Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recommend a .22
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:53 am 

All of the above recommendations are awesome. I however will throw a Walther P-22 on the table. ONLY if you are looking for a .22 that gives a good feeling in form, function and features to a full sized semi-auto handgun. In my opinion the P-22 is a good introduction to the world of semi-auto handguns. Including the occasional simple fix problems like clearing a FTE and FTF's. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:06 am 

homerj109 wrote:
I would also recommend the Buckmark, accuracy is good, decently priced and from what I hear they are easier to take down than a Ruger.

this ^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

thesupremeking wrote:
All of the above recommendations are awesome. I however will throw a Walther P-22 on the table. ONLY if you are looking for a .22 that gives a good feeling in form, function and features to a full sized semi-auto handgun. In my opinion the P-22 is a good introduction to the world of semi-auto handguns. Including the occasional simple fix problems like clearing a FTE and FTF's. :lol:

I wasn't a fan of the P22. We picked one up for my little brother, and it was jamtastic. The controls were somewhat counter-intuitive, unless you plan on moving to a larger Walther. An occasional FTE/FTF would be okay, but with anything short of CCI minimags, it was FTF city with that thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 pm 

Doc Torr wrote:
thesupremeking wrote:

I wasn't a fan of the P22. We picked one up for my little brother, and it was jamtastic. The controls were somewhat counter-intuitive, unless you plan on moving to a larger Walther. An occasional FTE/FTF would be okay, but with anything short of CCI minimags, it was FTF city with that thing.

No kidding? I had one for about 3 months. I liked it ok, however I did shoot CCI stingers the whole time. I did like that it felt more like a real gun in features and less like a pellet gun. It obviously didn't do too much for me since I sold it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

thesupremeking wrote:
No kidding? I had one for about 3 months. I liked it ok, however I did shoot CCI stingers the whole time. I did like that it felt more like a real gun in features and less like a pellet gun. It obviously didn't do too much for me since I sold it. :lol:

Ammo choice was HUGE for that thing. I'm not a fan of most Walther controls either (seriously, who the fuck puts the mag release AS PART OF THE TRIGGER GUARD!?!?!) but the ammo thing killed me. My favorite fodder to date is Remington Golden Bullets, and it wouldn't esat those without choking like Tony Romo.

I wouldn't recommend an SA revolver either, for the simple fact that while they make great target guns, they lack any transition into a fighting gun. I'd like one someday in double-deuce, but not as a trainer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 pm 

Got my wife a Walther P-22 to get her set up for larger semi-autos. A great little gun, I haven't had any issues with ammo.

(I love you)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 pm 

The first handgun I ever fired was a six-shot S&W .22LR revolver that my father found under the floorboards of a house he was helping tear down. Sheriff said it was a clean piece, so he got to keep it. I've hit targets with it at a little over 100 yards. I'd have to check it out to see what model it is, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:17 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sheepdog-Z wrote:
Got my wife a Walther P-22 to get her set up for larger semi-autos. A great little gun, I haven't had any issues with ammo.

That puts you in the minority. Congrats on getting one of the good ones. What ammo did you use in it?

Polley wrote:
The first handgun I ever fired was a six-shot S&W .22LR revolver that my father found under the floorboards of a house he was helping tear down. Sheriff said it was a clean piece, so he got to keep it. I've hit targets with it at a little over 100 yards. I'd have to check it out to see what model it is, though.

I got a chance to shoot a .22 Scandium "Airweight" S&W something. 3" barrel, eight rounds, decently accurate, and double action. I have a feleing the price was about double what a decent MkII/MkIII goes for, but if I found one for under $400 for a model with a 6" barrel, I'd sell my Hakim to have it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
Sheepdog-Z wrote:

That puts you in the minority. Congrats on getting one of the good ones. What ammo did you use in it?

Polley wrote:

I got a chance to shoot a .22 Scandium "Airweight" S&W something. 3" barrel, eight rounds, decently accurate, and double action. I have a feleing the price was about double what a decent MkII/MkIII goes for, but if I found one for under $400 for a model with a 6" barrel, I'd sell my Hakim to have it.

The S&W we have is a Model 17-4 with a 6" barrel. Double-action, accurate, six rounds...

Also, my uncle used to have a Hakim -- my father said they went out and shot cinderblocks one day. Both said it was pretty awesome, but a little on the loud side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 am 

Dont buy the bersa, they arent bad but for the money you could get a neos,ruger, or save a lil and get the buckmark. There not terrible but i wouldnt want one.

I do have to ask how old are the kids?
Older kids would appriciate the ruger more because its simply accurate. A 1911 shooter may go for the 22/45 model as it aproximates the grip angle and pointability of a 1911. I give it a b+ on overall preformance

Younger kids might favor a neos, it looks like something straight outta Halo or Mass effects game worlds, and there is something to be said about keeping kids interested in shooting. It is accurate enough for paper work, but not real field work [i'm a hunter first so ymmv]. I rank it at a c overall, not bad just average

The buckmark is more in the adult realm, its fairly expensive at $400 but well worth it if you want an accurate 22 handgun. it sits at an A on my ranking list

All that being said the ruger mark guns are the only I've owned for an extended period of time, and still ache for parting with it. It spent more time in the woods than all guns but my shotgun combined. She however is still being used by a younger guy that traps so atleast she gets out there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm 

You specified inexpensive so I'll second the Heritage Rough Rider.
I have one and it performs flawlessly and it's accurate.

