Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATI fatboy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:18 pm 

For some reason I am drawn to this gun after reading this review on gunblast. Double stack 3" 1911 that is dimensionally very close to a standard single stack. It also uses existing P14 mags. 12+1 rounds of 45acp in a sub compact.....yeaaaa boyyyy! 8-)

http://www.gunblast.com/ATI-FX45.htm

Does anyone have a reason why I should not pull the trigger on one of these?

Post subject: Re: ATI fatboy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

A Glock 30 is lighter, cheaper and probably more reliable. You asked.

Prepare intellectually, materially, physically and martially.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 pm 

A glock may be cheaper but a 1911 has more cool factor!

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 pm 

gelgoog wrote:
For some reason I am drawn to this gun after reading this review on gunblast. Double stack 3" 1911 that is dimensionally very close to a standard single stack. It also uses existing P14 mags. 12+1 rounds of 45acp in a sub compact.....yeaaaa boyyyy! 8-)

http://www.gunblast.com/ATI-FX45.htm

Does anyone have a reason why I should not pull the trigger on one of these?

http://www.gunblast.com/images/ATI-FX45/DSC01045.JPG

http://www.gunblast.com/images/ATI-FX45/DSC01066.JPG

http://www.gunblast.com/images/ATI-FX45/DSC01067.JPG

Depends, how partial are you to a firing pin safety?
Other than the review on Gunblast I've not heard much about these yet.

ETA: I do like the capacity and the look of the 1-piece magwell/grip though.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:32 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

jeremy1391 wrote:

I'm a function over fashion guy, apart from being regular. :wink: :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 pm 

Regular Guy wrote:
jeremy1391 wrote:

I'm a fashion guy. :wink: :P

I already tasted the glock koolaid and did not care for it. I am lovin my Springfield micro compact for EDC, and want to give this fatboy a try. It would be interesting to compare the two dimensionally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:32 pm 

Regular Guy wrote:
A Glock 30 is lighter, cheaper and probably more reliable. You asked.

a 1911 shoots better. :lol: end story

single action, manual safety... SEXY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 pm 

1911's do shoot better than glocks for me. However i wouldnt run a 3" 1911 AS A CARRY GUN. Id much rather have a G30 or M&P. NO Koolaid just fact..

3" 1911s have been known to have some very real relilabilty issues.

I do own 1911's and GLocks... If im shooting for money ill run a 1911.. If im shooting to go home Im running one of my Glocks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 am 

Penguin6920 wrote:
1911's do shoot better than glocks for me. However i wouldnt run a 3" 1911 AS A CARRY GUN. Id much rather have a G30 or M&P. NO Koolaid just fact..

3" 1911s have been known to have some very real relilabilty issues.

I do own 1911's and GLocks... If im shooting for money ill run a 1911.. If im shooting to go home Im running one of my Glocks.

Some 3" have been known to have reliability issues and due to the plethora of 1911 manufacturers out there it is bound to happen. That is like saying that you shouldn't run an AR15 because some of them have been known to be unreliable. If it were just one company making them like the ubiquitous glock, then I could understand, but EVERYONE makes a compact 1911.

I have put about 1500 rounds through my micro compact without one FTF or FTE. So its GTG in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:37 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

ATI? The company that manages to produce ass, balls, and feet on a regular basis?

Go ahead. Buy two. :lol:

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 am 

A company that has shitty quality control making a finnicky off the get go sub-compact version of a gun that needs high quality control to get NEAR Glock like reliability...I see no problem there :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just to bug the 1911 guys, I'll put a Glock 30 against.any compact 1911 at the next milcopp course here in Columbia. And go......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm 

Dave_M wrote:
ATI? The company that manages to produce ass, balls, and feet on a regular basis?

Go ahead. Buy two. :lol:

I will admit some of their product lines are crap, but their 1911s like the "fatboy" are made in the philipines by SAM which have the same reputation for quality and sturdy 1911s that RIA does.

So lets not turn this into an barfcom brand snobbery. Does anyone actually have experience with the ATI imported 1911s or not?

So far the only thing going against them is that ATI has spotty customer service.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 pm 

It sounds like you already have your self talked into it. You asked for feed back and we are giving it to you.

I hope you get many trouble free rounds from your new gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:33 pm 

They are a new design, yeah? Wait 6 months or a year, see if any issues emerge, recalls or fixes or bugs surface that need to be worked out. Or, buy one right now and Beta test it for the rest of us.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 pm 
BANNED

Penguin6920 wrote:
It sounds like you already have your self talked into it. You asked for feed back and we are giving it to you.

I hope you get many trouble free rounds from your new gun

More like he's asking for first, or at least second, hand information about the product.

Not regurgitated gun forum meme shit from people who've only read about guns, and not actually shot stuff regarding the topic at hand.

