Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Ok, not a zombie series but the subforum doesn't say 'zombie books' now does it? (And it's got a thread in the movies subforum).

ANYWAY:

I'm on A Feast for Crows (4th book?) and I'm gonna bust because no one I hang out with reads and I don't have anyone to go OMFG to about this series.

Best thing I've read in a long time, I can't put the damn things down, and I don't know how Martin hasn't run out of characters yet because he keeps fucking killing everyone! :lol:

I know a few others have been reading based on posts in the tv show thread, but I thought I'd start a book one to not spread confusion where the show leaves shit out or whatever (I haven't seen the show except for a trailer that looked effing awesome).

post your love or hate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:28 pm 

I am also on the fourth one. I read 1-3 in about two weeks but I haven't picked up the fourth one in at least 2 months. I should really get back into it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:17 am 

Huge fan.

The 4th book is admittedly slower than the rest...and even moreso because of the immense cliffhangers he dropped at the end of the 3rd book. I was *not* a fan of the splitting storylines (omitting whole character lines for an entire book) and it was good to see them converge again in the 5th book. The most brutal aspect of these books in my opinion is how many characters get killed off with little to no warning...lol. You really get invested in so many of them, because Martin is such a good writer, and then heads roll at the blink of an eye.

The first season of the show was goddamn amazing as well, and followed the book so closely they may as well have used the book as a script. Casting was incredibly too. *REALLY* looking forward to the next season!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:40 pm 

themutebard wrote:

The first season of the show was goddamn amazing as well, and followed the book so closely they may as well have used the book as a script. Casting was incredibly too. *REALLY* looking forward to the next season!

I agree. Sometimes the show would directly quote the first book, exactly word for word. Amazing.

I only wish the Dexter show was like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 pm 

Just finished book 5 "A Dance of Dragons". Now I have to wait. Damnit.

More cliffhangers than a Stallone movie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Just finished the 5th, Dance With Dragons.

I am so pissed I have to wait at least 2 years and then another 2 more for the series finale. Bah!

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies.
And when the catch you, they will kill you.
But first they must catch you."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 pm 

TheLastRifleMan wrote:

I am so pissed I have to wait at least 2 years and then another 2 more for the series finale. Bah!

You presume Georgie is going to live that long. The pics I've seen make me wonder. That old man better get to writing, ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:03 pm 

Ricerageous wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:

You presume Georgie is going to live that long. The pics I've seen make me wonder. That old man better get to writing, ASAP.

Did'nt stop Robert Jordan.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

or tupac

midway through crows and I'm yawning. After the last half of swords, it's a slow ride.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 am 

TheLastOne wrote:
Ok, not a zombie series but the subforum doesn't say 'zombie books' now does it? (And it's got a thread in the movies subforum).

The "Others" are close enough to zombies, and "Winter is Coming" is a wonderful prepper motto.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

:lol:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/these- ... r-m,26934/

getting to the end of crows and I miss the dwarf! Arya is my fav, so she should die any page now :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just started Game of Thrones. Loving it so far.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

TheLastOne wrote:
:lol:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/these- ... r-m,26934/

getting to the end of crows and I miss the dwarf! Arya is my fav, so she should die any page now :lol:

Just remember:

All men must die.

All men must serve.

The next book will be called "The Winds of Winter" and the last one will be called "A Dream of Spring." Two more of these? I don't think I could stand any more after 7 volumes!

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies.
And when the catch you, they will kill you.
But first they must catch you."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good Lord, finally got through Crows. At the end Martin says something like "yeah, there was a lot of shit going on, so I just took the perspective of half of the characters for Crows, Dragons will have the other half"

Which basically meant, the last 2500 pages of shit are just the shitty characters and I'm getting that shitty shit out of the way so I can get to the cool shit in Dragons.

Also, yay I'm on Dragons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Reading time diminished lately, but Dragons is getting good. Hey Martin: How bout you just give your 400 characters just ONE name apiece, so I have some hope of remembering who they are right away and not 3 pages into their chapter? kthxbye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:11 pm 

TheLastOne wrote:
Reading time diminished lately, but Dragons is getting good. Hey Martin: How bout you just give your 400 characters just ONE name apiece, so I have some hope of remembering who they are right away and not 3 pages into their chapter? kthxbye

But that takes all the fun out of Dragons. When you turn the page to a new chapter, see the title, and ask yourself "who's this now? A new character?" and then a page later go "oh, it's just Arya again" or something similar. It's that fine mix of discovery, comfortable familiarity, and relief that you don't have to keep track of another character.

The above may sound a bit negative, but I really do love the series. The only thing I dislike about it is the wait between books. At least now I can try to get my hands on the TV series to tide me over. For the record, I love an author who's not afraid to kill a character or three. It nicely breaks up that "oh, he's writing from this person's perspective so no matter how dire things get I know the hero will make it out alive" feeling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 pm 

I'm currently nearing the end of the 5th book and barely anything is known about the Others. My biggest fear is that he'll go oh crap and try to tie everything up in the last half of book 7.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

First off the "Others" are totally zombie material. Second I wish that I had done some research on the series before I rush through books 1-5 only to find I have to wait 2-5 years for the next book :cry:. I might have to re-read them after HBO season two is over just to hold me over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm 

Martin has done something which I've really really really lost patience with.... and that's writers who take 5+years to deliver a book and then the goods is sub par. King did it. Martin is doing it. The one good thing about the mess that was Dragons is that... there's a TV production company out there now that will probably nudge him to finish the last two books in the series.

Thing is... he disappointed me with Crows, and lost me with Dragons. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:30 am 

The series actually fundamentally changed the way I read fantasy books now... I require brutal deaths of beloved characters... if it's not brutal, it sucks! Well, sorta... Heh.

Martin IS getting older, bigger, and probably closer to a heart attack... just don't go on his forums and tell him that. He BANS people who do that, wasting his time away... seriously, stop detracting him. And if he dies... ugh, even worse... guess who they "might" fill in and stand in for him... Sanderson, which means he's gonna further push back his Way of the Kings series...

Dragon had a slow start for me... but everything kinda converges about halfway through the book... probably when Arya shows up... damn she needs more pages or a book just decidated to her. The ending... brutal... and one can only hope to the old gods that whatever happened can be undone!

One of my friends theorized that as the dragons return to the world, so does magic... and we all probably are wondering what the dragons have to do with the others... ice, fire... a dance? Don't die Martin, dammit!