Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37 pm 

Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"
I purchased a Ruger SR9C pistol about a month ago. The purchase price was $425.00 from a local gun shop. You can buy it for around $400 on Buds Guns and several other places. This is my review of that weapon after 3 range outings and more than 450 rounds fired.

The Ruger SR9C comes with 2 Magazines. 1 - 10 rounder and 1 - 17 rounder. The 10 round magazine comes with both a flush magazine plate and one with a finger tip extension. Pistol and mags
pictured below:

In addition to the 17 rd magazine, the pistol also comes with a grip extender which converts the grip
into a full size pistol grip. Pictured below.

The weapon is an excellent option for concealed carry. I have been carrying it concealed using my Cross Breed Super Tuck or Masters Brand Shoulder holster, depending on the circumstances, for the last couple of weeks. It is not the smallest compact out there but is quite slim and concealable when using the 10 round magazine. The 17 rd magazine provides a lot of firepower after the initial magazine is spent and should you ever need it. For a size comparison, I have placed my Glock 23 above it in the picture below:

Remarks about how it shoots -- Well, I gotta say, it's one of the best shooting pistols I have ever used. IMHO. I own/ED 3 -- Glocks and 2 -- 1911-style pistols. None of them feel as natural in my hand and shoot as effortlessly as this pistol. But that could just be a matter of personal preference. In the glorious Corps, the best I ever qualified with a pistol was Sharpshooter, so I guess I am not an expert with a pistol. However, with this pistol, I feel pretty confident that I am going to hit what I am aiming at.

Things I like about the SR9C:
The trigger is very light and crisp with little to no take up. All of the Glocks I own have decent triggers. I would estimate their trigger pulls to be around 5 or 6 pounds. However, the draw on these are considerably longer than on the SR9C. The reset on the SR9C is much further forward and the trigger pull is a little lighter than my glocks. All of these factors, help me, as not the best pistol shot in the world, to avoid anticipating recoil and/or jerking the trigger which I have a tendency to do on my Glocks. Similar to the 1911, the SR9C has a 3 dot sight picture which I like better than that of your standard Glock sights. Pictured below is the sight picture of the SR9C (excuse the blurriness).

I shot about 150 rounds today and achieved very good groups (especially on those shots where I took good aim. I was also practicing drawing from my IWB and quickly shooting, so some of the wider stray shots can be attributed to that. The target was about 15 meters away. Nearly all of the well-aimed shots found their mark however. I still need a lot of practice, but I am pleased with the results achieved so far. Pictured below is my target from today's shoot.

I think my sight may need a windage adjustment to the right. It's hard to say because I did do some "Kentuckyfying of my aimpoint".

Anyhow, after shooting lots a cheap ammo and not cleaning my pistol since the last range outing, I experienced no stoppages. I am going to take the pistol apart tomorrow and give her a good cleaning. Afterwards, I will post a few pictures of the SR9C field stripped and clean. Part 2...I will post pictures when I can.

I am also going to do a review of the Masters Brand Shoulder Holster and my Cross breed when I get the chance.

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 am 
Why We Can't Have Nice Things

My chick really likes this gun I have considered it but I don't like it's da only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 am 

If your chick likes it, it really doesn't matter what you like or dislike, it's not for you, it's for her!

This is a striker fired pistol, yes? Not a DAO. So the long reset is just how Ruger did it, purposefully making it long for the "added safety" of the long trigger.

It's interesting that you seem to like the longer trigger verses the shorter reset of the Glock and 1911s, in my mind, that's a training issue. Most people find that they get the stab with the longer trigger, and find that the shorter reset and pull of the Glocks and 1911s are easier to shoot! Question, could your stab with the Glock come more from anticipating the recoil pulse of the .40 rather than the pistol itself? With the softer shooting 9mm, the felt recoil is different and thereby creating a mental relaxing allowing better shooting? Questions, questions.

Ah well. Glad you like the pistol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 am 

Nice review. I've got the full size model and like it. Ruger finally got a semi auto carry pistol that feels good in the hand. Deffinetly an improvement over my old p85 and p95.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 am 

Excellent review, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

It may not need windage adjustment. I'd do some dry fire to see if I had the tendancy to push to the left or pull to the right. If so, the re-position your finger placement on the trigger. Normally if you place just the tip finger pad on the trigger then you will tend to push it to the left. If the you place the finger where it is too close to the joint you will pull to the right.

