It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 am 

Hey guys.

I have decided to pick up a .22 revolver for plinking use.

I've been looking at Smith & Wesson, Taurus or Ruger. Can you guys point me to any other companies that make a nice .22 revolver?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Before anybody gets bitchy, I did use the search function and came up blank.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 am 

Hmm... Charter?

also North American Arms, if you're into thos lil ones

Fuck you.

That is all.

Ethan- Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
Logic- a two-syllable word for "cock punch with a wrecking ball to the groin of fun".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:46 am 

I have a couple of Heritage Rough Riders. The fit and finish isn't as nice as my Ruger Single Six, but they shoot POA at 15 yards without fail.

They also cost half of what the Ruger did.

I picked one up a handful of years ago as I gave my Ruger to my brother and missed having a .22LR/.22WMR convertible. It was $200 OTD and I figured I couldn't go wrong. I didn't. It goes to the range with me every time I go, and I spend most of my time making empty shotshell hulls dance at 10-15 yards.

I liked it so much that last year when I decided I needed a 10/22 I couldn't help but let another one follow me home. It had limited edition Gadsen Flag grips on it and just looked so lost and helpless. Now the hard part is choosing which one to shoot when they go to the range with me. The happiest medium I have found is shooting one then the other over and over again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 am 

Colt, Dan Wesson, H&R, Omega, Iver Johnson, Puma, a lot can be found. I find single action to be slow and not much fun. I personally rock a taurus 94 stainless 9 shot 22 and can use the same speed loaders with my H&R 9 shot sporter I think they may fit into the 9 shot smith and wesson revolver too but I have no personal experience with those. Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.

AK_Stick wrote:
Pretty much always be a need for people who can kill people, or work on stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

IronKnuckles wrote:
Colt, Dan Wesson, H&R, Omega, Iver Johnson, Puma, a lot can be found. I find single action to be slow and not much fun. I personally rock a taurus 94 stainless 9 shot 22 and can use the same speed loaders with my H&R 9 shot sporter I think they may fit into the 9 shot smith and wesson revolver too but I have no personal experience with those. Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.

How accurate are the H&R and the Taurus, comparatively?

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.
Its not a revolver, but my Beretta Neos has been absolutely fantastic. I am a terrible shot, but I own the target bull at 15 yards and keep it in the circles at 25 yds. I actually feel like a better person when I shoot it. (Sorry, I ripped off that last line from Nicholas Cage in Family Man). Here's a pic:

I do have an H&R 922 revolver in .22 that was made in the fifties. It is a great revolver and I have put over a thousand rounds thru it in the last five years. Its been in the family for over fifty years. You'd have to buy it used, but there are several on gunbroker.com for less than $200, like this one:

922 on gunbroker

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an RG23 or any pistol made by "RG". These were last made in the 80s and are universally recognized as unmitigated crap. They first came over from Rohm Ghb. in Germany and then were made in Miami after they couldn't meet the import requirements from the Gun Control Act of 1968.

edit for spelling and link fix

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us.'

Last edited by FlashDaddy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

FlashDaddy wrote:

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an RG23 or any pistol made by "RG". These were last made in the 80s and are universally recognized as unmitigated crap. They first came over from Rohm Ghb. in Germany and then were made in Miami after they couldn't meet the import requirements from the Gun Control Act of 1968.

If you get an RG, Jody Foster will think you're sexy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Doc Torr wrote:
How accurate are the H&R and the Taurus, comparatively?

My stepmother's Taurus 94 seemed reasonably accurate, but the double-action trigger pull was atrocious. The SA trigger pull wasn't bad. I don't know if all 94s are that way, but I've heard of other people complaining about the DA trigger pull.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 pm 

i own an RG (got it for 20 and just wanted something to play around with and had 20 to blow) i cant hit the inside of the barn standing in the center... but its fun to shoot. also own an RG .38 (cant remember model number of head... now that little POS i love... never had an issue with it and can keep them all in fist sized group and 10 yards (its a 2 inch barrle and got it for that same 20 with the 22)... just slow as hell to reload... but back on topic... i second a rought rider... few friends have them in the go bag... fit and finish is ok... but there acrate little bugs

My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.

Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 am 

also, the high standard sentinel is a damned fine DA revolver- no longer made, but available in fine order for less than 2 bills. and 9 shot too-

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

yossarian wrote:
FlashDaddy wrote:

If you get an RG, Jody Foster will think you're sexy.

I just watched The Little Girl Who Lived Down The Lane, so she's been on my mind. Maybe I need one...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Freedom Arms has a rep for being mustache with titties. Pricey, but competition worthy.

Now officially an Arkansasshole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 am 

S&W 317 - look no further. 3" "kit" gun which weighs virtually nothing. Excellent for throwing in your BoB/INCH and not knowing it's there.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =275020721

Not sure if that's a good price, just figured you'd like to get an idea of what it costs. I'm pretty sure I paid $520 or so 2 years ago.

DO YOU CARRY FIRE? http://forum.CARRYFIRE.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I still kick myself for letting go of my Single Six. 22LR/22WMR. Dumbdumbdumb.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am 

HKTackDriver wrote:
S&W 317 - look no further. 3" "kit" gun which weighs virtually nothing. Excellent for throwing in your BoB/INCH and not knowing it's there.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =275020721

Not sure if that's a good price, just figured you'd like to get an idea of what it costs. I'm pretty sure I paid $520 or so 2 years ago.

plus one

Expensive, but worth it IMO.
Alternatives to this one> Ruger LCR .22, Charter Pathfinder (The charter doesn't have a lot of finish, but it's a good shooter and is available with the 22 mag cylinder)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
Freedom Arms has a rep for being mustache with titties. Pricey, but competition worthy.

Okay, I had to go look that up.

phractal - 4/2/13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Chirpy wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:

Okay, I had to go look that up.

I've never shot their .22s, but Freedom Arms .454 Casull revolvers are very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 am 

Ruger single six black bird, hands down my favorite .22 pistol of all time. It's substantial, accurate and boatloads of fun, plus it's a convertible and comes with a magnum cylinder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:16 pm 

Ruger and S&W are the only games in town right now for quality DA .22 revolvers.

Uberti makes a few very nice SAs, as does Ruger.

Charters are acceptable quality, but not at the top of my nor most others lists.

Personally, I wish NAA would find the time to make a slightly larger version of their existing revolvers - a 6 shot frame with a 4" barrel would still be far and away smaller than a Single Six. I have several antique 5 shot .32 SA revolvers that would serve as excellent design examples for such a gun.

YouTube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Raindog wrote:
Ruger single six black bird, hands down my favorite .22 pistol of all time. It's substantial, accurate and boatloads of fun, plus it's a convertible and comes with a magnum cylinder.

Got Dayum, but that's smexy! When did they come out with that one? (I have a matching Vaquero in .45 Colt).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 pm 

Thanks Rick,

The blackbird was a limited run of 650 offered from Talo middle of last year. I lucked out and found one at a gun store up near VA last year and snatched it up, haven't seen any around since then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

That's about my luck. :cry: