It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recommend a .22
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:11 am 

For something real cheap.

Go for that used Jennings j-22.

It may never function right but it will be cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 am 

MacAttack wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
Ah. I'm too lazy for the hour warmup etc. I'm a "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy.

Most successful(lucky) men make time for that "hour warm up".
And ALL men are the "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy's".

That sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

A real successful man buys a damn quality handgun that doesn't require them to bake it in the oven like Martha Stewart in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

UndeadInfidel wrote:
MacAttack wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
Ah. I'm too lazy for the hour warmup etc. I'm a "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy.

A real successful man buys a damn quality handgun that doesn't require them to bake it in the oven like Martha Stewart in the first place.

I agree. How would one get the hour warm-up for a CCW? Bake it for the hour before carrying? That's an hour out of my day, every day. How does that work for a gun in a home invasion? What about polymer frame guns?

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
I agree. How would one get the hour warm-up for a CCW? Bake it for the hour before carrying? That's an hour out of my day, every day. How does that work for a gun in a home invasion? What about polymer frame guns?

Offer to bake them cookies and hope they don't notice you put the gun in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 am 

Creepinjeep wrote:
I like the Browning Buckmark, Pretty accurate lil pistol.

I picked the Buckmark.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am 

Mr.Rogers wrote:
Creepinjeep wrote:
I like the Browning Buckmark, Pretty accurate lil pistol.

I picked the Buckmark.

Well done. My Buckmark is the best 22lr pistol I've shot. I honestly used to laugh when people said they hunted with a 22lr pistol until I shot it, and now I can see what they're talking about it. Any squirrel within a 50yd radius of me will be DED. Waiting for the suppressor and rds to arrive before I can post pics of the customization I've done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm 

Doc Torr wrote:
On the Rugers: not a very friendly take-down and cleaning process. Definitely worth looking into if you are a fan of 3D puzzles, but not if you want the kids helping you clean them. Or want to reassemble one without watching a youtube help vid.

So true with the new models. It seems you put in and take out the magazine between each step. It's insane!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So we went shopping for my .22 today. The Browning Buckmarks were nice, but the grips on the ones here were just too big and nobody had any with smaller grips. I am too impatient and too unsure of the end result to purchase grips separately, so we didn't go with the Buckmark. While we did see plenty of Rugers, the only Mark III I saw had a pretty large grip, also. I also handled a P22 and did not like how it felt or that the mag release is a lever at the bottom of the trigger guard. I may be female, but I also do not want to have to bake it for an hour to make sure it fires reliably! :lol:

Anyway, I ended up getting a Ruger SR22. I like Rugers, I like how it felt, and I liked the sights. It was light and my small hands fit around it well with a bit of room to spare, so I don't think my kids will have trouble with too wide a grip. I didn't play with the take down yet, but if it is too wonky for the kids, I can let them practice take down on my Sig Sauer .380, which comes apart very easily.

Thanks a bunch, all! After reading your recommendations and doing some research, I felt very confident going into the store and had a very good idea of what I wanted and what to check out. I handled several handguns before choosing the one I bought and I think you guys gave some great recommendations (except for the P22, I'm with the guys that didn't think much of that one; it just did not feel solid enough to me). We're still considering the Buckmark for a future purchase.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 pm 

Congrats on the Ruger SR22, I've been eyeing one myself at the local gun shop for some time now. Let us know how it is after you get some range time. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 am 

UndeadInfidel wrote:
MacAttack wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:

I must have missed wide with my attempt at a joke.

A wasn't referring to a firearm. I thought men got "lucky" in other ways.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:32 am 

I use a walther p22. it hasn't failed me yet, although it is picky on ammo. I use remington yellow jacket or hornady for target. it's one of my CC pistols

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am 

Anianna wrote:
So we went shopping for my .22 today. The Browning Buckmarks were nice, but the grips on the ones here were just too big and nobody had any with smaller grips. I am too impatient and too unsure of the end result to purchase grips separately, so we didn't go with the Buckmark. While we did see plenty of Rugers, the only Mark III I saw had a pretty large grip, also. I also handled a P22 and did not like how it felt or that the mag release is a lever at the bottom of the trigger guard. I may be female, but I also do not want to have to bake it for an hour to make sure it fires reliably! :lol:

Anyway, I ended up getting a Ruger SR22. I like Rugers, I like how it felt, and I liked the sights. It was light and my small hands fit around it well with a bit of room to spare, so I don't think my kids will have trouble with too wide a grip. I didn't play with the take down yet, but if it is too wonky for the kids, I can let them practice take down on my Sig Sauer .380, which comes apart very easily.

Thanks a bunch, all! After reading your recommendations and doing some research, I felt very confident going into the store and had a very good idea of what I wanted and what to check out. I handled several handguns before choosing the one I bought and I think you guys gave some great recommendations (except for the P22, I'm with the guys that didn't think much of that one; it just did not feel solid enough to me). We're still considering the Buckmark for a future purchase.

