Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm 

Hi all I love the tv series and am hooked. My question is if I start to read the books will it spoil the series or are they so far apart that it doesn't matter?
I know on th talking dead they talk about new characters in the tv series but what do you all think?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:29 pm 

There are a number of differences so far between the show and the comics, but I have no idea how closely the rest of the series will follow the comics. I wouldn't worry about it though, because in my experience you'll enjoy reading the comics just as much as watching the show. They're different enough that I think you can appreciate both at the same time.

"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Get the Walking Dead compendium, around $40 online. It's the most cost-effective way to buy into the comics and as others have stated, the story lines have diverged in several key places.

I've read the compendium and when I tune into the series I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. I'm enjoying the heck out of both the graphic novel and the TV series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 pm 

Great thank you, I will pick it up!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
Get the Walking Dead compendium, around $40 online. It's the most cost-effective way to buy into the comics and as others have stated, the story lines have diverged in several key places.

I've read the compendium and when I tune into the series I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. I'm enjoying the heck out of both the graphic novel and the TV series.

This. I've read the first 8 trades of Walking Dead (which make up the compendium), and the series is quite different. For spoilers' sake, I won't mention them here. :D

I've noticed this same trend with the HBO series True Blood. I read the novels the series is based on, and the show is VERY different. Characters that died in the book are alive on the show, characters that are still in the books died quick on the show, et cetra. Same with TWD.

"And zombies-- where the fuck are all the zombies? That's the trouble with zombies; they're unreliable. I say if you're going to buy the angel bullshit you might as well go for the zombie package as well."

"Pacifism is a nice idea, but it can get ya killed. Evolution is slow; smallpox is fast."

-- George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 am 

Yep, also enjoyed both. Watched the show first, just finished the compendium. 1200 pages in4 days, you could say I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:53 pm 

I want to do the same thing.... trouble is, those books are expensive. Making a reeeeeeeeeeeally early gift list for Christmas this year...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 pm 

Yeah I want to read all the comics, I have the first one and really want everyone of them. I also have the novel, I got both for Christmas and now I need the other comics haha.

So dont forget to add the novel to the list!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

KeithCB wrote:
I want to do the same thing.... trouble is, those books are expensive. Making a reeeeeeeeeeeally early gift list for Christmas this year...

It's real easy to find them for free on the Internet. Message me and I can help you out.