If you want a semi and $$ is a big issue I have had good experience with a Phoenix Arms .22
No jams, tight groups, low price. The grip is almost too small for my hands but it fits my wife well.
In spite of the grip I can put a full mag into a 6" group at 20 yards in under 10 seconds. I sure can't do that with my 9mm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm 

Doc Torr wrote:
Sheepdog-Z wrote:

Bulk box, a couple different kinds including some remington hollow points that I originally bought for my 10-22... they weren't heavy enough to reliably cycle the 10-22, but they still did fine in the P-22. There were about 3 fail to feed out of a box of 250 rounds of that HP. The rest (a mix of aguilas, Blazers and white box something...) were perfect.

I don't know if it matters, but I treated the P-22 with frog lube pretty heavily and helped it penetrate in a warm oven for about an hour prior to first shot. I love that stuff.

(I love you)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sheepdog-Z wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
Sheepdog-Z wrote:

Bulk box, a couple different kinds including some remington hollow points that I originally bought for my 10-22... they weren't heavy enough to reliably cycle the 10-22, but they still did fine in the P-22. There were about 3 fail to feed out of a box of 250 rounds of that HP. The rest (a mix of aguilas, Blazers and white box something...) were perfect.

I don't know if it matters, but I treated the P-22 with frog lube pretty heavily and helped it penetrate in a warm oven for about an hour prior to first shot. I love that stuff.

Ah. I'm too lazy for the hour warmup etc. I'm a "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm 

I have a Ruger mk2 cant beat it fires almost everything I feed it, I also have a SigSauer Misquito Its not bad not as accurate as My Ruger though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 pm 

Sheepdog-Z wrote:

So after this thread I called up my buddy that I sold the P22 to and he did in fact verify that it is a "diva bitch" with ammo. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:35 pm 

Belair56 wrote:
I have a Ruger mk2 cant beat it fires almost everything I feed it, I also have a SigSauer Misquito Its not bad not as accurate as My Ruger though.

I have a Sig Mosquito as well, and while it's a decent analog for full size sigs, it's very very very picky with ammo. It really doesn't like much besides CCI Minimags in my experience, even after I took out a dremel and smoothed/polished the feed ramp. The slide design is flawed in that it doesn't have a deflection block directly above the chamber, leading to a lot of failures.

In fact, I think the very first round I fired from mine was a FTE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:32 am 

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Belair56 wrote:

I have a Sig Mosquito as well, and while it's a decent analog for full size sigs, it's very very very picky with ammo. It really doesn't like much besides CCI Minimags in my experience, even after I took out a dremel and smoothed/polished the feed ramp. The slide design is flawed in that it doesn't have a deflection block directly above the chamber, leading to a lot of failures.

I hate the Sig Mosquito almost as much as I hate actual Mosquitos. What a god-awful trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:30 am 

AKFTW wrote:
I hate the Sig Mosquito almost as much as I hate actual Mosquitos. What a god-awful trigger.

Yeah my Buckmark makes the mosquito feel like a pos. I can still be accurate with the mosquito, but it's certainly more challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 am 

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Belair56 wrote:

Sorry, a bit off topic but what dremel attachment and compound do you use for polishing? I have some ramp polishing planned in my near future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 pm 

Maverick299 wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
Belair56 wrote:

Sorry, a bit off topic but what dremel attachment and compound do you use for polishing? I have some ramp polishing planned in my near future.

Pretty sure it was this one: http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories ... roduct.php

That and some of the standard red polishing compound that came with the dremel.

It was just a mosquito and not a super expensive 1911 or something, so I didn't heed all the web warnings that said to do it by hand with high grit sandpaper (2000 or something?). I actually reshaped the ramp on the mosquito with one of the cone shaped sanding bits as it had a 90 degree step at the top of the feed, which kept square shaped rounds from feeding properly. Then, I polished it up with the polishing bit. I'm pretty sure one of the factors in minimags working with that gun is that they have a very round nose.

Anyhow, the dremel method worked well to reshape and polish it to a mirror shine. I have pretty steady hands for that kind of work so I didn't break anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

On the Rugers: not a very friendly take-down and cleaning process. Definitely worth looking into if you are a fan of 3D puzzles, but not if you want the kids helping you clean them. Or want to reassemble one without watching a youtube help vid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 pm 

Maverick299 wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
Belair56 wrote:

I polished mine with a dremel tool and a small wire wheel, I also polished it with 2000 grit wet or dry, I have never had a FTE or a FTF with it I use Aguila ammo and CCI's and also used Winchester, dont care for the trigger and the fact it comes with just one magazine...............

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm 

Belair56 wrote:
[I have never had a FTE or a FTF with it

I find that very hard to believe. The sig mosquito is notoriously unreliable from everyone else I know thats ever owned one.

Why did you polish the ramp if you didn't ever have a FTE or FTF?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:09 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
Ah. I'm too lazy for the hour warmup etc. I'm a "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy.

Most successful(lucky) men make time for that "hour warm up".
And ALL men are the "lube it, shoot it, clean it" kind of guy's".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next