Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm

The Stand, book and miniseries, are amazing. If you like tat try it's epic sister-series, The Dark Tower. It appears to be post-The Stand, and definitely ties in the universe of all his other wirks(which are in a world similar to our own, but not quite the same)

Misspellings courtesy of iPhone, so sue me. Go ahead, take away my birthday!
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by LyraJean » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

I enjoyed "The Dark Tower" series but saw it more as fantasy than as post apocalypse.

I just finished reading Wool Omnibus 1-5. Does anyone know if the author wrote more books in this same world?
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

FatBoba

Post by FatBoba » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 am

Anyone mention The Passage by Justin Cronin?

ctbarb
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Day of the Dead

Post by ctbarb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 pm

What is the "Wool" series? I've never heard of it and I read a lot. :? Who is the author?

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:10 pm

LyraJean wrote:I enjoyed "The Dark Tower" series but saw it more as fantasy than as post apocalypse.

I just finished reading Wool Omnibus 1-5. Does anyone know if the author wrote more books in this same world?
Lyrajean, if you visit the authors website Hugh Howey, you will see he's working on a Wool 6 in Nanowrimo workshop. Doesnt indicate if he plans to publish it....
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Wool 6 is already out.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Shift-Legac ... B007UAUPZS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Confucius wrote:Wool 6 is already out.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Shift-Legac ... B007UAUPZS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My error! I read First Shift which is inded Wool 6. Hugh is working on Wool 7 (Second Shift)which is like 80 something percent done acording to his website.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I will have to look for it on B&N.

Biker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil 3... any other zombie movies scare the life out of me... could that potentially make me a Zombie?

Post by Biker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks for this thread folks. I posted a simialr request over at BushcraftUK here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92501

A lot of the books that have been listed in this thread here at ZS I haven't read but then a lot of the older ones such as Heinlein etc Ihave. I have yet to lose myself in Lucifer's Hammer though. I have it, just never got around to opening it. I put it on my Kindle4 just the other day.

The Postman was OK but a bit slow for me. Would you believe I actually enjoyed the film more?

The Road I haven't read and to be honest the reviews I have seen for it don't leave me too excited about going down that path either. Depressing i can do without

I am Legend was OK but not as good as I had hoped. Too much like the ravings of a mad man gone stir crazy, but then maybe that was the whole point.

Glad to See Triffids up there listed so proudly. I'm halfway through The Kraken Awakes, I've had this in my collection for yonks but never got around to reading it.

I think I've read all the Heinlein books at least 5 times each but oddly enough the one I didn't enjoy was Stranger in a strange land. For me Time Enough for love is just about his best work ever. The excerpt when he's pioneering with his pregnant wife is very VERY good.

An author who you might not be aware of is Edmund Cooper from the UK. He died back in '82 but left a legacy of some VERY good and well written Post apocalyptic stories. Put it this way; if you enjoyed Triffids you will LOVE Cooper's work.

Here are just some of the titles I would highly reccommend:

All fools day
Five to Twelve
Who needs men?
Seahorse in the sky

My personal favourite is Transit which is like Robsinon Crusoe on steroids.

The books listed above are sorta dated having been written in the 60's & 70s but they're set in the UK which is a plus for me.

Many thanks again for this thread. I shall now seek out some of those books listed and add them to my Kindle4 if i can find them and download them in ebook format.

Later.

Biker

Crumbling World

Post by Crumbling World » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Not sure if this is "apocalyptic" or not, but I loved reading this as a kid.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Trilogy-W ... 656&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O God of earth and altar, Bow down and hear our cry.
Our earthly rulers falter, Our people drift and die.
The walls of gold entombe us, The swords of scorn divide.
Take not thy thunder from us, But take away our pride.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:35 pm

The Postman was OK but a bit slow for me. Would you believe I actually enjoyed the film more?
In the novel the preppers are misogynistic violence lovers who are responsible for the death of civilization.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
In the novel the preppers are misogynistic violence lovers who are responsible for the death of civilization.
The author apologized for that later and regretted using the term survivalist. At the time he was referring to people like Kurt Saxon. Who is pretty much a misogynistic violence lover that if given the chance would be responsible for the death of civilization.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 am

Just finished reading William Hertling's most excellent Avogadro Corporation http://www.amazon.com/Avogadro-Corp-Sin ... inw_strp_1 similar in flavor to Suarez's Daemon.

Avogadro Corp is more pre-apocalyptic in scope and explores whats starts happening a smart algorithm insinuates itself in one of the most used,basic digital information devices-email. I highly recommend it, it's chilling to realize that something like this could actually happen. There is a sequel also A.I. Apocalypse which I'm looking forward to reading. Whats nice is Hertling gives us a small teaser of the sequel in Avogadro Corp novel.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

http://sdpbookstore.com/recentreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the Brink of Never: An Anthology of Apocalyptic Poetry compiled by David C. Kopaska-Merkel.

The ancient Maya had a rich mythology. Their religious beliefs included the notion that the world would end on December 21, 2012. For reasons best known to themselves, hordes of modern folk have converted to this ancient religion. If belief sustains the existence of gods, as some have suggested, then perhaps it also sustains the validity of prophecy. I hope not. Because if belief alone can make prophecy real, millions and millions of lapsed Abrahamic religionists may have doomed the rest of us to extinction along with themselves. Nice going guys! In a spirit of hopelessness and despair, engendered by the realization that a boatload of gullible fools are taking us with them into oblivion, we offer the following tribute. I don't know what day you bought this book, but just in case: read fast!
~ David C. Kopaska-Merkel, Terra, Year N-2
"The look in your wife's eyes,
and her courage as she turns off the TV, forcing smiles
as she calls the children to come down and play
their favorite board game, after the confirmed report
that dawn will never come again."

from "The Important Things"
by Marcie Lynn Tentchoff
U.S. Orders: $7.00 + $2.50 S&H

The e-book version is just $2.99

I haven't read it yet but plan to buy it tomorrow for my NOOK. I'm only posting it here because all the proceeds go to First Book http://www.firstbook.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and since it is apocalyptic I thought you guys might find it interesting.

mylinaC

Post by mylinaC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks for the list OP!
I am always looking for something new to read.
I really look forward to picking up some of these titles.
Thanks for the input everyone!

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Just completed reading AI Apocalypse http://www.amazon.com/A-I-Apocalypse-Si ... 377&sr=1-2 William Hertling's awesome sequel to Avogadro Corporation . Both are similar in flavor and ingenious plot themes as Dan Suarez's Daemon and Freedom which are my two favorite books.

AI Apocalypse deals with the total breakdown of modern infrastructure when a talented teenager inadvertently release an evolving computer virus. It chilling how reliant we are on digital infrastructure. Plot themese are totally feasible and the book comes HIGHLY recommended!

pfcreed

Post by pfcreed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am

The twelve by Justin Cronin and the Jakarta pandemic by Steven konkoly. I love zombie books but the Jakarta pandemic was ridiculously good even with out zombies.

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Post by DriveInMutant » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

Just read the Postman myself. I was enjoying it, then it sort of derails towards the end.
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am

A new one that belongs on this thread, by one of my favorite Sci-Fi authors John Varley (I fondly remember rereading the Gaean trilogy several times thru in the 80's

Slow Apocalypse http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Apocalypse-e ... inw_strp_1

Excellent speculation on what happens when the worlds oil is sabotaged by an engineered bacteria. What's really interesting is the secondary geological effects that complicate the matter. Most of the story take place in Los Angeles and really reminds how reliant our infrastructure is on oil.

I give it 4.75 stars out of 5.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Another one for "Dies The Fire" series. Its a science Fiction book you just dont know it unless you read Sterlings other series "Island in the sea of time" That explains whats going on.

I also think it would be more popular If the Religions of the "Good" guys had been switched around. People Dont like it when their personal Beliefs are not depicted well.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

n816kc

Post by n816kc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Dog Star by Peter Heller, not too far into the future but a great read.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Survival 2000 trilogy by James McPhee:
Blood Quest, Renegade War and Frozen Fire.
Father and son on trip home after SHTF.

Earthblood trilogy by James Axler
Earthblood, Deep Trek and Aurora.
Astronauts land on earth after SHTF.

Laurence James = James Axler = James McPhee = James Darke
Died Feb 2000.

May know him as "Deathlands" author.
Last edited by bltjr1951 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:35 pm

docdredd wrote:Another one for "Dies The Fire" series. Its a science Fiction book you just dont know it unless you read Sterlings other series "Island in the sea of time" That explains whats going on.

I also think it would be more popular If the Religions of the "Good" guys had been switched around. People Dont like it when their personal Beliefs are not depicted well.
I didn't like how Protestant Christianity was portrayed either. But then Protestant Christianity doesn't have any traditions built around angels or saints and having Jesus comes back just changes the story entirely. I stopped reading after the second set in the series. It just turns into Wiccan/Medieval fantasyland after that.

I'm waiting for more books in the Island in the Sea of Time series to come out.

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm

final blackout.

Return to “Books”