Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glock 27 vs. Glock 19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 pm 

Hey everyone. Before I start, just wanted to say this is a really great forum and I have gleaned a lot of info from these pages. Just wanted to say thanks. Now, onto my question. I recently purchased a used Glock 27 for $400.00. Before I bought it, I did a lot of research. Went to the range and fired the full sized .40 and enjoyed it a lot. Was considering getting a Glock 19 through the Glock LE program, and at $400.00 brand new out the door, it was a good deal; except I had to wait 8 - 12 weeks. Went by a local shop and saw the 27 and fell in love with it. And I would rather support local shops than Glock directly. Bought it that day. I don't have a lot of expendable cash, as I'm a Soldier and Uncle Sugar is a little stingy. So my intent was to get a gun that could fill duty as a HD weapon, possible concealed carry, and of course a Zombie Killing tool. As a rsult, I went with the 27. When I bought it, it only had a clip fired through it and it shows. Thing looks practically new.

I guess I'm looking for opinions as to how some people feel about the Glock 19 compared to the 27. I took it to the range immediately, as I see no sense in having a pistol in my home that I don't know for a fact goes boom to protect my fam. Fired two boxes through it without issue. Wasn't working on my marksmanship, but it fired pretty true. It has the Pearce (sp.) extensions, so it was relatively comfortable. But I'm still wondering about that Glock 19. LOL Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:56 pm 

I would personally go for the 19, for ammo cost, capacity, and because the first .40 caliber subcompact I fired (XDm 3.8") I was like DO NOT WANT. But if you can handle the pocket rocket, go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 pm 

A the grip extension makes the G26/27 about as long as a G19. You might as well have that extra little bit of barrel and a few more rounds too. I can't speak from personal experience, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people that advise against the grip extension for reliability reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have about 800 rds through my 27. I do use the pierce extensions on my two factory mags. However, I only keep one factory mag (in the gun) in use. My reload (and his 5 buddies) are g22 fifteen round mags. I keep the ten rounder in the weapon for ease of concealability and I keep the 15rounders for their capacity. I don't shoot any worse/better with the 15rounder sticking out. I really like this gun. I've never shot a 19, so no input there. I like the subcompact just fine. Why aren't you looking at a g22 instead of a g19? Why switch calibers?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The 27 can be difficult to master. I didn't have a problem with it but I've seen some folks that have. The 19 is the quintessential carry gun. 15+1 rd of 9mm+P in a small envelope is potent medicine.

Why don't you mosey over to the intro tread and tell us about yourself.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:50 pm 

This is just my personal opinion on the G27, please don't be butthurt but......

FUCK the G27. If you are going that small, go G26. If the decision is between the G19 and the G27, I would go G19 in a heartbeat (and I did... 3 times).

I see that you already have the G27. It's a great gun, my problem is that I don't want to shoot .40. .40 takes a lot to master, as Regular Guy said. It doesn't matter how much more "stopping power" you think the .40 has if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm 

Thanks for all the input. I definitely appreciate it. One comment in particular caught my attention: Someone mentiones a lack of reliability when it famed to the magazine extensions. I was wondering if anyone could expand on that a little bit.

I definitely see the point about getting proficient with a .40; a subcompact no less. LOL. But I plan to enjoy the practice in getting there. Thanks for the input everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:09 pm 

I've actually had to make this decision myself a little while ago, but I also had the G23 thrown into the mix. I ended up with the G-19 as well.

I personally felt that if I was going to go with a .40 S&W, I might as well just go with a .45 ACP and likely a different platform (ala 1911). I rotate between the G-19 and my Para P-14 depending on my outfit and reason for carrying.

BTW, I highly recommend the Galco VHawk IWB holster. Most comfortable IWB I've ever known.

ZSC:029 - North East Ohio Zombie Squad - Founding Member, Chapter Officer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Whenever I am asked "If I were going to only own one handgun, what should it be?", my (and I have a feeling many others here) response is almost always "Glock 19". Compact, to call it reliable is vastly understating, reasonably priced, and more than capable of completing the task given it. I know this isn't your only handgun- I'm just making the point.
The only circumstance in which I give a different answer is when the person asking has no intention to own a long gun. Then it's ".357 revolver with at least 4" of barrel". But thats a whole other discussion. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I've never shot a G27, but I own a G36, and it looks like the dimensions are approximately the same, although the G36 fires .45 instead of .40.

Shooting standard ball out of the 36 is good to go, although after the first 50 rounds or so it starts to get a little hard on the hands. Since it's a small pistol, the .45 is a very snappy round out of it, and the smaller size makes it hard to get a really good grip for follow up shots. Shooting +P JHP makes it nearly uncontrollable, fand ast, accurate follow up shots with hotter SD rounds are nearly impossible for me. SLOW, accurate follow up shots I can do, but slow is not the best gear to be in if you're in a gunfight.

SO, I've ordered a G19 to use as a carry pistol, and the G36 will probably be relegated to some back up role. I really, REALLY like the thought of a .45 over a 9mm, but I'm beginning to think that with modern JHP the difference is more mental on my part than a true terminal performance issue. Even if the .45 is slightly harder hitting, the fact that I'll be more than doubling my magazine capacity and greatly increasing my accuracy and ability for follow up hits more than makes up for it. Took some mental gymnastics to get me to this point, though.

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am 

hmm,, why not keep the 27 and order the conversion kit so you can shoot 9mm or 40 out of one pistol ??

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:22 am 

stimpy321972 wrote:
hmm, why not keep the 27 and order the conversion kit so you can shoot 9mm or 40 out of one pistol ??

...said a wise, wise man.

Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:54 am 

stimpy321972 wrote:
hmm,, why not keep the 27 and order the conversion kit so you can shoot 9mm or 40 out of one pistol ??

I like the sound of that. Something I will definitely be looking into. But since i have the 27 now, means I need to become proficient with it. So, I now have an excuse to make repeated trips to the range. The recoil wasn't terribly bad, and it's something i know I can get used to. But it's going ot be a fun process. Thanks everyone for your input. Now, time to do some research on shotguns for HD. That Mossberg 500 is looking mighty sweet... :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Never use conversion barrel for carry. They are unreliable. Don't train 9mm and carry 40. The results will not be equal.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF! GIVE US STUFF!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm 

Biggin wrote:
This is just my personal opinion on the G27, please don't be butthurt but......

FUCK the G27. If you are going that small, go G26. If the decision is between the G19 and the G27, I would go G19 in a heartbeat (and I did... 3 times).

ROFLMAO No hard feelings. I appreciate your input; especially seeing as how you have actually owned the 2 weapons I had questions about. I appreciate your response for sure.

I found the article someone mentioned about the reliability of Pearce magazine extenders and think I may make a trip to my local shop to have them take a look at the Pearce add ons and ensure they were installed properly. Apparently, the gentleman in the article said he did a test and dropped his weapon on the floor (a Glock 27) to see how the Pearce add ons would hold up and it popped off and all the rounds came out the bootom of the magazine. Definitely good info.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm 

The only issue I've encountered with a Glock mag extension ( a Glock 17 mag with a +2) is that at least 50% of the time, the pistol won't end up in slide lock after finishing the mag. To me, with a 19rd magazine and using it mostly at the range, it's not a big deal. In a smaller Glock with less ammo that's acting as a carry piece, that may be an issue to you. The extended magazines (10rd capacity) I have for my Glock 30 function flawlessly.

Between the 19 or 27, I'd go with the 19 everytime. If you ever decide to replace the 27, look really hard at a 19 or 30.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:21 pm 

DannusMaximus wrote:
I've never shot a G27, but I own a G36, and it looks like the dimensions are approximately the same, although the G36 fires .45 instead of .40.

Shooting standard ball out of the 36 is good to go, although after the first 50 rounds or so it starts to get a little hard on the hands. Since it's a small pistol, the .45 is a very snappy round out of it, and the smaller size makes it hard to get a really good grip for follow up shots. Shooting +P JHP makes it nearly uncontrollable, fand ast, accurate follow up shots with hotter SD rounds are nearly impossible for me. SLOW, accurate follow up shots I can do, but slow is not the best gear to be in if you're in a gunfight.

SO, I've ordered a G19 to use as a carry pistol, and the G36 will probably be relegated to some back up role. I really, REALLY like the thought of a .45 over a 9mm, but I'm beginning to think that with modern JHP the difference is more mental on my part than a true terminal performance issue. Even if the .45 is slightly harder hitting, the fact that I'll be more than doubling my magazine capacity and greatly increasing my accuracy and ability for follow up hits more than makes up for it. Took some mental gymnastics to get me to this point, though.

Just wait until I let you molest my G30SF at MilCopp next month... :lol:

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Greg Focker wrote:

Shit.

At this rate, I'll find an excuse to own every single variant of Glock pistols...

Not that there's anything wrong with that... 8)

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:38 pm 

DannusMaximus wrote:
Greg Focker wrote:

Shit.

At this rate, I'll find an excuse to own every single variant of Glock pistols...

Not that there's anything wrong with that... 8)

I tend to stick with Glocks that share support equipment. My G36 is (EDIT - now gone).

"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Last edited by Matt E. on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am 

I have a holster for a G30 that I'm not using right now, which I suppose means that I need another G30. I'd bet I'll find the same problems that caused me to trade it away in the first place: it's harder to find parts and stuff for than the 9mm and .40 variants are. I still have no use for a 36...except to trade for something else.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm fixing to go out right now and my CCW is a Glock 19. I have a 17 two 19s and a 26. For what it is I like the 19 best for CCW.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:41 pm 

I have a Glock 27 and a while not a 19 I have a 23 (19's counterpart in .40). While I truly love the 27 for daily carry, concealability, and its general cool factor in a SHTF scenario I would go with the 23, given the choice of course. More capacity, longer sight radius, longer grip for better purchase, its just a better choice for a combat handgun. The 19 also has the added bonus of cheaper ammunition for you, as well as the higher round capacity. I would get the compact framed Glock but if I were to offer you any advice it would be to grab a 23 instead. The mags will work in the 27 and you will have a standardized caliber between the two. Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:14 pm 

Glock 19 with a Glock 26 for BUG. You can carry just the 26 for deeper carry when needed.
9mm +P JHP properly placed with fast accurate follow up shots.
Cheaper and easier to find ammo.
I carry my 19 and 26 everyday and have for the last year and a half.
As for extensions for a subcompact Glock consider this rather than the extension:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GRIP151-1.html
Glock Magazine Sleeve
Use larger mag in smaller weapon with full capacity and no worries about base plate issues. Personally I carry my 26 with the standard 10-rd for better concealment. YMMV

Bearcat wrote:
I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.

RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I've had the whole 17/19/26 family, and have to say that I shoot best with the full-size G17, followed closely by the subcompact G26. There's something about how the G19 (and the 23, for that matter) fits my big hands that throws the pointability off, and I have to consciously fiddle with my grip to get compact Glocks to point where I want them to. I know I'm in the minority, but that's how it is for me and a few other people, too.

I'd like to have the extra velocity of the longer barrel, but it seems prudent to worry about making the hit in the right place before worrying about how hard the hit will be.