42 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
Have you considered the she might just not want to carry a gun?

i think Doc is onto something here. she knows how important it is to you, so she doesn't want to crap all over your dream (of having her carry all the time). she just doesn't want to herself. kind of a "sure, i'd love to be a vegetarian. just make me a tofu that tastes like a steak first." situation.

-john

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:54 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Yeah, my wife has done the same. She has her CCW, but she doesn't like the idea of carrying. She shoots, she learns, she just doesn't carry. She wears clothes that would allow her to carry easily. She chooses not to.

Would I like for her to carry? Yes, very much so. She knows this, I don't press the point. She'll carry when she's good and ready to.

I'm not saying that your gf is in the same mindset as my wife, but if your gf really wanted to carry, she would. I've carried in clothes that you shouldn't be able to, because I wanted to.

Women are coming around to the idea that they need to provide for their own safety a little more than in years past. But it's a slow process. My Grandma carries daily, and has for several decades. My Mom doesn't. My Mom shoots, but doesn't carry, though she is beginning to change her mind on that front. On the flip side, the men of my family have carried for as far back as history allows. Not skipping a single generation.

Women have always been in the sport of shooting. But it's only recently gaining popularity, and traversing many of societies "cliques". Keep her interested in the sport, let her decide when she wants to make the carry commitment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 am 

Vanniek71 wrote:
check out this ladies vids, she goes through a ton of options you might find suitable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=watch

We have seen that. I am wondering if anyone has had actual experience with those methods. Looking for first hand pros and cons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 am 

Power Fail wrote:
Does she wear the skinny girl jeans, or could she jam a pistol down them in the AIWB position? If they're too tight, it's going to look like when Mac dates Carmen on Always Sunny -

I'm going to go ahead and guess that she's not going to be interested in a fanny pack, which is the only other option I can think of.

No, she is very much a girlie girl. Dresses like a 'lady' always dolled up. She ain't gonna carry a fanny pack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:39 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
let me rephrase that. She says she doesn't want to carry because _____. Have you considered the she might just not want to carry a gun? This sounds to my practiced ear like the "I have a headache" of CCW.

I tried to explain in my OP. It is not me making her carry. She WANTS to carry (she has looked down the wrong end of a .45 before)
When someone was out side messing with our cars at 3am she was the first one to grab her gun and she stoop upstairs ready as I investigated the noise.

She is frustrated that she can't find a carry method that works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Should give you a couple of ideas. If she is fond of skirts there is a garter type holster. Might not support a full frame pistol but perhaps something like the new S&W Shield?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If she wants to carry how about a holster on a necklace. Attach a kel tec 380. Maybe 20 ozs around her neck.
I'd love to see the look on a muggers face when she starts reaching up her shirt and he's thinking boobies but get a pistol in the face. Priceless.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 am 

Maybe a belly band style holster hiked up right below her chest. Seems like it would be more comfortable than the bra holster thing, but not being a woman it's hard to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 pm 

Regular Guy wrote:
If she wants to carry how about a holster on a necklace. Attach a kel tec 380. Maybe 20 ozs around her neck.
I'd love to see the look on a muggers face when she starts reaching up her shirt and he's thinking boobies but get a pistol in the face. Priceless.

Priceless. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:45 pm 

We talked about the belly band. Something to look into.

I even thought of these by 5.11 but not sure how easy it would be for a woman to carry and draw with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:53 pm 

The one thing that got Lara to seriously consider a full sized handgun was her getting mugged. It was a time of lesser means, just prior to my service for Metropolis.
We were living on the Queens/Crooklyn border. She just got home from work. I was at a company sponsored pistol range.
She was struck from behind at the front door. She was beat down onto the ground. She ended up with a black eye and some lost teeth. We spent some funds getting implants to restore her smile. The fear and memory of the event is still with her as the perp wasn't caught. No closure.

Pain changes people's minds. Pain Pain motivates better than reason. It is unfortunate but true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:56 pm 

http://violinonline.ru/index.php?key=co ... irl&page=1

This page has some pretty good solutions, the 2nd one down seems pretty viable for a bersa.

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:21 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Well, since it's just finding the right garment for her to wear, and not trying to convince her of the idea...

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/concealed-carry-for-the-petite-woman/
post on another forum from a woman that carries
a couple of compression undershirts and undershorts

Is she against a shoulder holster?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

I am starting to think I may have to buy her multiple ways to carry...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:21 pm 

Get a big cardboard box and get ready to fill it with holsters.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 pm 

Kommander wrote:
Get a big cardboard box and get ready to fill it with holsters.

There goes MY fun money for the month...