I've had mine for a couple years now, and have been very happy with it after some initial issues were corrected by the factory. I am not enamored with the trigger pull, but I'm used to DA/SA. I think it's great for what it's meant to do.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:47 am 

doc66 wrote:
If your chick likes it, it really doesn't matter what you like or dislike, it's not for you, it's for her!

This is a striker fired pistol, yes? Not a DAO. So the long reset is just how Ruger did it, purposefully making it long for the "added safety" of the long trigger.

It's interesting that you seem to like the longer trigger verses the shorter reset of the Glock and 1911s, in my mind, that's a training issue. Most people find that they get the stab with the longer trigger, and find that the shorter reset and pull of the Glocks and 1911s are easier to shoot! Question, could your stab with the Glock come more from anticipating the recoil pulse of the .40 rather than the pistol itself? With the softer shooting 9mm, the felt recoil is different and thereby creating a mental relaxing allowing better shooting? Questions, questions.

I may be using the wrong terms, but the trigger reset is shorter on the Ruger than any of my Glocks. So by that I mean, it has less pull length to fire and then reset the trigger than on my Glocks. That is why I like the SR9C's trigger better than the Glocks. The caliber difference is also significant, with .40 S&W a bit snappier. Anyhow, I like shooting the 1911 trigger and there is little felt recoil with that. Yes, I could benefit from formal training. I plan to take pistol shooting course some time in the future.

just as fast as I could!

Last edited by 3Fingas on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 am 

nateted4 wrote:
It may not need windage adjustment. I'd do some dry fire to see if I had the tendancy to push to the left or pull to the right. If so, the re-position your finger placement on the trigger. Normally if you place just the tip finger pad on the trigger then you will tend to push it to the left. If the you place the finger where it is too close to the joint you will pull to the right.

I've had mine for a couple years now, and have been very happy with it after some initial issues were corrected by the factory. I am not enamored with the trigger pull, but I'm used to DA/SA. I think it's great for what it's meant to do.

Yes, that could be part of the problem. I like to use the tip of finger.

I have heard that there were some problems with the early SR9Cs. One of the things reworked may have been the trigger.

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

3Fingas wrote:
I have heard that there were some problems with the early SR9Cs. One of the things reworked may have been the trigger.

Yes, it was. They had some light primer strike problems. I sent mine back and they milled out the striker retaining plate on the rear of the slide, and prolly put in a different firing spring. This would have changed the weight of the trigger pull.

In related news, TTAG (not my peeps, but sometimes they have good info) said that the NNSF said that 2/5 of firearms need to go back to the manufacturer for repairs. That's wild. But, in my case I'm hitting that expected value. This Ruger had to go back due to design -rework, and a Mossy 500 had to go back due to a out of spec pin. That's out of a half dozen firearms I've ever purchased new and factory assembled. This is wild. If 2/5 of any other type of high dollar durable good had this kind of re-work rate some engineers and QA inspectors would have their asses in a sling.

Kommander wrote:
So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:48 pm 

nateted4 wrote:
3Fingas wrote:
In related news, TTAG (not my peeps, but sometimes they have good info) said that the NNSF said that 2/5 of firearms need to go back to the manufacturer for repairs. That's wild. But, in my case I'm hitting that expected value. This Ruger had to go back due to design -rework, and a Mossy 500 had to go back due to a out of spec pin. That's out of a half dozen firearms I've ever purchased new and factory assembled. This is wild. If 2/5 of any other type of high dollar durable good had this kind of re-work rate some engineers and QA inspectors would have their asses in a sling.

So far, so good with this Ruger. I did have a couple of problems with my S&W M&P15 rifle last year. I had to send it back twice. Good thing that S&W's customer service is outstanding. All in all, manufacturers should have a better defect rate than that. I am 1/3 on defects found in my most recent gun purchases.

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:05 pm 

I just bought one last week at the PX at Ft Drum stainless with 2 10 rd mags for $375.00, like it my 4th Ruger Pistol like it accurate, reliable. Buy one youll like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 pm 

Belair56 wrote:
I just bought one last week at the PX at Ft Drum stainless with 2 10 rd mags for $375.00, like it my 4th Ruger Pistol like it accurate, reliable. Buy one youll like it.

That's a great deal. Thanks for reminding me to check out our local PX. They just started selling guns again. I keep forgetting about it.

Edit -- when you leave N.Y. for a different duty station, assuming it's a state with different gun laws, pick up the 17 round magazine. The added grip length only improves accuracy.