It's a common thing on most all gun boards ;)

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm 

Well, "wait until it's been out for awhile" is pretty stock advice, and Gelgoog probably already knew that. Doesn't mean it's bad advice.

Someone just posted a review of an ATI 1911. Not the fatboy, though. It's his second post on ZS.

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=84634

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

gelgoog wrote:
I will admit some of their product lines are crap, but their 1911s like the "fatboy" are made in the philipines by SAM which have the same reputation for quality and sturdy 1911s that RIA does.

So lets not turn this into an barfcom brand snobbery. Does anyone actually have experience with the ATI imported 1911s or not?

I had a snarky response to this but then I realized you stated that RIA makes, 'quality and sturdy 1911's' so it would fall on deaf ears.

Be the experiment. Buy two.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just to clarify, I'm not a brand snob. I've owned plenty of guns that were off brand that ran like a top. If this gun runs right, cool. My beef is that these guns, disappointing don't, hence my deference to Glock.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 pm 

Dave_M wrote:
gelgoog wrote:

I had a snarky response to this but then I realized you stated that RIA makes, 'quality and sturdy 1911's' so it would fall on deaf ears.

Be the experiment. Buy two.

I have handled many RIA 1911s and they are every bit as good as other well known brand names twice their price. I would take a RIA tactical any day over a kimber.

They may not be able to compete against a dan wesson or STI, but for a functional gun at the price they command they are pretty hard to beat.

If you have any gripes against S.A.M. or RIA I would like to hear them, because they seem to be highly praised on many forums and I have not seen anything in person to dissuade me from that opinion.

@ Regular Guy : I am not calling you a brand snob just generalizing those who believe that if it is not a $2000 custom 1911 that is must be crap. ATI is much in the same regards as Century arms in that they are a large importer who simply brands their name on a lot of stuff they do not have any hand in manufacturing other than being the sole distributor. Some of their stuff is crap, some of it like their 1911s appear to be from a reputable manufacturer. The problem is if you run into problems that ATI may give you trouble in the CS dept.

As to comparing a 1911 to a glock, well that just ain't going to happen. The glock is a superior firearm hands down, but personal preference being what it is I choose something else. The only polymer pistols I have ever liked was my HK USP and Steyr M9. For concealed carry I prefer single stack guns for their profile, but this "fatboy" is supposed to be on par with a standard 1911 in terms of its grip profile, will fit my existing holsters for my micro compact and will double my carrying capacity. So for a sub $600 gun it is worth a try, I will ring it out and see how she does (unless someone has a compelling reason aside from ATI CS to dissuade me).

squinty wrote:
Well, "wait until it's been out for awhile" is pretty stock advice, and Gelgoog probably already knew that. Doesn't mean it's bad advice.

Someone just posted a review of an ATI 1911. Not the fatboy, though. It's his second post on ZS.

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=84634

Yes I will probably wait a little while at the very least to see if the pricing on them stabilizes and a few more reviews pop up. Right now I have my hands full with a Galil build, Micro uzi and a dakota tactical D-94. But if I calculate my funds correctly, it is certainly next on my list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 pm 

No'p...Have one myself, have shot glocks, colts, springfields, and a ruger and I will keep my fatboy. It shoots everything I've put in it with no problems except the cheap ass steel cased Russian ammo, it will shoot it but every clip full I shot the first round would jam and is just clear it and the next 11 or 12 rounds worked fine. I say 12 to because the two extra mags I bought which are the exact mag the gun came with, somehow those two hold 13 rounds each but the one which came with it will only hold 12 as advertised. Point being for under 600 you won't get a better 1911 IMO. I've put almost 1000 rounds through it and with less than a second to come to rest can make groups of less than 4 inches at 15 yards, and one handed at that, and im far from a professional shooter. So :arrow: please don't tell me a short barreled 1911 from ATI cant be a good carry weapon, especially when you consider the plain and simple knock down/back power of the 45acp cartridge, which is less likely to keep on going like a 9mm or 40 caliber would. Only bad thing I'd say about the gun is that there was some filing here and there on the frame near the ejection port which was because of some leftover sharp edges from the casting and/or machining, and its fit was a bit tight. But then again it was new and now its been fine since the first hundred rounds went through it.

These are just my opinions and are based solely on my experiences with this weapon I purchased, your gun may or may not function like mine and therefore your experience may differ from mine. Thank you, please come again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

How much energy do you lose between a 5", 4.25", 4", 3.5", and 3" barrels in standard .45acp ammo?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 pm 

At least wait until someone else reviews one. Gunblast likes everything they review.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 am 

It's a novel idea, the mag well almost looks like a thin version of an STI. The fact that ATI's importing them helps a little, but honestly the name ATI doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for me. It could be great and suffer for that fact alone, but the proof would be in the fit and finish.

NXP