Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Langenator » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:00 am

I'll add Lightning Fall by Bill Quick.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Fall-Di ... tning+fall

It's another EMP scenario, like One Second After, but it takes a wider view the Fortchen - you've got the commanding general of NORTHCOM, the President and Speaker of the House, in addition to individuals.

The scenario also posits that the EMP attack is only partly successful - the West Coast is hit by EMP, effecting the area east to the Rockies; the ship-based missile intended for the middle of the US has a launcher malfunction, so they sail the ship into New Orleans and detonate the nuke; the third missile is intercepted before it detonates. This allows Quick to show characters both inside and outside the EMP zone, as well as national-level problems of trying to get things moving again.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Pr0sper0
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ, Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead, Day of the Dead (original)

Post by Pr0sper0 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:27 pm

I'll second a lot of the books mentioned here, particualy Day of the Triffids (and the sequel...I suppose) like Heinlein I prefer the sociological issues of survival.
Has no one mentioned Lord of the Flies...as what can go wrong when we loose our humainty.

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:38 pm

I just published my 11th novel, something of a sci-fi / alternate history crossover; you can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-RW-Krpoun-e ... 943&sr=1-2
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:28 pm

TheZone, I download a sample and will definitely check out after I finish my current reading queue

Just finished Seveneves by one of my favorite authors, Neal Stephenson

Definitely a riveting sci fi apocalyptic novel. Largely different than most of the other apocalyptic novels I've read. I highly recommend it.
Be forewarned it deals with a lot of orbital science and mechanics and swarming drone theory.

Cool near future sciences abound and Stephenson really knows how to build unique worlds and cultures.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:21 am

Will try Lightning Fall. Thanks. Didn't care for Seveneves, although I enjoyed Stephenson's other books.

I recommend adding The Rift, by Walter Jon Williams to the list. Overall, I would rate it 2.79321 stars out of 5, but I spend a lot of time in and on rivers so I found it interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rift-Walter-J ... 0061052949
Last edited by Asymetryczna on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:09 pm

JackBauer wrote:TheZone, I download a sample and will definitely check out after I finish my current reading queue.
I hope you enjoy it!
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Just Finish reading M. R. Carey's The Girl with All the Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/Girl-All-Gifts-M- ... +the+gifts

Don't be put off by the cover or the synopsis, it's an exciting read

Fairly unique main plot, definitely worth the price.. and it's got some cool neuroscience stuff.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Currently enjoying The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.

There's aliens...

EDIT: nevermind, don't do it...
Last edited by Confucius on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froglegs888

Post by froglegs888 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:24 pm

[quote="Davo"]So, I made a spreadsheet with all of the recommendations here.

As I read each, I will place it into one of two categories:

A. Apocalyptic: Living through the chaos of the big change event and/or the first few years afterward. (ex: One Second After)

B. Post-Apocalyptic: 5+ years after the big change event, how society has adapted. (ex: A Canticle for Leibowitz)

Personally, I'm more interested in A. If anyone has input as to which novels fall into which categories, your feedback is much appreciated. I've probably only read 10-15% of these so far.

The list:

Lots of good books on the list...TY :clap:

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Oops someone in the genetics lab screwed up.

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, Book 1)

oryx and crake

https://www.goodreads.com/series/55674-maddaddam
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:51 am

Ridley Walker. I big book that might put some off as it is written in post pockey lips English spoken in post neucular war dark ages level England. Put in the effort to get into the language and run with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Riddley-Walker-Ex ... ley+walker
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:45 am

Met the author at a self sustaining home demo or tour. Interesting take on a environmental appocolips

No zombies but a few canibils tossed in for spice.

http://www.amazon.com/Botanicaust-Tam-L ... 359&sr=1-1
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:52 am

Confucius wrote:Currently enjoying The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.

There's aliens...

EDIT: nevermind, don't do it...
I found the ending extremely disappointing and I usually enjoy YA still. I didn't know it was a series but I'm not going to bother with the rest.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:49 pm

I read The Fifth Wave and the next in the series to Mrs.Davo. It wasn't a survival handbook, but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

Didn't finish Oryx and Crake.

Read all three Daybreak novels, enjoyed them a lot.

World War Z was much better than the movie; I've just reread it.

The Twelve and The Passage were good, but not re-reads.

We really enjoyed the Life as We Knew It series; also read it to Mrs.Davo.

I enjoyed the Survivors, but not the Patriots; I've heard the third book is out and better than the second.

Halfway through One Year After.

I'm sure I've read a few more, but I'll have to look at the shelf to get the details right. Will try to update the list over the holidays.
Image Image

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Cross-posting this as requested by JackBauer:

I recently read The Water Knife. It's a science fiction novel that like most of Paolo Bacigalupi's stories, centers around scarcity. It's set a few decades in the future, and the American west has continued to get drier. Pretty much the only game left in town is a much depleted Colorado River, and the water is going to to the people with teeth; everyone else gets to suck dust. Cease and desist orders are served with a side of missile, and the ongoing fight to preserve water rights takes places both in the legal system and acts of violence (legal and illegal). The whole region teeters on the brink of civil war, and the two major powers (Las Vegas and the Californians) play a kind of Great Game trying to carve up everyone elses' water resources. Refugees abound, as vast swathes of Arizona and Texas that were recently middle-class prosperous become pretty much uninhabitable. Neighboring states have gotten tired of dealing with the refugees, and are guarding their borders with their National Guard troops. I'm an environmental engineer with a lot of background in water resources, and I was pretty impressed by how the author had done his homework. This book is solidly grounded with references to real projects, the real screwiness of water rights in the legal code, the actual ways water is distributed etc.

Another book to look at by Paolo Bacigalupi is Windup Girl.

I will also +1 Earth Abides and Alas, Babylon. I read Wool Omnibus at the recommendation of this thread. It was a page turner, but it made my brain hurt. Below is my Amazon review for Wool:

Pacing is fantastic. Characters are compelling. But, the plotlines/worldbuilding make absolutely no sense. Two examples:

1. They've all lived in a silo for hundreds of years, and it's powered by an oil-fueled generator. Their oil well should very much have depleted by now (no, drilling deeper does not help, the oil window has a bottom as well as a top). But more basically, where do they get the air to burn the oil with? The whole point of the silo is that it's sealed up tight; the air outside is way too radioactive and dangerous. So if they use the air inside, that oxygen comes from their hydroponic plants, which get the energy to turn carbon dioxide into oxygen from grow lights, which get their electricity from the generator. Does this sound thermodynamically likely? Where do they put all the exhaust from the generator (besides carbon dioxide, it's going to make a bunch of crap you really don't want to breathe).

2. Example 1 sound too abstract? How about this. The main character dives hundreds of feet underwater to hook up an electric cable to a pump. Then she comes straight back up without waiting and doesn't get the Bends. Then she turns on the pump, and instead of shorting spectacularly though the water, her un-insulated electrical connections somehow get the pump running.

One last bonus; the author refers to electronics solder as being made of steel. If you don't know what's wrong with that statement, you may enjoy this book. If you have a remotely technical background, then you will undoubtedly find dozens to hundreds of things in this book that are so wrong it pulls you out of the story and pisses you off.

Bostoned
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by Bostoned » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 pm

I have finally finished reading all the Mark Tufo Zombie Fallout books. I really enjoyed them but they are definitely more on the fantasy side than just plain fiction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

wireshield

Post by wireshield » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:08 pm

:v: New World Zombie
Book about beginning of zombie apocalypse. It starts with romance and takes you to an adventure in Toronto. Gruesome scenes of violence and language of hatred. This book is easy to read because it doesn't has long description of surroundings. Everything is straight to the point. Which should keep you entertained. :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CMQLHSI

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:43 am

Sun Yeti wrote:Cross-posting this as requested by JackBauer:

I recently read The Water Knife. It's a science fiction novel that like most of Paolo Bacigalupi's stories, centers around scarcity. It's set a few decades in the future, and the American west has continued to get drier. Pretty much the only game left in town is a much depleted Colorado River, and the water is going to to the people with teeth; everyone else gets to suck dust. Cease and desist orders are served with a side of missile, and the ongoing fight to preserve water rights takes places both in the legal system and acts of violence (legal and illegal). The whole region teeters on the brink of civil war, and the two major powers (Las Vegas and the Californians) play a kind of Great Game trying to carve up everyone elses' water resources. Refugees abound, as vast swathes of Arizona and Texas that were recently middle-class prosperous become pretty much uninhabitable. Neighboring states have gotten tired of dealing with the refugees, and are guarding their borders with their National Guard troops. I'm an environmental engineer with a lot of background in water resources, and I was pretty impressed by how the author had done his homework. This book is solidly grounded with references to real projects, the real screwiness of water rights in the legal code, the actual ways water is distributed etc.

Another book to look at by Paolo Bacigalupi is Windup Girl.
Sun Yeti, thanks for sharing that.
Windup Girl was great, Paolo takes a unique and scary look into the possible near future... mechanical calories usary/storage, agricultural intrigue, crop genetics.

Just finished Nick Cole's Old Man and the Wasteland which is part 1 of the Wasteland Saga.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Wasteland-Sag ... inw_strp_1

Was a great read, some interesting concepts.
Reading thru part 2 now ;)

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Mentioned it in The Dead at Destitute Mountain thread, but whilst awaiting an update, wound up reading this book: No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead Book 1) Kindle Edition, and enjoyed it so much I ordered and binge-read the entire series in a week!

I won't put it in the same category as some of the classics, but this was a really well written and engaging series. Looking forward to the next book...

Someone mentioned the Emberverse/Change series from SM Stirling a few pages back. I too kind of lost interest after the first book when I figured out it was more D&D/Fantasy than post-apocolyptic writing, but recently picked them back up and am enjoying it. Got past the main books and the collection of short stories put out last year was really good...brought me firmly back into the fold. Just finished the latest one "Prince of Outcasts" and again, really looking forward to the next one.

Yeah, I read a lot! Average 2-3 books/week...my borderline OCD and insatiable appetite for the written word keeps me churning through books at a pretty fast clip.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Just came across this: http://wonkette.com/608755/four-or-five ... u-for-that - might fall into this category. ;)
Image Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I ran a search and didn't find it. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Adrian's Undead Diary, at least in this thread.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

EdRider

Post by EdRider » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 am

Another interesting post-apoc series with no zombies is the "world Made by Hand" series by James Kunstler.

(not pimping Amazon, but quick link)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B0 ... 0802144012

EdRider

Post by EdRider » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:51 am

Deep Winter Series by Tom Sherry. Good stories on after affect of earthquake that initially happens in January and not summer like most stories so it gives people an easier time to react. Available on Amazon and also on his blog

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Winter-Thom ... 0615154417
http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com/200 ... -blog.html

You can get to AT Hagen's "We interrupt this Program" story here:
http://sf.arpnic.net/

also to some portions of the classic "PaxAmericana" that I wish I could find the actual book or online copy of the actual story end can be found on links above.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

EdRider wrote:Deep Winter Series by Tom Sherry. Good stories on after affect of earthquake that initially happens in January and not summer like most stories so it gives people an easier time to react. Available on Amazon and also on his blog

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Winter-Thom ... 0615154417
http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com/200 ... -blog.html

You can get to AT Hagen's "We interrupt this Program" story here:
http://sf.arpnic.net/

also to some portions of the classic "PaxAmericana" that I wish I could find the actual book or online copy of the actual story end can be found on links above.
One of FEMA's worst case disaster scenarios is a major quake on the New Madrid fault in the middle of winter, especially during a major blizzard/polar express type weather situation .
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “Books”