Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 am 

Welcome to another install of Tactical Tuesday! So, I had the opportunity to buy one of the original models of Blackhawk! CQC SERPA Holsters the other day. Some of you might ask why I would commit such a horrible sin. If you don't know what I'm talking about google "SERPA shoot yourself in the dick." Errrr... I mean "leg."

Anyways, one of the things that I noticed on some of the models of SERPAs is right around the possessed demon retention button. There is plenty of extra material that can keep your finger from extending completely straight out. As seen in the below picture.

Before:

So, the idea is not to hit the button with the pad of your finger, but depress it with the underside of the first knuckle while having a completely straight / flat finger. This allows for a perfect index on the frame of the gun without your finger "booger hooking." But there's that pesky extra material in the way. How do you "fix" this... Using the #1 tool for anyone who has a plastic or kydex holster... Mr. Dremel!

After:

After a mild application of the grinding wheel you can remove the excess material that keeps your finger from lying flat down on the button. Wah-lah! You've "fixed" you SERPA to help make it a little safer.

**Disclaimer / Anti-Flame Notice**
Yes, you will shoot yourself in the dick with a SERPA.
Yes, your range master will ban you for life if they catch you using one.
Yes, it will fill up with pebbles and snow when you least expect it and never give you your pistol back.
Yes, all SERPAs belong in the garbage.
Yes, the US military likes giving their soldiers shitty equipment.
Yes, the plastic is really just boiled down kitties, doggies, and ponies.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 am 

This is an excellent idea. I use a SERPA duty type holster and it came with this chunk of plastic already missing. Iv'e never had a problem with getting my gun out but others I trust have has issues.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 am 

Kommander wrote:
This is an excellent idea. I use a SERPA duty type holster and it came with this chunk of plastic already missing. Iv'e never had a problem with getting my gun out but others I trust have has issues.

From what I've seen some SERPAs do have it already removed, some don't. My guess is they updated their design mid-production, but there are still old versions floating around.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:39 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

yeah, I never had a problem with mine either. Imo it a great holster just not for concealment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 am 

Mine has the the relief shown in it and it is 3 years old. Somehow I've never been thrown off a range, DQ'ed from a match, or shot my dick off.

Just lucky I guess, or have better trigger finger control :D

That being said I do like the hood style retention holsters from Blade Tech and Safariland.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 am 

I thought there was going to be a pic of Safariland's ALS... :wink:

"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm 

If one does in fact Google "serpa shoot yourself in the dick", the first hit is this thread.

ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:
I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

And thus the circle of life is complete.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I am not a pro, but I do use Serpa... even for concealment (mostly during the colder weather.)
I also saw many pros use it.
I saw it at the range a lot also.
And, I was always told that is a solid piece of equipment.

Not arguing, because I know less than most on this forum. Just kinda sad if that is really true.

Is it? :roll:

Edit: I went through a ton of holsters. I never liked any of them as much as I like my Serpa. Seriously, how many people think it is unsafe piece of junk?

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:14 pm 

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:
I am not a pro, but I do use Serpa... even for concealment (mostly during the colder weather.)
I also saw many pros use it.
I saw it at the range a lot also.
And, I was always told that is a solid piece of equipment.

Not arguing, because I know less than most on this forum. Just kinda sad if that is really true.

Is it? :roll:

Edit: I went through a ton of holsters. I never liked any of them as much as I like my Serpa. Seriously, how many people think it is unsafe piece of junk?

Hey, I've been running a SERPA for awhile,(08) and though I may occasionally pretend to hate it to fend off the lynch mob, I like it. I find it's faster than the SLS/ALS. Does it feel slighly less in quality to those? Yeah sure. But it cost between 25-50% less. It also offers better retention.

I do a lot of grappling when I'm in work mode, but I never really compared the two from that perspective(hand to hand) till a VTAC instructor pointed it out to me. It is much much harder to grab a gun out of someones SERPA, than someones ALS/SLS. (yes even the hooded one sucks to prevent grabs on)
However,
Much like it is cool to use USGIs again, it's not cool to run a SERPA.

I'll swear off the Holster when I have the sand malfunction, in both the 92fs face plate and the 1911 faceplate I have been all over the gravel and never been able to replicate the sand malfunction. Maybe it just happens to certain models, maybe the stars have to align. I don't know. She's good to me and always gives my gun back.

Short answer.
I like it. Thanks for asking.

P.S. The people shooting themselves in the thigh are stupid. My finger always indexes on the outside of the trigger guard, I get my sight picture then it goes in the trigger guard. The only way to shoot yourself is by putting your finger in the trigger guard. Its a training issue. Some equipment is just more likely to point out where your training has issues. The holster is not unsafe. It's a fucking piece of plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 pm 

There's about a ten dollar difference between the ALS and the SERPA. The holsters I actually use are ALS models. I have a brand new in the box SLURPA for a G17 if anybody wants to buy it. It can't hold a candle to my ALS.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 pm 

I got a shit ton of free Safari land gear so go shoot your dick off Murph!

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:16 pm 

"Much like it is cool to use USGIs again"

What, was there something else "cooler" for a while?

"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm 

Matt E. wrote:
"Much like it is cool to use USGIs again"

What, was there something else "cooler" for a while?

P Mags and lancers =P

I was comparing drop legs. 100$ brackhawk vs 170$ MSRP on the SLS, I didn't realize they'd come down so much. Then again the last time i priced a level 2 dropleg was quite awhile ago, the only two people ran were the blackhawk or the SLS. None of this new fangled ALS nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Damn! Saw some youtube vids of Safariland ALS. Now I want me self one for my USP40 Compact.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:48 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

The 6004 is to pricey for me. I think I'm going to try a serpa.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Used to be a big fan of the SERPA. I used one as my duty holster for working as an LEO and owned others for off duty use. I used to think all the SERPA hate was a bunch of internet BS, but after having my holster fail HARD (see this thread under Day 2 of training) I would not recomend the SERPA to anyone.

There are many good holsters out there right now (Blade-Tec, Safariland, Comp-Tac, Raven, etc) so it dosn't make sense to me to buy a Blackhawk SERPA knowing it's track record.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 am 

I agree with 007, that "shoot yourself" issue is OPERATOR ERROR! If the army gives away enough of anything, people will hurt themselves with it. That's just how statistics work.

My booger finger rides the side of the frame until I want to fire, so I don't have that problem.

Some SERPA's get jammed up with gravel, and some Glock .40's go all M67.

I have a few of each, so I guess I'll keep you guys posted on any issues I have :lol:

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 am 

gravediggerfour wrote:
I got a shit ton of free Safari land gear so go shoot your dick off Murph!

pew pew pew pew!! :D