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 am 

doc66 wrote:

Do you not read very well I stated I have considered it, but I don't like that's da only. I didn't say my chick likes it but it's da only so I won't get it for her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 pm 

EmbraceTheHate wrote:
doc66 wrote:

Do you not read very well I stated I have considered it, but I don't like that's da only. I didn't say my chick likes it but it's da only so I won't get it for her.

Well, technically, I think you are both right. It's both striker fired and DAOish. I think Glocks operate in a similar fashion.

Page 10 - Ruger SR9C Manual -

"Action: The action of the Ruger SR9C pistol is of the improved striker-fired type that utilizes a tilting barrel design in which the barrel and slide are locked together at the moment of firing. The internal striker is partially cocked by the closing action of the slide. Pulling the trigger fully to the rear completes the cocking of the striker, releases the internal striker block, and disengages the internal trigger safety. The last bit of trigger pull fires the pistol."

Pag 12 - Ruger manual

"Your SR9CTM is equipped with a Striker Status Indicator. The back of the striker is visible when the action is semi-cocked....
As the trigger is pulled, the striker can be seen moving backward...
When the striker is released by the trigger, it disappears from view."

Regardless, the SR9C is not like most hard to pull DAO's you might know. Since it's partially cocked by the slide, the amount of trigger pull required is significantly reduced. Like I said earlier, the trigger pull on my SR9C is a tad lighter with a more forward reset than any of my Glocks.

Here's a whole thread in THR that debates the action of the Ruger:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 73703.html

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 pm 

Continuing with Part 2 - Field Strip, Cleaning, etc.

Pictured below is the fully field stripped SR9C:

barrel and recoil spring. Note the machining of the front of the barrel. At first I thought this was some sort of defect or wear marks, but I called Ruger and they said this was intentional for positive lockup of barrel and slide.:

slide with recoil spring inserted:

frame with rail guides. Extractor is visible (This must be pushed down for disassembly, pushed up by
empty magazine when reassembling).

Slide to the rear.

Apparently there's a way to remove the striker pin and clean the channel, but the Ruger manual doesn't describe it. I found a video on how to do it and I will try it in the future.

Field stripping and cleaning this weapon is very similar to cleaning a glock -- the only additional steps being the removal of the take down pin and the need to depress the extractor.

Just a note about the Federal Walmart and Winchester Whitebox (both fmj and hp) ammo I used. No failures or light strikes, but it did seem dirtier than I remember. Maybe this is because the barrel is stainless steel so the residue was just more noticeable.

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm 

It's technically a striker fired weapon. DAO indicates a hammer action which is completed from start to finish with the trigger pull. Old Third Generation Smiths being an exception, since the hammer required a reset by the movement rearward of the slide, It was a pretty stupid set up, the reason I dumped my 1086.

Ruger is still making you push down that extractor to assemble the pistol? Why bother to copy Glocks, if you aren't just going to do it all the way, like Smith did?

Embrace the hate; you don't read well either. I said it's not for you it's for her, if she likes it, it doesn't matter what you like. It's for her to decide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 pm 

doc66 wrote:
It's technically a striker fired weapon. DAO indicates a hammer action which is completed from start to finish with the trigger pull. Old Third Generation Smiths being an exception, since the hammer required a reset by the movement rearward of the slide, It was a pretty stupid set up, the reason I dumped my 1086.

Thanks for the explanation about DAO.

Time and extended use will tell me if this is a good design or not. I still have both a G23 and G37 (when I can find ammo) for other shooting options.

just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:48 pm 

doc66 wrote:
DAO indicates a hammer action which is completed from start to finish with the trigger pull. Old Third Generation Smiths being an exception, since the hammer required a reset by the movement rearward of the slide, It was a pretty stupid set up, the reason I dumped my 1086.

Not found only on the 3rd gen DAO Smiths, I know that the Beretta type "C" uses this same half-cock position for it's "Constant DAO" trigger, and I think the Sig DAK also uses the same system.

Not sure if the Walther P99/S&W P99 series is also in this camp, as the striker is set to half cock, but you have the option to decock the striker and return it to a full DAO style pull instead of a shortened pseudo Glock pull.

NXP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm 

I have a Ghost trigger installed on mine. Great gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 am 

doc66 wrote:

Ruger is still making you push down that extractor to assemble the pistol? Why bother to copy Glocks, if you aren't just going to do it all the way, like Smith did?

Embrace the hate; you don't read well either. I said it's not for you it's for her, if she likes it, it doesn't matter what you like. It's for her to decide.

I guess I read it wrong, sorry for being a prick to ya.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 am 

Groovy. We're all good.