Good choice. Post up a review when you get some trigger time with it. I'm interested in the SR22 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 am 

MacAttack wrote:
I must have missed wide with my attempt at a joke.

A wasn't referring to a firearm. I thought men got "lucky" in other ways.

It went way over my head.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I will post more once I have a chance to fire it. I handled it some today and love the slide action. On my Sig Sauer .380, I have to work pretty hard to get the slide all of the way back and it requires me to fully grasp the top of the slide. I am able to "finger and thumb" grasp the rear of the slide on the SR22 and pull it back fully, so no chance of getting a finger pinched in the ejection slot.

Some things you guys might be interested to know:
The SR22 has a visual inspection port to see if the chamber is loaded without moving the slide.
It comes with the standard small grip and a larger grip and it is relatively easy to switch the grips
Both rear and front sites include easy to see white outlined dots
Rear sight is adjustable
The trigger guard is oversized so you should be able to use the firearm even with gloves on or if you have really big fingers
The hammer spur is grooved for easy manual cocking if you want to start firing in single action mode
Magazine release works from either side of the gun, so is great for lefties and righties
Magazine disconnect is designed to keep the gun from firing when the magazine is removed even if there is a cartridge chambered
It does have a slide stop (my Sig Sauer does not)
The safety can be operated from either side of the gun and is also a decock. If the hammer is decocked using the safety, the hammer is held away from the firing pin as it is released without having to manually block it.
It came with two mags and a factory supplied locking device
The manual says the gun can be safely dry fired without damage as long as the gun contains an empty magazine

I did a takedown of the SR22 and found it very simple and straight forward. I was also able to get it back together easily (I don't seem to have the strength or dexterity to get my Sig back together myself and generally require my hubby's help with it).

So far, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I will let you guys know how it fires as soon as I get a chance to do some shooting.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 pm 

Good choice, you'll enjoy it for many years!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Is it weird that I feel totally amped because I finally got my Sig Sauer back together all by myself? :lol:

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:22 pm 

Anianna wrote:
Is it weird that I feel totally amped because I finally got my Sig Sauer back together all by myself? :lol:

Next step... blindfolded :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:08 pm 

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Belair56 wrote:
[I have never had a FTE or a FTF with it

I find that very hard to believe. The sig mosquito is notoriously unreliable from everyone else I know thats ever owned one.

Why did you polish the ramp if you didn't ever have a FTE or FTF?

It was a recommended by the experts on Youtube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 pm 

PistolPete wrote:
Anianna wrote:
Thanks all, I will check out every one of those.

In the meantime, does anybody have any opinions regarding the Bersa Thunder Semi-automatic Pistol .22LR?

I've got a Bersa 22, and at the price point the Ruger or Browning is a better gun. The Bersa is nice and small, but the trigger isn't great, the safety is clunky and it won't feed reliably with bulk ammo. It works fine with high velocity (more expensive) stuff, but the one I have won't cycle with either Federal or Remington bulk 22 ammo. And mags are $28 and hard to find.

If you want something small like that check out a Ruger SR-22. It's pretty close to the same size as the Bersa (the Ruger is a bit bigger, but it's in the same class) and is going to be more reliable with all ammo types and it comes with 2 mags.

Pete,
I had the same problem. Then one day I sprayed Break Free straight in the breach, racked the slide a few times, slid in my mag and my picky Firestorm 22 ate Federal 550s all day long. It just likes them wet...almost dripping. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Another Ruger Mark III fan here. If you do two mods you can greatly improve it's trigger and usability. First is install Sam's bushing $11 delivered (google it.) It will allow you to remove the magazine disconnect. This does two things. It makes take down easier as you don't have to swap the magazine in and out and two it allows the magazine to drop freely without having to pull it out. The second mod is the Volquartsen sear. It will take the trigger from 6 pounds down to under 2 and make it much more crisp. There is a whole kit you can get that replaces the hammer and other parts and that is what I did but by all accounts just the sear is responsible for most of the improvements.

With those changes my Mark III Hunter model is extremely accurate. I added a cheap Bushnell Red Dot to it and have a blast shooting with that on as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 am 

Ruger Single Six with second 22 mag Cylinder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

As is normal, day late and dollar short: for anyone else looking for small frame 22, Ruger Bearcat bottom in photo) will fill the bill perfectly. My 4, 5 and 6 yo grandchildren handle it easily. Single action means you only get shot once. I disagree with a 2lb trigger on a semi for trying to teach children! I really believe that is an accident waiting to happen.

Mister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

Any sub compact ones? I do love revolvers though. It would be amazing to see a sub compact .22 revolver though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:24 pm 

Marxist wrote:
Any sub compact ones? I do love revolvers though. It would be amazing to see a sub compact .22 revolver though.

they're not quite as amazing as you might think;
IIRC these were available in .22 WMR and .22 LR.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next