Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:31 pm 

Do they exist?

Watching the news recently, and I see videos and pictures of these protestors across the country doing things like blocking in cars, rocking them and intimidating, or even assaulting :shock: the occupants...And frankly it's scaring the hell out of me. I already carry my P229 .40 everywhere with me off-duty with 12+1 locked and loaded, and an additional 12-round magazine in my glovebox, but...

I've fired my weapon in fear for my life, before, and I know how quickly your ammunition can disappear, and with how ineffective results. I've seen videos and read accounts of mobs and riots attacking people, before...I'm concerned that, should I ever be placed in a situation like that, and be forced to defend myself or my friends with deadly force...12+1 rounds honestly might not be enough, and I might not have time to fetch another magazine from my glovebox and reload.

I've looked, but google has revealed nothing. Maybe I'm just retarded and missed it, or didn't type the right key-words, however.

Anyhow..Do true high-capacity magazines for .40 S&W Sig Sauer P229s exist? I realize they're not going to be branded 'Sig Sauer', but does *anyone* make them? I just want to have an 'Oh shit' mag of 20-25 rounds I can keep in my vehicle, and I'd prefer not to have to change my carry gun, but I'm honestly considering it if I can't find a solution to this delimma.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 pm 

If its time for a 30 round mag its time for a rifle.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:19 pm 

Readying and firing a rifle from within the confines of a small vehicle is difficult, and of dubious legality in most states.

Pistols are far easier to draw, charge, aim, and fire at targets at point-blank range from within vehicles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:33 pm 

Well the legality of it is not an issue in my state but I do suppose it coils be rather unwieldy. Perhaps a foldy SBR then? I own a 229 as well and have never seen any extended mags for them. Unfortunately even of they do exist they are probably made by Promag and therefore shit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm 

I still think the legality of it would be dubious...It would be a lat harder to justify a homicide, were I ever in such a situation, with a restricted compact, small-caliber, folding, semi-automatic rifle...that I kept in my car.

Besides, being military, getting an SBR is a pain in the ass, as is doing something like leaving a dedicated PDW-style firearm in my vehicle. There's no Army regulations on keeping ammunition in your vehicle, there are against keeping weapons.

Does anyone know of any machine shops that have a reputation for making good custom magazines, perhaps? I can't imagine it would cost more than $150-250 to commission one or two, which is likely close to what I'd end up paying anyway if I found one that wasn't, like you said, some Promag piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:52 pm 

The answer is actually, pro-mag does make them. Just search for extended p226 mags.

Just one example. At least they are cheap.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/produc ... 52dA4.html

Would look like this (suppressor and m6x not included):

Last edited by jt526 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:05 pm 

Awesome. Yeah, at least they're cheap. I can certainly afford $20 + S&H to see if it works or not...

Thanks, dude!

EDIT: Disregard, that's for the P226. Will those still fit a P229?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:18 pm 

Yes, see pic I just added, mags from 226 are perfectly fine in the p228/9. The magazine above is a 30rd 9mm mag. I figure the 20 round .40 might a bit shorter. That is a p228 above

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:21 pm 

Groovy, groovy. Thanks, dude!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:39 pm 

Sorry I didn't realise you were on a base. Just be sure to test th help out of that Promag before serious use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:42 pm 

But of course. I have a few Promags for my Beretta Tomcat, and they required some slight modification with a file before they worked reliably.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:51 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm going to be the jerk in the room, do not use pro mags. They don't work and they fail. They only resemble a mag,.they are not.
Just use Sig or mecgar.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Sig and mecgar don't what he want though...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 pm 

Why can't firearms manufacturers just cater to the paranoid survivalist/gun nut market, and make a retarded large magazine for all of their weapons?

Why? Because that guy who wants a 15-20 round mag for his .32 ACP pocket pistol is probably willing to pay premium prices for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Kommander wrote:
Sig and mecgar don't what he want though...

As a range fun gun, sure. But he's specifically asking for self defense, therefore, reliability trumps capacity. Pro mags have never worked.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sig does make hi cap pistol mags, look around. They're about $80-100.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:11 pm 

The only ones I'm finding in .40 are for the P226 (15 rounds), and the P229 (14 rounds). Given that my standard carry mags already hold 12 rounds, I don't feel that this is enough of an improvement to fit my needs.

Are you aware of other magazines that I'm missing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:17 pm 

ALl the 20rd mags made by sigs are in 9mm that I have ever seen. I've got a few and they are high quality. And now they aren't even extended mags, just a longer base pad. That being said, Promags suck, but nowhere near as bad as National Mags. The one in the pic is a National and is made out of the sheet steel equivalent of pot metal. Only reason I still have the 30 is for mall ninja pics and I paid a metric ass-ton for it back around '94 (probably not as much as I think I did, but still, more than the 8 bucks it is worth) during the ban and can't part with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:26 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Boom, 20 rd mags, $62.
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/p226-h ... es-68.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:33 pm 

sugsauer.com wrote:
.40/.357 15 RD Super Capacity Tactical (extended floorplate) - $62

As I said above, the 20 rounders are only available in 9mm. The highest capacity .40 S&W they offer is 15 rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Pastryfish wrote:
Do they exist?

Watching the news recently, and I see videos and pictures of these protestors across the country doing things like blocking in cars, rocking them and intimidating, or even assaulting :shock: the occupants...And frankly it's scaring the hell out of me. I already carry my P229 .40 everywhere with me off-duty with 12+1 locked and loaded, and an additional 12-round magazine in my glovebox, but...
If you don't run over pedestrians, you should be good.
Quote:
I've fired my weapon in fear for my life, before, and I know how quickly your ammunition can disappear, and with how ineffective results. I've seen videos and read accounts of mobs and riots attacking people, before...I'm concerned that, should I ever be placed in a situation like that, and be forced to defend myself or my friends with deadly force...12+1 rounds honestly might not be enough, and I might not have time to fetch another magazine from my glovebox and reload.
Could you rig something so that when you feel you're going to be in a bad situation, you have several mags standing up and ready for you to pop them into your weapon? Perhaps a magnet in the space between your driver's seat and passenger seat (whether that's open or a console), with spare mags attached to that?